Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bajo39

Karthikeyan Hopes To Continue Testing In 2007

India's Narain Karthikeyan is hopeful of extending his tenure as a Williams test driver in 2007.

The Indian 29-year-old debuted last season, but after failing to impress his Jordan/Midland chiefs moved to Sir Frank Williams' squad this year as development ace Alex Wurz's test deputy.

With Wurz graduating to the racing role for 2007, Karthikeyan - whose team job this year has been limited to mainly acting as a representative for personal sponsor 'Tata' - this week expressed optimism that there will be room for him at Grove.

''I hope my future is at Williams,'' he was quoted as saying by United News Of India agency.

Karthikeyan added: ''I'm hopeful of a good seat in 2007. ''Sir Frank Williams is always commending my performance and let's see how it pans out.''

I wonder who will become the new number one tester at Williams? Surely not Karthikeyan...

Williams test driver Narain Karthikeyan revealed on Thursday that he is still hopeful of winning a full time drive next year. He lost his seat with Jordan at the end of last season, but the Indian driver believes his testing role this season has given him the skills to make a return to F1 next year.

And with several driver switches already on the cards, Karthikeyan's chances of returning to the fold are very much alive.

"I'm excited," he said. "There are limited opportunities there, but some still exist.

"A lot of tests are coming up and I'll try and impress the team, but I'm just concentrating on the job on hand.

"I hope I can get a good seat, be it with Williams or somebody else.

"With Williams I'm in a good position," he added. "Obviously, I've always expressed my desire to be coming back and racing on Sundays."

The Indian, who became his country's first F1 driver last year, feels his time with Williams has brought him on as a driver, and is now hoping to stay with the British team as a race driver.

"I'm happy at the moment with Williams," he said. "Whatever they promised with testing and miles and everything, it is going pretty well. I've understood a lot more about a Formula One racing car.

"Like any other driver, it is good to be associated with a big team and I hope my future is here."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He's in a good position for a race seat with Williams? :rolleyes:

I doubt he'll get a race drive.

There are plenty of young drivers who could make the step from GP2 to williams test driver

I doubt he'll get a race drive.

He definitely won't get a race driver... In fact, he would be very lucky to get a serious testing role.

He would be better served trying to convince Frank to let him be the lead tester in '07. Have a good showing in that capacity, and then try to secure a seat in '08.

My impression of Narain is that he's quick over one lap, but lacked the pace under racing conditions. Head-to-head he had slighty more fast race laps than Montiero, but his overall performance dropped as the season progressed. He won't ever win a race and won't ever be WDC, but he could get a few points for a team.

He definitely won't get a race driver... In fact, he would be very lucky to get a serious testing role.

all he needs is another chance for a race seat, i am sure he wil do very well. last year he was driving a jordan running on bridgestones. tg drove slowly and steadly, infact he could preserve the tyres much better. nk instead used its full potential at the earlystages, battling saubers and other midfield running cars during several occassions and he had to start preserving the tyres as the race progressed. i dont know how many of you guys noticed that fact, but i hav noticed it through out. present tyre regulations suits him better than last year.

all he needs is another chance for a race seat, i am sure he wil do very well. last year he was driving a jordan running on bridgestones. tg drove slowly and steadly, infact he could preserve the tyres much better. nk instead used its full potential at the earlystages, battling saubers and other midfield running cars during several occassions and he had to start preserving the tyres as the race progressed. i dont know how many of you guys noticed that fact, but i hav noticed it through out. present tyre regulations suits him better than last year.

How do you think he would fare with the 2008 regulations and slicks?

Like Johnny Dumfries.

whose team job this year has been limited to mainly acting as a representative for personal sponsor 'Tata'

How sad that the previously great Williams team have to resort to this!

in short i dont have the answer. all i can say is that, "i hope he does well".

Ever heard of Marc Gene, or does your limited F1 knowledge not extend beyond one Spanish driver?

Better than Monteiro, Monteiro would probably park the car at the first turn and run off screaming, itwill be too bloody hard for him.

Better than Monteiro, Monteiro would probably park the car at the first turn and run off screaming, itwill be too bloody hard for him.

