Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jenson_Rules

2006 Half-term Analysis

I know that the middle of the season is Montreal but I have always regarded this point as the halfway mark thus I am posting this now.

Here is my half term review of all 11 Teams and my top 10 drivers.

Renault

Well it couldn't have been as good a start as this. They won 3 straight races at the beginning of the year, lost only 3 of the races so far at what have been traditionally Ferrari strongholds. They are by far the best team at the moment. The car is well balanced, fast and relaible and I would predict Renault to be crowned Contructors champions by the end of this season. They have 1 good solid driver and one driver at the top of his game at the moment and they are extremely consistent. On race day they nearly always have the best strategies and tactically they rule the roost.

Mclaren Mercedes

Started off rather averagely, and I honestly felt they would continue their poor form but I am wrong. They are now beginning to look more threatening and the car is finally coming good but is it all too little too late? The MP4 21 itself is fundamentally a strong car but the sweet spot just has not been found. As of Montreal though they are starting to look more solid and I think they could win a race by the end of the year but it will be Kimi not Montoya who gets it. Overall they have improved but they can write off the championships this year.

Ferrari

Winter testing showed them to be a little behind Renault and Honda however come Bahrain this was rectified. They have been the only team thus far capable of fighting the Renaults. They started the season well, but they were not strong enough, reliability issues and general problems with the car showed particularly in Malaysia but since then they have improved. the F240 is easily the current second best car and I think MS will be runner up in the drivers standings behind Alonso. Mirroring his team whom I predict will finish second.

Toyota F1

The car in front is not a Toyota. They just simply havn't got it right this year have they? This was highlighted by the sacking of Gascoyne. The TF106 is not too shabby but it is lacking in all areas leaving the car a little short. The team generally had a terrible start to the season but are steadily improving. They are now in the rather large midfield scramble.

Williams F1

Jenson was awfully kind to buy Williams engines' for them, what a gentleman. Now they have been very confusing. Fundamentally the FW26? is good and has great mechanical grip but the relaibility just hasn't been there. They would probably be ahead of Honda right now if the cars of Rosberg and specifically Webber hadn't have died. The car was excellent in Monaco and they should have gotten many podiums but just havn't. However as expected they are now falling behind BMW, Honda and even Toyota in the development stakes and if those 3 teams keep going the way they are Williams will be fighting lonely battles against the Red Bulls and Toro Rosso's. It's a shame the team has turned into what it has, and lets be honest they ain't gonna be much better with Toyota engines are they?

Honda Racing F1

'Things can only get better' by D:Ream should be their soundtrack. Things just can't get much worse for the Japanese manufacturer can they right now? Yet again the RA106 was a damn fine car, it was excellent infact and was so close to Renault and ferrari but things keep going wrong. The fault does not lie with either driver however, both of whom have been driving well. Honda just havn't been able to develop their Ra106 as fast or as well as Renault, Mclaren and Ferrari thus are lseing steady ground. The new aero parts tested this week should prove helpful in restablishing them as 4th best but who on earth wants to be 4th? The team has made too many errors this season that could have been avoided but Indianapolis did provide a turning point hopefully. They have done the opposite to Mclaren which is a shame but they can catch up, especially now cos they have a new windtunnel and the board in Japan is beginning to demand results. The management needs a reshuffle and I personally would appoint a Japanese head to replace Nick Fry, they need authority and higher pressure. Lets hope by the end of the season they have improved a bit more, after all Honda do say the Power Of Dreams are very powerful indeed.

Red Bull Racing

OK but could be much better. Did not do enough testing during the winter laving them underprepared for the season and they have pretty much 'lucked' into most of their points as the car is simply not up to scratch. I doubt we will see an improvement until the all new Newey designed RB3 appears. They have not been dissappointing but they have not been impressive either.

BMW Sauber

You would never have thought this was the same Sauber team from last year would you? JV has a new lease of life and Heidfeld ha proven to be a valuble asset. The team is beginning to make steady process and the car is fundamentally solid but the developments have helped massively and they are slowly moving up the grid which is of course very good. I expect them to finish 5th behind Honda this year which is not too shabby for a first season. Well Done and they get my prize for most impressive team so far!

