Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

narain fan

Villeneuve Slams Schumacher Over 'Lies'

Villeneuve slams Schumacher over 'lies'

Alan Henry

Thursday August 17, 2006

The Guardian

Jacques Villeneuve has accused Michael Schumacher of a succession of dirty tricks and deliberately lying to his fans and fellow drivers. In a remarkable personal attack on the seven-times champion he concludes that the Ferrari driver will soon be forgotten once he finally retires from driving.

Villeneuve, who won the 1997 world championship driving a Williams-Renault, delivered his broadside in an interview to be published next week in F1 Racing magazine. Bemoaning what he believes to be a shortage of real stars in formula one, Villeneuve, who was replaced in the BMW Sauber line-up by the novice Robert Kubica from the Hungarian grand prix, fires the first salvo by claiming that Schumacher lacks the star quality to be lauded on the same level as Ayrton Senna, Alain Prost or Nigel Mansell.

"I think the problem is that you don't ever see his true personality," he said. "He's a racer - but a pure racer, nothing but a racer and, because of that, I think the day he hangs up his helmet people will just forget him.

"Senna, by contrast, will never be forgotten. Some of that is the James Dean factor, of course, because he was killed in action at a young age, but not all of it. I don't even think Michael will live on in people's memories as strong or as long as Prost has - certainly not as strong or as long as Mansell has. Those people attained a hero status that Michael never has and never will."

Villeneuve feels that Schumacher displayed his true colours during qualifying for this year's Monaco grand prix when he skidded to a halt, blocking the track and preventing Fernando Alonso from completing his own qualifying run. He clearly brackets this with the episode at Jerez during the 1997 European grand prix when Schumacher's Ferrari collided with his Williams in what turned out to be the race that decided the championship in the Canadian driver's favour.

"Michael simply isn't a great champion because he's played too many dirty tricks and because he isn't a great human being," said Villeneuve. "Yes, Senna played dirty tricks too but he did it with more class, more integrity. When he took Prost out [in the Japanese grand prix] at Suzuka in 1990, he said he was going to do it before the race.

"So, unlike Michael, who ridiculously insisted he was innocent at Monaco this year, Senna said, 'Yes, I did it. But I told you before the race that I was going to do it.' That's very different from what Michael did at Monaco and Jerez [in 1997] and Adelaide [in 1994 where he collided controversially with Damon Hill].

"Senna wasn't lying to the fans. Michael was. And the sad thing is that, of course, the fans accept it - they swear black is white, in fact - just so that they can go on respecting the sport they love. And Michael takes advantage of that loyalty."

What particularly annoyed Villeneuve was Schumacher's arrogant defiance even towards his peers during a meeting of the Grand Prix Drivers' Association convened at Silverstone over the British grand prix weekend specifically to discuss his behaviour at Monaco.

"But he lies not only to fans but to his fellow drivers, too," said Villeneuve. "At the GPDA meeting at Silverstone he lied to us [about his qualifying incident at Monaco] and he didn't even have the decency to appear embarrassed about it. He just stared in our eyes and lied. And we all knew we were being lied to but very few of us bothered to say anything [Villeneuve, Alex Wurz and Pedro de la Rosa were the only ones who did] because most are scared of Michael or just wanted the meeting to be over so that they could go and watch the World Cup, which was a pathetic way to behave when there was such an important matter under discussion.

"It's quite sad, really - because the reason Michael did what he did is that he thinks he's better than the rest of us. He thinks he's bigger than the sport, too, but he isn't. And when he retires, and no one really remembers him, that will become clear."

Villeneuve also believes that formula one has spawned a generation of drivers who are so intimidated by their teams that they lack the ability to think for themselves - or analyse any responsibility they might have for driving errors on the circuit. "Some drivers are totally willing to accept what their teams tell them - namely that they're at the bottom of the food chain," he said. "You know, 'You're here to drive, nothing more.'

"That affects their mind-sets adversely and that's why you never really get drivers admitting culpability in racing incidents these days. They can't even recognise their own culpability because they've been programmed not to admit to it. And because less intelligence and responsibility are expected of them, they display less intelligence and responsibility, which is ultimately a safety problem."

