Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cavallino

Rosberg: Williams' New Golden Boy/Last Hope?

Webber's departure throws all the spotlight on him now, Frank probably has him on a cast iron 5 year deal. How far can he go, I am not very sure. He is only just 21.

Anyway I am not jumping onto the bandwagon yet, but just read through a very interesting interview with him in F1 Racing. A fascinating read, though I was quite sceptical intially (a girl on the cover? whatever will they do next). The interview quite frankly is brilliant, and he seems to be amazingly intelligent, self critical and candid. With all this noise about losing 'personalities' in F1, nobody mentioned a new one who joined the paddock. rosberg seems worth 10 Montoyas, giving us some rare insight into the thinking of a racing driver and able to be self appraising to an extent I have not seen from any other driver. This is the kind of personalities we want in F1, it's like someone took an engineer and put him in a racing car (which is quite true actually).

A fascinating read, though I was quite sceptical intially (a girl on the cover? whatever will they do next).

:blink:

I would not read a magazine with such a cover...

Webber's departure throws all the spotlight on him now, Frank probably has him on a cast iron 5 year deal. How far can he go, I am not very sure. He is only just 21.

Anyway I am not jumping onto the bandwagon yet, but just read through a very interesting interview with him in F1 Racing. A fascinating read, though I was quite sceptical intially (a girl on the cover? whatever will they do next). The interview quite frankly is brilliant, and he seems to be amazingly intelligent, self critical and candid. With all this noise about losing 'personalities' in F1, nobody mentioned a new one who joined the paddock. rosberg seems worth 10 Montoyas, giving us some rare insight into the thinking of a racing driver and able to be self appraising to an extent I have not seen from any other driver. This is the kind of personalities we want in F1, it's like someone took an engineer and put him in a racing car (which is quite true actually).

Wurz is also a highly-educated person (engineering also, I believe), so I would expect you to praise him as well as Nico? ;)

Aside from his speed in Bahrain, I haven't seen much to crow about in Nico. I'll wait until next year to appraise him. On-track Nico's rookie year has not been as dynamic as Montoya's.

Wurz is also a highly-educated person (engineering also, I believe), so I would expect you to praise him as well as Nico? ;)

Aside from his speed in Bahrain, I haven't seen much to crow about in Nico. I'll wait until next year to appraise him. On-track Nico's rookie year has not been as dynamic as Montoya's.

But Montoya was not quite as much of a "rookie" as Nico... It is true though, memories of Bahrain are fading fast.

I have many memories of him doing stupid things, like put it in the wall twice in one weekend (Germany). HE can't afford to do things like that @ Williams, if hey are so crash strapped...

I have nothing against Wurz, obivously he's no Fisi or Webber, but the Renault driver bill must be the lowest among all the non pay driver teams. In the interview Nico himself says that Frank describes his salary as 'peanuts'.

I am not inclined to judge him either way there, but he doesn't seem to be the next big thing. Montoya only went backwards, lacked a rudimentary level of intelligence required of all F1 drivers and lacked the single minded commitment needed. A waste of a talent. It's like he never wanted to improve, which is the worst quality a driver can have.
Well, except he hasn't the education of an engineer. That restricts a bit.

The engineering brain's there however.

Agreed, but to be fair Montoya's Williams in 2001 was a quicker machine relative to the other cars and therefore gave him the scope to demonstrate his skill a little easier.

I think it bodes well for Nico. He has made an impact and is now going through a steep learning process. He now realises (as i think Brundle pointed out) that the demands of a season can affect your performance if you are not experienced. With more time and once he starts driving within the limit and not over it i think he can develop into something great. How great is yet to be seen.

I also like his honesty. Too many drivers are afraid to be honest because they think that their bosses can't see the truth. Frank has always said he would rather a driver fall off the road giving it 100 percent instead of a driver bringing it home having given less.

In my view there will be more pressure on Wurz next year than Nico. Wurz has to prove that he can do it this time around, there will be no more chances. Nico isn't in that crunch time posistion, he is still learning.

