Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cavallino

The ITV Commentary Criticism Thread

The Monza production is probably going to be horrible. Its funny now that all other producers have managed to hold their bias at bay, the Italians might be the only ones to fall out of line. I rthink FOM might have had a word around though. The French GP 2005 had one of the worst coverages I have ever seen, this year it was much much better. Hopefully the same will be the case at Monza.

I did not mind Allen's emotional outbreak actually. It has been long between drinks for Brits winning...

I can't get a horrible image out of my head. It involves James Allen, lots of permed and jelled hair flying around and his scary orgasm voice. :controller:

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=37238

Anyone else feel less trusting of ITV for being listed with Bild on that website?

I fell the same when i read anything by you, it is slurred and tainted by your dislike for Michael. He is my favourite but i like Alonso too. Only an idiot would suggest blatant favouritism for one or the other without being objective, don't you think?

I fell the same when i read anything by you, it is slurred and tainted by your dislike for Michael. He is my favourite but i like Alonso too. Only an idiot would suggest blatant favouritism for one or the other without being objective, don't you think?

What's anti MS about that post? just showing ITV posting a link (which I consider completely weird, they dont post the online petition for Mosely to quit!) something clearly pro MS in a thread accusing ITV for being anti MS...

What's anti MS about that post? just showing ITV posting a link (which I consider completely weird, they dont post the online petition for Mosely to quit!) something clearly pro MS in a thread accusing ITV for being anti MS...

There's nothing wrong with them puttin the link there. Would i buy a 'I love Fernando' t-shirt if there was a link to it on their site? No. Don't panic, no one is going to love Michael more who doesn't love him already.

I did not mind Allen's emotional outbreak actually. It has been long between drinks for Brits winning...

I didnt have a problem with it, as I felt the same way as Allen!!

I bet you reacted the same way as well :D

I normally watch f1 with my wife but she was out, I was literally jumping around the room and had no-one to hug!

I had a few phone calls from mates though who all know my passion for F1 and JB!

I normally watch f1 with my wife but she was out, I was literally jumping around the room and had no-one to hug!

I had a few phone calls from mates though who all know my passion for F1 and JB!

I would have been dilerious myself. I would have run up to the bottle-shop and bought a magnum champagne, got drunk and then headed out to the pub for a round of bragging :thbup:

I would have been dilerious myself. I would have run up to the bottle-shop and bought a magnum champagne, got drunk and then headed out to the pub for a round of bragging :thbup:

you did that with Alonso first win Ctrl??? :lol:

you did that with Alonso first win Ctrl??? :lol:

Nope.

But I would have done it if one of my countrymen would have won a GP. As that is never going to happen I got seriously animated when Mika became WDC and when Kimi won his first.

talk about stupid interviewing - from itv.com/f1

If Micheal Schumacher has decided what he plans to do in 2007, then he wasn't telling the world's press at Monza on Thursday.

With the current weight of rumour leaning towards retirement, Michael put an immediate stop to the expected barrage of questions in his usual afternoon chat in the Ferrari motorhome.

Instead he chose to focus on this year's engrosing title battle, which by the way is Schumacher's 11th in 15 years.

There among the listeners was ITV Sport's Ted Kravitz who reported back what the great man had to say...

Michael Schumacher: Are we ready? Good.

MS: Just before we start, because obviously it has been written and said a lot recently in the press, but it is obvious and clear what we have communicated over the course of many months.

We will make a statement at some stage in Monza and this statement will be Sunday.

That means that if you will please understand, there is no point to task any questions or get into it, because it will be made clear then and unfortunately not before. So thank you for your understanding.

Q. What time on Sunday Michael?

MS: Thank you next one.

Q. What are the feelings ahead of the Italian Grand Prix?

MS: Obviously I look very much forward to this grand prix as it is a crucial race for us, as all the last four GPs are in terms of the championship.

We had a very good test, we had three good days, but knowing all those days we saw that the competition is very tight. It will be down to the fact of who gets their car sorted out for the conditions.

