Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

narain fan

Da Matta In A Critical Condition After Crash

Cristiano da Matta transferred out of Intensive Care

Champ Car World Series driver Cristiano da Matta has been transferred out of the intensive care unit at Theda Clark Medical Center in Neenah, Wisc. His condition has improved significantly over the past few days, though he is still not completely conscious, responsive or able to speak.

Da Matta was injured after colliding with a deer that ran onto the track near Turn Six at Road America in Elkhart Lake, Wisc. during a Champ Car Open Test on August 3, and has been at Theda Clark ever since, with his family and several members of the Champ Car community at his side.

Champ Car Medical Director Dr. Chris Pinderski has been in constant contact with the medical staff at Theda Clark to monitor the condition of da Matta.

"Cristiano is still making daily progress while recovering from injury two weeks ago," said Pinderski. "Yesterday, he was transferred out of the intensive care unit to an intermediate care unit at Theda Clark Medical Center. We will now begin the process of planning for longer term rehabilitation which is necessary after significant head injuries."

Da Matta's teammate, Justin Wilson travelled to Neenah yesterday with RuSPORT president Jeremy Dale, to visit da Matta and his family.

"Justin and I are both very happy to see the improvement in Cristiano's condition," said Dale. "The staff here at Theda Clark has told us that he is making remarkable progress, and that is encouraging to us and to the da Matta family."

RuSPORT

Wilson is a class act.

Shorty will be racing soon, I predict. *fingers crossed* I would encourage him to take up a hobby after he is released: Deer hunting (revenge is sweet).

Great news!!!

It's so damned crazy! The track can afford to put up decent walls to prevent this sort of thing. This track is one of America's best and this problem shouldn't have happened.

I am also glad he's doing better. He should recover (knock on wood).

Believe it or not but RA lisence expired before this incedent happened. So they really screwed themselves up. It's a shame with it being such a great track. Anyways I'll be going to the race there in September, doubt there will be any deer then.

Hi folks!

I got some good news on Da Mattas condition.

AUGUST 30, 2006

Major progress for da Matta

There is good news from the Theda Clark Medical Center in Neenah, Wisconsin with Champ Car doctor Chris Pinderski telling US reporter Robin Miller that Cristiano da Matta has "turned the corner" and is now making impressive progress in his recovery. It is nearly a month since da Matta collided with a deer while testing at Elkhart Lake and until a few days ago the situation was not looking good. But, according to Pinderski, da Matta is now "doing great" and is able to communicate in two languages but, while still a little confused, is calling his relatives by name and is walking around.

Pinderski said that hopefully da Matta will be moving into rehabilitation shortly.

source: http://www.grandprix.com/index.html

Hi folks!

I got some good news on Da Mattas condition.

AUGUST 30, 2006

Major progress for da Matta

There is good news from the Theda Clark Medical Center in Neenah, Wisconsin with Champ Car doctor Chris Pinderski telling US reporter Robin Miller that Cristiano da Matta has "turned the corner" and is now making impressive progress in his recovery. It is nearly a month since da Matta collided with a deer while testing at Elkhart Lake and until a few days ago the situation was not looking good. But, according to Pinderski, da Matta is now "doing great" and is able to communicate in two languages but, while still a little confused, is calling his relatives by name and is walking around.

Pinderski said that hopefully da Matta will be moving into rehabilitation shortly.

source: http://www.grandprix.com/index.html

This is fantastic news!!! Keep up the good work Christiano :clap3:

P.S. Welcome Ruffs :D

Super news!!!

Welcome to TF1 Ruff.

From da Matta's Official website (I presume its written by a family member).

Really great news!

Gustavo da Matta - Neenah / Winsconsin @ 06.09 @ 22:58

Dear friends and fans, just a little update about Cristiano's conditions.

Right now he is very strong, talking a lot and whenever he is rested he makes a lot of sense, 'though he does not understand how serious was the accident. The traque has been removed, and he started to eat two days ago, but he's not able to get enough food, so they will keep the feeding tube for a while. Yesterday he ate a cheeseburger, coke and icecream.

He's been walking around a lot and each day doing more physical therapy. As he got more active, we noticed that he's been avoiding doing things with the right arm, such as brushing his teeth and holding the fork. He starting to complain about a pain in his right shoulder. We are thinking that he has something like a muscular injury, probably caused by the time when the car hit the wall. We don't know for sure, the doctors are already doing everything they can to figure it out, but we don't have the official report.

Patients with head injury normally get very confused, agressive, doesn't recognize people and the short term memory doesn't work well. Cristiano is able to recognize all of us, including friends that use to come over. He is not agressive at all, he's been very polite to everyone over here. He is improving slowly but surely, the surgery might happen within three weeks, by that time he will be much stronger than know.

Best regards!

Excellent news. Thanks for that Wez. Here's to a continuing recovery.

Good to hear!

Get well soon dude.

Latest report is that he is ready to return home.

Well done Christiano!

Yeah I seen that on the TV yesterday.

:clap3: Thank God he is out of trouble and can return home :clap3:

Latest report is that he is ready to return home.

Well done Christiano!

It's just fantastic that Christiano has made such a fast recovery!

Great news!

Don't trash talk me, but I taped the CART race on SpeedTV yesterday since it was at Road America, Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin, I love that course. That was where DaMatta was hurt, one of the features on the pre-race show was an interview with him at the hospital. It showed him walking down the hall to the interview and waving. He then played the guitar and sang with his brother. He spoke perfectly and then via TV, commanded the field to start their engines. He looked fantastic, a bit skinny, but after what he went through it was wonderful to see the segment.

Here is a video segment on him, it shows some clips from the pre-race segment. When your done with that one, check out the video of the Katherine Legge crash with six laps to go, my heart skipped a beat when I saw it.

Of course by this time I was fast forwarding through the race. A 4 mile course and these sissy's go full course yellow with a pace car because a driver went into the kitty litter off turn one (without hitting the wall).

http://www.speedtv.com/video_player/index.php?video=122430 DeMatta video update

http://www.speedtv.com/video_player/index.php?video=122429 Legge Crash and interview 3/4 the way through the video.

Kenny

JR,

Found this one after I submitted the post above, thought you might want this one as well as all the other boys here on the site. I think I am going to look into this NOPI thing tonight when I get home. :naughty:

http://www.speedtv.com/video_player/index.php?video=122033

K. L. was so lucky that those cars are built to take that, when I was watching the race I had bad thought's in my head at first, good thing this wasn't the gIRL or we'd be making funeral plans today.....

Ditto to the above posts. I was watching a Tivo'd race and when the crash happened, I hit the 'net for the latest. Cristiano looked good, but he also looked a bit dazed. I'm not so sure we'll see him behind the wheel for a few years, if at all...

Latest from Cristiano's Brother on the official Da Matta Site:

Gustavo da Matta - Neenah / Winsconsin @ 21.09 @ 13:32

Dear friends, I'm very proud to announce that Cristiano is now able to leave the hospital. Yesterday we went out for lunch and dinner, he ate a lot and is ready to get back home and continue his rehabilitation process.

In the name of my family, I want to thank you all for the support you've been given us. On those last 50 days this web page has been our bible, which gave us hope and strengh to go through this.

Warmest regards!

I was at the Road America race. I sat near the area Da Matta had his crash.

When Legge crashed, it sounded really bad. But then when you heard that everything was okay. Just to show how hard she hit the wall, they had to red flag for 45min to fix the wall.