Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

c21

New Testing Proposal

Read the link,

I like it.

Its simple, more cost effective and it makes life easier for the test teams.

Oh, and surprise surprise, Ferrari dont like it :rolleyes:

http://www.totalf1.com/view-article.php?newsid=175633

Why would Ferrari want to throw away a competetive advantage they have in Fiorano to please the other teams?

For example, most big teams now have full scale wind tunnels that they run 24/7 and its very expensive to run them all the time. Now in order to save costs, if someone proposes a ban on full scale wind tunnels, naturally the teams that have the full scale winds tunnels would say no. I am sure McLaren and Renault would dream about having a private test track. Fiorano has always been a special place for Ferrari to test their Race and Road cars. Why give that away?

This Ferrari bashing is getting ridiculous on this forums.

Why do people even champion cutting tests. 95% of the advancement on a car is made durning tests, cutting test will just make F1 even more like Champ Car

Why would Ferrari want to throw away a competetive advantage they have in Fiorano to please the other teams?

For example, most big teams now have full scale wind tunnels that they run 24/7 and its very expensive to run them all the time. Now in order to save costs, if someone proposes a ban on full scale wind tunnels, naturally the teams that have the full scale winds tunnels would say no. I am sure McLaren and Renault would dream about having a private test track. Fiorano has always been a special place for Ferrari to test their Race and Road cars. Why give that away?

This Ferrari bashing is getting ridiculous on this forums.

The other teams never seem to have a problem with rule changes if they are all end up in the same boat (whole point of the breakaway championship), ask Ferrari about giving up an advantage to be on level terms with the other teams and they will undoubtidly fight it like complete pussys. I can't see it costing Ferrari anything to not run their F1 car's on their track so it's nothing like a wind tunnel, as you said they use it for their road car's.

No, no and more no's! 6 days of testing between october and december? thats ****ing ridiculous! it takes half a day for a start at each test to set the car up so thats only 5 days testing really. ****ing ridiculous idea.

15 days is bonkers too pre-season so all together taking away setting the car up at each track each test thats a grand total of 17 and a half days to get the new car uptogether realistically speaking.

Thats not enough, and we need something to talk about during the off season! This pushes the teams to rush out their new 07 cars to get as much track time on them as possible and if you have issues you wont have much time to rectify them or test out new parts!

Good lord Ben I agree with you :D

The other teams never seem to have a problem with rule changes if they are all end up in the same boat (whole point of the breakaway championship), ask Ferrari about giving up an advantage to be on level terms with the other teams and they will undoubtidly fight it like complete pussys. I can't see it costing Ferrari anything to not run their F1 car's on their track so it's nothing like a wind tunnel, as you said they use it for their road car's.

its a test track, they could test their soap box cars if they wanted to. The advantage to ferrari is that it is a permanent setup for testing cars right by the F1 factory. If anything it should cost less money to test at fiorano than travel to the test tracks. what sense does it make for them to travel far away for every test when they can build at their factory and test at the factory (fiorano). The team would love as they can stay with their families and not travel as much.

For once and for all why can't the other teams stop crying and build a car that can challenge Ferrari? Lets others test on the Moon if they need to....

Why do people even champion cutting tests. 95% of the advancement on a car is made durning tests, cutting test will just make F1 even more like Champ Car

Testing does squat for the fans. I am in favour of a complete ban on testing away from the GP. As a substitute, I would allow unlimited testing on the Thursday and Friday of each GP weekend. The more access for the fans; the better.

DITTO Baja

BUT in all honesty can ANYONE tell me why it is that this year because Ferrari , or FIARRIA, didn't like the testing rules laid down and just plainly IGNORED them, why did not the FIA do something about it ?\

Answer they are plainly GUTTLESS to hurt the FIARRIA squad.

SEEMS to me it is time that RULES were made NOT to be Broken, and if they are, then stiff penalities apply no matter WHAT team broke them. (An old saying springs to mind here: It is not ILLEGAL until your CAUGHT)

Here in Oz a mid field running team, in V8 Supercars, BROKE the testing rule on an airfield and it cost em HEAPS of $'s, yeah I know that was not F1, thank christ for that. If all the other formulae broke the set down rules like some F1 teams do then there would be no Motor Racing, just a heap of hell bent teams out to CHEAT no matter what, depending on their individual finances.