Toro Rosso

They are starting to look good but they should have a V8 like everybody else! Overall they have done what was expected of them but to score a point at Indy was a big deal for them and very positive so well done. I expect them to finish infront of Midland and Super Aguri which is at leats not last for the former minardi team. Both drivers have been solid if not a little unspectacular.

Midland

What a waste of time, effort and money this team is. I dislike them and have no interest in them whatsoever. Bring back Eddie Jordan thats all I say. This is when Russian billionaire owneship goes wrong, VERY wrong!

Super Aguri

Well considering the circumstances they have done exceptionally well. Ide was a pile of crap and was rightfull dropped and this has really been their only flaw. They have actually been better than expected even if they are miles off the pace of the front runners but well done. I say good luck to them all and hopefully they can score a point in their all new chassis and beat Sh#tland. So far this season they have pleased me and proved to me that 4 year old F1 cars are NOT as dangeous as I said they would be. :)

MY top 10 drivers so far...

1. Fernando Alonso - Solid, fast, consistent, aggressive. All the characteristics a world champion needs. has been very good. IMO he will be World Champion this year.

2. Michael Schumacher - apart from rascasse-gate he has proved OAP's are still fast and have the desire to win. Has infact surprised me a bit with his pace. I underestimated him :o

3. Kimi Raikonnen - as been devilishly quick on occasion but has looked somewhat disinteested so he slips to 3rd.

4. Jenson Button - his recent results dont show it but he is driving very well and if he were in a renault I truely believe he would be in a similar situation as Alonso currently finds himself in.

5. Mark Webber - Has gone up in my estimations. has been good.

6. Nick Heidfeld - Same as mark really.

7. JV - Same as Heidfeld and Webber. Has surprised a few people and he seems more like his old self which is lovely.

8. DC - What a wiley old fox he is. He has driven well and I still think he could win in a good car. Shame the RB2 can't show his talents.

9. Barrichello - despite wat some might say he has only imo truely beaten Button once this year, Monaco. Hes been good but could be better.

10. Fisichella - Been doing exatctly whats required but is not even close to Alonso. I would add that I rate Trulli, ralf and massa as equal to fisi too.

This has taken me ages to write out and im tired now. But enjoy!

For the most part i agree with you though i do think Button is rated to high. There is no way he has performed 4th best this year. Sure there have been alot of problems for Honda but no more than other teams like Williams and Red Bull.

8. DC - What a wiley old fox he is. He has driven well and I still think he could win in a good car. Shame the RB2 can't show his talents.

I agree 100%. I hope his performance will secure him a 2007 Red Bull contract so he can drive a Adrian Newey built car where i hope he can get regular points and regular podiums. DC has certainly shown everyone that he is still quick and he deserves a good race seat.

i don't agree Jv 7th JB 4th no way ... i'll can give you Jb 4th ok it your opinion maybe i can agree but then Jv for sur eMW, and NH are behind Jv this year ....so

1 FA

2 Ms

3 KR

4 JB but i can put GF too here .....

5 Jv that's for sure ..........

then the others .....

for me JV with the car he has he's doing a better job then NH even NH is getting the points .....

but on the whole Jv is always faster ......

Way to show initiative Ben. I'll post my half term report later next week.

Very impressive Ben, at first I thought you must've posted something from a website cos its very good! I think your list of top 10 drivers is very fair.

Kenneth, only you would put JV as the 5th best driver. He's driving very well but to say he is always faster than Heidfeld is just a complete lie!

I think JV and NH have been fairly even, with JV having the slightest of edges. I don't believe either have always been faster than the other, both have had races where they've dominated the other, but over the course of the season, they've been even. JV is in my top 10, but I won't reveal where...yet.

Can we do them all in one thread? I have a report I did 1/3rd into the season for the top 5 or 6 teams that I can modify a bit, to include the last few races, rather long though. :blush:

Good post Ben. :thbup:

I'm sure many will disagree with aspects, but that is what having an opinion is all about.

