Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chris Strange

Theissen: 'No Guarantee JV Will Be Back'

BMW team boss Mario Theissen has admitted Jacques Villeneuve's Formula One career could be over.

The former World Champion will not race this weekend in Hungary, with the after-effects of his Hockenheim crash blamed for his absence.

Test driver Robert Kubica stands in to make his Formula One debut and Theissen revealed Villeneuve will not necessarily return to the race seat when he is fit.

He said: "There are no guarantees in life. We just want to see how the weekend works and take the decision after that."

Theissen was believed to be reluctant to retain Villeneuve this year before a watertight contract forced his hand.

The German is an admirer of Kubica, who he plucked from obscurity to make him test driver this season, and would relish giving the youngster a prolonged run in the race car.

Theissen said: "We don't have a decision on the outstanding races of this season or next year either.

"We are starting to think of next year and certainly this is an opportunity for us to see how Robert copes with a race situation.

"I expect him to do well. After the weekend we will evaluate the situation."

Theissen is full of praise for Kubica's performances this season, which have seen him regularly top the timing sheets in Friday practice at the expense of more experienced testers.

He has no doubts that will translate into race speed, adding: "He has proved to be much more mature than you could expect from a 21-year-old.

"He has performed exceptionally at the tests. Apparently he has a good judgement on how far he can go. Despite being very quick he has almost never gone off.

"I am very confident he will be up to it."

That could mean the end for Villeneuve's turbulent Formula One career, with no other teams expressing an interest in the 1997 world champion.

Kubica took a cheeky swipe at his BMW-Sauber colleague when asked why Theissen should chose him at the Canadian's expense. He replied: "Maybe my pace."

Kubica's first taste of life as a race driver will come as a shock today, when he can expect to sit out large swathes of the two one-hour practice sessions.

He is more used to doing the donkey work of car set-up but now has to worry for the first time about Sunday's race.

"I will run much less than normally on Friday because we have to save tyres and the engine," he added.

"It will be something strange for me because I am used to running more on Friday."

And he could do with the practice at the Hungaroring, revealing: "I have raced here in Formula Renault but it was the fourth race in my career so I don't remember a lot of things."

I'm certainly not a big fan of JV ,but this f****g guy Theissen what a b#####d :thbdn:

I actually hate BMW even more now after this. At first i thought yeah, good for Kubica to prove himself while JV is recovering but what!?!?!? What utter bulls##t. I knew BMW would do this, the first chance they get and they get rid of JV, who has infact been driving awfully well!

everybody knew this, someday Mario was going to kick Jacques.

If this is the way JV has to go, so be it. He's earned back the respect of most of the paddock and some F1 fans he lost over the past few years and has won over some critics, so there's always a positive.

I don't see how they can shove him out if they could not earlier, but I hate them for doing it, it goes against every ethical principle. The fact that JV is keeping quiet for now means things aren't settled yet, I hope JV comes back next race. Kubica will get his chance irrespective.

I don't see how they can shove him out if they could not earlier, but I hate them for doing it, it goes against every ethical principle. The fact that JV is keeping quiet for now means things aren't settled yet, I hope JV comes back next race. Kubica will get his chance irrespective.

What are you going on about :blink:

If BMW think JV is not up to scratch they are well within their rights to replace him with whoever they choose. These things happen in F1, what is the big deal? BAR dropped JV for Sato, McLaren dropped JPM for PDR - sh!t happens :rolleyes:

Grandprix.com are reporting that JV has already signed a Nascar deal and predict JV will not return to F1 again!

If BMW doesn't want JV why should he bother fighting them? His record speaks for itself, all that remains is that he retain his dignity and self respect.

Just my opinion, so there <_<

He either has a race drive contract or he doesn't, I presume he does because Super Mario wasn't keen on him for this year. If he does, keeping him out when he is fit will be a breach, it could get ugly. Shaun would know more about this, but I remember him saying that JV has a pretty clear race drive contract.

