Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

monza gorilla

More Entries For Gp Masters?

Never was a fan of Hill's, but would make this series a lot more competive :thbup:

If they can get 20 cars on the grid I think it will really take off. So the more the merrier as far as I'm concerned.

Indeed!!

Russ, I completely agree with you. The Master's series is far more interesting to me that Formula 1 (even though I'm only reading about it...draw what conclusions you will from that ;) ). I wonder...how does Bernie feel to have a series with more potential interest than Formula 1? Perhaps he has a hand in delaying the start of this series..? If he were on the ball, he could perhaps run some of the Master's races during a GP weekend.

I'm all for Hill entering the series. It will be interesting to see what he can do when he's not in a superior car or getting the full support of a team. Mansell is the benchmark and so far, no one can match him. I think Hill could make the races a bit closer. Also, I'm getting the sense that Hill is now racing for himself, instead of trying to catch Graham's ghost. This is a good thing, if true...

Now I await the announcement of Prost entering the series...

I just want to know who decided that Eddie Cheeveball is a "GP Master..." :wacko:

I just checked the official GP Master's website (haven't checked it in a while)

ALAIN PROST IS DRIVING??!!!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

I just want to know who decided that Eddie Cheeveball is a "GP Master..." :wacko:

dont worry its also got andrea de cesaris, christian danner, and even a couple of guys i've never even heard of! Prost and Hill should give Mansell a run for his money. Its the early 90's all over again, hooray!

I predict this finishing order in most of the races:

1) Prost

2) Mansell

3) Hill

Cheever....somewhere in the middle.

De Cesaris...somwhere in the grass.

It's very wrong that I'm more excited about the prospect of reading the race reports of GPM than of seeing the German GP...

I predict this finishing order in most of the races:

1) Prost

2) Mansell

3) Hill

Cheever....somewhere in the middle.

De Cesaris...somwhere in the grass.

It's very wrong that I'm more excited about the prospect of reading the race reports of GPM than of seeing the German GP...

More likely Cheever running into De Cesaris :mf_tongue: I mean good lord he's only a backmarker in gIRL races

More likely Cheever running into De Cesaris :mf_tongue:

:clap3::lol:

I dusted off my forum account over at speedtv and posted a thread about the pitiful 'Highlighs' package that they are showing of the GPM. Pathetic. I hope tons of people add to that thread....

...we need the races, not the highlights...

:clap3::lol:

I dusted off my forum account over at speedtv and posted a thread about the pitiful 'Highlighs' package that they are showing of the GPM. Pathetic. I hope tons of people add to that thread....

...we need the races, not the highlights...

Don't count on it those type of threads have habit of dissapearing real quick :nono1:

Don't count on it those type of threads have habit of dissapearing real quick :nono1:

:lol: You're probably right. I had to try.

The plot thickens..............

Damon Hill will test a Grand Prix Masters car on Thursday to familiarise himself with the 600bhp machine ahead of a possible race debut at Silverstone this weekend.

The 1996 world champion has expressed an interest in taking part in the series for retired Formula 1 drivers and has been in talks with the GP Masters organisers about joining the grid at his home event.

A spokesman for the series confirmed that Hill will try the car out during three hours of free practice on Thursday ahead of the official start of the meeting on Friday.

Organisers emphasised that at this stage Hill has not confirmed his intention to race.

However it is believed that he will use the test session to get a feel for the car and determine whether he wants to compete this weekend.

Hill last drove a single-seater when he sampled a GP2 car at Paul Ricard in June 2005.

He also had a recent outing in a Mercedes-Benz DTM car at Brands Hatch, an experience which he said made him have second thoughts about hanging up his helmet.

If he races this weekend, Hill will be the third former world champion in the GP Masters field, along with 1992 title-holder Nigel Mansell and 1972 and

I think it would be a good thing to have the BRDC President actively racing, especially at Silverstone. I hope he finds the cars as much fun as the rest of the 'Masters' find them.

Russ (or anyone else), do you know why Prost is listed on the official GPM website but not confirmed as a driver? Seems a bit odd to me but here in the States, I'm not privy to the latest info..

