Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Autumnpuma

Take A Sledgehammer To Those Wings...

I can't fight the tide any longer. Formula 1 is fast becoming a spec-series, so what the hell, I'm posting my ideas for a better, more fun, F1 (sorry Ron, no squirt-guns). All of these suggestions are possible, and I'll save you reading how each can happen...I'll just list 'em for now:

1) Somebody listen to David Hobbs and take a sledgehammer to all those wings and greeblies. Knock 'em all off.

2) Get rid of pit stops. If that would make the race too short, then my compromise would be one manditory stop.

3) Bring back slicks.

4 No driver aids.

Anybody else have any thoughts/ideas?

Bring back shifters

I agree with both of you, but with some other ideas. No telemetry! (I believe Gerhard berger also champions this idea)

Shift your own gears, but I'm ok with paddle shifting just not semi auto.

Open up the engine formula: let the constructors build what they feel is appropriate subject to, say, a maximum capacity, not what they're told to build.

I agree with both of you. I'm still old-school and I would prefer a side-shifter where you have to take one hand off the wheel but paddle-shifts will do just as well.

Those are all great ideas, but I have another idea ive had for a while...

Ban radios! go back to pit boards.

The only reason you should know that you need to push is when you can see the opposition in your mirrors!

If you miss your pit board, though Sh#t! wait for the next lap.

I dont like hearing on the team radio when schumi for example is 20 seconds ahead, that Kimi has taken a second out of him and that he should pick up the pace.

What do you guys think?

i agree with the grear shifiting but at those RPM a gearbox will never last without atleast peddal shifters.

the three things that i think need to be changed are

1. Slicks, Slicks and more Slicks, and with that the removal of all wings other then the front and back, no winglets, nothing other then downforch from the chassis and wings

2. a rule about engins that makes sense, no use in racing if for the last half of a race you have to run limited revs to preserve the engin. just say that the engin has to last from friday to sunday, and if it blows up any time in between, make the punishment reasonable, 5 spots max, 10 is just ludacris. and when it comes to size and shape, just say max of 3.6L and v12 but if you want to build a v8 with 3.6L or a v12 with 2,4L your welcome to build what you want

3. and lastly, take launch control totaly away, along with TC and everything else that makes the driver work less. the only thing to keep is the pitlane speed limiter for safty.

and postlastly, bring back exotic fules.

im saying to do away with useless crap on the cars, but also not to stunt development of new things, ceramic brakes, carbon prettymuch everything and seamless shift gearboxes are the way of the future, so make those the areas teams have to improve on, not $2million on a winglet thats 6cmx6cm

Good thoughts. Although the old-school shifters would work fine. I like the 'no radio' bit quite alot. Let's make the guy with the pitboard earn his keep!

Funny most of what you all are saying is in the 2008 regulations.........

I know. For a spec-series, Formula 1 will be pretty good in 2008 ;)

Spec series doesn't means bad racing, I guess you saw the Cosworth DFV era, so you'd know that well.

The truth is we hate the engine freeze because it goes against the spirit of F1, and more importantly is a huge overreaction. But it will have no impact on the racing.

Spec series doesn't means bad racing, I guess you saw the Cosworth DFV era, so you'd know that well.

The truth is we hate the engine freeze because it goes against the spirit of F1, and more importantly is a huge overreaction. But it will have no impact on the racing.

The Cosworth era was a different animal altogether. A spec-series is one in which the governing body mandates all teams follow a 'spec' for every part of the car so that all the cars are equal. That is different from all the teams deciding to run a particular engine. You know that, you just don't want to spin it that way because it wouldn't support your opinions...I understand. ;)

You know that, you just don't want to spin it that way
I know. For a spec-series, Formula 1 will be pretty good in 2008

My spin your spin, if F1 2008 is a spec series then the Cosworth era was a spec series, in fact more of one sincethe engines were identical.

The difference is in choice. The teams made the choice to run the Cosworth. In a spec series, you don't have any choice except what the governing body gives you. You cannot seriously be saying that to not have a choice is a good thing? (That last part was my spin :D )

*Upgrade to V12

*No DRIVER AID [Keep Only Traction]

*Slick

Those are all great ideas, but I have another idea ive had for a while...

Ban radios! go back to pit boards.

The only reason you should know that you need to push is when you can see the opposition in your mirrors!

If you miss your pit board, though Sh#t! wait for the next lap.

I dont like hearing on the team radio when schumi for example is 20 seconds ahead, that Kimi has taken a second out of him and that he should pick up the pace.

What do you guys think?

I've though of banning the radio and think it would have a big impact in a great way. Not sure if pit boards should even be kept, let the driver manage the car and when he feel's the tires cant go on anymore and fuel's running short then he can go pit. Then when he goes to pit the team will have to react to it, some kind of way for the driver to comunicate what tires and fuel load he wants I guess aswell, or else the team gives him what they think is best and he try figure out what they want him to do :P

No telemetry aswell, the driver's input would have a much greater effect on setup.

