Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Autumnpuma

Hamilton Finally In F1

What a great opportunity. I'm almost dissapointed that it took me until now to realize there had been an announcement! 4 British drivers in Formula One next season is a great way to go into what is essentially a new era without Schumacher. It seems different to think Hamilton is definately going to drive for McLaren than when we presumed he was going to. I can safely say i hope he has an incredible debut season, for it would satisfy me to no end to see Alonso's socks knocked off by a younger driver!

Hamilton confirmed as Alonso's teammate

By Jonathan Noble Friday, November 24th 2006, 10:09 GMT

Lewis Hamilton and Ron DennisLewis Hamilton has been confirmed as Fernando Alonso's teammate at McLaren next season.

The team made the announcement on Friday morning, ending months of speculation about whether the GP2 champion would be handed his Formula One chance next season.

"It's a dream come true," said Hamilton. "To be racing in Formula One with McLaren has been the ultimate goal for me since I was very young and this opportunity is a fantastic way to end what has been the best year for me.

"I have grown up with McLaren and Mercedes and wouldn't be where I am today without their continued support and guidance. However I'm aware that this will be a challenge and I know that there will be a lot of attention on me.

"However the team has told me just to relax, do the best I can and enjoy the opportunity. I will work hard to get good results."

McLaren boss Ron Dennis, who has looked after Hamilton's career for several years, has been coy about his future driver plans ever since it became clear that Kimi Raikkonen would be leaving.

And although there was intense pressure from the media, particularly the British, for Dennis to hand Hamilton his chance, Dennis always said that he would make the decision in his own time.

The concern was that Hamilton would be faced with too-high expectations making his debut alongside double world champion Alonso.

Dennis has said, however, that he is confident Hamilton will deliver all that is required of him.

"It's obviously going to be the biggest challenge of Lewis's career so far but it's one that we are sure he will be able to meet," explained Dennis. "He is coming into the paddock for the first time as a Formula One racing driver and will have to familiarise himself with the pressures of a Grand Prix weekend.

"However the confidence we have in Lewis's abilities and talent is clear from our decision to give him the chance."

Mercedes-Benz motorsport boss Norbert Haug added: "Lewis is a gifted driver who proved his talent with two consecutive title wins - 2005 in the Formula Three Euroseries in a Dallara Mercedes and this year in the GP2 Series.

"McLaren and Mercedes-Benz have supported Lewis already for nine years. He was half as tall as he is today when he started in karting. It's clear that Lewis has less experience in comparison to the other 21 Formula One drivers in Grand Prix cars.

"However extensive tests during the coming months will prepare him for his first season - I am very glad that a guy like him gets his deserved chance."

www.autosport.com

Wooha! Its for real!!!!! Happy days!!!

No more lip frok the haters, the golden child is in for a much deserved seat! Even more important he is the first rookie (apart from the great Alain Prost) to get a McLaren seat! I'm going to go bananas tonight! Hopefully he can emulate the Profesor and become one, if not the greatest of aal time!

Cheers all Hamilton and McLaren supporters!!!!!!!!!

I'm happy that Hamilton got a drive for 2007. Happy that he will make Alonso eat turd.

Mate, the only turd is you.

Now how goes the saying? "Every party needs a pooper, thats why I invited an Indian".

Look forward to measuring his worth against arguably the best driver on the grid next year.

He will be getting the roughest lesson one can get in F1, but I still believe he will come out a bigger, stronger and better man come 2008. If McLaren can produce a proper car of the mp4/23 it will be hell to pay for the rest of the grid. Mark my words.

He will be getting the roughest lesson one can get in F1, but I still believe he will come out a bigger, stronger and better man come 2008. If McLaren can produce a proper car of the mp4/23 it will be hell to pay for the rest of the grid. Mark my words.

I have no feelings either way yet. But if they do produce a decent car it'll give us a fair measure of where he's likely to end up.

I have no feelings either way yet. But if they do produce a decent car it'll give us a fair measure of where he's likely to end up.

Quite.

I have been rooting for Lewis since he steppd out of the shadows of the protective shield a McLaren sponsorship provides, and now that he will be driving I am one happy camper. I suspect you know his story and his struggle, which was paramount. Now if McLaren can get their act together he and Fernando will become the Senna and Prost of the 21st century :thbup:

This makes next season a bit more interesting after MS leaves, would love to watch Alonso get his butt kicked by Hamilton, will be supporting him big time

Hahaha....I would love to see that!...

