Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ctrl300

Schumacher Legend Will Be Tainted By Mistakes

Former drivers have reservations about the German

MICHAEL SCHUMACHER may be the most successful driver in Formula One history, but according to British former racers he cannot be regarded as the greatest the sport has known. Sir Stirling Moss, who won 16 grands prix, is in no doubt that it is wrong to class Schumacher alongside legends such as Juan Manuel Fangio, Ayrton Senna and Jim Clark. Moss dismisses claims of such status for the German, seven times the world champion, as

I think they are spot on. Schumacher is clearly a step down from Fangio, Clark, Prost, and Senna.

I said just this last week and got big stick from the Ferrari fans on here.

Mmmm, who would I rather have agreeing with me... Three ex-f1 drivers(2 of them legends) or some biased ferrari fans. Ill take the former thanks ;)

And then people mention Senna.........

Senna could have been a dirty driver like Schumacher. I dont know because i was only 6 when Senna died. I am however well aware of most of Schumacher's questionable actions and im certain he is a bad sportsman.

Schumacher's repuatation will be tainted after his numerous questionable actions.

i look forward to 2007!!bye bye schmuker :clap3:

And then people mention Senna.........

Hardly! Apart from 1990 which could arguably just be put down as revenge for the year before, name me one?

Did you ever see Senna race or are you just arguing for the fun of it?

Senna was a true racer.....Incident from 1990 cant even compare to Shcumacher's 94,97 and others like MOntral with HHF etc......

There are also drivers who say he IS up there with the greatest ever - most notably Niki Lauda. I personally believe that in 10 years schuey will be seen as 1 of the greatest. And I think he should be, as even though he had his controversial moments he also had many, many more truly incredible performances all through his career, defying the odds and pulling off incredible results which no other driver that I've seen (thats since 1998) could ever do

Hardly! Apart from 1990 which could arguably just be put down as revenge for the year before, name me one?

Did you ever see Senna race or are you just arguing for the fun of it?

I find it so funny everytime a tifosi tries to put Senna down and place him in the same unethical and amoral grave Schumacher has dug for himself.

Jealousy... :D All the drivers that are no longer among us seem to get all the credit from the "former".Yet the level of skill in racing these days can't be even compared to the one 50 years ago.Back then there was more bravery involved but the skill didn't have to match the one of an acrobat.Would Fangio be driving the wheels of the 248F1 or he would have been 5 secs slower than Felippe Massa?We 'll never know.Thats why all this comparison is pointless.MS is the best while racing and the best statistically.I don't know who would you put your money on in a Fangio-Schumacher kart race, but my money would be on MS :lol:

50 years ago the grid was filled by middle aged overweight men who could spend the cash, it cannot be possibly compared to the depth in motor racing today.

Anyway comparing different eras is pointless, but to say Michael won't count among the greats because of what he did on track and then calling Senna the greatest ever is a bit rich. I never figured out why Senna perpetually has a halo around his name, because he died? :unsure:

Lets not get into camparing drivers from different era's, we all know that it's a pointless exercise.

MS will always be remembered as one of the greatest ever, even with his burning desire to do whatever it takes to win.

50 years ago the grid was filled by middle aged overweight men who could spend the cash, it cannot be possibly compared to the depth in motor racing today.

Anyway comparing different eras is pointless, but to say Michael won't count among the greats because of what he did on track and then calling Senna the greatest ever is a bit rich. I never figured out why Senna perpetually has a halo around his name, because he died? :unsure:

The death of Senna undoubtly made him a saint, but that never affected the passing of judgement on his increadible talent. He was hailed one of the best ever by most while alive. No one (besides from the tifosis) will lift Schumacher up to the level of Prost, Clark and Senna. And to bring up statistics won't cut it.

BTW, Prost felt that the two greatest of his time (ofcourse he would not name himself) was Gilles and Ayrton. Most of the current drivers would probably hail Schumacher the greatest of the era spanning 1994-2006, but if Alonso or Kimi will eclipse him at the end of their carreers is yet to bee seen.

Following are some thought on Schumacher by current and former F1 faces:

"I think we lose and we will miss a great champion on the track. He beat all the records so he has the best numbers in Formula One but I think maybe F1 will focus more on sport after that."

Fernando Alonso, F1 world champion

"Where Schumacher cannot draw the right line is on track. He cannot see when he crosses the line between tough but fair, and ruthless but foul.

"That is exacerbated by his total belief that he cannot be wrong. He has a default mode in the car: if you're going to pass him, he will drive you off the road. He even did it to me as a team-mate."

Martin Brundle, former Benetton team-mate

"If the best guy in the world retires it is certainly a sad day. You can say whatever you want, he won seven world championships and he might win another one. There is nobody like him in the world, he is unique."

Niki Lauda, triple F1 world champion

"He's been in it long enough and achieved everything. His records will never be broken probably. So I think it's time to give some space for younger boys."

Former F1 driver Mika Salo, who stood in for Schumacher when the German broke his leg in 1999

"He's done some fantastic drives, he's made some stupid mistakes. He's not a great in my mind like [Juan Manuel] Fangio, but is one of the most talented drivers."

F1 legend Stirling Moss

Toyota driver

"People have said to me that F1 is boring because he wins everything. So presumably when he's not here, people will be happy. But we'll miss him, because he is a superstar."

Bernie Ecclestone, Formula One boss

"Everybody will miss Michael, whoever they are. It is a big event for everyone. I think someone of his ability, someone of his experience, and someone of his involvement will be very badly missed. But F1 goes on, Ferrari goes on."

Ross Brawn, Ferrari technical director

"Michael has been the author of a unique chapter in the history of Formula One and he is a great friend."

Jean Todt, Ferrari managing director

"The last stars I saw in F1 were (Ayrton) Senna and, even if he won only one world championship, Jacques Villeneuve. If we want, we could also add (Juan Pablo) Montoya. Now, instead, we have only champions."

Flavio Briatore, Renault boss, who led the Benetton team with which Schumacher won his first two titles

"On one hand we will miss him as he is the complete driver and we have a great relationship. On the other hand, every driver wants to be in his postion with seven world titles in his pocket. Great drivers retire and others come - hopefully I can be one of these.

Ferrari team-mate Felipe Massa

"Michael is the most experienced driver and he has achieved the most so it is good to have someone like him involved. But he will leave and someone will take his place and it will still be competitive."

Honda driver Jenson Button

"It is a pity for F1 to lose such a great champion, but the time to stop comes to everyone."

Gerhard Berger, former Ferrari F1 driver

"We will miss him a little bit as a driver. We will miss him a lot in the football matches."

Jarno Trulli, Toyota driver

"Any top driver when he leaves will be missed. Michael's probably the furthest up the scale of anyone because he's got an unbeaten record. It won't damage F1 in any way but I think all of us who follow it will miss him clearly because he is an exceptional driver."

Max Mosley, president of governing body the FIA

"He has everything to lose and nothing to gain, so it's very logical and sensible to retire while he's on top of his game, but knowing Michael, everything he has been able to do, I think he would still have the energy to continue."

Alex Zanardi, former F1 driver and double Champ Car champion

"He should be able to sleep comfortably in his bed now."

Jackie Stewart three-time world champion

"He has broken every record in the book, has money in the bank, a loving family and lots of lovely homes but it will be very, very difficult for him to find a replacement in his life for what Formula One has given him."

Murray Walker, former television commentator

I agree.

Brilliant post Ctrl!!!

The death of Senna undoubtly made him a saint, but that never affected the passing of judgement on his increadible talent. He was hailed one of the best ever by most while alive. No one (besides from the tifosis) will lift Schumacher up to the level of Prost, Clark and Senna. And to bring up statistics won't cut it.

BTW, Prost felt that the two greatest of his time (ofcourse he would not name himself) was Gilles and Ayrton. Most of the current drivers would probably hail Schumacher the greatest of the era spanning 1994-2006, but if Alonso or Kimi will eclipse him at the end of their carreers is yet to bee seen.

Following are some thought on Schumacher by current and former F1 faces:

"I think we lose and we will miss a great champion on the track. He beat all the records so he has the best numbers in Formula One but I think maybe F1 will focus more on sport after that."

Fernando Alonso, F1 world champion

"Where Schumacher cannot draw the right line is on track. He cannot see when he crosses the line between tough but fair, and ruthless but foul.

"That is exacerbated by his total belief that he cannot be wrong. He has a default mode in the car: if you're going to pass him, he will drive you off the road. He even did it to me as a team-mate."

Martin Brundle, former Benetton team-mate

"If the best guy in the world retires it is certainly a sad day. You can say whatever you want, he won seven world championships and he might win another one. There is nobody like him in the world, he is unique."