How it all began

Jacques Villeneuve went head to head with Michael Schumacher for the 1997 world title in the final race of the season, the European grand prix at Jerez. "I wasn't on new tyres from the start and I had to struggle to keep up with Michael," said Villeneuve, who moved into second place with a gap of four or five seconds. But by the time they made their first refuelling stops the gap was much less. On lap 47, going into the Dry Sack right-hander, Villeneuve made his move. He dived down the inside of the Ferrari and the cars collided as Schumacher deliberately turned into him. The Ferrari was beached in the gravel and Villeneuve struggled home third. Schumacher was stripped of all his championship points for the season as punishment.

and you all don't gonna miss a character that talks like that....

i agree fully with all he said and it's true ........

there's no more to say he said everything ......

These are not the words of a man expecting to be in F1 next season. These are the parting shots of a man going into F1 retirement. Good bye, Jacques, and thanks for the memories....

These are not the words of a man expecting to be in F1 next season. These are the parting shots of a man going into F1 retirement. Good bye, Jacques, and thanks for the memories....

I agree, Jacques Villeneuve has left Formula One in the same way he entered it, with a BANG We will always have the memories in our hearts.

Yes, good stuff N_Fan,

I've always liked JV outspokenness, and wether you like it or not, he makes some really strong true statements in there, particularly the ones concerning Prost and Senna,...

Lovely...

Yes, good stuff N_Fan,

I've always liked JV outspokenness, and wether you like it or not, he makes some really strong true statements in there, particularly the ones concerning Prost and Senna,...

Lovely...

What did he say about the two masters?

"I think the problem is that you don't ever see his true personality," he said. "He's a racer - but a pure racer, nothing but a racer and, because of that, I think the day he hangs up his helmet people will just forget him.

This guy has a real problem with MS - Michael has more class in his lttle finger than JV will ever have. Rest assured MS will not dignify these remarks with any kind of response. JV is has been and is simply not worth the time of day to some like MS.

"Michael simply isn't a great champion because he's played too many dirty tricks and because he isn't a great human being," said Villeneuve. "Yes, Senna played dirty tricks too but he did it with more class, more integrity. When he took Prost out [in the Japanese grand prix] at Suzuka in 1990, he said he was going to do it before the race.

Senna said, 'Yes, I did it. But I told you before the race that I was going to do it.' That's very different from what Michael

So that makes it ok then Jaques :eusa_think:

And when he retires, and no one really remembers him, that will become clear." :lol:

"Some drivers are totally willing to accept what their teams tell them - namely that they're at the bottom of the food chain," he said. "You know, 'You're here to drive, nothing more.'

"That affects their mind-sets adversely and that's why you never really get drivers admitting culpability in racing incidents these days. They can't even recognise their own culpability because they've been programmed not to admit to it. And because less intelligence and responsibility are expected of them, they display less intelligence and responsibility, which is ultimately a safety problem."

This guy has a real problem being a team player. JV is unsuited to F1 - he has very little class and thinks the world revolves around him. BMW dumped him because he was slow, confrontational and a prize w@nker.

P!ss off to Nascar and do us all a favour - Pr!ck :pop:

This guy has a real problem with MS - Michael has more class in his lttle finger than JV will ever have. Rest assured MS will not dignify these remarks with any kind of response. JV is has been and is simply not worth the time of day to some like MS.

So that makes it ok then Jaques :eusa_think:

And when he retires, and no one really remembers him, that will become clear." :lol:

This guy has a real problem being a team player. JV is unsuited to F1 - he has very little class and thinks the world revolves around him. BMW dumped him because he was slow, confrontational and a prize w@nker.

P!ss off to Nascar and do us all a favour - Pr!ck :pop:

i would say that your comment shows exactly how much class you have.if you have read any of the forums jv has proved to be faster than his team mate.before making any comments i suggest you do your homework.i think you're just a wanna be f1 fan.

i would say that your comment shows exactly how much class you have.if you have read any of the forums jv has proved to be faster than his team mate.before making any comments i suggest you do your homework.i think you're just a wanna be f1 fan.

:welcome: to the forum.

For me, JV could very easily have made peace with F1 in his final hour. Why not kiss and make up with MS, Patrick head, Mario etc. Why leave in a blaze of head lines, finger pointing and derogatory statements about a fellow professional :blink: JV is a very successful driver, why detract from that by making childish and petulant comments - The guy should be bigger than that.

All told he has left F1 with a bad smell and, but for his 1997 WDC, would be forgotten by Monza.

What did he say about the two masters?

"He's a racer - but a pure racer, nothing but a racer and, because of that, I think the day he hangs up his helmet people will just forget him. Senna, by contrast, will never be forgotten. Some of that is the James Dean factor, of course, because he was killed in action at a young age, but not all of it. I don't even think Michael will live on in people's memories as strong or as long as Prost has - certainly not as strong or as long as Mansell has. Those people attained a hero status that Michael never has and never will."

Villeneuve believes Schumacher showed his true character during qualifying in Monaco earlier this season when he blocked the track at the end of the qualifying session preventing Alonso and Raikkonen to improve their qualifying lap times. "Michael simply isn't a great champion because he's played too many dirty tricks and because he isn't a great human being," said Villeneuve. "Yes, Senna played dirty tricks too but he did it with more class, more integrity. When he took Prost out at Suzuka in 1990, he said he was going to do it before the race."

"So, unlike Michael, who ridiculously insisted he was innocent at Monaco this year, Senna said, 'Yes, I did it. But I told you before the race that I was going to do it.' That's very different from what Michael did at Monaco and Jerez [in 1997] and Adelaide [in 1994 where he collided controversially with Damon Hill]. Senna wasn't lying to the fans. Michael was. And the sad thing is that, of course, the fans accept it - they swear black is white, in fact - just so that they can go on respecting the sport they love. And Michael takes advantage of that loyalty."

Welcome A fan! May you enjoy this forum. It may be turbulent at times, but that makes it (in my opinion at least) better!

thanks!i have been reading a lot of the comments made on many discussions and have found a lot of the comments made just nonsencs.the attacks and language used just shows the mentallity of the people who make the comments.it's unacceptable.it's great to have an opinion,it's only natural,but to attack someones opinion that may not agree with the writers is just an attack.poeple need to grow up.case and point "fed up"

thanks!i have been reading a lot of the comments made on many discussions and have found a lot of the comments made just nonsencs.the attacks and language used just shows the mentallity of the people who make the comments.it's unacceptable.it's great to have an opinion,it's only natural,but to attack someones opinion that may not agree with the writers is just an attack.poeple need to grow up.case and point "fed up"

You need to take a chill pill man. One thing I dont do is attack other forum members, there is no upside there. My attacks are on JV and are no worse than his attacks on MS. If MS said similar things about JV or your favourite driver it is most likely going to stir similar emotions in yourself. JV's comments are very harsh and will undoubtedley polarise opinions - I am in the MS camp, you are oviously in the JV camp.

If I am to give you any advice on here, dont personalise your comments as there are other members that will fight fire with fire and come right back at ya.

FWIW I have been watching F1 since the 80's so I could argue that I know a little about the sport.

for me Jv is really educated cos if it was me at 97 it would up ended in different way .... yes maybe Jv still feels that moment but MS is helping him to forget cos he do the same again and again ...

yeah like i always said in my previous coments SENNA, PROST and Mansell are the great 3 and always gonna remain even a 7 times world champion can changed that......

You need to take a chill pill man. One thing I dont do is attack other forum members, there is no upside there. My attacks are on JV and are no worse than his attacks on MS. If MS said similar things about JV or your favourite driver it is most likely going to stir similar emotions in yourself. JV's comments are very harsh and will undoubtedley polarise opinions - I am in the MS camp, you are oviously in the JV camp.

If I am to give you any advice on here, dont personalise your comments as there are other members that will fight fire with fire and come right back at ya.