Mine would be

1) Alonso - hasnt made a single tiny mistake yet and is finding it easy

2) M Schumacher - won 3 races in a ferrari that is some way off the renault and still able to produce those incredible laps around pit stops

3)Raikkonen - super fast all the time, fighting for the lead whilst his team-mate, who has massive talent, is 3 or 4 places behind

4) Button - most impressive in the first few races. In malaysia he was renault's only challenger, and is still working as hard as ever despite the frustration of a car that keeps getting worse

5) Trulli - unlucky not to have more points, driving as well as ever and deserves more

6) Massa - Doing a great job as number 2, consistently finishing in the points and surprising people recently.

7) JV & Heidfeld - both driving extremely well for BMW and it would be massively unfair to sack JV who is pretty much on the same level as his team-mate

8)Webber - some great performances but only put him 8th cos he may be flattered by having a rookie team-mate

9) Fisichella - this year the car is more reliable but he's still too far away from alonso. Still solid though

10) Barrichello - 6 places below Button because of his poor performances in the first 4 or 5 races. Has benefited from retirements whilst Button has had to fight his a## off for all his points

DC is just outside the top 10, he's doing great but still being outqualified too often by Klien who is supposedly not good enough

DC is just outside the top 10, he's doing great but still being outqualified too often by Klien who is supposedly not good enough

DC's qualifying has never been his strength but if you look at the statistics then he hasnt done that badly compared to his teammate. So far there have been 10 races and DC has outqualifyed Klien on 5 occasions.

I made these comments awhile ago and have updated them (at the end) to include the recent few races. I haven

All seems pretty fair except i can't see the point of reading people talking about their favourite driver, they will if not overrate them atleast look at them in much more depth then other drivers which would be unfair. On a similiar note could anyone who is not a Button fan write about him? To me his overtaking manoeuvres in Bahrain where the only highlights of 2006 for him so far (and people complain about Tilke's tracks making F1 more bland...) and even then i think the car had the pace to be on the podium comfortably, I think his only chance to excel will be when traction control is removed but even then I couldnt be certain.

I know that the middle of the season is Montreal but I have always regarded this point as the halfway mark thus I am posting this now.

Here is my half term review of all 11 Teams and my top 10 drivers.

Renault

Well it couldn't have been as good a start as this. They won 3 straight races at the beginning of the year, lost only 3 of the races so far at what have been traditionally Ferrari strongholds. They are by far the best team at the moment. The car is well balanced, fast and relaible and I would predict Renault to be crowned Contructors champions by the end of this season. They have 1 good solid driver and one driver at the top of his game at the moment and they are extremely consistent. On race day they nearly always have the best strategies and tactically they rule the roost.

Mclaren Mercedes

Started off rather averagely, and I honestly felt they would continue their poor form but I am wrong. They are now beginning to look more threatening and the car is finally coming good but is it all too little too late? The MP4 21 itself is fundamentally a strong car but the sweet spot just has not been found. As of Montreal though they are starting to look more solid and I think they could win a race by the end of the year but it will be Kimi not Montoya who gets it. Overall they have improved but they can write off the championships this year.

Ferrari

Winter testing showed them to be a little behind Renault and Honda however come Bahrain this was rectified. They have been the only team thus far capable of fighting the Renaults. They started the season well, but they were not strong enough, reliability issues and general problems with the car showed particularly in Malaysia but since then they have improved. the F240 is easily the current second best car and I think MS will be runner up in the drivers standings behind Alonso. Mirroring his team whom I predict will finish second.

Toyota F1

The car in front is not a Toyota. They just simply havn't got it right this year have they? This was highlighted by the sacking of Gascoyne. The TF106 is not too shabby but it is lacking in all areas leaving the car a little short. The team generally had a terrible start to the season but are steadily improving. They are now in the rather large midfield scramble.

