Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Autumnpuma

Hamilton Finally In F1

Williams backs Hamilton for McLaren drive

Wednesday, October 4th 2006, 10:35 GMT

Frank Williams says he would not think twice about bringing young Briton Lewis Hamilton into Formula One next season if he were McLaren's Ron Dennis.

"I wouldn't be so presumptuous as to tell Ron Dennis... how to do his job," the team boss wrote in the Daily Telegraph newspaper on Wednesday.

"All I can say regarding the possible appointment of Hamilton at McLaren is that I have not had one regret about putting Nico (Rosberg) in our car this year straight from GP2. Not a bit.

"If I were Ron, I would have no hesitation in putting him in the car. He looked outstanding this year, a super talent," added Williams of the 21-year-old winner of this year's GP2 feeder series.

"There is another benefit too, that is often overlooked. These young drivers bring the costs down. They will be ratcheted up in the years ahead, of course, But it gives us a bit more flexibility."

McLaren have signed world champion Fernando Alonso from Renault for 2007 but have yet to name their second driver, with Finland's Kimi Raikkonen leaving for Ferrari and Juan Pablo Montoya already departed.

Hamilton would be a popular choice, with 35-year-old Spaniard Pedro de la Rosa seen as his main rival and Briton Gary Paffett as another.

Williams also recalled how he had tried and failed to sign Michael Schumacher for his team in 1995, when the German had won his second title for Benetton and was about to join the then-struggling Ferrari.

"Now that he is retiring I have to accept I'll never have Michael in my team," he said. "I'd have loved that. We all would. I did try once.

"We had a couple of conversations with his agent, Willi Weber, at the end of 1995 with a view to having him in the car for 1997.

"The desire was serious but we had never paid a driver the kind of sums they were asking. It's nice to dream. Michael is an absolutely fantastic driver, up there with the best."

Williams won the 1996 and 1997 drivers' and constructors' championships with Briton Damon Hill and Canadian Jacques Villeneuve respectively.

They have not won a title since and this year promises to be the team's worst in nearly 30 years.

"We have looked silly at times," Williams added.

"That's bad. It is more to do with a lack of reliability than performance. The car started off okay but we got left behind in development."

www.reuters.com

People putting him (Hamilton) down really exposes the fact that they know absolutely nothing about racing and would do everyone a favour by start following something simpler; lets say a local soapbox-car championship.

There's one eternal truth: If you don't like a driver you will always find reasons to dislike him. Hamilton is good, despite whatever is said about him or what opinions are of him. Truth remains constant, only perceptions change. ;)

All i am trying to say that testing does not mean much and it is too early in the game to compare hamilton with any one else

All i am trying to say that testing does not mean much and it is too early in the game to compare hamilton with any one else

You are correct, but you don't understand that I've been without any serious driver bias since Mika left. I need to fill the void and Hamilton is it! (no obscene comments about Hamilton filling my void, please...)

I'm getting a head-start on my irrational bias;)

yes you cant compare through testing but you watch GP2 and see some of hamiltons performances, you will also become a believer. Piquet was in his 2nd year of GP2 but was no match for Lewis

yes and its pathetic really considering he's not even raced in F1 yet, and people saying they actually want a reason to hate him

yes and its pathetic really considering he's not even raced in F1 yet, and people saying they actually want a reason to hate him

Well he shouldn't have sold his soul to the dark side then -_-:P

Well he shouldn't have sold his soul to the dark side then -_-:P

If I was an up-and-coming racer and Ron Dennis wanted to support me I'd thank the heavens, only a fool would turn down such an offer

yes you cant compare through testing but you watch GP2 and see some of hamiltons performances, you will also become a believer. Piquet was in his 2nd year of GP2 but was no match for Lewis

By this first and second comparison you would say from last yars result alonso i better than kimi. I have not seen a GP2 race but were they in the same cars with same mechinery???

By this first and second comparison you would say from last yars result alonso i better than kimi. I have not seen a GP2 race but were they in the same cars with same mechinery???

Yeah, GP2 is a spec-series. Car set-ups differ, but they all have the same car. Sorta makes a drive from the back of the grid something special considering you'd have to be quite a bit faster than everybody...

amilton in the frame for Brazil

Saturday, 07, October, 2006, 13:13

McLaren team principal Ron Dennis has admitted that he is giving serious consideration to running GP2 Series champion Lewis Hamilton at the Formula 1 season finale in Brazil.

Dennis revealed in Suzuka that no decision had been taken over who will drive the second McLaren alongside Kimi Raikkonen, occupied since the French Grand Prix by Pedro de la Rosa

But while British rookie Hamilton, a McLaren prodigy for several years, may be in the frame, Dennis warned he is by no means a certainty.

"If Lewis got the opportunity to race in Brazil and race in Australia then I guarantee you he will go better in Australia because of the time to come to grips with all that

Much as I'd like to see Hammy in a McLaren this season, it wouldn't be wise. Throwing a rookie into a race with limited testing shouldn't be done. If Ron does this, Hammy will do ok, but not as good as he'd do in Oz after an intense winter with Alonso's helping hand.