FWIW I have been watching F1 since the 80's so I could argue that I know a little about the sport.

ok when MS said bad things on JV and remeber MS started this out cos he pulled on Jv in 97 so....

but when MS said bad things on JV i don't come out here like you and post idiot pathethic comments i said agree or not ....so you're just a ****in liar like your idol.......

cheers man....

"He's a racer - but a pure racer, nothing but a racer and, because of that, I think the day he hangs up his helmet people will just forget him. Senna, by contrast, will never be forgotten. Some of that is the James Dean factor, of course, because he was killed in action at a young age, but not all of it. I don't even think Michael will live on in people's memories as strong or as long as Prost has - certainly not as strong or as long as Mansell has. Those people attained a hero status that Michael never has and never will."

Villeneuve believes Schumacher showed his true character during qualifying in Monaco earlier this season when he blocked the track at the end of the qualifying session preventing Alonso and Raikkonen to improve their qualifying lap times. "Michael simply isn't a great champion because he's played too many dirty tricks and because he isn't a great human being," said Villeneuve. "Yes, Senna played dirty tricks too but he did it with more class, more integrity. When he took Prost out at Suzuka in 1990, he said he was going to do it before the race."

"So, unlike Michael, who ridiculously insisted he was innocent at Monaco this year, Senna said, 'Yes, I did it. But I told you before the race that I was going to do it.' That's very different from what Michael did at Monaco and Jerez [in 1997] and Adelaide [in 1994 where he collided controversially with Damon Hill]. Senna wasn't lying to the fans. Michael was. And the sad thing is that, of course, the fans accept it - they swear black is white, in fact - just so that they can go on respecting the sport they love. And Michael takes advantage of that loyalty."

I thought all this was common knowlegde.

Its funny that so many do not seem to understand that Michaels win at all cost approach makes him a scumbag. Its like JV said, they chose to look through the fingers just so that they wont lose respect for the sport. Jesus Christ, MS should have been banned long ago. Problem is that FIA is a bunch of eunuchs.

My thought on this is that JV made another mistake by appearing bitter about MS and claiming he will be soon forgotten and stating elsewhere that BMW needs him etc.Especially now that he has left the F1 scene.He should have been cooler and go out proudly after a good season.Oh well...

for me Jv is really educated cos if it was me at 97 it would up ended in different way .... yes maybe Jv still feels that moment but MS is helping him to forget cos he do the same again and again ...

yeah like i always said in my previous coments SENNA, PROST and Mansell are the great 3 and always gonna remain even a 7 times world champion can changed that......

ok when MS said bad things on JV and remeber MS started this out cos he pulled on Jv in 97 so....

but when MS said bad things on JV i don't come out here like you and post idiot pathethic comments i said agree or not ....so you're just a ****in liar like your idol.......

cheers man....

:itsok:

Oh well ....

Damon Hill hates MS just as much as JV and lost a certain WDC because of MS's dirty tricks. The whole world knows this so you wont hear similar JV type comments from Hill.

It's all about class, Kenneth.

:itsok:

Oh well ....

Damon Hill hates MS just as much as JV and lost a certain WDC because of MS's dirty tricks. The whole world knows this so you wont hear similar JV type comments from Hill.

It's all about class, Kenneth.

so cos of one doesn't talk and the other talk that means nothing ...here is the class like i said before and you can judge me whatever you want ...if it was me i will break his idiot pathetic face in peaces.....

what a ****in man is to do those moves all the time all his carrer is a Sh#t for me ,no 1 status in his team all other drivers has confimed this ....dirty moves to win ..etc...and there's more if you want.....

no Jv is right to talk that's what we call freedom of expression ....... so you can don't agree with him that's all

but not saying now you're out so etc....whatever they said here ...yeah i like when Jv speaks about MS cos his right...****in right.

b]if it was me i will break his idiot pathetic face in peaces[/b].....

There is an uncanny similarity in your approach to that of JV.

You are JV's number one fan

:thbup:

There is an uncanny similarity in your approach to that of JV.

You are JV's number one fan

:thbup:

no man you're wrong i'm abit of a b#####d like MS ..........