Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ykickamoocow

Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin Dead

THE Crocodile Hunter, Steve Irwin, is dead.

He was killed in a freak accident in Cairns, police sources said today.

It is understood he was killed by a stingray barb that went through his chest and reportedly into his heart .

He was swimming off the Low Isles at Port Douglas filming an underwater documentary when the tragedy occured.

The Queensland Ambulance Service (QAS) was called about 11am (AEST) and an emergency services helicopter was flown to the crew's boat on Batt Reef, off the coast near Cairns, with a doctor and emergency services paramedic on board.

Irwin had a puncture wound to the left side of his chest and was pronounced dead at the scene.

Irwin's body is being flown to Cairns.

Tasmania Police this afternoon confirmed his wife Terri was travelling in the state at the time of the tragedy.

A spokeswoman said police had made contact with Mrs Irwin and "passed on a message relating to the death of her husband".

The Irwins have two children - a daughter, Bindi Sue Irwin, eight, and a three-year-old son, Robert (Bob) Clarence Irwin.

Steve Irwin - known worldwide as the Crocodile Hunter - was famous for his enthusiasm for wildlife and his catchcry "Crikey!".

In an sad twist, it has been reported that his new documentary was aimed at demystifying the stingray.

Irwin's Crocodile Hunter program was first broadcast in 1992 and has been shown around the world on cable network Discovery.

He has also starred in movies and has developed the Australia Zoo wildlife park, north of Brisbane, which was started by his parents Bob and Lyn Irwin.

Tributes have already started pouring in for the larger-than-life character.

Foreign Minister Alexander Downer, who used a photograph of his family at Australia Zoo for his official Christmas card last year, hailed Mr Irwin for his work in promoting Australia.

Irwin was heavily involved in last year's "G'Day LA" campaign.

"The minister knew him, was fond of him and was very, very appreciative of all the work he'd done to promote Australia overseas," a spokesman said.

A Tourism Queensland spokeswoman said the death was shocking and paid tribute to Irwin's "enormous contribution" to his adopted state.

"I don't think we could even estimate how much he brought us through his personality and his profile and his enthusiasm about Queensland," she said.

060904_steveIrwin2.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is very sad. I found him irritating but he was a enviromentalist and loved animals which i always respected.

I cant believe it he was so cool like he never feared anything with huge teeth, I still cant believe hes gone its seems to weird he seemed like he was never going to die as he took so many risks. :( R.I.P. Steve ! And my wishes go to his wife and 2 kids.

Shame poor guy, RIP.

CRIKEY!

Very sad news, Australia has lost a true ledgend today. :(

May the good work that Steve Irwin has done for the environment/wildlife in Australia and around the world never be forgoten.

Rest in peace Steve

Very sad news, Australia has lost a true ledgend today. :(

May the good work that Steve Irwin has done for the environment/wildlife in Australia and around the world never be forgoten.

Rest in peace Steve

Yes, Indeed!

Very tragic indeed. Making it even worse is that he had his little girl with him when he was killed (according to SBS).

I sincerely liked the guy. He was a true Aussie icon and a hero for the environment :thbup:

Its a truly tragic and extremely unfortunate accident. He was annoying to many but he was also pretty funny and his telly programmes made wildlife fun. He was even famous enough to appear on south park and the simpsons! I never knew that australians had a 'australian of the year award'

Its a truly tragic and extremely unfortunate accident. He was annoying to many but he was also pretty funny and his telly programmes made wildlife fun. He was even famous enough to appear on south park and the simpsons! I never knew that australians had a 'australian of the year award'

I also found him annoying but i always knew he was a nice person who cared about animals and the enviroment. Irwin was nominated for Australian of the year in 2005 but the eventual winner was cricketer Steve Waugh.

There was certainly a surreal feeling around the office today. I can't admit to being a massive fan, but I do realise all the good he did and that he passed doing what he loved best. :(

Rest in Peace Steve - you will not be forgotten. :byebye:

I cant believe it!

