Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bajo39

What's The Fastest You've Ever Driven?

Doornbos sets record at Dutch landmark

Racing series F1

Date 2006-08-15

For the first time in Dutch history, a Formula One car raced on the highway this morning. In his Red Bull Racing Formula One car Robert Doornbos set a new track record at the famous Dutch landmark 'De Afsluitdijk' by reaching a dazzling speed of 326 kph!

The generally calm town of Den Oever was startled at 10:32 am this morning by the sound of a Formula One car passing by. At that time Robert Doornbos' wildest childhood dream came true at the A7, which was temporary closed for this special occasion.

Though The Netherlands haven't organised a Formula One Grand Prix since 1985, the authentic racing spirit immediately got everyone in grip as they watched the 24-year old Dutchman racing full throttle towards the monument at De Afsluitdijk. After having demonstrated some donuts, Robert ended his run by parking his RB2 at one of the parking lots.

Sources have stated that the Red Bull Racing driver was flashed by a police speed camera during his run. The height of the fine is yet unknown.

Robert Doornbos: "Wow, this was really cool! I had driven De Afsluitdijk already several times in a passenger-car, but this is far more exciting! When Red Bull Netherlands asked me at the beginning of this year if they could help me fulfilling one of my childhood dreams, I immediately suggested that it would be great to drive a F1 car over De Afsluitdijk. Today I did, and it even exceeded my expectations. Thanks to everyone who helped us realizing this crazy idea!"

I've done 276kph on public highways, matching the reported record here in Toronto... Actually, let me check if that record has changed, it's been a few years.

I did 135 MPH or 215 KMPH in my Jetta VR6. Sounds unbelievable as all Jetta's have a 130 MPH electronic cap. This was downhill on a straight road that is 8 miles long. HWY 197 in Oregon close to Crater Lake

It was scarry as hell as the road was a bit damp, but the car was remarkably stable.... :clap3:

EDIT: I should have guessed :rolleyes:

A road car, but fast indeed!

megane1.jpg

I've done 276kph on public highways, matching the reported record here in Toronto... Actually, let me check if that record has changed, it's been a few years.

Smoking!!

err I mean what were you smoking at the time :naughty:

Smoking!!

err I mean what were you smoking at the time :naughty:

I was stone cold sober at the time, as always when behind the wheel. Going 220kph down the back straight at Mosport with the walls closing in on you feels a hell of a lot faster though - I can tell you that much.

245kmh on my modified Honda CBR600RR down the straight of Eastern Creek Raceway, in Sydney.

That is bloody fast for a racetrack!

230 km/h in my HSV. Very scary, not the most stable car at sort of speed.

What kind of HSV? I went to the website but they have different models... The SV6000 sound slike a monster!

What kind of HSV? I went to the website but they have different models... The SV6000 sound slike a monster!

I own a 1996 HSV GTS-R. Very rare car, HSV only made 75.

That's a crap photo sorry. Can post another photo if you are interested bajo39.

5.7Ltr V8 putting out 215Kw, running through a T56 six speed gearbox.

I own a 1996 HSV GTS-R. Very rare car, HSV only made 75.

That's a crap photo sorry. Can post another photo if you are interested bajo39.

5.7Ltr V8 putting out 215Kw, running through a T56 six speed gearbox.

Is that a photo of your car? I'd like to see more of it if you don't mind. The wing looks good, do you have a front air dam? Seems like it would be stable at speed with that kind of downforce.

How much does that car weigh and what's the suspension like?

Is that a photo of your car? I'd like to see more of it if you don't mind. The wing looks good, do you have a front air dam? Seems like it would be stable at speed with that kind of downforce.

How much does that car weigh and what's the suspension like?

Thats is not my actual car just an example that i grabbed off the net. But they are all the same colour (XU3 Yellow) I can get photo's of mine if you like.

Yeah the rear wing provides that much downforce that there are inprints around the supports!!! Problem being is that it lifts the front as the front has no downforce at all. The rear wing is carbon fibre the exact same wing and structure as the V8 supercars of 1996.

5.7Ltr V8 215Kw @ 4,800rpm,

475Nm torque @ 3,600rpm.

