Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

irishfemalefan

Indonesia

Hi all

just wondering if any one here is either from Indonesia or has spent any time there? its just i have been offered a job there and could really do with more info before i decide

wow thats a long way from ireland what job is that then? secret agent?

haha - if it was & i told you then id have to kill you :D

nope its teaching English - i was going to settle for moving to Spain but then got this offer from Jakarta & now im all confused :eusa_think: as you say its a very long way from Ireland, thats why i want to be well prepared & knowledgable before i decide :blink:

I dont know about the Indonesian people but from what ive heard i dont particularly like the Indonesian government as they have done some rather questionable things in there recent history.

Plus its a bit of an unknown. Unless you really know the country and the area I wouldnt even consider it!

Is it moving on a temporary basis or permanent?As far as i know Indonesia is a poor country and you 'll probably miss Europe very much!But its a change!

Hi all

just wondering if any one here is either from Indonesia or has spent any time there? its just i have been offered a job there and could really do with more info before i decide

indonesia is a nice country (my neighbour country so in the spirit of asean i have to say its nice) but tht depends heavily on which part of it ur going to... its made up of a few thousand islands... and it has the largest muslim population in the world ....

generally the city (jakarta)is like other citys in asia which is damn packed... ppl evrywhere u look... ppl are generally very friendly... but u have to understand tht their level of literacy is very low... they prob can speak a few words in english but dont count on them knowing more thn tht...

generally in Malaysia we dont have a very good opinion on indonesians because we have a lot of illegal immigrants from sumatra who sneek in through the straits of malacca and cause all sorts of social havoc in our country...

I work with a man who originally hailed from Indonesia. He mirrors amjay's statements. One other note to consider is that the monetary exchange rate is highly in your favor there.

Are you sure you want to go to an Islamic country? A severe one at that? A place where women are treated like crap? Perhaps the only good Islamic country is Turkey,since they allow women lots of liberty.

There are some things which money can't buy! Better to stay on in Europe & make less money but enjoy life full of freedom!

Indonesia is not among safest places really from what i have read, also climate there might be hard for you (altough not totally sure what kind of climate is there).

Thanks for all your comments - it was Jakarta i was offered the job in & was just about to accept this week and now a tsunami has just hit the island :( Think i may have to rethink that one!!!! Pity too as i was starting to get keen :( Though i would idealy love to go somewhere that has an f1 race (or even good coverage) and my second love Rugby too - OOPS maybe im been too picky :eusa_think:

Are you sure you want to go to an Islamic country? A severe one at that? A place where women are treated like crap? Perhaps the only good Islamic country is Turkey,since they allow women lots of liberty.

There are some things which money can't buy! Better to stay on in Europe & make less money but enjoy life full of freedom!

indonesia is not a severe islamic country.... women there are treated equally... the islamic laws apply only to muslims and not everyone... which means if u are a christian u r allowed to practice ur religion freely..... islamic countries are getting a bad name around but actually its not the country but just a certain sect of its people (extremists) tht goes into terrorism....

malaysia is also pretty much an islamic country and there a lot of laws here which will draw heavy criticism from the west but if u were to come here u wouldnt even realise ur in a muslim country coz these islamic laws only apply to muslims and in fact muslim women here dun even have to wear the head scarf unless they want to and its pretty much the same in indonesia...

indonesia is not a severe islamic country.... women there are treated equally... the islamic laws apply only to muslims and not everyone... which means if u are a christian u r allowed to practice ur religion freely..... islamic countries are getting a bad name around but actually its not the country but just a certain sect of its people (extremists) tht goes into terrorism....

malaysia is also pretty much an islamic country and there a lot of laws here which will draw heavy criticism from the west but if u were to come here u wouldnt even realise ur in a muslim country coz these islamic laws only apply to muslims and in fact muslim women here dun even have to wear the head scarf unless they want to and its pretty much the same in indonesia...

looser boy! did u read that?

i heard that indonesian guys are pretty humble, esp if you happen to be a white. as long as you dont mess with the locals i guess there wudnt be a problem! well....the only probs is that its very prone to natural disasters.

why dont you just go and sneek there for a couple of weeks and see if you can adjust with the people there? just a suggestion!

In all honesty, I would feel suffocated living in an Islamic country ,irrespective of the amount of freedom given. A country branding itself on religion..no way!

I am most likely to be pilloried for the above statements. It'd be obvious ,given that in today's world the right to dislike peacefully is dead.

In all honesty, I would feel suffocated living in an Islamic country ,irrespective of the amount of freedom given. A country branding itself on religion..no way!

I am most likely to be pilloried for the above statements. It'd be obvious ,given that in today's world the right to dislike peacefully is dead.

it is ur right to dislike something.... just pointing out tht its not all tht bad living in an islamic country... and btw countries dont brand themselves by religion.... e.g. my country constitution has nothing in it tht says its an islamic country but because the majority of the population are muslims ..it got branded anyway.... when majority of the people are muslim and they want to be governed by the laws of the quran... its called democracy, the government does what the ppl want... but then again they never go against the constitution which says all races and religion are equal... thts why they have a thing called syariah law which is only applicable to muslims.... even tht has been amended to suit modern times....

anyway just curious what on earth are u going to suffocate from in a country which gives u the freedom to do all tht u want.... or is it tht ur simply against the religion?

On the main island the people are very tolerant of other's religion. My friend at work is Christian and he says he has no problems. The rule of thumb seems to be 'respect everyone's right to worship, and you will also get respect'.

Remember, I have not been there; I'm just going off what I've been told by a former citizen. Take it with a grain of salt...

.. or is it tht ur simply against the religion?

i can probably answer that....the answer is mostly yes!!!!

On the main island the people are very tolerant of other's religion. My friend at work is Christian and he says he has no problems. The rule of thumb seems to be 'respect everyone's right to worship, and you will also get respect'.

Remember, I have not been there; I'm just going off what I've been told by a former citizen. Take it with a grain of salt...

the fact is, when you are a foriegner to a place, you must respect the rules and regulations of that country. when you do something and get arrested for it(let it be whatever it is) and come to know that was illegal to perform there, there is no use of saying that you didnt know about it.

for example in india it is illegal to speed above 60km/hr even in a highway! but these days even busses go double the limit, and ive gone 60x4 km/hr in a bmw, but may be once in a blue moon il be charged up to rs.500(slightly more than 10$) but if only i were to be caught in a country like finland i would have to even sell my house to may those bills!!!!!

the reason why i compared india and finland is to point out the fact that even though it is illegal to overspeed in both the countries, one country takes it really serious, the other country doesnt. like this there are many laws that may be taken very seriously, and some laws that may be there but people may act as though they didnt know about it. people who have travelled well will agree to me i guess!

it is ur right to dislike something.... just pointing out tht its not all tht bad living in an islamic country... and btw countries dont brand themselves by religion.... e.g. my country constitution has nothing in it tht says its an islamic country but because the majority of the population are muslims ..it got branded anyway.... when majority of the people are muslim and they want to be governed by the laws of the quran... its called democracy, the government does what the ppl want... but then again they never go against the constitution which says all races and religion are equal... thts why they have a thing called syariah law which is only applicable to muslims.... even tht has been amended to suit modern times....

anyway just curious what on earth are u going to suffocate from in a country which gives u the freedom to do all tht u want.... or is it tht ur simply against the religion?

loser boy is probably goin to say yes, thats what i mean