The evidence does not support this prediction...

It is sad that any team has to take on a pure pay driver/tester to support its serious racing operations. That being said, it is nothing new to F1 and this driver in particular has very generous sponsors.

I wonder if this argument will persuade Tata, HK Tyres et al to ante up another $30M or so for a race seat... :eusa_think:

NK serves Williams well. Here is a clown whom pours money into their coffers without doing anything but giving their sponsors exposure in a dark market. Everybody wins besides TATA and NK. Perfect if you ask me! The privateers in F1 needs more profoundly rich sods to keep them alfoat if you ask me. The more the merrier! Go NK, you will never make a driver, but Wiliams and their like need your hard earned cash mate! Keep up the good work. the more hazardous junk-mobiles your sponsors can sell in India and the middle east the better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NK serves Williams well. Here is a clown whom pours money into their coffers without doing anything but giving their sponsors exposure in a dark market. Everybody wins besides TATA and NK. Perfect if you ask me! The privateers in F1 needs more profoundly rich sods to keep them alfoat if you ask me. The more the merrier! Go NK, you will never make a driver, but Wiliams and their like need your hard earned cash mate! Keep up the good work. the more hazardous junk-mobiles your sponsors can sell in India and the middle east the better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:lol:

Indeed, the money is of great benefit to the team but what of their reputation - is it not sullied by the Indian's sub-standard perfromances? Moreover, is the sport itself not brought into disrepute?

I suppose, like all things in Formula 1, it is about compromise... Surely Frank has worked out the sums and determined that the millions NK's sponsors provide more than compensate for the damage in goodwill to the team's brand. This leaves only the sport to consider.

Having lesser drivers in Formula 1 indubitably raises questions about the legitimacy of its claim as the pinnacle of motorsport. But what can the FIA do without the tougher Super License requirements I have called for?

:mellow:

:lol:

Indeed, the money is of great benefit to the team but what of their reputation - is it not sullied by the Indian's sub-standard perfromances? Moreover, is the sport itself not brought into disrepute?

I suppose, like all things in Formula 1, it is about compromise... Surely Frank has worked out the sums and determined that the millions NK's sponsors provide more than compensate for the damage in goodwill to the team's brand. This leaves only the sport to consider.

Having lesser drivers in Formula 1 indubitably raises questions about the legitimacy of its claim as the pinnacle of motorsport. But what can the FIA do without the tougher Super License requirements I have called for?

:mellow:

Mate, all I can say is,

WORD.

Are comments like these realy necessary in an F1 forum :o

All it does is inflame and antagonise others in ways which you may not have envisaged when you originally made it.

It is my view that you and bajo attack NK for racist reasons and nothing else. Whilst you may think it is funny, it is also very offensive.

NK is in a fortunate position where a company are prepared to bank roll him for exposure in F1 - If tata are prepared to do that and it attracts new fans to f1, who are you to deride tata and NK for wanting to broaden their exposure - It is a colonial mentality that espouses a world where ethnic minorities are kept 'in their place' and are attacked for wanting to be part of the mainstream.

JV, I am sure has been bankrolled by canadian companies - Verstaepen (spell check) has been bank rolled by Dutch companies. JPM was bankrolled by Columbian companies - Senna/Piquet were bankrolled by Brazilian companies - Why dont you attack the drivers and industry of these countries?

FWIW I am not Asian so have no axe to grind.

Just my opinion, so there <_<

All it does is inflame and antagonise others in ways which you may not have envisaged when you originally made it.

It is my view that you and bajo attack NK for racist reasons and nothing else. Whilst you may think it is funny, it is also very offensive.

NK is in a fortunate position where a company are prepared to bank roll him for exposure in F1 - If tata are prepared to do that and it attracts new fans to f1, who are you to deride tata and NK for wanting to broaden their exposure - It is a colonial mentality that espouses a world where ethnic minorities are kept 'in their place' and are attacked for wanting to be part of the mainstream.

