Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bajo39

Honda Bids To Save Suzuka

Honda is making a last-ditch bid to ensure that its Suzuka circuit keeps a place in the Formula 1 world championship.

It was announced last March that the Japanese Grand Prix would move to Toyota-owned Fuji International Speedway in 2007.

The deal was a major coup for Toyota, which had been trying to lure the country

I will dearly miss Suzuka. It is indeed worthy of being hailed a 'classic' track. It's a driver's favorite and they will all probably miss it as well.

I will dearly miss Suzuka. It is indeed worthy of being hailed a 'classic' track. It's a driver's favorite and they will all probably miss it as well.

Without question.

a driver doesn't deserve to be a world champion if he cannot master suzuka or spa. it should be a written rule in the FIA rules...

though I remember Fuji from SBK days and its is a neat track too,

Suzuka is the one reason I don't dislike Sato. He flies there. Granted, he's got alot of miles under his belt at that track, but the man's cred with me goes up because of his driving at Suzuka.

Rare kudos to Ralfie for being pretty darn good at Suzuka too.

It would be a massive shame if Suzuka isn't on the calendar, and I mean permanently, and no in a sharing role with Fuji. It's one of the last true racer's circuit left and mostly produces good races and overtaking. Oh, it's in our timezone so that's an added bonus :)

Suzuka is a great track and is steeped in F1 history. I

Hi again. Long time no see. I was begining to think you joined the Army and were sent to Iraq where you were killed by friendly fire. Glad i was wrong.

:lol:

Who would have thought you were funny?

:lol:

Who would have thought you were funny?

It creeps out occasionally. Im sorry i'll try to be my usual boring self when posting in the future. :D

i too hope suzuka returns as a standalone gp. like stpp kidding said, you don't deserve to be world champ unless you can master it, along with monaco and spa out of the tracks i've seen.

i also agree with puma, putting the 2 intelligent comments together one must conclude that takuma sato deserves to be world champ one day.

:eusa_think:

just kidding people - old times returning perhaps? :lol:

i too hope suzuka returns as a standalone gp. like stpp kidding said, you don't deserve to be world champ unless you can master it, along with monaco and spa out of the tracks i've seen.

i also agree with puma, putting the 2 intelligent comments together one must conclude that takuma sato deserves to be world champ one day.

:eusa_think:

just kidding people - old times returning perhaps? :lol:

If the Championship consisted of Suzuka only, Sato might have a chance.....

If the Championship consisted of Suzuka only, Sato might have a chance.....

No, If the Championship consisted in a race in a track with only one straight, Sato might have a chance... :)

Sato would only have a chance in a race against 19 Ide's.

On topic, clearly this is yet another example of Bernie putting a few extra yen before the long term interests of the sport. Its no wonder F1 is so unattractive to most people.

indeed, we lost spa for this year. it was about this time of year i was heading to belgium to watch this great race. there is hope though that at least they may come back, at additional cost to anyone but bernie of course...

Yeah I'm getting more and more cynical about everything Bernie's done. F1 is a mess really. We don't need any more money, we need decent racing around decent tracks. We don't need the manufacturers, all we need to do is buy a car of comparable performance to what we have and give it to all the drivers. We could even design this controlled car so that it would enable overtaking. That way we'd save money and get fair, exciting racing. In short F1 would become a proper sport.

Yeah I'm getting more and more cynical about everything Bernie's done. F1 is a mess really. We don't need any more money, we need decent racing around decent tracks. We don't need the manufacturers, all we need to do is buy a car of comparable performance to what we have and give it to all the drivers. We could even design this controlled car so that it would enable overtaking. That way we'd save money and get fair, exciting racing. In short F1 would become a proper sport.

That would put the emphasis back squarely on man, and not machine. It would also drastically improve the show, something Bernie thinks is quite unimportant when considered against his bank statement. Sadly, it probably will never happen.

I say its time for you to start following A1GP.

Have fun! (you'll probably come crawling back within a week).

After a few years away from ChampCar (not the oval racers in the IRL) I've found just what you describe in the current series. Slicks, control engine, semi-spec chassis, push-to-pass hp boost. Tons of overtaking and very exciting racing. I would hate to see F1 become a spec-series, but if done right, I guess it would have it's merits. It wouldn't be F1 anymore, but....

I don't want F1 to become CART or A1GP. All these competing series detract from motorsport as a whole. What we need is a unified set of series, with F1 or its new equivalent naturally at the top, where each series provides all its drivers with equal machinery. That would make it a proper sport rather than an engineering contest. Why would anyone not want that?

I don't want F1 to become CART or A1GP. All these competing series detract from motorsport as a whole. What we need is a unified set of series, with F1 or its new equivalent naturally at the top, where each series provides all its drivers with equal machinery. That would make it a proper sport rather than an engineering contest. Why would anyone not want that?

What you are asking for is essentially a ChampCar (CART is dead) or an A1GP. Both series give you the chassis/engine/tires and you can make set-up adjustments to the car. When you say you don't want F1 to become those series, you are contradicting yourself a bit...

That would put the emphasis back squarely on man, and not machine. It would also drastically improve the show, something Bernie thinks is quite unimportant when considered against his bank statement. Sadly, it probably will never happen.

hey, your back! where have u been?

What you are asking for is essentially a ChampCar (CART is dead) or an A1GP. Both series give you the chassis/engine/tires and you can make set-up adjustments to the car. When you say you don't want F1 to become those series, you are contradicting yourself a bit...

No. There is more that separates F1 and ChampCar let alone A1GP than the technical regulations. The standard of driving for instance. If that were not so there would be no need for me to call for a change in F1. Also what we need is a unified system, not a set of competing series with very similar regulations. That said their regulations are more to my liking. In fact they're better in most series than F1 imho.