Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CrashDummy11

Montoya

This may be eaisly understood by those of you who are huge F1 fans but I am not. Why did Mclaren fire JPM? As I understand it, it is a contact year for him. Meaning he is free to sign with whomever he wishes be it another team in Formula one or for a team in another series (like Nascar). Why was he released when he announced that he was going to be driving elsewhere. IIRC he was 6th in the points at the time.

Then comes the second part of the question. After they throw JPM out of his ride why won't they release him of his contract. How is it of any benifit to McLaren to prevent JPM from running some low level Nascar races this season in preparation for his 2007 campaign in the Nextel cup series? It seems they are trying to hinder JPM as much as possible. Why?

This may be eaisly understood by those of you who are huge F1 fans but I am not. Why did Mclaren fire JPM? As I understand it, it is a contact year for him. Meaning he is free to sign with whomever he wishes be it another team in Formula one or for a team in another series (like Nascar). Why was he released when he announced that he was going to be driving elsewhere. IIRC he was 6th in the points at the time.

Then comes the second part of the question. After they throw JPM out of his ride why won't they release him of his contract. How is it of any benifit to McLaren to prevent JPM from running some low level Nascar races this season in preparation for his 2007 campaign in the Nextel cup series? It seems they are trying to hinder JPM as much as possible. Why?

I would guess that the first and foremost issue for RD are the Sponsorship details. JPM is all over alot of McLaren partners colateral materials, his face is an extension of the McLaren team. Having him photographed in another set of coveralls wouldn't go over very well. The team takes this very seriously.

T

Montoya was not fired and is still under contract as far as I know. McLaren were not going to renew his contract for next year because he was a big disappointment. His form was occasionally good but most often lacking, his attitude sucked and he went through equipment at an alarming pace. He didn't belong in McLaren and never would have been signed but for the apparent quality of his performance in 2003 - we later learnt that this had much more to do with the quality of his package in that year, a superlative machine the FW 25 was - a year in which he should have won the championship but did not.

Why don't McLaren let him drive in NASCAR now? Because, quite simply, NASCAR is an abomination and seeing one of their recent drivers in this series is a huge embarrassment. Better to put as much time between the images of him in his elegant MP4-21 Formula 1 car and a gaudy McDonald's Ford Taurus*

I know Ginassi is sponsored by Target but how long can it be before McDonald's take up sponsorship of the Big Mac-loving Montoya?

Found this "interview" on other website so....here it is:

Montoya says that the bad condition of his McLaren bored him. "To be fighting for fifth-positions is not very amusing".

In an interview with Yamid Amat, the Colombian driver says that the episode of his shoulder injury damaged its relationship with the McLaren team.

Montoya, the highest ranked driver that Colombia has had in motorracing history (7 wins, 13 poles, 30 podiums, 12 fastest laps, 94 starts) has finally decided to speak, and tell us why he has left Formula1.

He doesn't avoid the controversy on whether he really gave up or he was sacked: It is that (he admits it) his relationship with Ron Dennis, his boss and owner of the McLaren team, was terrible. "We weren't in speaking terms."

Some people say that Montoya was defeated by his own prepotence. He clarifies that they confuse total dedication to work with self-importance; shyness with vanity and "they qualify as dislike the right to intimacy."

Montoya loves motorracing and he loved Formula One, but some of its aspects, he didn't. "it is as loving a hospital while being a doctor, not a patient". He no longer praises Formula One. "I decided to leave before starting to curse on it."

"I left because of boredom - he adds -. I wasn't enjoying the races. I had already done all that I had to do and it had almost completed all the goals that I set. I only lacked to win a championship and I realized that the possibility to achieve it was minimum. To leave, was the best decision that I could have taken."

Was it impossible to win the championship?

Not impossible. I Had a chance, but much of it depends on the team that one is.

In other words, you wouldn't have been able to accomplish it with McLaren.

No, it was very difficult.

And why did the boredom arise?