Let's hope Hill drives and Is not using this just to promote Silverstone and the Masters series!! :mf_tongue:

Hah! I hadn't thought of that! I hope he's serious as well..cheap promotions bore me...

A bunch of interviews for you:

http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpass_new...es_art_id=28995

I think it would be a good thing to have the BRDC President actively racing, especially at Silverstone. I hope he finds the cars as much fun as the rest of the 'Masters' find them.

Russ (or anyone else), do you know why Prost is listed on the official GPM website but not confirmed as a driver? Seems a bit odd to me but here in the States, I'm not privy to the latest info..

Prost will not commit to the series. He says he wants to race but for some unknown reason he just won't sign up. I don't believe we'll be seeing him in GP Masters any time soon.

Danner on pole for Silverstone (itv-F1.com):

Nigel Mansell may have won both Grand Prix Masters rounds held to date, but the 1992 world champion will need all his legendary overtaking skills to continue that streak in his home race at Silverstone after a disastrous qualifying session on Saturday consigned him to the back of the grid.

Mansell managed just one slow lap before a radiator hose detached itself as he braked for Vale, pitching him into a spin and bringing his session to a premature conclusion.

Christian Danner stepped into the breach to take a hard-fought pole position with a lap of 1m36.916s/118.64mph. The lanky German won the inaugural Formula 3000 championship in 1985 but spent his Formula 1 career with back-of-the-grid teams Zakspeed, Osella, Arrows and Rial. He edged out former Ferrari and McLaren star Stefan Johansson by just 16 thousandths of a second, with a similarly infinitesimal margin separating the Swede from local hero Derek Warwick.

Cheever wins Silverstone GP Masters

Sunday, 13, August, 2006, 14:54

Eddie Cheever won an incident-filled Grand Prix Masters race at Silverstone with a textbook performance in treacherous wet conditions.

The 48-year-old American took the lead on the third lap and got the better of an entertaining race-long duel with Eric van de Poele, who brilliantly charged through from the back of the grid.

Polesitter Christian Danner came home third ahead of Hans Stuck, Alex Caffi and Riccardo Patrese, on a day when, by and large, the lesser names upstaged the established stars.

The race was an unmitigated disaster for crowd favourites Nigel Mansell and Derek Warwick.

Mansell spun on the formation lap and received lengthy attention in the pits while his mechanics tried to get to the bottom of what was causing the car’s evil handling.

They corrected an alignment problem and Mansell rejoined for a couple of exploratory forays, but after several further low-speed spins the 1992 world champion sadly parked ‘Red 5’ for good.

It transpired that the differential had exploded on his way to the grid, causing an uneven distribution of power between the rear wheels and making the car impossible to drive.

Warwick started third but spun at Luffield at the end of the first lap while avoiding Jan Lammers, who had gyrated in front of him.

Derek kept the engine running but soon afterwards collided with Rene Arnoux on the approach to Stowe and had to retire with broken suspension.

itv-f1

The one time I hated to see an American win. :mf_tongue:

Really?! An American driver has only stood on the top step of an F1 podium 33 times in the history of the sport. Moreover, Scott Speed is flying the flag for you at the moment. I would milk this result if I were you! From my point of view it was a shame that Mansell had gremlins. Although I was never a fan of his in his prime, he is my favoured driver in the GPM.

Really?! An American driver has only stood on the top step of an F1 podium 33 times in the history of the sport. Moreover, Scott Speed is flying the flag for you at the moment. I would milk this result if I were you! From my point of view it was a shame that Mansell had gremlins. Although I was never a fan of his in his prime, he is my favoured driver in the GPM.

I admire driver skill, not driver nationality, and under that microscope, Cheever doesn't rate my admiration. A few 4th places in Formula 1 isn't too shabby, but also nothing to crow about! I regret that American drivers look more to our homegrown motorsports than to face off against the best of the world. I think the quality of American drivers in Formula 1 would improve if we would compete against the International community. As it stands now, we see the courageous Americans enter Formula 1, but not really the best.

I, too, favor Mansell in the GPM but I wish he'd have stiffer competition.

I agree with you wholeheartedly. Cheever did finish second on a couple of occasions but, as you say, was nothing special by F1