:unsure:

Damn I really like the guy...

But he as many racing drivers, died the way they would want to, doing the thing that he loved best...

:congrats::rip:

Animal Planet won't be the same anymore. It won't be the same for us either. Truly tragic that he died.

The accident reminds of another story that I read in Reader's Digest a long time ago. This guy in north America bonded with grizzlies very much. Unfortunately ,one day he met his end at the hands of a savage grizzly.

It's bitter to accept that good men aren't spared the vagaries of bad luck. It's extremely unfortunate that Steve died doing something he liked the most. My thoughts go out to his wife & kids.

I remember seeing an episode on Animal Planet where Steve sobbed like a baby when a croc died. Even though I hate crocs, I felt a lump in my throat on seeing the extent to which Steve grieved.

R.I.P Steve.

There was certainly a surreal feeling around the office today. I can't admit to being a massive fan, but I do realise all the good he did and that he passed doing what he loved best. :(

Rest in Peace Steve - you will not be forgotten. :byebye:

me too cant really belive this...one of my uncles who was watchin one of his program in my house(animal planet) did coment that he could be killed by one of them(program featuring some reptiles other then crocs)....cant really belive this! :( ....yep...we all will miss him!

I remember seeing an episode on Animal Planet where Steve sobbed like a baby when a croc died. Even though I hate crocs, I felt a lump in my throat on seeing the extent to which Steve grieved.

R.I.P Steve.

Yes that episode was telecast many times..

I also found him annoying but i always knew he was a nice person who cared about animals and the enviroment. Irwin was nominated for Australian of the year in 2005 but the eventual winner was cricketer Steve Waugh.

Yeah you've slagged him off many a time ykick, I fear those are crocodile tears you are sheading.

I got to see him in person once at the San Diego Zoo, he put on a grat show and was a warm and nice person. :rip: Steve :(

I really enjoyed his shows and personality. He did alot to de-mystify the dangerous animals in our world. Alot of my fear of snakes has been removed because of him and his efforts to explain the reptile world.

I will really miss him.......

Yeah you've slagged him off many a time ykick, I fear those are crocodile tears you are sheading.

Has he? All I remember is him saying he presents a stereotypical image of an Aussie that people abroad seem to love.

Anyway I know little about him, I prefer documentaries that let the pictures speak for themselves. Reminds me of a trip to an observatory I made here a while ago, they open for the public and there was this lady leading the tours around (mainly the family out on weekend with the kids type), we kept running into them. I found her annoying and I hate the whole excercise of trivializing things to make people appreciate what is being done. But if that is what it takes with the pitfalls of democracy, I'll live with it. The same with Irwin, I'll live with it if the mission's worthwhile.

Anyway yes, sad news :(

really sad news :( Only yesterday (literally) was I watching one of his programmes. But as ecap said, at least he died doing something he loved

rip steve, a real shame and an even bigger loss

It's tough to live with, he died doing something he lived for. But it was such a freakish accident, that you figure, it would never happen.

Just out of curiosity, about what time did this tragic event occur?

11AM I believe.

I can't believe how many people care and all the media it is getting, I personally thought the guy was a tool. Now I've heard some of th things he did, and he seems like a decent guy (atleast off TV, for me) but still.... so much coverage.....

RIP.

I believe that if the Irwin family accect the Queensland State Government will hold a full State Funeral.

This would be a fitting tribute to Steve Irwin from a State and Country that he has done so much for.

11AM I believe.

I can't believe how many people care and all the media it is getting, I personally thought the guy was a tool. Now I've heard some of th things he did, and he seems like a decent guy (atleast off TV, for me) but still.... so much coverage.....

RIP.

I do love the Brutal honesty of Sato!

I actually remember a topic a few months ago where everyone was slagging the croc wrestler off...

BTW, I do agree with the sentiment he went out doing something he loved!