Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Karta

Qualify Change

Quali format 5 minutes shorter

Today, the F1 commission came together and decided that the final session of the qualifying, also known as the super pole will be shortened by 5 minutes. After all it makes no sense to let 10 cars burn up race fuel to lower the weight of the car and therefore increase their chances for a pole position.

Renault F1 team boss Flavio Briatore earlier proposed a similar change. Formula One is already expensive enough while burning unnecessary fuel is even worse for the environment.

Apart from this, it was proposed at the meeting that Spa-Francorchamps should definitely return to the 18-race calendar of 2007, probably at the expense of Hockenheim. Fuji, meanwhile, looks likely to replace Suzuka as Japanese GP host.

http://www.f1technical.net/news/3466

Well, 5 minutes less to watch them go around doing less i suppose. Assuming this is right.

The perfect solution (and thus, being perfect, wasn't used) would be for each team to declare privately to the FIA what fuel load they would be starting with and run all three qualifying sessions on light fuel.

Apart from this, it was proposed at the meeting that Spa-Francorchamps should definitely return to the 18-race calendar of 2007, probably at the expense of Hockenheim. Fuji, meanwhile, looks likely to replace Suzuka as Japanese GP host.

Got to be happy with the return of Spa to the 2007 calendar. :D I'm not a fan of the new Hockenheim track, I loved the old track with the long straights through the forest, then the challenge of the stadium section with low downforce.

The FIA / F1 Commision are doing something right for a change, this makes me think that the next stupid decision is just around the corner.

the fact of being "wasteful" should have nothing to do with the decision. motorsport, altogether, is wasteful. just that spending all that time out there to burn up fuel is pretty lame.

this is not good for the weak teams, like RBR, or BMW, since they need more time than great teams like Ferrari to do a good lap.

this is not good for the weak teams, like RBR, or BMW, since they need more time than great teams like Ferrari to do a good lap.

This does not really matter, all it removes is 5 minutes of pointless driving. Do not look at it as last five minutes taken away, look as five first one taken away :P

then it isn't anything bad.

well if it was me i'll keep the first two sessions as it is and give a single timed lap for the top 10-one at a time on track-low fuel......

The perfect solution (and thus, being perfect, wasn't used) would be for each team to declare privately to the FIA what fuel load they would be starting with and run all three qualifying sessions on light fuel.

Hmm you mean sorta like the old rules for 1hour qualy, but just for that final session? :D

Hmm you mean sorta like the old rules for 1hour qualy, but just for that final session? :D

Have the three sessions. That eliminates most of the complaints about traffic. All three sessions would be light fuel. We'd get to see who the fastest of the fast really is.

Truthfully, I saw no problem with the old system, but whatever. All these qualifying systems prove one thing for certain. The best team/driver will always be at the sharp end of the grid.

Truthfully, I saw no problem with the old system, but whatever. All these qualifying systems prove one thing for certain. The best team/driver will always be at the sharp end of the grid.

yeah but it did throw in a few upsets this season.....

I agree with BMW although perhaps them needing more laps of late is not true as they are as fast as Honda I think now.

RBR? Why you mentioned them I don't know... They have only made the top 10 cut once I think. :eusa_think: