Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chris Strange

DC: 'I Want To Win Races Again'

Having re-signed with Red Bull last week for 2007, David Coulthard has reiterated his desire to start winning races again.

The Scot, who is now 35-years-old, is one of the oldest drivers on the current F1 grid. However, he has no intention of retiring any time soon. In fact, the only plan he does have is to add to his tally of 13 grands prix wins.

"I am not retiring," he told the Evening Standard newspaper. "Why can't people understand this?

"If I said, 'Yes I'm going to do x after I retire', then it mentally puts me in that place.

"I have to want to win. I do want to win.

"OK, I haven't won in a while but I will win again and I'm happy here at Red Bull and they are happy with me."

The Scot revealed that he takes heart from Michael Schumacher and the fact that despite being the oldest driver on the grid, "he is still winning" races.

However, what Coulthard doesn't quite understand is how Schumacher, who has claimed 89 grands prix wins, can still derive so much pleasure each time he steps on the podium.

"I think Michael's an actor," Coulthard continued.

"He's won so much in his career, yet every time he goes up to the rostrum he's leaping about and smiling.

"What's that about?

"I've never been able to do that. I'm a miserable bleeder."

Here he goes again..... :lol: well, it was difficult for him to win in a Mc Laren (or Williams) I'll let you guess the rest.

Modivation is very important for a F1 driver. I would be very worried if DC came out and said that he didnt want to win races again. Every driver in the F1 paddock wants to win races and Coulthard is no different.

Modivation is very important for a F1 driver. I would be very worried if DC came out and said that he didnt want to win races again. Every driver in the F1 paddock wants to win races and Coulthard is no different.
if anything this statement would have demotivated his fans ,who are few and far between) :lol:

what are you talking about.
the fans will recollect his statements about how the next year was going to be his,and they will get depressed ;)

DC might well add to his tally of wins now that Adrian Newey has joined RBR. DC could, potentially, eclipse the win counts of other great British drivers such as Graham Hill and Stirling Moss

the fans will recollect his statements about how the next year was going to be his,and they will get depressed ;)

If you read carefully you will see that he did not say anything about next year being his year. Potentially DC could have another 3 years in formula 1 and all he said was that he wants to win more races and considering he will be driving a Adrian Newey built car he does have a chance.

DC might well add to his tally of wins now that Adrian Newey has joined RBR. DC could, potentially, eclipse the win counts of other great British drivers such as Graham Hill and Stirling Moss

If you read carefully you will see that he did not say anything about next year being his year. Potentially DC could have another 3 years in formula 1 and all he said was that he wants to win more races and considering he will be driving a Adrian Newey built car he does have a chance.

I agree 100%.

Why only three? Currently, he is a much better driver than any of the other Red Bulls and I think he'll match up nicely against the Australian next year.

Why only three? Currently, he is a much better driver than any of the other Red Bulls and I think he'll match up nicely against the Australian next year.

I am really excited about next season as i feel it will be the first time since 2003 that Coulthard will be in a reasonably competitive car. Also in 2008 i heard a rumour that traction control will be banned and since Villeneuve is no longer in F1 and Schumacher will have retired by then it looks like Coulthard will be the only driver out there who has driven and won in formula 1 cars without traction control which will probably be a large advantage over these young whippersnappers. :D

If RBR makes a winning car then both DC and MW could have a good chance to win a race.

How many races will DC or MW win it's hard to say, but let's wait and see.

I am really excited about next season as i feel it will be the first time since 2003 that Coulthard will be in a reasonably competitive car. Also in 2008 i heard a rumour that traction control will be banned and since Villeneuve is no longer in F1 and Schumacher will have retired by then it looks like Coulthard will be the only driver out there who has driven and won in formula 1 cars without traction control which will probably be a large advantage over these young whippersnappers. :D

Ralf and Jarno also have driven a car without TC??? right? :eusa_think:

I think it's unrealistic to talk about wins for a team which has not confirmed their engine for next year. :eusa_think:

With Red Bull

If RBR makes a winning car then both DC and MW could have a good chance to win a race.

How many races will DC or MW win it's hard to say, but let's wait and see.

I feel really sorry for Mark Webber. He tends to be a kiss of death for teams. As soon as he gets into a F1 car it turns into a peice of unreliable crap. I just hope his presence at Red Bull doesnt curse the RB3 as it is clear that Mark Webber was cursed a long time ago.

Ralf and Jarno also have driven a car without TC??? right? :eusa_think:

I dont know. does anyone know when F1 cars started using Traction Control.

RBR are set to have a solid driver line-up next season. The same, no doubt, cannot be said of their B-Team.

I feel really sorry for Mark Webber. He tends to be a kiss of death for teams. As soon as he gets into a F1 car it turns into a peice of unreliable crap. I just hope his presence at Red Bull doesnt curse the RB3 as it is clear that Mark Webber was cursed a long time ago.

I was just thinking the same. However i dont think this will happen to RBR...the team has enough funds and a good background.

So MW has finally made it to the team where expectation are higher than they r/were at Williams.

I dont know. does anyone know when F1 cars started using Traction Control.

I think the 01 season was without TC. Not sure though....

That is the problem. DC has been cought in the time trap. RBR needs to pick their act up now or DC's train will leave the station.

DC is only 35 years, 4 months and 20 days old. At this age, Damon Hill and Nigel Mansell still hadn

Give me a break DC fans he will never win again in F1 :lol:

DC did really well to finish 3rd at Monaco. It was deserved.

:blink: He finished third because everyone in front of himcrashed out, he didn't do anything all race and was lsower than his teammate.

Give me a break DC fans he will never win again in F1 :lol:
How true.
:blink: He finished third because everyone in front of himcrashed out, he didn't do anything all race and was lsower than his teammate.

Im not going to argue with you all but i will taunt you a awful lot when DC does win his next race.

Im not going to argue with you all but i will taunt you a awful lot when DC does win his next race.

You are just making life harder for yourself. How are you going to deal with life when DC retires? (And that without a win for RBR)

I miss DC's yearly 'I can win the Championship' statements....his current 'I want to win races again' statements are just what the doctor ordered! Go DC!

I miss DC's yearly 'I can win the Championship' statements....his current 'I want to win races again' statements are just what the doctor ordered! Go DC!

Listen, I admire DC too, but lets be realistic.

I find it hard to believe they (RBR) will be able to compete with McLaren, Ferrari, BMW, Honda, Toyota, Renault, and Williams-Toyota. These guys are not there to make up the numbers and have (in my humble opinion) a lot more wind in their sails than RBR. We are either talking masive organisations with huge R&D departments or we are talking teams steeped in racing history, or even better, both.

IMO the best tactic RBR can have is 'steady as she goes' and hope for fluke races from the better teams (like Monaco) and maybe they can secure a podium every now and again. Apart from that, forget it.