Time to WAKE UP F1 and make rules apply to ALL THE TEAMS, regardless of how well infiltrated into the management they are.

[quote name='rodders47' post='140885' date='Sep 18 2006, 05:09 PM']Here in Oz a mid field running team, in V8 Supercars, BROKE the testing rule on an airfield and it cost em HEAPS of $'s, yeah I know that was not F1, thank christ for that.[/quote]

F1 should be about the fans. I know many people will disagree with me (they always do) but i think F1 could learn a thing or two about entertaining fans from the V8 Supercars in Australia. Each team tests once in a blue moon but the racing in it is amazing. In a feild of 32 cars nearly 20 drivers are all capable of winning races. There is plenty of overtaking and close racing. There is a reason why V8 Supercars is one of the most popular sports in Australia and that is because the fans come first and that is something formula 1 organisers havent realised yet which i think is sad.

As I said before F1 is to calculated now, limited or no testing would make the teams guess more and making them guess more leaves greater tolerances so more interetesting racing...Ferrari dosent seem to like the idea of it being like that, the other teams might not have the racing history of Ferrari but they understand the word "sport" more.

Thats not enough, and we need something to talk about during the off season! This pushes the teams to rush out their new 07 cars to get as much track time on them as possible and if you have issues you wont have much time to rectify them or test out new parts!

Good! Failures always make races more interesting!

Good! Failures always make races more interesting!

How? The last time I checked, atleast with myself, I rather have to drivers battled it out on the track than have the races decided by Mechanical Failures. Though I am a Ferrari Fan I was disappointed when Alonso's Engine Blew at Monza. Same with Last year. If not for the unreliable Mclarens, we would have had a real championhship between Kimi and Alonso.

The things people cook up here. It's Abusrd.

I am all for setting reasonable limits on testing, but testing is what prepares the cars for grand prix. Just as the drivers go through rigourous physical training to have peak fitness, the cars need to be tested and tuned for peak performance at the GPs. This is sport of MAN and MACHINE.

I am sure people wouldn't bitch as much if it weren't for Ferrari doing all the extra testing. It's pretty absurd. I am sure you would be the kinds of fans who would want place limits on the amount of physical training drivers are allowed to do, Let all the drivers have the same physical fitness, limit them to only one hour running session every week and and they are not allowed to excerise or training during the season. That way the most committed drivers that are the fittest won't get an unfair advantage over the fat lazy drivers.!

I want to see good racing on the track, what the teams do to ensure that is upto them!

What the **** is your problem? F1 is supposed to be the pinnacle of motorsport, the technology is supposed to be the best and I dont want to see a limit in testing. I love F1 as it is thank you very much!

What the **** is your problem? F1 is supposed to be the pinnacle of motorsport, the technology is supposed to be the best and I dont want to see a limit in testing. I love F1 as it is thank you very much!

Who says it wouldn't be the pinnacle with a ban on testing?

And how the **** is failing cars racing? i woul dmuch rather see a race with very few failures but close racing. Car failures are not what f1 is about!

And how the **** is failing cars racing? i woul dmuch rather see a race with very few failures but close racing. Car failures are not what f1 is about!

To provide a recent example, Alonso's failure in Italy brought the two championship protagonists closer together on points. The wider rule is that unreliability introduces an element of unpredictability into the sport that is needed to maintain interest in some otherwise, very processional races.

Who said it would be great without testing.

Who said it would be great without testing.

I did and I maintain my position that a ban on testing, substituted only by unlimited testing on the Thursday and Friday preceeding each GP weekend, is the correct solution to bring down testing costs.

But why do costs have to be cut a la teting. The tyres are already going to be cheaper cos they arnt gonna be so complex! and at the end of the day the only small teams now are super aguri, spyker and williams! I could live without all 3!