Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ykickamoocow

Coulthard And Webber Confirmed At Red Bull

Not the most successful in the last decade - a certain Rory Byrne will have something to say about that.

In terms of actual car design Newey has been very successful. Years like 2000. 2001 and even 2003 McLaren had a good fast car but the engine always let them down. It nearly did the same thing in 2005 when KR was having reliability problems every race.

Nope. Martin Brundle is Coulthard's manager.

And Gary Paffett's manager.

Red Bull have no racing pedigree, no experience and don't take F1 seriously enough. They're going nowhere next year.

I wouldnt agree with that, the guys at red bull used to be jaguar, who used to be stewart etc, its not like they all came in as newcomers. Mateschitz may be new to F1 but the management and decision makers do have the experience.

I'm really surprised about webber, i thought he was surely going to renault! Guess renaults only option now is Kovalainen. I think webber and DC will be pretty evenly matched, with webber probably having an edge in qualifying

I think webber and DC will be pretty evenly matched, with webber probably having an edge in qualifying

Webber will thrash DC, probably into retirement, but that doesn't excuse his utter blind stupidity in leaving Willaims for Red Bull. Madness..

Webber will thrash DC, probably into retirement, but that doesn't excuse his utter blind stupidity in leaving Willaims for Red Bull. Madness..

Come on Cav get some perspective here man!

Williams are a team on the down whilst Red Bull are on the up. A team that regards Nico as it's future should be avoided like the proverbial plague. Williams fcuked up it's partnership with BMW and will do no better with Toyota. Patrick Head, Geoff Willis and the old guard have left a vacuum in Williams.

Jenson Button, JPM and Mark can not all be wrong - Williams is not the place to be.

Williams have been pretty poor this year so yeah i think he did the right thing leaving them.

Must admit im surprised hes not going to Renault and i think him going to RB can only be a good thing. As much as i like Klien (i do) i think bringing Webber in could be just the push that DC needs - i think it would be a close call as to how they will do against each other - obviously DC will have the upper hand at the start of the season but after that i think itll be pretty close - i hope so - it would be good to see these two race properly in the same machinery

Me thinks this happened:

Talks with Kimi hit a few rocks and Flavio wanted to keep his options open about the "other" finn, as if Webber had signed a Williams deal it would be two years, leaving Flavio with probably no options next year...

So he pulls Webber out with the hint of a Renault seat but a guarenteed Red Bull seat, Webber goes to Red Bull for a year, Flavio and Renault have their options open next year. If Webber doesn't do well at Red Bull, Flavio will probably loose any interest in putting him in the Renault seat.

I think it is down to whether Fisi goes or stays next year. I'd imagine with Webber's new contract the balls are in Flavio & Mark's court, whereas with Williams you sign on their terms. Would be more attractive in those terms.

An interesting pairing. Webber and DC need totally different set-ups from a car; I would think this to be a good thing, as the team get more data from that.

Webber will prove to be the faster driver, and DC the consistant points scorer.

Any word on whether RBR are getting their hands on renault engines? Or are they still contracted to... umm... ferrari?

I am disappointed. To me this says that even Flav has no faith in people he manages. While I know Kimi is still available, I just don't see how Red Bull will be that competative next year. Hopefully, they will get the Renault engines and with a Newey design I will hopefully be proved very wrong but if Kimi does go to Ferrari the Renault driver line up looks a little weak. If Flav has preferred a rookie over Webber for the other Renault drive then I would be changing managers if I was Webber. I wonder if this means Kimi IS going to Renault because otherwise I can't understand Flav's reasoning for not taking Webber.

All will be revealed I suppose but Webber deserves to have a competative car or he risks being slowly fading away and losing his F1 career and not because he has no talent but because he won't have a car that gives him the opurtunity to show it.

I hope Flav's decision was not made on sponsorship dollars. Webber will always lose out in that scenario. It stinks that more Aussie businesses don't get behind Webber.

I believe Webber took the only option that was available to him other than Williams. Therefore it's a wise move, as williams has done nothing but let him down. His time in the Jag was in relative terms far more succesful than with Williams. getting back into that succesful partnership now as Red Bull is a smart move. I'm sure had Mclaren or Renault been serious about him he would have jumped at the opportunity. I don't think they were serious in the end.

It will be an interesting battle between Red Bull and williams next year as the two top non factory teams.

I believe Webber took the only option that was available to him other than Williams. Therefore it's a wise move, as williams has done nothing but let him down. His time in the Jag was in relative terms far more succesful than with Williams. getting back into that succesful partnership now as Red Bull is a smart move. I'm sure had Mclaren or Renault been serious about him he would have jumped at the opportunity. I don't think they were serious in the end.

It will be an interesting battle between Red Bull and williams next year as the two top non factory teams.