I don't like teams who do this, Red Bull going to the press saying they want to break a contract with Ferrari, the great Button, Montoya - you sign a contract, you stick to it.

I think, JV is going to join Montoya next season or in 2008, in NASCAR! He's 35 year old, he got a WC title :blush: (fo wich he didn't fight for in the next season or the next one or the....) and that's just about what he achived in F1! He should pull back and give a chance to the youngest drivers to come to light in F1, he kind of showed us with what cen come off over these past 10 years! -_-

He either has a race drive contract or he doesn't, I presume he does because Super Mario wasn't keen on him for this year. If he does, keeping him out when he is fit will be a breach, it could get ugly. Shaun would know more about this, but I remember him saying that JV has a pretty clear race drive contract.

I don't like teams who do this, Red Bull going to the press saying they want to break a contract with Ferrari, the great Button, Montoya - you sign a contract, you stick to it.

You forgot about Alonso! :excl:

well after today....there is fuel added to that speculation.....maybe JV is'nt going to be back in a hurry...

Shaun would know more about this, but I remember him saying that JV has a pretty clear race drive contract.
It was a race contract as you say. As they've come to a "mutual agreement", I believe JV might have something in the pipeline for next year. I just hope it's in F1.
He's 35 year old, he got a WC title (fo wich he didn't fight for in the next season or the next one or the....)

You do know he was in a dodgy Williams the next year and then he sold away his career at BAR. You as a Schumacher fan should remember from last year that no matter how good you are, the car has to be top notch to fight for the title.

His record speaks for itself, all that remains is that he retain his dignity and self respect.

He's certainly kept his dignity and self respect throughout this whole affair.

What are you going on about :blink:

If BMW think JV is not up to scratch they are well within their rights to replace him with whoever they choose. These things happen in F1, what is the big deal? BAR dropped JV for Sato, McLaren dropped JPM for PDR - sh!t happens :rolleyes:

Are you suggesting that JV was replaced with TS on perofrmance grounds!?!

I think that even the JVians would concede that there might be a better option out there. I don't think that this is the issue. The issue is the way in which he has been dropped by BMW, the undignified manner in which he has left the sport and the fact that a gutsy world champion and outspoken character gone, further sanitizing the pit lane.

BMW are a team of principle, despite being offered 30 million dollars by the most imcompetent pay driver ever in F1, they have gone for talent. Mario Thiessen is my hero for throwing JV out of the sport, tohugh I have recently heard that he has been offering his services for 30 million dollars in the paddock. His next step is rumoured to be going to NASCAR with 30 million, with which he will buy the entire series and fix every race so that he wins. 30 million can buy a lot in America, they have no principles there, unlike in F1, where we have great men of principle and determination like Mario Thiessen. Just think of the unimaginable talent that has been wasted in the time that JV has been wasting seats in F1. We've probably lost a hundred potential Sennas, because money that oculd have helped him was all taken away to buy JV a place in F1.

BMW are a team of principle, despite being offered 30 million dollars by the most imcompetent pay driver ever in F1, they have gone for talent. Mario Thiessen is my hero for throwing JV out of the sport, tohugh I have recently heard that he has been offering his services for 30 million dollars in the paddock. His next step is rumoured to be going to NASCAR with 30 million, with which he will buy the entire series and fix every race so that he wins. 30 million can buy a lot in America, they have no principles there, unlike in F1, where we have great men of principle and determination like Mario Thiessen. Just think of the unimaginable talent that has been wasted in the time that JV has been wasting seats in F1. We've probably lost a hundred potential Sennas, because money that oculd have helped him was all taken away to buy JV a place in F1.

Oh Cav you are so hot and sexy for your wisdom, I get turned on by your intelligence. I think we should shag together, can I touch your pimples? :naughty:

Well, that should please everyone :lol:

The issue is the way in which he has been dropped by BMW, the undignified manner in which he has left the sport and the fact that a gutsy world champion and outspoken character gone, further sanitizing the pit lane.

Yeah that pretty much sums it up.