Although the conditions are very different to what they were in the test.

If we can do that, then we have a great opportunity and a great chance. If we cannot, then we might not have that chance. It is going to be tight, but we are looking forward to it.

Q. What about the new asphalt? Could it be an advantage for you?

MS: I don't see it as an advantage, no.

It is pretty similar for everybody and from the tests and what I have seen, it doesn't seem to be any different. But it is better to drive on, I must say.

It is more grippy. Monza anyway is always a compromise to drive and it takes away some of the compromise.

It makes it simply a bit more predictable.

Q. Does the situation over your future add weight on your shoulders?

MS: We don't do anything that causes extra disturbance.

Everything has been done in a way to quieten the situation because the main focus for us is to race and drive and nothing else.

Q. Would you not have preferred to do the announcement at the end of the championship?

MS: Next question!

Q. It is the first time since June that the gap in the championship has grown. Does that worry you?

MS: I would have preferred it to be the other way around.

For sure it is a worry to some degree, but it is not a worry enough because there are still four races to go.

Twelve points in a way is a lot but it can be very little depending on how things go.

Q. Renault are confident that they can improve their car after Monza. How do you see the fight with Ferrari developing?

MS: I think it will take until the last race, absolutely.

It is for sure, that both sides will improve but it depends on the quicker rate.

Q. There is a chance of rain this weekend. How much of a worry is that after Hungary?

MS: We understood what happened to us in Budapest, and as you saw in certain moments of the race we were very strong and in others we were not.

So understanding the situation, we are not worried.

Q. Have the talks about your future been a distraction?

MS: Honestly the way we choose things that is the way we think is the best. It is probably more a distraction for you guys than it is a distraction for me.

Q. Can it be a normal weekend for you?

MS: Yes I think it can.

Q. How does this title battle compare to previous ones?

MS: I think everyone is different. The main ones I remember and the good ones were with Mika Hakkinen in 2000, and the years before in a way obviously in both directions.

This one has its own character and its own situation.

Q. What would you prefer, a fight for the title, or a more calmer situation?

MS: The fight is beautiful and winning is beautiful. So it pretty easy to understand which I prefer.

Q. How much do you think your experience counts in fighting with Fernando?

MS: I don't see it as a disadvantage. But at the end of the day, Fernando may be very young but he is a long time in motor racing so he has a lot of experience.

I don't see this as the crucial factor.

Well it's been a while since this thread has seen the light of day, but after the appallingly biased and unprofessional commentary of the ITV commentators on Last nights European GP I though it should come back to life.

These ITV guys are clowns. They are paid to be objective observers and commentate on the most interesting aspects of the race. I like everyone else feels Hamilton

Yes they are biased, and deliberately so. They're paid to boost ITV's ratings, which means drawing in as many casual fans as possible, hence the simplified and repetitive coverage.

They even had the audacity at one stage to suggest if Hamilton won the race the current world champion should be made to be his second driver for the rest of the year and not defend his Title. It is this comment that proves they have no longer possess objectivity and should be replaced with professional commentators. How could you ever tell a world champion not to defend his title? Why would anyone want that? Bloody ridiculous!!

Hamilton was no where near the front of the race and all they could do was crap on about him and whether he may score a point. All the while other drivers were performing higher up the track without comment. Who

James Allen said "oh no" when Button crashed out in the most sarcastic and uninterested way ever. There are some of us who still follow the other drivers - myself included. Last year he was their golden boy - yesterday they couldn't even give a toss when he retires from the highest position he's run all year because Hamilton is running on the track a lap down!?!?!

Martin Brundle isn't anywhere near as bad as James Allen though - he picks up on far more that is going on the track, and his technical knowledge and insights are superb. He is by far and away the best thing ITV have got going for them.

Coverage was fine. I had the rare distinction of hearing three different commentaries of this race, and the ITV one was by far the best. Yes, James Allen does go on way too much about Lewis Hamilton, but Martin Brundle more than makes up for it IMO.

