Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ctrl300

2007 Calendar

Teams agree on 18 races for 2007

Monday, September 18th 2006, 16:29 GMT

Imola could still appear on the 2007 Formula One World Championship calendar, after the governing body and the teams agreed today to expand next year's calendar to 18 rounds.

The FIA released a 17-race calendar last month, which did not include the San Marino Grand Prix.

However, the calendar featured a four-week gap between the Bahrain Grand Prix, on April 15, and the Spanish Grand Prix, on May 13. Traditionally, the Imola round would be slotted in that gap, on April 29.

F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone has demanded a revamp of the track as a condition to keep the race next season, and the Italian government has already guaranteed its backing for the modifications.

Work on the circuit is set to begin in October and finish around March, in time for the race.

The inclusion of Imola is subject to the World Motor Sport Council approval, when the body convenes in the winter to approve the final 2007 calendar.

www.autosport.com

I guess that Turkey managed to retain their GP, while Suzuka lost out to Imola, which I think is a damned shame. Anyway, 18 races is better than 17 and besides I don't mind Imola as many here do.

The calendar makes for at leat one 4 week break. I find that ludacris especially if they are going to restrict testing as that would leave room for at least a 20 race calendar IMHO. Are the teams and organisers getting lazy?

shiver me timbers! this be excellent word. I be drinkin' rum to celebrate

Aye, matey! Yer timbers 'ave bin a-shiverin' since you 'ad that ol' doxie in Gibraltar! A good spot 'o th' rum on yer timber will do yer fine. An' if'n yer can't spare no rum fer yer shiverin' timber, then getcher a good ol' Irish girlie! If'n she can't getcher timber t' stop shiverin' then ol' McCree kin cut 'er off and run 'er up the mizzen!!

Arrrrrr

Suzuka lost out to Fuji (spelling?), not to Imola as far as i know. Hopefully they get it sorted. Even if passing is impossible still can see who wins car+strategy award at least :P

Im glad for the extra GP, but upset its Imola...

Nowadays you will find more Excitement out of watching water evapourate out a glass of water over the San Marino grand prix.

Nowadays you will find more exiting out of watching water evapourate out a glass of water over the San Marino grand prix.

Agreed.

Nowadays you will find more exiting out of watching water evapourate out a glass of water over the San Marino grand prix.

I don't know, Schumi and Alonso had very good battles in 2005 and 2006 at imola, plus Jenson always goes well there!!

I don't know, Schumi and Alonso had very good battles in 2005 and 2006 at imola, plus Jenson always goes well there!!

But both races had the wrong result. In 2005 Scumacher was several seconds a lap faster than Alonso and in 2006 Alonso was alot quicker than Schumacher. In both these cases the faster driver was unable to win the race due to the lack of overtaking at Imola.

The calendar makes for at leat one 4 week break. I find that ludacris especially if they are going to restrict testing as that would leave room for at least a 20 race calendar IMHO. Are the teams and organisers getting lazy?

????? How am I living during this 4 weeks break???? I can barely live during the 3 weeks one!

In 1999 they had a 5-week break around the start of the season. Needless to say it was a painful time for me.

Fair point about lack of overtaking ykick but it was some good racing

Suzuka lost out to Fuji (spelling?), not to Imola as far as i know. Hopefully they get it sorted. Even if passing is impossible still can see who wins car+strategy award at least :P

There where discussions over Suzuka becoming the Pacific GP and also Honda pushing for a deal with Toyota where the Japanese GP would switch between Fuji and Suzuka every second year. Sadly it all fell through.

Reason enough to scrap it :P

????? How am I living during this 4 weeks break???? I can barely live during the 3 weeks one!

Exactly, I am already struggling with this one :(

It is great that Imola will be back with modifications, the annual pilgrimages to Monza and Imola must never never be threatened (unless we find a way of bringing back the Mille Miglia :P ).

Huge pity about Suzuka, I don't see what the problem is, when Suzuka is willing to host it, just club it with Fuji and they won't have far to travel. If Super Nintendo manage to get enough cash to 'potter around until breakdown' for another season, they could sell out both the races.