Rookies are doing perfectly finethis year, if he is any good, he should too. I think the only reason Mclaren are not throwing him in is they have already decided to give him the race drive next year, so they want to take things at the pace they want to, since he will be driving nexct year. Otherwise there doesn't seem to be any rational explanation for not testing him out this year.

Rookies are doing perfectly finethis year, if he is any good, he should too. I think the only reason Mclaren are not throwing him in is they have already decided to give him the race drive next year, so they want to take things at the pace they want to, since he will be driving nexct year. Otherwise there doesn't seem to be any rational explanation for not testing him out this year.

but why not test him out in a race this year like in japan or brazil?. they have nothing to lose but about nxt year they may lose pedro and some other rookie would have to take over.

In my opinion, he would have a greater chance of blowing it and then some sponsors would push for him not getting the seat in '07.

In the end, if Hammy gets the seat for Brazil and can't at least do decent, my faith in him has been misplaced....

In my opinion, he would have a greater chance of blowing it and then some sponsors would push for him not getting the seat in '07.

In the end, if Hammy gets the seat for Brazil and can't at least do decent, my faith in him has been misplaced....

Unlikely he will. What Ron Dennis says is interesting

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ron Dennis has cast doubt on any chances of Lewis Hamilton racing for McLaren at next weekend's Brazilian Grand Prix after telling reporters that he won't the Brit into the "deep end."

Hamilton began his second test programme with McLaren at Jerez on Tuesday, sparking rumours that he may just replace Pedro de la Rosa for the season-ending Brazilian Grand Prix, thereby making his F1 debut with an eye to racing full-time in 2007.

However, Dennis is reluctant to put Hamilton in a race-seat that soon as he feels one bad performance could ruin the 2006 GP2 Champion's F1 career.

"There is always going to be expectation, but this is a hero-to-zero sport. Why put everything at risk?" Dennis told The Times.

"The guy's had a brilliant career so far and his expertise, commitment and attitude doesn't just relate to driving a grand prix car. He is a complete, rounded individual who has got all sorts of pressures that are going to come to bear on him.

"I'd much rather see him as equipped as he could be if he is given the chance of racing a McLaren in the future and I can't see now that throwing him in the deep end is a particularly smart thing to do."

I agree with Ron. Putting Lewis in a race-seat now is completely pointless. Give him a whole winter of testing and he will be ready for melbourne.

As Mike and I have predicted, here's to Hamilton, it's been confirmed!!!!!!!!

British starlet Lewis Hamilton will race for McLaren next year alongside world champion Fernando Alonso. The 21-year-old Briton, the current GP2 champion, becomes the first black F1 driver and described the news as "a dream come true".

Hamilton has been nurtured by McLaren boss Ron Dennis since the age of 13 and has driven impressively in testing.

He has been preferred to the Spanish veteran Pedro de la Rosa, who will return to his test driver's role.

"To be racing in Formula One with McLaren has been the ultimate goal for me since I was very young and this opportunity us a fantastic way to end what has been the best year for me," said Hamilton.

"I have grown up with McLaren and Mercedes and wouldn't be where I am today without their continued support and guidance.

"I'm aware that this will be a challenge and I know that there will be a lot of attention on me.

"However the team has told me just to relax, do the best I can and enjoy the opportunity. I will work hard to get good results."

As team-mate to the reigning world champion, Hamilton may have to play second fiddle to Alonso in 2007.

But Dennis said it was time to give Hamilton a chance to settle into a full racing role.

"Since 1998 Lewis has formed an important part of our long-term strategy and we are pleased that we are able to help him take another step and achieve his dream of becoming a Formula One racing driver," said Dennis.

"Pedro has done an outstanding job for us this season but we felt it was the right time to provide Lewis with this opportunity.

"It's obviously going to be the biggest challenge of Lewis's career so far but it's one that we are sure he will be able to meet.

"He is coming into the paddock for the first time as a Formula One racing driver and will have to familiarise himself with the pressures of a Grand Prix weekend.

"However, the confidence we have in Lewis's abilities and talent is clear from our decision to give him the chance."

HOOORAAYYY!!!!!!!! May he kick Alonso's butt 3-5 times next year!!!!!

As Mike and I have predicted, here's to Hamilton, it's been confirmed!!!!!!!!

British starlet Lewis Hamilton will race for McLaren next year alongside world champion Fernando Alonso. The 21-year-old Briton, the current GP2 champion, becomes the first black F1 driver and described the news as "a dream come true".

HOOORAAYYY!!!!!!!! May he kick Alonso's butt 3-5 times next year!!!!!

Wrong word - starlet is femine gender.

But well done Hamilton and good luck, good for you puma *& Brad

edit: This makes next season a bit more interesting after MS leaves, would love to watch Alonso get his butt kicked by Hamilton, will be supporting him big time

I think Mike will be insufferable from now on. Good luck to Lewis though. I hope he can weather the British media.

I think Mike will be insufferable from now on. Good luck to Lewis though. I hope he can weather the British media.

Well, we've put up with NK supporters including myself, guess we can have a go at this..