It's a heavy car it weighs about 1,400Kg. Has independant rear suspension.

130 mph 209kph in my old RX7 Turbo, super stable and if the engine would have been packing more punch the chassis was stable enough to take it.

130 mph 209kph in my old RX7 Turbo, super stable and if the engine would have been packing more punch the chassis was stable enough to take it.

Was that a 2nd generation RX-7 or 3rd generation? I had a first gen which was ported and sounded like a Harrier Jump Jet - outstanding machine!

Was that a 2nd generation RX-7 or 3rd generation? I had a first gen which was ported and sounded like a Harrier Jump Jet - outstanding machine!

i believe it was a 2nd gen RX7 it was a 1990 to be precise and i bought it in 1998 with 45,000 miles and kept it till the end of 2000 cause by then it needed major work. I had an awesome time with it sliding everywhere like i had stole the thing.

Thats is not my actual car just an example that i grabbed off the net. But they are all the same colour (XU3 Yellow) I can get photo's of mine if you like.

Yeah the rear wing provides that much downforce that there are inprints around the supports!!! Problem being is that it lifts the front as the front has no downforce at all. The rear wing is carbon fibre the exact same wing and structure as the V8 supercars of 1996.

5.7Ltr V8 215Kw @ 4,800rpm,

475Nm torque @ 3,600rpm.

It's a heavy car it weighs about 1,400Kg. Has independant rear suspension.

It's a nice looking car for sure but with that massive rear wing, you definitely need a front air dam to keep the front lifting up at speed. I would get working on that and given the huge looking cabin, a roll cage would look nice too. How good are you at welding? :)

By the way, 1,400kg is about what a 911 weighs... That's not heavy given the massive engine that your car packs. I wonder how stiff the chassis is though :o

i believe it was a 2nd gen RX7 it was a 1990 to be precise and i bought it in 1998 with 45,000 miles and kept it till the end of 2000 cause by then it needed major work. I had an awesome time with it sliding everywhere like i had stole the thing.

Sweet. They weren't the most reliable cars to be sure but I think they got a unfairly bad rap because of the modifications everyone did (myself included). If you want 300hp from 1.3 litres, reliability is going to suffer...

It's a nice looking car for sure but with that massive rear wing, you definitely need a front air dam to keep the front lifting up at speed. I would get working on that and given the huge looking cabin, a roll cage would look nice too. How good are you at welding? :)

By the way, 1,400kg is about what a 911 weighs... That's not heavy given the massive engine that your car packs. I wonder how stiff the chassis is though :o

Would love to make some modifcations, but being a very rare car I will leave it as stock. :D

205 in an r6 (chennai ecr) and 185 (very poor compared to all the others....) in a ford mondeo. :D

205 on a Yahama R6? That takes, what, 8 seconds of acceleration? I don't know what your roads are like but that doesn't seem too fast. Those bikes will do 290kph fairly easily, won't they?

Here's how you do it:

http://www.streetracersonline.com/videos/gr1.php

Would love to make some modifcations, but being a very rare car I will leave it as stock. :D

Eyyyyy, I don't know if I could keep my hands off it.

205 on a Yahama R6? That takes, what, 8 seconds of acceleration? I don't know what your roads are like but that doesn't seem too fast. Those bikes will do 290kph fairly easily, won't they?
Chennai ecr.

abbas i wouldnt be doing 200 kph there <_<

Back in the day '68 Vette 427 with Firestone wide ovals 157mph confirmed at the GM test track in Pheonix.

I've had the Mustang up to 140mph 2 weeks ago.....

in Austria i drove Audi A6 TDI...200kph maybe a kph up or down.

Back home I had a Reno Clio 1.4 RT...185kph i think....and guess what there were 4 of us in the car....

I just bought a used car and we went for a drive....but never again i did go that fast.

Now my top speed is around 150kph....it's more relaxing and i can still enjoy driving it and listening to the music.

Speed kills!!!!...............and i dont mean Scott Speed....... ;)

You guys are crazy, 230-245 :o , don't have the nerves for that... maybe on a long straight like Mike did, but then I have to know the roadcar is ultra-safe... I've only ever gone 180kph in my brother 2l Opel Astra, i intend to keep it that low....