Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

raikkonen_dominates

Mclaren Is Going To Drop Kimi?

yeah i know....but still...F1 will start looking crazy if teams start dropping their drivers mid-season because they are going to other teams for next year....esp. a driver like Kimi....

It used to be alot worse. There used to be a time when a soon to be departed driver would be driving the 'old' car whilst he team mate would get all the updates and be party to the technical discussions and debriefs.

Renault cant afford to do the same with FA as they are fighting for both championships.

It used to be alot worse. There used to be a time when a soon to be departed driver would be driving the 'old' car whilst he team mate would get all the updates and be party to the technical discussions and debriefs.

Renault cant afford to do the same with FA as they are fighting for both championships.

Well, it's not hard to imagine that the parts that are in short supply preferentially make their way to Fisi's car. Afterall, the WCC is more important to the team (despite Flavio's protestations to the contrary when it appeared that they might win the WDC without the WCC last year).

MCLAREN hav only them selves to blame for kimi not becoming a 2-time worldchampion, i wonder what makes a person say that he is taking risks to just win race and not care for a podium when he finished in podium this season a couple of occassion, if he wasnt satisfied he could have just crashed on a concrete wall!

kimi can win the titile with mclaren if only they provide a car that is only as fast as the opposition. he doesnt need a second driver to block the rest of the field as few worldchampions did. the only real mistake kimi made last season was in eu-gp when he flatspotted the tyre, but alonso too made a mistake in canada that took him out of the race too....so its even..

one would be an idiot to blame the engine failures on a driver these days because the engine has systems that automatically reduces the revs or the engineers could warn a driver in advance when his engine goes kaboom!

it looks as though alonso win the crown this year and micheal would be forced to stay and retire as a champ, which would force kimi to stick with mclaren.

i wonder what makes a person say that he is taking risks to just win race and not care for a podium when he finished in podium this season a couple of occassion, if he wasnt satisfied he could have just crashed on a concrete wall!

When KR was asked how he felt about losing 2nd place to MS, he said he doesn't care about where he finishes if it is not first, or words to that effect.

When KR was asked how he felt about losing 2nd place to MS, he said he doesn't care about where he finishes if it is not first, or words to that effect.

hes just frustrated that he doesnt win even though hes capable of winning. hes not that stupid to throw away a podium, there were many occassions this season when he said before a race that he would be happy to finish in points or a step in podium.

That is precisely the comment I was thinking of... It was during the post-race press conference of the Canadian GP. It was a disgraceful remark and one that Ron should have taken up with him.

hes just frustrated that he doesnt win even though hes capable of winning. hes not that stupid to throw away a podium, there were many occassions this season when he said before a race that he would be happy to finish in points or a step in podium.

No, it's not just words; you can see it in his driving too.

I'm glad of Bajo's statements because they back up what my view of Kimi has always been. He's bloody fast, perhaps the fastest on the grid, but in order to win a WDC you need to look at the season as a whole, and accumulate point throughout the season. Kimi has shown he's just focused on one race and only on the top step of the podium. He has proven that he will make mistakes (like flat-spotting a tire and running into the back of Liuzzi) just to gain that top step.

Until Kimi learns that a second place is better than a DNF, he will never be WDC.

Until Kimi learns that a second place is better than a DNF, he will never be WDC.

Indeed. Michael should be his role model; the great Schumacher would fight tooth and nail for a single point...

Indeed. Michael should be his role model; the great Schumacher would fight tooth and nail for a single point...

Yes. As did Alonso last season. Alonso isn't the greatest driver on the grid, but he and Michael were the only two playing the points game. In Mikey's case, he never had a shot at the Championship, but he fought for every point he got...finished third despite the huge tire disadvantage. Kimi could have won the WDC last year if he would have reigned in the 'all or nothing' approach to races.

I'm glad of Bajo's statements because they back up what my view of Kimi has always been. He's bloody fast, perhaps the fastest on the grid, but in order to win a WDC you need to look at the season as a whole, and accumulate point throughout the season. Kimi has shown he's just focused on one race and only on the top step of the podium. He has proven that he will make mistakes (like flat-spotting a tire and running into the back of Liuzzi) just to gain that top step.

Good point but i would say in order to win WDC you have to go race by race.

Beside unreliabe Merc. engine in 05 another main reason why Kimi didnt win WDC is that he was thinking of WDC and was not focusing on a race. You cant be WDC with statement that Kimi had / has.

My opinion is that you cant win the WDC if you only think/dream of WDC. First you need to finish the race...like you say better 2nd than DNF.

Not entirely true ;) ...Hungary shown that Ferrari / MS were to greedy.

Not entirely true ;) ...Hungary shown that Ferrari / MS were to greedy.

That was a suspect performance from Michael and I'm at a loss to explain it. Perhaps, he's getting his usual end-of-the-season desperation a bit early this year. One would expect it in Japan or China but we've still 5 races to go :eusa_think:

When you look at these comments you have to take into consideration his personality.

