Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Autumnpuma

Tracy And Villeneuve

While watching the Denver ChampCar race, I saw Paul Tracy rocket through the field from virtually dead last and fight for a podium. Why bring this up on a predominantly F1 forum? Tracy's style reminded me of Gilles. I could easily overlay Gilles' red Ferrari on Tracy's blue and white Forsythe and I'd not know the difference. Heresy, I know, but listen a moment...

Tracy races on the complete extreme of his talent, often slicing through competition as if he were in a vastly superior car. Tracy has a tendency for extreme overtaking maneouvres; sometimes not paying off and shunting himself and a competitor. Both of these qualities Tracy shares with Gilles. When watching them both in a race, you never counted them out of the running, even when the odds were against them. They both have tussled with World Champions and come off looking equally (or more) talented. They both are (were) either 'on' or 'off'; 'fast' or 'stopped'.

Now, am I saying Tracy is as good as Gilles in equal machinery? I don't know but probably not. All I know is that watching Denver I felt like I was watching what Formula 1 was, and should be, racing-wise. Names like Bourdais, Wilson, Tracy and Clarke fought like drivers of old. Bourdais could easily have been the silky smooth Emerson Fittipaldi; an emotional but quick Dan Clarke could have been Mansell; Tracy, Gilles; Wilson, Alesi.

The tech is low and it's a spec-series to be sure, but somehow it has captured the spirit of racing as other spec-series have not. How far from the mark we have drifted in F1....

....Anyway, I was rambling on about Tracy and Gilles. Different eras, different talent-levels, but cut from the same mold. I can't have Gilles anymore but I can still have his ghost...in Paul Tracy.

Not sure if I'd go as far as that but Paul had a mega race, pity about the incident with Seb, i thought we were going to have another episode of fisticuffs. If PT gets penalised, then so should Seb as he instigated the episode by shoving Paul. Had to laugh at Paul giving Seb the sign with his finger to 'come back here' :lol:

One guy I felt for was Andrew Ranger. His pace was good enough for the podium but his gearbox exploded. It's a pity as he's Canada's next best hope I feel, although the Canadian's on here would know more about that than I do.

Not sure if I'd go as far as that but Paul had a mega race, pity about the incident with Seb, i thought we were going to have another episode of fisticuffs. If PT gets penalised, then so should Seb as he instigated the episode by shoving Paul. Had to laugh at Paul giving Seb the sign with his finger to 'come back here' :lol:

One guy I felt for was Andrew Ranger. His pace was good enough for the podium but his gearbox exploded. It's a pity as he's Canada's next best hope I feel, although the Canadian's on here would know more about that than I do.

Don't think I've gone daft, I wasn't saying PT was near Gilles in talent, only that they drive similarly :D I agree with you that Bourdais was the one looking for a fight, not Tracy. To my eyes, it was a racing incident. Daly suggested that PT shouldn't have attempted the move, but that's what they are there for...attempting such moves! I only ding PT for failing to pull it off ;)

I like Ranger as well. Good car-control. I have to say I love the 'Speed Racer' sticker on his car (at least, I think it was his car...)---I'd like to know the story behind it...

I'm a loyal Wilson follower and am glad he continues to do well. I noticed an American flag on his helmet...I wonder what that is about? Has Britain sh!t on him to the extent that he's willing to become an American? I surely hope so...our gain!

Don't think I've gone daft, I wasn't saying PT was near Gilles in talent, only that they drive similarly
My bad.
I like Ranger as well. Good car-control. I have to say I love the 'Speed Racer' sticker on his car (at least, I think it was his car...)---I'd like to know the story behind it...

From what I heard in the commentary, the Speed Racer marketing people wanted Ranger to market it as he bears a strong resemblance to the main character.

As for his on track talents, I always thought he was fast, but inconsistent, but believed he'd improve rapidly due to his young age. This year, he's improved significantly in terms of consistency and maintained his speed. He's got a good future ahead of him if he makes the right career moves.

I'm a loyal Wilson follower and am glad he continues to do well. I noticed an American flag on his helmet...

Likewise. I always thought Justin was shafted out of F1. Whilst I don't believe he was a Kimi or Alonso, he was certainly worthy of a spot in the sport. Didn't notice the US flag though.