Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cavallino

Drivers Who Should Be Off To Nascar

46 members have voted

1. 1. Which other current F1 driver do you wish to send to NASCAR

• Jacques Villeneuve
    • David Coulthard
    • Pedro De La Rosa
    • Jenson button
    • Tiago Monteiro
    • Takuma Sato

It hasn't been forgotten because to everybody except some JB fans (I emphasise some as Ben and Jem are in agreeance with me, I think) and the British media at the time, JB beat JV most definitely, but was helped by strongly mitigating circumstances, and therefore did not effectively destroy JV.

Further, had JB's beating of JV turned JV into a nobody, then he'd have never come back to the sport and signed two contracts (Renault and Sauber) on the same day to return to the sport.

End rant.

Because as shown by them both, given the right car, they can do the job.

How was he lucky? I mean sure he had the best car, but he had to firstly see of his teammate (which he did by over 30 points I believe and 7 wins to 1) and Michael Schumacher.

See above re. Frentzen. HHF had the same car but lost out as JV won 7 GP's and he only 1. Sure he had the best car, but he made use of it. It speaks alot for JV that a team of the calibre of Williams who were in the top 2 teams at the time took an interest in the kid, and he was quick right away.

As for him not winning since then, I ask you to nominate a car which he has driven since he left Williams, was capable of being driven to victory. JV was the first to score points and podiums for BAR (when they were crap by the way) and hasn't been in race winning machinery (Renault 2004 the exception but there were mitigating circumstances).

Statistics DO NOT prove JB finished off JV as, apart from his 10 month sabbatical, JV marked his return to the sport with not 1 but 2 contracts signed on the same day to return to the sport. How is that JB finishing off JV?? As for JV being mentally strong, he is, but that amount of wasted work and garbage from your own team boss would get to everybody, as it got to JB much quicker than it did JV.

I hope you enjoy JB wasting away his future at Honda just as JV did. You won't be so ignorant after he leaves Honda winless and dejected as JV did, I assure you.

A good post from you there mate and I admire your passion for JV. :thbup:

Only disagreement I have there is when he drove for Renault for the last few races of 2004, he was as good maybe as Alonso in qualifying but in the race he was nowhere. The 10 month lay off no doubt contributed to that as he proved in the Sauber the following year that he still had race pace and by that time he'd been driving an F1 car for a while again.

I'm not being ignorant to JV, in fact I am a fan of his too but Button bashers ignore the fact that he beat JV when the man himself and other F1 drivers (Montoya mainly) said that Jense would be finished off. It never happened and I'm sure you'll agree that he never let a quality driver beat get the better of him at all in 2003.

If JB wastes his career away at Honda then so be it, it will not stop me from supporting him to the day he retires from F1. ;)

Not weighing in on the debate...really dont care but didnt JB have 2 contracts aswell at that time?
:lol: true, but both of the contract JV signed were valid, and more importantly, honoured.
good post from you there mate and I admire your passion for JV.

Thanks, likewise with you about JB.

Only disagreement I have there is when he drove for Renault for the last few races of 2004, he was as good maybe as Alonso in qualifying but in the race he was nowhere.
In China and Japan he was nowhere near him (thanks in part to the 10 month layoff which you acknowledge), but in Brazil, he was matching and even posting faster laps than Alonso and had a fastest race lap only .1 slower. The big gap in that race can be attributed to them running grooved tyres on a damp track and Alonso making a better deal of it than JV.
It never happened and I'm sure you'll agree that he never let a quality driver beat get the better of him at all in 2003.

Oh, Button was a revelation in '03, no doubt about it. I never took exception to the fact that he beat JV, but when I read that he 'finished JV off' and 'destroyed him', that's what I take exception to.

If JB wastes his career away at Honda then so be it, it will not stop me from supporting him to the day he retires from F1.

