Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chris Strange

DC: 'I Want To Win Races Again'

Listen, I admire DC too, but lets be realistic.

I find it hard to believe they (RBR) will be able to compete with McLaren, Ferrari, BMW, Honda, Toyota, Renault, and Williams-Toyota. These guys are not there to make up the numbers and have (in my humble opinion) a lot more wind in their sails than RBR. We are either talking masive organisations with huge R&D departments or we are talking teams steeped in racing history, or even better, both.

IMO the best tactic RBR can have is 'steady as she goes' and hope for fluke races from the better teams (like Monaco) and maybe they can secure a podium every now and again. Apart from that, forget it.

Just because Red Bull isnt a factory team doesnt mean they cant win races. My bet is that if the RB3 starts out as a really fast car then the boss of Red Bull will invest a huge amount to keep the development of the RB3 going at the same rate as teams like McLaren, Renault and Ferrari.

Listen, I admire DC too, but lets be realistic.

I find it hard to believe they (RBR) will be able to compete with McLaren, Ferrari, BMW, Honda, Toyota, Renault, and Williams-Toyota. These guys are not there to make up the numbers and have (in my humble opinion) a lot more wind in their sails than RBR. We are either talking masive organisations with huge R&D departments or we are talking teams steeped in racing history, or even better, both.

IMO the best tactic RBR can have is 'steady as she goes' and hope for fluke races from the better teams (like Monaco) and maybe they can secure a podium every now and again. Apart from that, forget it.

Heh, sorry I didn't follow that with a smiley or something...it was meant as a bit of a joke on DC...

I'm actually pretty neutral on DC and his alleged ability to win with Red Bull. Your thoughts here seem pretty realistic to me. Stats have shown that they haven't really made a gain in Championship standings over the past few years (even taking into consideration their previous Jaguar incarnation). What the stats don't show is the impact of Adrien Newey on the team. If they don't have an immediate improvement over the winter I'd be surprised.

Heh, sorry I didn't follow that with a smiley or something...it was meant as a bit of a joke on DC...

I'm actually pretty neutral on DC and his alleged ability to win with Red Bull. Your thoughts here seem pretty realistic to me. Stats have shown that they haven't really made a gain in Championship standings over the past few years (even taking into consideration their previous Jaguar incarnation). What the stats don't show is the impact of Adrien Newey on the team. If they don't have an immediate improvement over the winter I'd be surprised.

Going from a lower mid-field team with a fluke podium to becoming a winnig team over one winter is a quantum leap. Just can't see Quisling having the required supernatural powers.

Going from a lower mid-field team with a fluke podium to becoming a winnig team over one winter is a quantum leap. Just can't see Quisling having the required supernatural powers.

Winning, no. I expect Newey to pull them exactly one place forward in the championship next year. On the whole, I agree with you about RBR. Sorry ykick, I fear you may never see DC on the top step again....do you have any alternate drivers picked out to obsess about?

Sorry ykick, I fear you may never see DC on the top step again

You forget that Coulthard could be in F1 in 3 or 4 years time and nobody can know what the RB4 and RB5 will be like.

Winning, no. I expect Newey to pull them exactly one place forward in the championship next year.

What im hopeing for is something like the MP4-21 this year. I want the RB3 to always be in the points (like this years McLaren) and occassional get a podium. I think that is a realistic goal.

I fear you may never see DC on the top step again....do you have any alternate drivers picked out to obsess about?

Im a Webber fan as well but i dont think i'll have to worry about coulthard retiring any time soon. He recently said to the press that he has no plans for retirement whatsoever.

Winning, no. I expect Newey to pull them exactly one place forward in the championship next year. On the whole, I agree with you about RBR. Sorry ykick, I fear you may never see DC on the top step again....do you have any alternate drivers picked out to obsess about?

:rofl::roll::laughing:

You forget that Coulthard could be in F1 in 3 or 4 years time and nobody can know what the RB4 and RB5 will be like.