Making F1 more of a guessing game without the percision they have now should be all you need to spice things up.

I am going the opposite way of most of you.

Keep the V8's, just add turbo's.

Slicks

No TC if every sort of sophisticated damper systems are allowed

No launch control

Keep radio's but let all teams listen to all communications

More downforce

Seamless shifters to be awarded :lol:

Three mandatory pitstops (I like pitstops)

Push to pass button with more revs

I am going the opposite way of most of you.

Keep the V8's, just add turbo's.

Slicks

No TC if every sort of sophisticated damper systems are allowed

No launch control

Keep radio's but let all teams listen to all communications

More downforce

Seamless shifters to be awarded :lol:

Three mandatory pitstops (I like pitstops)

Push to pass button with more revs

I like it, but I have the opposite view on pitstops. Get rid of them altogether. If you still want a 2-hr race, then I'll compromise and have 1 mandatory stop.

No launch control??

they dont use that now?

They can't use electronic 'launch control' but certain teams, Renault being one of them, use a mechanical means of 'launch control' which is legal.

I agree with both of you, but with some other ideas. No telemetry! (I believe Gerhard berger also champions this idea)

Shift your own gears, but I'm ok with paddle shifting just not semi auto.

Open up the engine formula: let the constructors build what they feel is appropriate subject to, say, a maximum capacity, not what they're told to build.

I just re-read this thread, and MG has a few very good ideas here worth bringing back to the forefront.....(especially the bolded sentence)

All you have really aburd fantasies about what would make the racing more interesting. since i have no patience for much of teenager fantasies over here, I will still to the topic and post a cool video from youtube...

this one is of a McLaren F1 GT car (in the American Lemans series I think, not too sure). Watch the car fly up as it loses downforce in dirty air of the car in the front.

This is the problem with F1 these days. The rear wings are so fine tuned these days, that it is impossible for another F1 car to follow closely in the corners. A great example was in the Turkish GP where Schumi was all over alonso and much quicker in S1 and S3. But in the fast and twisty S2 he lost a ton of time as he couldn;t follow too close as the front of the car would not work in the dirty air of Alonso's car....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_NmpKe596Q...ted&search=

guess I am preaching to the choir....watch the video ...

3. and lastly, take launch control totaly away, along with TC and everything else that makes the driver work less. the only thing to keep is the pitlane speed limiter for safty.

Did you see how Alonso was breathing after the race?, take those "helps" away from him and he will retire or he will die in a race.

I like technology, and I like to see how FIA try to make F1 slower and engeneer try and usualy make those car go faster and faster, I like innovations like the gearbox and the engine in one package, Mass Dampers, (banned but maybe can be used in our streets like many other divices in F1) Take those "aids" away and will be soon comparing F1 with IRL or Champ Cars, F1 will never be the same without those devices that you would like to ban.

I want to see more electronic aids, I think that the main reason for those aids is not for making the driver's job easier I think is to make the car goes faster and that's what I want to see, I want F1 as the fastest motorsport in the word, I would like to see turbocharge engines again, especial fuel, cars that can be fixed from the pits, whatever can make the F1 even more sophisticated than what it is today.

I'm sorry to say this but if you want to see F1 cars like they were before, you can always get a good historic video and let the F1 keep evolving like is supose to.

I like it, but I have the opposite view on pitstops. Get rid of them altogether. If you still want a 2-hr race, then I'll compromise and have 1 mandatory stop.

Take away the lengh of the race.

Every race should last until Schu get the first position, and just in that moment the race is over.

I'm just dreaming...

No Traction Control

No Launch Assistance

V8 Engines no development restrictions but Rev Limit to 19k

1 Engine per race weekend + 0.5secs to qualifing time for every engine change

Remove all aerodynamic devices attached to the bodywork (winglets and such)

Modify the design regulation for rear wing so it creates less dirty air

Slick Control Tyres

Simplify the design of Suspension/Dampeners is regulations

Keep padle shift gearbox

Make Radio Communications avaliable to all teams at all times

Bring back 1 hour free for all low fuel qualifying

Limit testing during season

No Traction Control

No Launch Assistance

V8 Engines no development restrictions but Rev Limit to 19k

1 Engine per race weekend + 0.5secs to qualifing time for every engine change

Remove all aerodynamic devices attached to the bodywork (winglets and such)

Modify the design regulation for rear wing so it creates less dirty air

Slick Control Tyres

Simplify the design of Suspension/Dampeners is regulations

Keep padle shift gearbox

Make Radio Communications avaliable to all teams at all times

Bring back 1 hour free for all low fuel qualifying

Limit testing during season

Change the mane from "Formula 1" To "Nascar 1"