Totally agree :thbup:

IMHO Williams have a lot more work to do than RBR. Alot of people suggested that BMW were going to be on the back foot against Williams this season but you only need to refer back to the standings to see how wrong that was (NH must be pleased). Williams have got more to prove than any other team on the grid - because all they are surviving on now is their name.

IMO,

2007 will work out like this:

Top Tier

Ferrari

Mclaren

Renault

2nd Tier

Honda

Red Bull

Toyota

3rd Tier

BMW

Williams

4th Tier

MF1

STR

Super Aguri

IMO,

2007 will work out like this:

Top Tier

Ferrari

Mclaren

Renault

2nd Tier

Honda

Red Bull

Toyota

3rd Tier

BMW

Williams

4th Tier

MF1

STR

Super Aguri

That's pretty close to what I'd figure as well. Any of the three 2nd Tier teams could become the Dark Horse and challenge for regular podium spots. Red Bull perhaps less than the Japanese teams, but still a possibility. Great post, thanks!

SO DC will become 2nd driver as Webber is faster than him..

i dont think so, he will remain the leader.

i dont think so, he will remain the leader.

Agreed. Webber will have the edge in qualifying but Coulthard is a more consistant race driver.

no way he is going to lose his leadership.

Your guys write off the BMW Works Team pretty quickly.

Next season is going too be so close.

Winners & Consistant Podiums

Ferrari/McLaren/Renault & Maybe Honda

Occassional Podiums eg...When you get 2 or 3 cars going out from the winners group

Toyota/Honda/BMW & Red Bull

Lucky Podiums

Williams

No Podiums

The Others

I read somewhere that Webber is in fact on 'lease' at RBR and accompanies the Renault engines that RBR will run with next year. If Heikki doesn't perform, Webber could return to Renault in the short term and most likely will replace Fisi for 2008.

I could be wrong of course, so dont quote me.

I'm of that line of thinking as well. Unless Fisi pulls something out of the bag next year, Webber will take his spot.

As for him moving to RBR, I think it's a good move. He'll have a strong teammate in DC and a car with a Renault engine (I assume) and a chassis designed by Adrian Newey. It could prove to be a strong move for Mark and I wish him all the best. Pity Klein has to leave but I don't think he's done enough to remain in F1.

EEx! I thot he wuld go 2 renault! red bull.. thats the same as going back to jaguar! so wher will klien go prodrive next year maybe? So is it kovalainen or fisi in renault? I think its better that web is with DC because of their age group! CK never got along with DC!

Agreed. Webber will have the edge in qualifying but Coulthard is a more consistant race driver.

At this stage you'd assume so but I think we'll see Mark blossom in a reliable car. Hard to judge consistency based on the situation of both drivers. Nonetheless will be an interesting move. I'm wrapped he's with Mr.Newey but I still question whether this is a winning car.

An interesting rumour put forth on the basis of Mark being on a lease contract. A huge possibility.

Is there any further information toward the engine supplier for the 07' season

Is there any further information toward the engine supplier for the 07' season

Just this

Adrian Newey has played down the effect that uncertainty about Red Bull's engine supply might have on the 2007 car.

The Briton is presently hard at work on designing the 'RB3' racer, which will be steered around the circuits of the calendar next season with Mark Webber and David Coulthard at the wheel.

But, behind the scenes, discussions are still ongoing about the identity of the car's power plant, with Ferrari contracted to ship its 2007-spec V8 to the team's UK factory.

Red Bull, however, are keen to attack next year with Renault's new 2.4 litre unit.

With MF1, the two Red Bull squads are the only teams yet to settle on an engine supplier for the '07 season.

But Newey was quoted as telling the Kleine Zeitung newspaper: "It's not a huge problem for us. There are many other things that are just as important."

http://f1.racing-live.com/f1/en/headlines/...808110528.shtml

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This article doesnt actually give alot of information but it appears Newey isnt that concerned with the engine at the moment.

Just this

Adrian Newey has played down the effect that uncertainty about Red Bull's engine supply might have on the 2007 car.

The Briton is presently hard at work on designing the 'RB3' racer, which will be steered around the circuits of the calendar next season with Mark Webber and David Coulthard at the wheel.

But, behind the scenes, discussions are still ongoing about the identity of the car's power plant, with Ferrari contracted to ship its 2007-spec V8 to the team's UK factory.

Red Bull, however, are keen to attack next year with Renault's new 2.4 litre unit.

With MF1, the two Red Bull squads are the only teams yet to settle on an engine supplier for the '07 season.

But Newey was quoted as telling the Kleine Zeitung newspaper: "It's not a huge problem for us. There are many other things that are just as important."

http://f1.racing-live.com/f1/en/headlines/...808110528.shtml

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This article doesnt actually give alot of information but it appears Newey isnt that concerned with the engine at the moment.

Interesting thanks mate. Like most situations in Formula One for a spectator its another wait and see.