Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ctrl300

DC vs Rubens

Whom is the better driver?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Whom is the better driver?

• DC is better
    • Rubens is better
    • Pretty equal
    • Impossible to compare the two
    • They both stink

I find this interresting because they both have had to play second fiddle, albeit Rubens more so than DC. They both have been in F1 about the same amount of time (Rubens one season more 1993). And they both have spent many seaons in race-winning machinery.

Lets start out with the basic statistics of the two (I will only include statistics from seasons where both have raced).

Driver: Rubens Barrichello vs. David Coulthard

(Wholw numbers are number of races)

Races: 194 194

Best on grid: 88 45% 54% 106

Best at finish: 100 51% 48% 94

Victory: 9 4% 6% 13

Pole: 13 6% 6% 13

Podium: 60 30% 30% 60

FastesLaps: 15 7% 9% 18

FinInPoints: 96 49% 56% 110

Retirements: 72 62 (inc. one DSQ)

EDIT: Rewritten so that Fed up can make sense og the numbers

Ok, statistics only goes so far when doing a comparison between drivers whom are not teammates. Nevertheless, if such a driver comparison can be done using statistics I think these two must be the best lab-rats.

Their statistics are extremely equal, they have both spent a long time with top outfits (RB 6 with Ferrari, DC 9 with McLaren and 1.5 with Williams). But given the dominance if the Ferrari machine durin the first half of this decade I think DC has come out on top both in overall capability and according to the statistics.

you know what the only thing you can compare is that RB with Ferrari has won less that DC with Mclaren and Williams, that is the whole comparison. Rubens had the perfect car and didn't won as much as DC.

What don't you understand?

I get it now :blush:

Too difficult to call, i'm afraid.

Ruebens has had arguably the greatest driver in F1 as a yardstick and has been shackled by team orders etc. He was v fast at Stewart and managed to keep MS honest while at Ferrari.

DC has flatterd to decieve - He has been in near the best machinery for 99% of his f1 career, but has been humbled by all bar his RBR team mates.

That said, DC shades it IMHO - Just!

I get it now :blush:

Too difficult to call, i'm afraid.

Ruebens has had arguably the greatest driver in F1 as a yardstick and has been shackled by team orders etc. He was v fast at Stewart and managed to keep MS honest while at Ferrari.

DC has flatterd to decieve - He has been in near the best machinery for 99% of his f1 career, but has been humbled by all bar his RBR team mates.

That said, DC shades it IMHO - Just!

Rubens was in the best car in 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003 and 2004 while Coulthard was in the best car in 1998 and maybe 1999. Coulthard also has beaten his teammates at McLaren which is something Rubens didnt do while he was at Ferrari.

Rubens was in the best car in 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003 and 2004 while Coulthard was in the best car in 1998 and maybe 1999. Coulthard also has beaten his teammates at McLaren which is something Rubens didnt do while he was at Ferrari.

Another deluded and blind f1 'fan' :rolleyes:

As I have chosen to ignore the JV/MS debates I am now going to ignore this one as posters like you find it very difficult to be objective.

I gave the verdict to DC but disagree with your above comments.

Whatever!

I am a bit dissapointed that no one have voted they both stink :lol:

I agree with you ykick, Rubens where in better machiney from 00 through 04, but then again DC had better machinery from 94 through 99. Also, DC had quite ample machinery in both 00 and 03. Which makes DC enjoying 8 years of race winning machinery, while RB only having the same in 5.

I am a bit dissapointed that no one have voted they both stink :lol:

I agree with you ykick, Rubens where in better machiney from 00 through 04, but then again DC had better machinery from 94 through 99. Also, DC had quite ample machinery in both 00 and 03. Which makes DC enjoying 8 years of race winning machinery, while RB only having the same in 5.

I'm glad you went through the trouble of getting those stats - I couldn't be bothered to :)

I would have voted for RB but for DC's impressive showing at RBR. He has shown a maturity and desire that I hadn't noticed while he was at McLaren. I also like the fact that he is prepared to race on a $$$ per points basis - performance related pay always seperates the men from the boys.

I think you guys are forgetting that DC was allowed to beat his team mates.

What are you talking about. Coulthard would have a extra 2 or 3 wins if McLaren didnt order him to let Mika past.

What are you talking about. Coulthard would have a extra 2 or 3 wins if McLaren didnt order him to let Mika past.

Ok, more often allowed to beat his team mates, and also didnt have a dominating team mate along side him for so many years

Ok, more often allowed to beat his team mates, and also didnt have a dominating team mate along side him for so many years

Mika was a double world champion. Thats nothing to sneeze at.

Mika was a double world champion. Thats nothing to sneeze at.

Two years out of nine.

Rubens had it six out of six

You also have to remember that the courtesy was also extended to DC by MH - The drivers had some sort of agreement that whoever got to the 1st corner 1st would effectively win the race.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Coulthard

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubens_Barrichello

Ruben's is one of those driver's that people like but not enough to support alone. I like him even if he was MS's lacky he was still a nice guy and its great to see him away from all that now...Massa's a complete tosser.

My votes for DC as the better driver though.

I prefer DC's driving style; smooth and agressive, with much flipping-of-the-bird.......

Can someone please provide a translation for American to English.

Can someone please provide a translation for American to English.

LOL!! Sticking the middle finger up in the air, angrily.

you can tell when people are suffering F1 withdrawl due to 3 weeks off, they come up with such pointless poles. i have some ideas for other poles, maybe we can just have one big thread

first:

Black or Blue?

second:

Scotch or Gin?

third: is this topic pointless

yes or apsolutly?

you can tell when people are suffering F1 withdrawl due to 3 weeks off, they come up with such pointless poles. i have some ideas for other poles, maybe we can just have one big thread

first:

Black or Blue?

second:

Scotch or Gin?

third: is this topic pointless

yes or apsolutly?

I can't see how this is a pointless excercise.

Much of the time spent on the BB is arguing about whom is the better or worse driver. Now RB and DC have very similar carreers so they actually present something that is (for once) comparable, much more so than comparing Schu to Prost/Senna, Kimi to Schu, and even Alonso to Kimi.

Maybe you can come up with a non-teammate driver comparison that will make sense to 'apsolutly' all members?