What im hopeing for is something like the MP4-21 this year. I want the RB3 to always be in the points (like this years McLaren) and occassional get a podium. I think that is a realistic goal.

Im a Webber fan as well but i dont think i'll have to worry about coulthard retiring any time soon. He recently said to the press that he has no plans for retirement whatsoever.

I just love your optimism. Its so 'go on aussie!'. Very uplifting!

Nevertheless, I think you are insane, and should come back to the real world where one man and a soda-can can't change the world.

Nevertheless, I think you are insane, and should come back to the real world where one man and a soda-can can't change the world.

I will make you eat your own words one day.

Better hurry up. Your hero is growing more than a few grey hairs already...

Well your hero (going by your signiture) has no chance of winning another formula 1 race. :D

Well your hero (going by your signiture) has no chance of winning another formula 1 race. :D

He's won enough, I think ;) DC better hurry and get himself a championship or four before you start to compare him to Prost.

He's won enough, I think ;) DC better hurry and get himself a championship or four before you start to compare him to Prost.

But what i said was true.

With Red Bull’s bountiful money, Adrian Newey’s proven genius and David Coulthard’s great experience, it is highly likely that Red Bull will win in the near future, maybe not next year though

yep

Everytime people mention RBR it sounds like BAR in my head. It even reads like BAR, maybe I am dyslexic...but I will find out when the season starts. I have heard from a "reliable insider source" that building a racing winning formula 1 car is bloody hard. He also said something about some BAR, Toyota, Honda ploughing cart loads of money for years and years with little result. I don't know, maybe I am imagining things.....

Indeed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think its quite possible that RBR could win a race in the medium term. Coulthard, like Schumi, is much fitter than drivers far younger and yet knows how to win and develop a car. He perhaps has more left to prove and is finally in a team who back him as implicit leader. Red Bull have plenty of cash and now have perhaps the best designer in F1. They also have testing data from two teams and at least (it seems they're hoping for better) a Ferrari engine deal.

I think its quite possible that RBR could win a race in the medium term. Coulthard, like Schumi, is much fitter than drivers far younger and yet knows how to win and develop a car. He perhaps has more left to prove and is finally in a team who back him as implicit leader. Red Bull have plenty of cash and now have perhaps the best designer in F1. They also have testing data from two teams and at least (it seems they're hoping for better) a Ferrari engine deal.

I hoped that I would never say this, but I think you have lost it. Please regroup and return as your old sane self.

I find it strange that this article is just reporting that DC wants to win races. ALL the drivers want to win races! Why is this strange?! Why is this news??

As for whether RBR can win races or not, well who knows, F1 isnt always easy to predict but they definately can. I wouldnt bet on it though cos the top teams/manufacturers do endless testing with amazing facilities and have all the best people, and RBR are going to have to make 1 hell of a massive leap if they're going to consistently challenge Honda, Renault, Ferrari, mclaren etc. I expect them to improve but cant see them challenging for wins

I find it strange that this article is just reporting that DC wants to win races. ALL the drivers want to win races! Why is this strange?! Why is this news??

As for whether RBR can win races or not, well who knows, F1 isnt always easy to predict but they definately can. I wouldnt bet on it though cos the top teams/manufacturers do endless testing with amazing facilities and have all the best people, and RBR are going to have to make 1 hell of a massive leap if they're going to consistently challenge Honda, Renault, Ferrari, mclaren etc. I expect them to improve but cant see them challenging for wins

I hope you are aware that your post does not make any sense.

Contradiction, Cavalinia's best friend should not become yours mate...

I hoped that I would never say this, but I think you have lost it. Please regroup and return as your old sane self.

:lol: Trust the experts Ctrl300...

Murray makes some good points. I think that he

I would add one more item to Newey's CV: He's a good manager and process-developer. As technical director, if you only know design but not management, you will fail. Newey is one of the best designers and he's a good manager.