Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Senna

Zonta To Take On Laguna Seca

Zonta to take on Laguna Seca

ITV

38431_1.jpg

Toyota test driver Ricardo Zonta is to run a TF106 on the Laguna Seca circuit in California this weekend and is targeting speeds of up to 195mph at the world-famous venue.

The Brazilian will be behind the wheel of the 2006 machine at the American road course on Saturday and Sunday during the annual Monterey Historic Automobile Races.

The demonstration run is part of showcase illustrating the evolution of the Formula 1 car and the Japanese-manufacturer is delighted to have the chance to give US race fans a second look at F1 this season.

Please Please Please bring the race to Laguna!!!! B)

Or they could simply improve Indy by lengthening the straight to include NASCAR turns 4 and 3 - Bruce, are those the next two turns? - and then removing many of the mickey mouse infield turns.

I'll answer for Bruce since I got here first...yes, that would be 4 and 3.

I would be overjoyed if Formula 1 would come to the west coast, as I live in California. Long Beach would be better, but I can deal with Laguna Seca. I'm looking into making the Historic Races....if I go I'll post pics and thoughts.

I think perhaps this is a 'trial run' of sorts to test how a current F1 car handles Laguna Seca. Bernie's trying to get an idea of alternate USGP tracks. The only issue I see with Laguna Seca would be the run-off areas. They would need to be larger on some parts of the track. The track is also in the middle of nowhere. Very little infrastructure to handle the vast F1 circus.

I would be overjoyed if Formula 1 would come to the west coast, as I live in California. Long Beach would be better, but I can deal with Laguna Seca. I'm looking into making the Historic Races....if I go I'll post pics and thoughts.

I think perhaps this is a 'trial run' of sorts to test how a current F1 car handles Laguna Seca. Bernie's trying to get an idea of alternate USGP tracks. The only issue I see with Laguna Seca would be the run-off areas. They would need to be larger on some parts of the track. The track is also in the middle of nowhere. Very little infrastructure to handle the vast F1 circus.

The Corkscrew would need a hell of a run off!

Maybe it would sanitze it.

We should ask our old friend Herman, he knows how to **** up a track. (Hockenhiem R.I.P)

The Corkscrew would need a hell of a run off!

Maybe it would sanitze it.

We should ask our old friend Herman, he knows how to **** up a track. (Hockenhiem R.I.P)

There's no room to expand...

What about Sears Point? That is a fantastic track...

I agree, Infineon would be a good track as well. I've never been there; I wonder if it has the proper infra-structure..?

I agree, Infineon would be a good track as well. I've never been there; I wonder if it has the proper infra-structure..?

watkins glen...and indy.

love it or hate it, indy is the heart of motorsports in the US, don't think any other city could match the atmosphere and passion for racing at indianalpolis...

watkins glen...and indy.

love it or hate it, indy is the heart of motorsports in the US, don't think any other city could match the atmosphere and passion for racing at indianalpolis...

Too bad the F1 track layout at Indy flows like frozen molasses. :mf_tongue:

After seeing Watkins Glen up close it's sad to say that the modern F1 circus will never return to this great track, not enough run-off and a fair bit of steel armco that is at tracks edge.......

Test driver Ricardo Zonta will this weekend show off Toyota's current racer at the 'Laguna Seca' circuit in California.

As part of the annual 'Montery Historic Automobile Races', which is sponsored by the Japanese manufacturer, Brazil's Zonta is due to acclimatise on Friday before doing full-speed demonstration runs on Saturday and Sunday, a statement issued by 'Toyota Motor Sales USA' said.

That makes for interesting lap times comparisons between Champ Car, A1, and F1.

Lets Hope Zonta puts in some "real" hot laps, and then see how they compare to the fastest lap of a Champ Car and A1 around the Laguna circuit.

I bet Zonta will take the corkscrew very slowly on his first lap!! That must be a weird feeling in your stomach in an f1 car doing that corner.

I've never actually watched a race at laguna seca to know how good it is, played it a lot on gran turismo 4 and I feel Indy is more fitting for an f1 race, its big and famous and historic and some americans actually pay some attention to f1 cos its at indy

F1 would never go to Laguna Seca, the FIA would say the corkscrew is too dangerous for 22 F1 cars to go round there at once.

The corkscrew itself isn't the problem (they wouldn't be bunched up at that point-it's on the back-end of the track), but the little bump leading up to the corkscrew would have to be eliminated...and that would kill the skill needed to take the 'screw...

I would think the Andretti Hairpin would need a fair bit more run-off...and I don't think there's any room for it...

The corkscrew itself isn't the problem (they wouldn't be bunched up at that point-it's on the back-end of the track), but the little bump leading up to the corkscrew would have to be eliminated...and that would kill the skill needed to take the 'screw...

I would think the Andretti Hairpin would need a fair bit more run-off...and I don't think there's any room for it...

Its worth F1 not going there to keep the Corkscrew as it is

Tony George has signed a one-year extension - the US GP will stay at the brickyard in 2007. Will it be Las Vegas in 2008?

Las Vegas...hmmm. I've heard of two possibilities. One is running a street race near Fremont Street. Really nice area...if you like getting mugged. The other possibility would be another Mickey Mouse oval conversion. Neither one of those sounds attractive.

I would still argue for Long Beach or Infiineon, but I've a feeling Bernie would like to keep the USGP on the East Coast to be more inline, travel-wise, with Montreal.

I never liked Indy. I'd say bring back long beach, if Laguna Seca has a long enough grid and pitlane for 24 car's that should be given a chance without modification...as long as Monaco is still on the calender I don't understand the arguement for extending Laguna Seca's run off area's.

but the little bump leading up to the corkscrew would have to be eliminated...and that would kill the skill needed to take the 'screw...

Didn't they smoothen out that bump right before the MotoGP race this year? I'm sure I heard the riders mention it.

Didn't they smoothen out that bump right before the MotoGP race this year? I'm sure I heard the riders mention it.

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! I hadn't heard that, but I'll check into it....

nojv is right...here's the mention from a Mazda site:

"Along with a complete repaving of the racing surface, the changes for the 2006 season include adding additional runoff to Turns 1, 3, 4, 6, and 7, as well as smoothing out a dip on the back straight on the steep uphill approach to Turn 8.

Most dramatic was the work needed to accommodate the additional runoff in Turn 1, the flat-out kink at the top of the start-finish hill. Located next to a steep bluff, the only way to expand the runoff area was to cut the hillside back and tear down the historic media center in the process. The building was razed over the winter and construction began on a new hospitality center. All remaining work is expected to be completed by July."

Ugh. Is anything sacrosanct anymore???!!!??