GO HAMILTON!

:D

. Now if McLaren can get their act together he and Fernando will become the Senna and Prost of the 21st century :thbup:
:rolleyes2:

good morning. stop dreaming

My god I'm a prophet, if I was religious I'd worship myself :D

As the first duly appointed Prophet to the boy-god Hamilton, you have been granted co-Prophet status in the church of Hamilton.

Amen.

Quite.

I have been rooting for Lewis since he steppd out of the shadows of the protective shield a McLaren sponsorship provides, and now that he will be driving I am one happy camper. I suspect you know his story and his struggle, which was paramount. Now if McLaren can get their act together he and Fernando will become the Senna and Prost of the 21st century :thbup:

With Mika possibly returning as a semi-testing role, and Pedro, Gary and Alonso's superior testing skills, a fantastic new boy-god in the second seat, and Mercedes proper handling the engines, Macca will be a factor next year, I think. Hell Ulrik, McLaren's future looks pretty bright at the moment!

Tonight belongs to Lewis and his family. He has worked hard for this and he deserves it. Mike, i'm pleased that your boy has come good, i raise a large cold glass of Belgium's finest to you both.

Roll on March......

McLaren's future looks pretty bright at the moment!

At least the livery...

As the first duly appointed Prophet to the boy-god Hamilton, you have been granted co-Prophet status in the church of Hamilton.

Amen.

With Mika possibly returning as a semi-testing role, and Pedro, Gary and Alonso's superior testing skills, a fantastic new boy-god in the second seat, and Mercedes proper handling the engines, Macca will be a factor next year, I think. Hell Ulrik, McLaren's future looks pretty bright at the moment!

Its the gospel my friend, the gospel of Hamilton. The way of the Carrabiean, smooth and successfull :thbup:

At least the livery...

You just yawn all along to the Reanult downfall mate. Keep on crawling, we have your boy and we have the golden child to top it off. Don't come begging when times get rough.

At least the livery...

Renault have the wonderful, great, fantastic Fisico to lead them to ultimate glory! All shall fall before the Mighty Roman!..........................................

NOT!

Notice how all of the gods and their statues are gone or broken :eusa_think: Hope Hammy is not to fragile....

Well done Ron!

All I can say now is PLEASE GIVE HIM TIME. Don't expect him to be in front of Alonso next year and I hope people will not let him down just for the fact he'll e a little slower than him. It would be logical and absolutely NORMAL should he be slower than FA, given that he is a rookie and the spaniard a double world champ.

Having said this I'm fully convinced that F.1 has gained a great star for the future!

Go Lewis Go! :clap3:

I heard the same thing about Liuzzi this time 2 years ago all over the press

Quite.

No because neither of them are a nutcase like Senna was (god rest his soul) - but I can imagine Alonso will be a right little whingy boy if Hamilton beats him in a race

An American supporting a Brit - this makes me truly happy! I may cry

An American supporting a Brit - this makes me truly happy! I may cry

For the record, I never support a driver based on nationality, only by talent. Hamilton's talent transcends nationality.

For the record, I never support a driver based on nationality, only by talent. Hamilton's talent transcends nationality.

Why would anyone in their right mind support a driver purely on nationality? What is that saying about you and your ability to be open minded?

It is obviously good sense though Mike that you support a Brit'. :P

Indeed. That makes two; I liked Mansell also. Hmm....make that three as Brundle was great too. Wilson, yes, perhaps I should expand that to four. Clark, well I've never seen him race live, of course, but who isn't a fan...well, he's a scot, but it's the same thing, isn't it? Perhaps I have a bit of a tradition in supporting Brits.... :D

Indeed. That makes two; I liked Mansell also. Hmm....make that three as Brundle was great too. Wilson, yes, perhaps I should expand that to four. Clark, well I've never seen him race live, of course, but who isn't a fan...well, he's a scot, but it's the same thing, isn't it? Perhaps I have a bit of a tradition in supporting Brits.... :D

I find the drivers that you support surprising, Mike. Nothing wrong with them at all, just surprises me. :D