To fight for fifth positions is not amusing. I wanted a new challenge. That's Nascar. Different, fresh. I can run for 10-15 more years. It is another world, it is more relaxed, people are more kind. It is another history...

But, what was causing this fifth or sith position: car or boredom?

The car drove me to boredom. My teammate was also finishing fifth and sixth. We were always finishing in the same place. It wasn't me, it was the car.

Why did you stop being a leader?

I had many problems with the car, there were many changes made, there were many flaws...

Ron Dennis, your boss, was he your friend?

I didn't even speak to him. When I left, his lawyer called mine and told him: "This is what we will do". It was settled this way: lawyer to lawyer.

When and how did you make the decision to leave?

I was very bored. One day I called Ron Dennis and told him: "Listen Ron, I want you to know that today we will announce that I'm leaving. I will run in Nascar with Chip Ganassi and I want you to know it before it becomes public... ".

And did he reply to you?

"Right".

Nothing else?

The conversation didn't last 20 seconds. There was nothing else to talk...

Which shows that the relationship was not good.

Out of work, it was. Not in the professional arena.

Didn't he make any attempt to keep you?

No.

But you had a contract until the end of the championship and you announced, also, your desire to complete it...

Exactly.

Why did they hasten your retirement? Were you sacked?

They said that they were worried for my concentration because, already with a contract in Nascar, my full attention wouldn't be in Formula One. For them it was important to ltake care and lok after their future and that I looked after mine.

Did you feel mistreated?

No. We both said: "Let's finish this, once and for all". It is like when your boss doesn't want you. Even if you give it all at work, if they want to sack you, they do. You reach the goals, but if your boss' eyes don't want to see it, they won't see it.

Was your relationship with Dennis always bad?

The relationship with Ron was very well until when I broke my shoulder. I called him and told him what happened. The English press told another story and they began to have a laugh at Ron for believing my version. And he thought that I made him look like an idiot before the whole world. From then on, the trust was not the same.

And how did you find the call to De La Rosa to replace you immediately?

That's because he didn't have anybody else. Who else was he going to call?

Who will win the championship?

I believe Michael will, and if he wins, I believe that he will retire. It is clever for him to do so.

Why?

Because it could happen to him what I avoided. Michael loves racing and, with everything that he has achieved, he cannot retire losing. He has won everybody.

When did you make the decision of retiring?

I had these alternatives: Another possibility in Formula One, Cart racing, go to Nascar or retiring from motorracing. One night I called Chip to say hi . The conversation in English goes more or less like this. He says: "What else..." I replied "What else, Ganassi.

So what do you think?

My oh my, his attitude is much worse than I thought - what a dead beat!

My oh my, his attitude is much worse than I thought - what a dead beat!

All drivers are more or less arrogant and in my view Monty is not different from any1.

But i didnt post this to disccuss Monty's attitude but if Mclaren had given to both drivers a better car would this happen?

All drivers are more or less arrogant and in my view Monty is not different from any1.

But i didnt post this to disccuss Monty's attitude but if Mclaren had given to both drivers a better car would this happen?

I disagree with the first part of your post but let's set that aside for now. Dead-beat drivers will always find something to complain about so I don't think a better car would have helped. I mean, even if the MP4-21 were winning races, it would be Kimi doing the winning and this would simply bring further attention to Montoya's relative lack of form. I can't imagine that would put him in a better state of mind...

I don't think a better car would have helped. I mean, even if the MP4-21 were winning races, it would be Kimi doing the winning and this would simply bring further attention to Montoya's relative lack of form. I can't imagine that would put him in a better state of mind...

Maybe yes maybe no. It's true that Kimi destroyed JPM last year, but if the "relationship" was down to zero between JPM and Big Ron i could easily expect same thing happens to other driver.

Jarno Trulli for example had a bad relationship with Flavio and his performance dropped instantly.

Biggup that man URKO

Respect!