Totally my attitude towards JV. I feel sorry for JB, I really do as I came to like him during his year with JV. Apart from their silly spat which did no good for both sides, JB could easily have put the boot in JV when he was down, but he didn't. As a fan of a driver who is going through exactly what you're going through, all I can say is hang in there and keep supporting JB. :)

I endured the many downs of being a Damon Hill fan in his post-williams years, so I can hang in there with JB!!!! I have belief in him, must keep fighting the Button cause forever!

Same here, I was a Hill fanatic right up the that horrible race in Japan 99 when he parked up as he'd had enough... The saddest moment in F1 for me. :(

Thats right Villeneuve was the one playing all the mind games saying that Button needs to prove himself.And he did in such a fashion that he had to be replaced by Sato for the last race!!

The press was all over JV asking him about being partnered with the British "Touched by God" Button.

JV replied, he wasn't too concerned as JB hadn't won anything. That statement still holds true to today.

The press was all over JV asking him about being partnered with the British "Touched by God" Button.

JV replied, he wasn't too concerned as JB hadn't won anything. That statement still holds true to today.

And yet he still got beaten by Button, so ended up looking silly

And yet he still got beaten by Button, so ended up looking silly
Yes and No. Yes as his spat with Button was childish and whilst I understand his frustrations, he ought to have just kept quiet as he was in a volatile environment. I say no as JV was effectively right in what he said. At the time the comment was made (2003 pre season) JB had proved nothing and was just an icon for the media. It was insulting to JV that Button, who had done nothing in his career could be compared to someone of his credentials.

I challenge you to prove how JV was wrong when he said what he said, forget what happened afterwards, how was he wrong he actually made those comments, that's all.

The truth hurts for some.

Stop hurting my feelings!! HE WILL WIN A RACE!!! JV only won in a williams-renault so comparing their credentials is an unfair comparison!

JV only won in a williams-renault so comparing their credentials is an unfair comparison!
Granted he had a mega car, but he still had to go out and win the race himself. A great car is no good unless the driver is capable of doing the job. In 2001 the Ferrari was the best car by a mile and Rubens never managed to win a race with that car.
Stop hurting my feelings!! HE WILL WIN A RACE!!!

Not the way Honda is going at the moment, and just think, he's got another 2 years after this one ahead of him!

I don't like either but if i had to choose i would side with JB...seem's like a nicer guy or something

However even though I havent voted if I did it would most likely be for JB...can't figure out why though :wacko:

Granted he had a mega car, but he still had to go out and win the race himself. A great car is no good unless the driver is capable of doing the job. In 2001 the Ferrari was the best car by a mile and Rubens never managed to win a race with that car.

Not the way Honda is going at the moment, and just think, he's got another 2 years after this one ahead of him!

yes, yes I know. But in 2 years he's still only be 28, which is younger than Webber and JPM are now, he could still have another 8 or 9 years left once he leaves Honda (which he will)!

But in 2 years he's still only be 28, which is younger than Webber and JPM are now, he could still have another 8 or 9 years left once he leaves Honda (which he will)!

Indeed, but 2 years is more than enough to destroy whatever reputation he once had through driving a bad car. Button isn't the flavour of the month in F1 anymore and the focus is going to be on Heikki, Lewis, Gary, Nelsinho etc.

Yea a lot can change in 2 years but I'll still be a loyal fan, I can see the amazing natural talent that he has and still will have in 2 years time!

Yea a lot can change in 2 years but I'll still be a loyal fan
Good to hear
I can see the amazing natural talent that he has and still will have in 2 years time!

You better hope the team bosses see that talent as well cos it'll be a long struggle for JB and his fans if they don't. I'm telling you this from experience!

Fisichella spent 1997-2004 in uncompetitive cars but his talent was still recognised, so I'm hoping the same will happen for Button! So many times he's fought at the front in car not on the same level as his opponents, and I wont forget that!

I've changed my mind. I thnk Montoya will go 2 NASCAR.

:wtf::wtf: where have you been????

:wtf::wtf: where have you been????
My computer broke & did'nt bother getting it fixed so I got a new 1 just last month & I've created a new account cos I did'nt hav an MSN Messenger @ da time & 4got my password! & now, I hav returned 2 da best place 2 talk about F1 & A1GP!