It is true, that he doesn't really CARE about any other than victory and he is very openly arrogant. However, he really loves racing, I mean, thats something he would do if he wasn't paid or anything, it is his whole life, totally.

So I think he always gives his best in track, even if being a sort of arrogant, it is hard to explain.

And there is always CHANCE of victory, you can't know it beforehand, can you?

When you look at these comments you have to take into consideration his personality.

It is true, that he doesn't really CARE about any other than victory and he is very openly arrogant. However, he really loves racing, I mean, thats something he would do if he wasn't paid or anything, it is his whole life, totally.

So I think he always gives his best in track, even if being a sort of arrogant, it is hard to explain.

Does he love racing? Probably, but you wouldn't know it from what he says! God is he ever a mundane interview...

One explanation can be that Kimi was really hoping to win WDC this year. Especialy if we look at the end of last year where Mclaren was #1 car.

So his expectations were huge and all that he got this year was disappointment. Kimi would probably say different things if Mclarens were close to Reno and Ferrari.

So i can understand him a little where he say that he doesnt really care if he lost 2nd place to MS.

Does he love racing? Probably, but you wouldn't know it from what he says! God is he ever a mundane interview...

:P yep, I must admit... however, as a finn I must say that I think his english is pretty good ( our own language, finnish is so totally different from english, that especially pronouncing is hard, I must say...)

If Kimi went to Ferrari it mean's MS isent there and if MS isent there most likely Brawn and Toad wont be there either which all add's up to Ferrari being nothing like it is now, proberly at best be like McLaren is now.

If Kimi goes to Renault he'll be in a team with an uncertain future, smaller budget of the top3 and a big target for the maFIA's BS.

If Kimi stay's at McLaren it will be 2006 all over again only this time when Kimi has the fastest car so will Alonso making for a very big headache trying to win a WDC.

If Kimi dosent stay at McLaren i see Paffett as Alonso's teammate unless DLR prove's to be ultra consistant and fast for the rest of the year.

:P yep, I must admit... however, as a finn I must say that I think his english is pretty good ( our own language, finnish is so totally different from english, that especially pronouncing is hard, I must say...)

How is he in Finnish? Interesting, intelligent?

How is he in Finnish? Interesting, intelligent?

He is different, I think.

Even though same kind of arguments about his talking are given also in Finland as here :D

But I could give an example: I think Hakkinen is considered more 'charismatic' than Kimi and has better public image, but in nature Kimi is more social and 'livelier'.

So what people think in public and what is the true personality are sometimes quite different things.

However, those both guys are really nice, I mean even if Kimi makes some bad headlines, he always treats other people very nice and so. Same thing goes to Mika, my friend was in army same time with him (in Finland EVERY guy must go to army, actually Kimi was also before his F1 career 1 year in army and he was even promoted to sergeant).

This is not necessarily true.

The weird thing is that FM appears to have a concrete contract to drive at Ferrari in 07, whether this is specifically as a race driver or whatever is not clear at this point - If FM & KR have contracts, what about MS :blink:

The weird thing is that FM appears to have a concrete contract to drive at Ferrari in 07, whether this is specifically as a race driver or whatever is not clear at this point - If FM & KR have contracts, what about MS :blink:

The most recent speculation calls for FM to become a highly-paid test driver before reclaiming his race seat in 2008. While he sits out, Kimi would join the team as an equal number one such that Michael would show that he can still compete with the very best in his last year in F1.

The most recent speculation calls for FM to become a highly-paid test driver before reclaiming his race seat in 2008. While he sits out, Kimi would join the team as an equal number one such that Michael would show that he can still compete with the very best in his last year in F1.

As much as it pains me to admit this, but I think MS would be better off retiring at the end of this season. His performance in Hungary was so uncharcteristic that I'm not so sure he can cope with extreme pressure.

True legends know when to call it a day :(

As much as it pains me to admit this, but I think MS would be better off retiring at the end of this season. His performance in Hungary was so uncharcteristic that I'm not so sure he can cope with extreme pressure.

True legends know when to call it a day :(

In Hungary Ferrari had REALLY bad tyres.

Just compare to Massa, MS was doing pretty good... :eusa_think:

It is not all about results, I think MS showed some real fighting spirit.

With Mercedes contemplating the 100% takeover of McLaren; the sudden departure of Montoya; McLarens being also-runs for another year; they might as well start a new page and let Kimi off for the rest of the season. :eusa_think:

In Hungary Ferrari had REALLY bad tyres.

Just compare to Massa, MS was doing pretty good... :eusa_think:

It is not all about results, I think MS showed some real fighting spirit.

His driving was good considering the poor performance of the Bridgestones, but the decisons made in the latter part of the race were strange to say the least. IMHO if he had let PDR pass he would more than likely have beaten NH to 3rd.

MS has always been the master of strategy - his performance shocked me as I was shouting at my livetiming for him to pit or let PDR & NH by - I have never been so p!ssed off with MS since Jerez 1997