Great interview :clap3:

:thbup::D

Maybe yes maybe no. It's true that Kimi destroyed JPM last year, but if the "relationship" was down to zero between JPM and Big Ron i could easily expect same thing happens to other driver.

Didn't Montoya say the relationship was fine until he lied about his dirt biking accident? He was getting destroyed before this as I recall.

Biggup that man URKO

Respect!

Great interview :clap3:

:huh:

So what do you think?

Holy crapparoo long copy and paste, next time just quote the link or the article. As all obsessive F1 fans on this forum, mostly likely everyone has already the article, we all frequent the same F1 sites and its all over...just a friendly suggestion....

on the topic, montoyo left as he couldn't keep up at this level. couldn't get a good ride for next year....he will be happier in NASCAR, so good for him...

Didn't Montoya say the relationship was fine until he lied about his dirt biking accident? He was getting destroyed before this as I recall.

:huh:

no1 really knows if he had dirt biking accident right...only MOnty knows. and if i recall he called Ron and told him about the accident.

But you must also understand that the press are speculating all the time and if no pics and / or ppl confirming are not available then you should not believe the press...

Holy crapparoo long copy and paste, next time just quote the link or the article. As all obsessive F1 fans on this forum, mostly likely everyone has already the article, we all frequent the same F1 sites and its all over...just a friendly suggestion....

I prefer people paste the article directly into the post. Some editing to cut out the double spacing would have been useful though...

on the topic, montoyo left as he couldn't keep up at this level. couldn't get a good ride for next year....he will be happier in NASCAR, so good for him...

Well actually didnt submit the link coz it's from another site/forum where i found the article.

I copy/paste it only coz 1 time i was banned from one forum ( not a F1 forum ) for submitting the link to the similar forum about 1 article....so i didnt want to take that risk again. ;);)

I prefer people paste the article directly into the post. Some editing to cut out the double spacing would have been useful though...

Will try to edit it next time ;):thbup:

no1 really knows if he had dirt biking accident right...only MOnty knows. and if i recall he called Ron and told him about the accident.

But you must also understand that the press are speculating all the time and if no pics and / or ppl confirming are not available then you should not believe the press...

No, Monty came up with the ridiculous idea that he had injured his shoulder playing tennis and tried to pass this off as the truth. The reality is that he was dirt biking and witnesses came forward to confirm this after Ron had publicly embarrassed himself by declaring that he believed his driver's accounting of events... Ron was made to look a fool and it is no wonder then that his relationship with Montoya was never the same after. This issue was examined in great detail by this forum, perhaps before your time.

Thank you, sir.

No, Monty came up with the ridiculous idea that he had injured his shoulder playing tennis and tried to pass this off as the truth. The reality is that he was dirt biking and witnesses came forward to confirm this after Ron had publicly embarrassed himself by declaring that he believed his driver's accounting of events... Ron was made to look a fool and it is no wonder then that his relationship with Montoya was never the same after. This issue was examined in great detail by this forum, perhaps before your time.

Thank you, sir.

I think Ron was a fool on KR account many times. So he should start thinking that as well.

No point getting old topic up and running again!

No point getting old topic up and running again!

Not unless people try to adapt the record to their liking. As much as we all hate to drag old topics back into the forum, it is absolutely necessary when people forget the facts of a particular issue. Far worse to have the forum misinformed than bored.

Well actually didnt submit the link coz it's from another site/forum where i found the article.

I copy/paste it only coz 1 time i was banned from one forum ( not a F1 forum ) for submitting the link to the similar forum about 1 article....so i didnt want to take that risk again. ;);)

All cool B)

Thank you, sir.

I accept your account of events. This is serves to show that Ron needs to lighten up and not take petty things too seriously. So Ron got p!ssed that he was made to look a fool in the press - So what - this is F1, JPM could do moons and run up and down the pit naked provided he gets the job done on the track. F1 is a results business, there should be no room for sensitive types.

The amount of mistakes the team has made with KR have been far more embarrasing than anything JPM did.

<_<