Niki Lauda, triple F1 world champion

"He's been in it long enough and achieved everything. His records will never be broken probably. So I think it's time to give some space for younger boys."

Former F1 driver Mika Salo, who stood in for Schumacher when the German broke his leg in 1999

"He's done some fantastic drives, he's made some stupid mistakes. He's not a great in my mind like [Juan Manuel] Fangio, but is one of the most talented drivers."

F1 legend Stirling Moss

Toyota driver

"People have said to me that F1 is boring because he wins everything. So presumably when he's not here, people will be happy. But we'll miss him, because he is a superstar."

Bernie Ecclestone, Formula One boss

"Everybody will miss Michael, whoever they are. It is a big event for everyone. I think someone of his ability, someone of his experience, and someone of his involvement will be very badly missed. But F1 goes on, Ferrari goes on."

Ross Brawn, Ferrari technical director

"Michael has been the author of a unique chapter in the history of Formula One and he is a great friend."

Jean Todt, Ferrari managing director

"The last stars I saw in F1 were (Ayrton) Senna and, even if he won only one world championship, Jacques Villeneuve. If we want, we could also add (Juan Pablo) Montoya. Now, instead, we have only champions."

Flavio Briatore, Renault boss, who led the Benetton team with which Schumacher won his first two titles

"On one hand we will miss him as he is the complete driver and we have a great relationship. On the other hand, every driver wants to be in his postion with seven world titles in his pocket. Great drivers retire and others come - hopefully I can be one of these.

Ferrari team-mate Felipe Massa

"Michael is the most experienced driver and he has achieved the most so it is good to have someone like him involved. But he will leave and someone will take his place and it will still be competitive."

Honda driver Jenson Button

"It is a pity for F1 to lose such a great champion, but the time to stop comes to everyone."

Gerhard Berger, former Ferrari F1 driver

"We will miss him a little bit as a driver. We will miss him a lot in the football matches."

Jarno Trulli, Toyota driver

"Any top driver when he leaves will be missed. Michael's probably the furthest up the scale of anyone because he's got an unbeaten record. It won't damage F1 in any way but I think all of us who follow it will miss him clearly because he is an exceptional driver."

Max Mosley, president of governing body the FIA

"He has everything to lose and nothing to gain, so it's very logical and sensible to retire while he's on top of his game, but knowing Michael, everything he has been able to do, I think he would still have the energy to continue."

Alex Zanardi, former F1 driver and double Champ Car champion

"He should be able to sleep comfortably in his bed now."

Jackie Stewart three-time world champion

"He has broken every record in the book, has money in the bank, a loving family and lots of lovely homes but it will be very, very difficult for him to find a replacement in his life for what Formula One has given him."

Murray Walker, former television commentator

Nice collection of quotes!!But i can't understand why you rely so much on what someone else has said and try to back up your claims through that.Everyone has his own point of view.Since when are the race drivers the most intelligent humans :mellow: ?

Nice collection of quotes!!But i can't understand why you rely so much on what someone else has said and try to back up your claims through that.Everyone has his own point of view.Since when are the race drivers the most intelligent humans :mellow: ?

Cos f1 drivers know a lot more than we do about what its actually like being a driver and are better placed to judge schumacher than we are

[quote name='jemstride' post='138848' date='Sep 11 2006, 08:55 PM']Cos f1 drivers know a lot more than we do about what its actually like being a driver and are better placed to judge schumacher than we are[/quote]

I get the impression that most F1 drivers dislike Schumacher rather alot.

I guess some are annoyed at his unsportsmanship and some are jealous

You will find its the case with cheats in any sport!

See quote by jems...

Cos f1 drivers know a lot more than we do about what its actually like being a driver and are better placed to judge schumacher than we are

Exactly!

Tifosi too, can you as a passenger on an airliner pass judgement on a pilot, or is it better to listen to what other pilots have to say?

See quote by jems...

Exactly!

Tifosi too, can you as a passenger on an airliner pass judgement on a pilot, or is it better to listen to what other pilots have to say?

Well i 'm totally aware of what you are talking about but this would apply if they would judge MS on a professional level and within the area of their expertise...This is more like taking shots at a guy they don't seem to like very much.

The impression I got is that his off track persona is so different that most manage to get along - you can tell if you read the quotes from Trulli, Fisichella, Ralf, DC, Webber etc.There are a few sad men like Villeneuve and De La Rosa..