Williams F1

Jenson was awfully kind to buy Williams engines' for them, what a gentleman. Now they have been very confusing. Fundamentally the FW26? is good and has great mechanical grip but the relaibility just hasn't been there. They would probably be ahead of Honda right now if the cars of Rosberg and specifically Webber hadn't have died. The car was excellent in Monaco and they should have gotten many podiums but just havn't. However as expected they are now falling behind BMW, Honda and even Toyota in the development stakes and if those 3 teams keep going the way they are Williams will be fighting lonely battles against the Red Bulls and Toro Rosso's. It's a shame the team has turned into what it has, and lets be honest they ain't gonna be much better with Toyota engines are they?

Honda Racing F1

'Things can only get better' by D:Ream should be their soundtrack. Things just can't get much worse for the Japanese manufacturer can they right now? Yet again the RA106 was a damn fine car, it was excellent infact and was so close to Renault and ferrari but things keep going wrong. The fault does not lie with either driver however, both of whom have been driving well. Honda just havn't been able to develop their Ra106 as fast or as well as Renault, Mclaren and Ferrari thus are lseing steady ground. The new aero parts tested this week should prove helpful in restablishing them as 4th best but who on earth wants to be 4th? The team has made too many errors this season that could have been avoided but Indianapolis did provide a turning point hopefully. They have done the opposite to Mclaren which is a shame but they can catch up, especially now cos they have a new windtunnel and the board in Japan is beginning to demand results. The management needs a reshuffle and I personally would appoint a Japanese head to replace Nick Fry, they need authority and higher pressure. Lets hope by the end of the season they have improved a bit more, after all Honda do say the Power Of Dreams are very powerful indeed.

Red Bull Racing

OK but could be much better. Did not do enough testing during the winter laving them underprepared for the season and they have pretty much 'lucked' into most of their points as the car is simply not up to scratch. I doubt we will see an improvement until the all new Newey designed RB3 appears. They have not been dissappointing but they have not been impressive either.

BMW Sauber

You would never have thought this was the same Sauber team from last year would you? JV has a new lease of life and Heidfeld ha proven to be a valuble asset. The team is beginning to make steady process and the car is fundamentally solid but the developments have helped massively and they are slowly moving up the grid which is of course very good. I expect them to finish 5th behind Honda this year which is not too shabby for a first season. Well Done and they get my prize for most impressive team so far!

Toro Rosso

They are starting to look good but they should have a V8 like everybody else! Overall they have done what was expected of them but to score a point at Indy was a big deal for them and very positive so well done. I expect them to finish infront of Midland and Super Aguri which is at leats not last for the former minardi team. Both drivers have been solid if not a little unspectacular.

Midland

What a waste of time, effort and money this team is. I dislike them and have no interest in them whatsoever. Bring back Eddie Jordan thats all I say. This is when Russian billionaire owneship goes wrong, VERY wrong!

Super Aguri

Well considering the circumstances they have done exceptionally well. Ide was a pile of crap and was rightfull dropped and this has really been their only flaw. They have actually been better than expected even if they are miles off the pace of the front runners but well done. I say good luck to them all and hopefully they can score a point in their all new chassis and beat Sh#tland. So far this season they have pleased me and proved to me that 4 year old F1 cars are NOT as dangeous as I said they would be. :)

MY top 10 drivers so far...

1. Fernando Alonso - Solid, fast, consistent, aggressive. All the characteristics a world champion needs. has been very good. IMO he will be World Champion this year.

2. Michael Schumacher - apart from rascasse-gate he has proved OAP's are still fast and have the desire to win. Has infact surprised me a bit with his pace. I underestimated him :o

3. Kimi Raikonnen - as been devilishly quick on occasion but has looked somewhat disinteested so he slips to 3rd.

4. Jenson Button - his recent results dont show it but he is driving very well and if he were in a renault I truely believe he would be in a similar situation as Alonso currently finds himself in.

5. Mark Webber - Has gone up in my estimations. has been good.

6. Nick Heidfeld - Same as mark really.

7. JV - Same as Heidfeld and Webber. Has surprised a few people and he seems more like his old self which is lovely.

9. Barrichello - despite wat some might say he has only imo truely beaten Button once this year, Monaco. Hes been good but could be better.