Agreed, but to be fair Montoya's Williams in 2001 was a quicker machine relative to the other cars and therefore gave him the scope to demonstrate his skill a little easier.

Yes, Montoya had very good equipment and a very good team at his disposal in that year. In light of this, his results were rather unimpressive as matched against the mediocre Ralf Schumacher...

The engineering brain's there however.

Well, analytical thinking is good, of course...

However, there are some drivers who also had technical education, if not engineer level...(Mika Hakkinen, for example had a degree in finnish technical school)

Nico has only a college degree, which means, he is sort of sivilized but he has never studied any technical degree...

The interview quite frankly is brilliant, and he seems to be amazingly intelligent, self critical and candid. With all this noise about losing 'personalities' in F1, nobody mentioned a new one who joined the paddock.

You're right, it was quite good and I second your thoughts on him. As for his on track abilities, he's going through abit of a rough patch at the moment, but he's willing to accept his shortcomings and is working hard to rectify them. He'll go far in his career and is worth all the hype.

You're right, it was quite good and I second your thoughts on him. As for his on track abilities, he's going through abit of a rough patch at the moment, but he's willing to accept his shortcomings and is working hard to rectify them. He'll go far in his career and is worth all the hype.

I will look for the interview. I suspect he might be the most academically able driver around. However I'm not sure how big an advantage it is in F1. Technical understanding is clearly a must but one can also think too much about things, it seems to me. At some stage you have to stop thinking and just rely on instinct. Having said that MS, AS and AP were all unusually intelligent in F1 so perhaps it is a large advantage...

Unfortunately it doesn't go that way.

you can reach certain level by hard working, but to be a star driver, I don't know...

You must remember, that F1 is 'the top of the best', so there is basicly room only for exceptional talents... There are so few seats in the F1 cars.

i think its his locks which make him golden boy! i mean.. williams have 2 get a move on..i think changing to toyota will be better. Rosberg is only a rookie so.. yeah.. u cant expect much from him either. When schumacehr started he wuld have also been crud!

As I said, Nico's having a rough time at the moment. He just needs to keep things together, stay positive and he'll come through all the better for the experience. It's not the fact he has such bad times which is of importance as he's young and guaranteed a seat next year, but how he copes with this which will determine how good a racer he'll be.

i think its his locks which make him golden boy! i mean.. williams have 2 get a move on..i think changing to toyota will be better. Rosberg is only a rookie so.. yeah.. u cant expect much from him either. When schumacehr started he wuld have also been crud!

Well Schumacher is still crud :P

Anyway, what you said is not true, Schumacher was quite astounding from the very beginning.

rosberg keeps making way too many mistakes. If he doesnt improve next season, when there are no excuses, then he should be dropped. The rookie years of kimi, alonso, JPM and Button all had their impressive moments, and nowhere near as many incidents as nico is having. I think the williams 07 line-up is going to be 1 of the worst out of the top 6 or 7 teams

rosberg keeps making way too many mistakes. If he doesnt improve next season, when there are no excuses, then he should be dropped. The rookie years of kimi, alonso, JPM and Button all had their impressive moments, and nowhere near as many incidents as nico is having. I think the williams 07 line-up is going to be 1 of the worst out of the top 6 or 7 teams

I think he ought to have another year... It's not like Williams is a top team anymore.

I think he ought to have another year... It's not like Williams is a top team anymore.

Sad but true :(

If i were Frank i would rather a fast driver who needs calming down than one that is steady but not fast enough. For this reason i think Nico is still a good bet for Team Willy '07.

If i were Frank i would rather a fast driver who needs calming down than one that is steady but not fast enough. For this reason i think Nico is still a good bet for Team Willy '07.

Nico will gradually lose confidence and will then be no good to anyone. Williams should do what Ferrari did with Massa - A year testing as the teams 3rd driver will do Nico the world of good.