Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bajo39

Button Lacks Commitment

Former Formula 1 driver Derek Warwick believes that Jenson Button needs to become more committed if he is to fulfil his potential and close a

The Briton also feels that Schumacher does not get the recognition he deserves after all his record-breaking achievements and insists that the German has justified his undisputed number one status at Ferrari over the past 10 years.

"I still think that Michael doesn’t get half the credit he deserves – 89 grand prix wins, seven-time world champion, 68 pole positions.

“Sure, we can all say that he controlled the team, but who else would you have put in there?

“Barrichello was quick, Irvine was quick; they got the 50,000 laps that everybody else got.

“But even when they got the opportunity, which Irvine did the year Michael broke his leg here [silverstone 1999], he still didn’t do it – Michael came back at the end of that year for the last two or three races and blew Irvine away.”

“And that’s not by accident, that’s because the guy is special.

“But, Kimi and Alonso have for sure made inroads on that, and they are the new breed.”

There is a simple explanation for this.

Stop hireing team mates that must help MS , cant challange him ( even if it's 1 race only in entire seasan ), get rid of Jean Todt!

This is why he'll never be respected the way Senna or Prost were/are.

I would take the opinions of two WDCs before I'd listen to Warwick. They, at least, know what it takes to get the crown. Eddie Cheever had a better F1 record than Warwick and that's not saying much. Perhaps Derek's own lack of commitment and abysmal record is clouding his vision when looking at another Brit driver.

EDIT: Re-phrased the last sentence...

I would take the opinions of two WDCs before I'd listen to Warwick. They, at least, know what it takes to get the crown. Eddie Cheever had a better F1 record than Warwick and that's not saying much. Perhaps Derek's own lack of commitment and abysmal record is clouding his vision when looking at another Brit driver.

EDIT: Re-phrased the last sentence...

Just because he wasnt a particularly great F1 driver doesnt mean he isnt right.

So by your reasoning Michael Schumacher (who is the most successful F1 driver in history) is always right.

When he expresses an opinion about another driver's capability of becoming a World Champion, yes.

So by your reasoning Michael Schumacher (who is the most successful F1 driver in history) is always right.

He is the most successful driver in absolute terms but not in relative terms (when we account for the fact that he

Very true. I still consider Senna to be the best F1 driver of all time.

I guess that would depend on your definition of 'best'.

Very true. I still consider Senna to be the best F1 driver of all time.

Is that going by the myth, since you never actually saw him race?

Not true. I have seen many video clips over the years including a clip at Donington in the rain where he was overtaking faster cars like they wernt there. Also i never saw Don Bradman play either but there is no doubt in my mind that he was the best batsmans ever.

Or he could be looking at the various statistics and ratios that Senna (the poster) is so fond of, eg poles, wins/attempts, etc...

OMG Welcome back Senna!!! Its like a reunion this past week with Dan and now Senna returning :lol: There's probably a thread about this in the cafe but since this is the first thread I've seen with Senna's input I had to say welcome back to the guy.

Anyways, on Button. As Senna says, he's definitely improved his commitment since he lost his way at Benetton. Whilst I think there isn't a driver out there near Michael in terms of commitment, I don't believe Jenson is as slack (compared to Michael) as Warwick says. He's battled away, beaten strong teammates on the way (Jacques and now Rubens) and when the opportunity to win came, he took it. There have been a couple of occasions where JB may have had a strong chance to win but through reasons other than his driving he failed to do so (Germany '04 springs to mind).

OMG Welcome back Senna!!! Its like a reunion this past week with Dan and now Senna returning :lol: There's probably a thread about this in the cafe but since this is the first thread I've seen with Senna's input I had to say welcome back to the guy.

Anyways, on Button. As Senna says, he's definitely improved his commitment since he lost his way at Benetton. Whilst I think there isn't a driver out there near Michael in terms of commitment, I don't believe Jenson is as slack (compared to Michael) as Warwick says. He's battled away, beaten strong teammates on the way (Jacques and now Rubens) and when the opportunity to win came, he took it. There have been a couple of occasions where JB may have had a strong chance to win but through reasons other than his driving he failed to do so (Germany '04 springs to mind).

He may have improved his commitment relative to the low standard he set at Benetton but I was starting to think he had given up with Honda's abysmal form prior to the French GP. Let's hope his recent win can bring him to the next level of inspiration.

Whilst I wouldn't go as far as saying he'd given up, but it didn't look good, for both the immediate and medium term anways. I believe it was the lowest point of the partnership of Honda and Jenson.

Yes, welcome back Senna!!!

Not true. I have seen many video clips over the years including a clip at Donington in the rain where he was overtaking faster cars like they wernt there. Also i never saw Don Bradman play either but there is no doubt in my mind that he was the best batsmans ever.

Statistics favour the Don, they don't favour Senna.

There is a simple explanation for this.

Stop hireing team mates that must help MS , cant challange him ( even if it's 1 race only in entire seasan ), get rid of Jean Todt!

This is why he'll never be respected the way Senna or Prost were/are.

:lol: You are so betraying your ignorance by talking like that in a thread about Derek Warwick.

Oh and by talking of Senna and Prost in the same sentence while doing that.

Statistics favour the Don, they don't favour Senna.

:lol: You are so betraying your ignorance by talking like that in a thread about Derek Warwick.

Oh and by talking of Senna and Prost in the same sentence while doing that.

:yawn::blahblah1::blahblah1::blahblah1:

Chill out mate....

He is the most successful driver in absolute terms but not in relative terms (when we account for the fact that he

Do you realise the younger generation when looking back on Formula 1 aren't going to consider this relative terms you are talking about?

IMO, an opinion of someone in about 40 years who is say an older teen who follows Formula 1 looks back on it will most definitely be that Michael Schumacher is the most successful therefore best driver of all time.

Ofcourse I think Prost had the best record comparing races contested and victories but again this wont really be looked into detail with. It is the world championships.

So what you are saying is that the only ones making comparisons in the future will be shallow, uneducated ignoramuses?

If one can't make relevant comparisons then the comparisons made are worthless.

So what you are saying is that the only ones making comparisons in the future will be shallow, uneducated ignoramuses?

If one can't make relevant comparisons then the comparisons made are worthless.

They wont be uneducated, they just wont care about finding extra information once they have seen these absolute terms. It's not a big difference anyway.

Alain Prost - 4 WDCs

Aryton Senna - 3 WDCs (could of been obviously a lot more)

Michael Schumacher 7 WDCs