10. Fisichella - Been doing exatctly whats required but is not even close to Alonso. I would add that I rate Trulli, ralf and massa as equal to fisi too.

This has taken me ages to write out and im tired now. But enjoy!

Very well written and balanced. I largely agree with you. Let me point out that it was a very good narration and it was in my eyes- objective, fair and balanced.

Good Job young Ben!

Great topic, Thanks Ben for your analysis.

I generally agree with a few exceptions

KR

He has done little this year to impress. A couple of drives through the field when he was forced to start at the back, but nothing any good F1 driver in a fast car couldn't do. Massa did it once in the Ferrari this year as well, and no one is claiming him to be in the top three. I feel you have KR placed third because of past history. Kimi has actually goofed up and lost positions in the race. I'd move him down the list. IF KR is not careful his stock as a driver could be heading down in a big hurry.

Button Fourth????? I would move him down the list a couple of places because frankly Honda is a big disappointment and have not given JB a car that he can show his skill in. Both Button and Kimi get to stay in the top 10 in my list only because of their past.

Massa

I would substitute him for Mark Webber in your list, and move Webber down the list, but in front of RS.

NH maybe move him up to fourth and place JB and KR between him and JV. Heidfield, has not made any errors and is doing well in the races, he just needs to start qualifying better as JV is starting to get quite the edge on him there.

Good news is you have JV as a top ten driver, which is fair. Something I believed last year as well, but faced much criticism over.

Well cheers for the positive feedback, I wrote all that out at like 1am so theres probably a few spelling mistakes etc. But thats generally my feelings of the season so far. I must say though, I apologise for not discussing Midland but I hate that team so much that I couldn't bring myself to be positive in any way about it.

This is my estimate of the best drivers right now, but based on all races to date, not just this season, although clearly those races will weigh more heavily in my judgement here.

1) Alonso - probably just ahead of Finn.

2) Kimi - destroying JPM more expertly than last season, impressive.

3) Michael - no one now can match his performance of old, not even he.

4) Jenson - he's got a long, long way to go to move up from here.

5) Rubens - coming on strong now and really threatening Jenson.

6) Massa - quick but error-prone of course. Overall not bad though.

7) The ol' baggy pants bogey-man - this can't last long I'm sure.

7.5) His team-mate - doing OK.

9) DC - having a good year. Great to see.

10) Mark - Still unproven. Has potential though and I like him.

11) Jarno - v. talented but v. inconsistent alas.

12) JPM - worse than inconsistent. He hasn't realised his potential at all.

13) Fisi - disappointing.

14) Ralf - mediocre.

15) Nico - has talent, will be top ten within a year or two.

The rest) Who cares.

Ben, Kay, I am completely impressed and that doesn't happen very often. Very well done!! :clap3:

I won't dispute anything in your reports because they are your take and to pick it apart would be in bad taste. I will also say that Murray's, though short, was still sweet. Good job.

I'm debating whether or not I should write one... :eusa_think: Perhaps I'll just enjoy the thoughts of the forum instead...

yes write one autmn, I would like to read your views of the season thus far!

I doubt Montoya will even try for a win now given that we know he's leaving F1, wouldn't blame him for leaving early.

well he has no chance of a win now, hes out of F1 for good. Well I'm very happy about that!

well he has no chance of a win now, hes out of F1 for good. Well I'm very happy about that!

shame on you! f1 needs more characters like JPM

not only his personality but a racer who is brilliant at overtaking and exciting to watch

I'm afraid I have seen little ''spectacular'' overtaking by him, only crashes and rookie mistakes this year, F1 does not need him thus I am pleased he is leaving to pursue a career in the lowest form of motorsport there is. :lol: Good Luck JPM with ur future!

I'm afraid I have seen little ''spectacular'' overtaking by him, only crashes and rookie mistakes this year, F1 does not need him thus I am pleased he is leaving to pursue a career in the lowest form of motorsport there is. :lol: Good Luck JPM with ur future!

well you must have not been watching him very much! what are his rookie mistakes then? the collision in usa was not a rookie mistake, and saying its his fault is only your opinion!