JV, I am sure has been bankrolled by canadian companies - Verstaepen (spell check) has been bank rolled by Dutch companies. JPM was bankrolled by Columbian companies - Senna/Piquet were bankrolled by Brazilian companies - Why dont you attack the drivers and industry of these countries?

You just don't get the point mate. Nothing to do with origin, just the point of F1 exposure. Same with direxiv. What is the resaon for their exposure when they are a purely Japansese venture fund???????????

Ordinarily I would be offended at being called a racist but you have missed the point by such a wide margin that it's actually funny. When the poster used the term "dark market", he was not referring to the skin color of the people that comprise that market, he was referring to the lack of exposure F1 has in that market. :rolleyes:

Anyway, my dislike of Narain is motivated by the same dislike I have of all who bring our precious sport into disrepute. Where other drivers do such things, eg Juna Pablo Montoya, Takuma Sato, Antonio Liuzzi and Scott Speed among others, I criticise them just as heavily. As a long time member of this forum, you should know better. Shame on you for trying to chracterize a healthy debate as a racial conflict. Shame.

At least you don't pretend to be rational, unlike someone else here. Anyway, you're on ignore, I have little interest in arguing with racist idiots.

The trolls are taking over, I am suddenly losing interest in posting here...

At least you don't pretend to be rational, unlike someone else here. Anyway, you're on ignore, I have little interest in arguing with racist idiots.

The trolls are taking over, I am suddenly losing interest in posting here...

Oh the irony! Your incessant arguing with no regard to fact is one of the principle reasons that the much-loved Senna left the forum. If only we could negotiate a trade of you and the rest of your like to get him back...

Narain Karthikeyan is the worst F1 driver ever, he is worthless to be in F1.

The evidence does not support this prediction...

It is sad that any team has to take on a pure pay driver/tester to support its serious racing operations. That being said, it is nothing new to F1 and this driver in particular has very generous sponsors.

I wonder if this argument will persuade Tata, HK Tyres et al to ante up another $30M or so for a race seat... :eusa_think:

by the way, it is JK Tyres, no HK. and one thing i have noticed about you is that you have a tendency(i cant call you a racist) to look down up on a driver blindly, and secondly narain didnt pay $30m, some one called the indian driver a clown, may be according to them, but to a vast majority it was the japanese guys who proved to be the better clowns! :P

Ordinarily I would be offended at being called a racist but you have missed the point by such a wide margin that it's actually funny. When the poster used the term "dark market", he was not referring to the skin color of the people that comprise that market, he was referring to the lack of exposure F1 has in that market. :rolleyes:

Anyway, my dislike of Narain is motivated by the same dislike I have of all who bring our precious sport into disrepute. Where other drivers do such things, eg Juna Pablo Montoya, Takuma Sato, Antonio Liuzzi and Scott Speed among others, I criticise them just as heavily. As a long time member of this forum, you should know better. Shame on you for trying to chracterize a healthy debate as a racial conflict. Shame.

I apologise if I misconstrued the comment above. :blush:

I dont think Narain had that bad a rookie season, here are the stats;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narain_Karthikeyan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_Formula_One_season#Drivers

If I recall Narain was being lauded as the next best thing in the first half of last season, only to fall away sharply towards the end. His poor relationship with the Jordan team manager was partly to blame, but then again, Nico Rosberg has fared no better in his rookie year.

Alot of guys are very objective and knowledgeable on this board, I dont get why they continue to slate this guy when his performances were as good or better than other rookies in F1 over the last 10 years. It's time to get some perspective.

Finally, constanty slating a driver and his country is bound to upset those forum members that originate from that country. How sensitive are the American guys when they get similar treatment ^_^ It is the psychology of patriotism that a native will defend his country from outside abuse/ridicule

Peace not war, I say :mellow:

Peace not war, I say :mellow:

Peace in our time? ;) Seriously, I'd hate to see watered-down opinions on drivers/teams/F1 just for the sake of 'peace'. I like the opinions (hot-headed or otherwise) and I trust myself to decipher what is right or wrong about them, as I trust all readers to do the same. Those that hold Narain in contempt are perfectly in their rights to do so. I feel his critics are too harsh, but not by much.