And as Jem said, Martin was quite correct to suggest that McLaren might have started to think about defending Lewis's lead- that's not "biased and unprofessional" it's just a plain and simple fact.

Out of interest, why do you have ITV commentary in Australia? I didn't think ITV had a licence for overseas broadcasts.

don't exaggerate, they just said that if Hamilton wins the race then they might have to start thinking about using Alonso to defend Hamilton's points lead.

I'm not exaggerating and you're re-stating my point. The idea of the two time defending world champion being made to not defend his title is ridiculous and not worth comment.

As for your second point, when the leaders were actually fighting with each other and the cameras were on the leaders, the commentators were talking about the leaders..

I don't agree. they talked about Hamilton whoever was being shown.

it would've been exactly the same if any of the other top 3 drivers were down in last. In Canada & France when Alonso was trying to fight through the lead, he got tons of attention from the commentators. You seem to be angry just because we were given updates on where Lewis was, and theres nothing wrong with that. I was interested to know where Lewis was

Not at all the anger is at them ignoring vurtaully all the other drivers. Yes update us on Hamilton, but there is line and they stepped over it by a long way.

Like i say i like Hamilton too, but am interested in all apspects of the race.

I'm not exaggerating and you're re-stating my point. The idea of the two time defending world champion being made to not defend his title is ridiculous and not worth comment.

I disagree. You could say it'd be ridiculous to expect a top driver like Montoya to help Kimi win the title, but they did that in 2005, and if it came to it then they would do it again if 1 driver was clearly far ahead in the standings with not many races to go.

I didnt notice the constant Hamilton talk myself

As for your second point, when the leaders were actually fighting with each other and the cameras were on the leaders, the commentators were talking about the leaders.

Doy you think Raikkonen should defend Massa's points from now on? :nono1:

Both Alonso and Raikkonen will fight for the WDC title against eachother and against Massa and Hamilton. And this is the way F1 should always be. Would ITV commentators say that Hamilton should defend Alonso's points if Alonso gets the lead in the next two or three races?

They're commentators and they are pathetic.

Doy you think Raikkonen should defend Massa's points from now on? :nono1:

No because they're only 7 points apart. I think they meant if Hamilton won and Alonso didnt score many points, then mclaren would have to start thinking about it, cos Lewis would have such a big lead. It would be exactly the same if it was the other way around, so stop constantly acting like Alonso is negatively targeted by everyone on this forum, and on television!

Mclaren always let their drivers race. But in the past, when there's only a few races to go and 1 driver is far ahead of the other, mclaren will use strategy/tactics to use 1 driver to help his team-mate beat the opposition. Whether its alonso or Hamilton doesnt make any difference

They're commentators and they are pathetic.

They have a bloody difficult job and I think they do it quite well, you or I could not possibly do as well as them.

stop constantly acting like Alonso is negatively targeted by everyone on this forum, and on television!

I will stop acting like that when Alonso stops being negatively targeted by many on this forum, and on ITV!

Do you read the forum? I could find loads of posts saying Alonso cracks on presure, Hamilton owns Nando, poor baby Alonso...

Updates? We didn't need updates because they barely shut up about him.

When Alonso was behind in Canada and France he was actually battling with people for points, not running around on his own 30 seconds behind the next car.

EDIT:

That was meant for Jem's first reply about LH.

Coverage was fine. I had the rare distinction of hearing three different commentaries of this race, and the ITV one was by far the best. Yes, James Allen does go on way too much about Lewis Hamilton, but Martin Brundle more than makes up for it IMO.

And as Jem said, Martin was quite correct to suggest that McLaren might have started to think about defending Lewis's lead- that's not "biased and unprofessional" it's just a plain and simple fact.

Out of interest, why do you have ITV commentary in Australia? I didn't think ITV had a licence for overseas broadcasts.

They often say "and to our overseas viewers", so I don't know why you got that impression. We've had ITV commentary since ITV got F1, to my understanding.