Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

narain fan

Willis Free On December 31

Honda and Willis split

18 August 2006

On Friday the Honda Racing F1 team announced that the team's technical director Geoffrey Willis will leave the team. The team and Willis have reached a mutual agreement to conclude their working relationship.

Before Willis joined Honda he was employed as chief aerodynamicist by the Williams F1 team and also worked as a consultant at the Leyton House team in the early 1990s. While at Leyton House, Willis met Adrian Newey and it was through this association that he joined Williams, after Newey was recruited by the British team. When Newey moved to rival McLaren in 1996 Willis was promoted, alongside Gavin Fisher, to take his role.

In 2001 Willis joined the all new BAR team, which was bought by Honda last year.

Geoffrey Willis said about his departure: "The last five years with the team has been a very challenging but rewarding time for me. It has also been a period of great change for the team and I would like to thank all of my colleagues who have helped to set and achieve new standards and establish the team as a technology leader in Formula One. It has been a great pleasure and an education to work with such an enthusiastic and capable group of people and I wish them every success in the future."

Honda F1's team boss Nick Fry commented on Willis' exit: "Geoff has made an invaluable technical contribution to the development of our team over the last five years, leading to our 2nd place in the F1 Constructors Championship in 2004 and of course contributing towards the momentous occasion of our first win in Hungary two weeks ago."

"His unwavering focus on the quality of our engineering and the introduction of robust engineering processes has provided foundations that will stand the team in good stead for years to come and pave the way for future success. I would like to thank Geoff both personally and from all our team. We wish him every success in the future

F1RACING.NET

Geoff Willis will be free to work for another F1 team from the end of the year. The former Honda F1 designer has now reached an agreement with the team over his departure and it is believed that there has been a financial settlement which will allow Willis to work elsewhere in 2007

GP.COM

its the same Willis Free on December 31, than "Free Willis" on your screens, December 31th?

I thought it was a movie title... :P

its the same Willis Free on December 31, than "Free Willis" on your screens, December 31th?

I thought it was a movie title... :P

:lol::lol: