Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ctrl300

An Inconvenient Truth

Ok, just came back from seeing it and although it did not present any new facts to me it sure will open a few eyes on the less informed. I would strongly recommend everyone to go see it (especially the North-Americans, Australians, and the Poms). You can always go 'yeah, yeah, whatever' after seeing it, but in that case I nominate you for forced sterilisation.

Some problems/solutions:

-The US contribute to a whopping 31% of greenhouse gasses while they only make up 5% of the world population.

-Third world countries solemnly contribute to population increases and shoud hence either starve to death or agree to sterilisation.

-Oil company lobbyists should be outlawed.

-All sustainable innovation and product development should be given tax benefits and grants.

-Fighting terrorists should take a backseat to climate changes. Sorry, but I could care less if a 9/11 happened everyday as long as something constructive was done towards reducing US emissions. If nothing happens they could end up killing us all.

-George W. Bush an all his cronies should get sent to Pakistan as sex-slaves.

EDIT: Very hard handed and crude, but I am sincere.

I didn't know all of that, but I don't think I'd like to see a 9/11 everyday.... :huh:

Neither would I, its just the fact that the US contribution is almost sinlgehandedly killing the planet...As I said, very hard haned, but I was just making a point about getting our priorities straight. Terrorism must take a backseat to pollution. Unless action is taken there will be no planet left for our children be them fanatical or not...

Neither would I, its just the fact that the US contribution is almost sinlgehandedly killing the planet...As I said, very hard haned, but I was just making a point about getting our priorities straight. Terrorism must take a backseat to pollution. Unless action is taken there will be no planet left for our children be them fanatical or not...

I really enjoy global warming, at least so far. We had a very mild winter last season, a mild summer and are expecting more of the same this coming winter...

I feel like going for a drive and enjoying this weather ;)

Sooooooo, ya got sucked in by brother Al :rolleyes::yawn:

Interesting to note that thirty years back all the scientists were screaming that we were entering a period of global cooling...now it's global warming. When you've been around scientists and academics enough, you lose the mystique of infallibility they carry around with them and you start to realize that they can be wrong, sometimes more often than they can be right. It comes down to the interpretation of evidence and statistical data.

Now, many years ago when I was dutifully studying to become an archaeologist, I went on many trips to the California and Arizona deserts. Many marine fossils can be found there and the accepted wisdom is that the whole region was once underwater at a time when the earth's average temperatures were a two (or so) degrees higher than now. I don't remember any discussion about mankind's greenhous gas emissions contributing to that.

Global warming exists, just as global cooling exists. It's a natural cycle that we cannot stop nor contribute to.

that was the ironic part in the kyoto agreement when us decided not to sign it.

The Kyoto agreement was grossly unfair to the Americans, I can't blame them for not signing it... How can they be expected to limit their emmissions when the Chinese and Indians, both huge emmitters of greenhouse gases, are not required to do so? It doesn't make any sense and I'm glad that the new government in my country is moving away from it.

The issues invlolved in the Kyoto Protocols/treaty are far more complex than you would believe, and far more political that just blaming America.

In this one instance, I support the Wikipedia entry for the Kyoto Protocols. To the best of my knowledge that entry is accurate. Please read it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyoto_Protocol

Ctrl300, we have a massive interstate system for travel and we have a massive economy dependent on getting things to other places quickly using that system.

If this was the Al Gore film, I bet he used planes to move himself all over the place to promote his film. Hypocrisy.

Bush is a ****ing imbacile, we all know this, the USA are hypocrits and all they care about is their dominant economy, cant wait to see how they react to china becoming the richest country in a decade or so! HA!

Does anyone know the percentage of greenhouse gasses us brits produce?

Bush is a ****ing imbacile, we all know this, the USA are hypocrits and all they care about is their dominant economy, cant wait to see how they react to china becoming the richest country in a decade or so! HA!

Does anyone know the percentage of greenhouse gasses us brits produce?

If Bush is an imbecile (you spelled it wrong, thus proving my next point), how did he win two presidential elections?

Big generalization about being hypocrits. Then again, most of us originally came from Britain, so...

China becoming richer than the US in 10 years? Not gonna happen. The ticket to the F1 race needs months of saving to afford.

The Kyoto agreement was grossly unfair to the Americans, I can't blame them for not signing it... How can they be expected to limit their emmissions when the Chinese and Indians, both huge emmitters of greenhouse gases, are not required to do so? It doesn't make any sense and I'm glad that the new government in my country is moving away from it.

You speak out of your arse mate.

East Asia, including the Indian Sub-Continent and Chine emitt 22.5% of world greenhouse gasses. At the same they make out almost half the worlds population.

The US, making out 5% of the world population contribute 31%.

Furthermore, India and China got certain excemptions in the Kyoto since they are emerging economies and can be said to keeping the US economy afloat. Where is the unjustsice?

I must say, when you know nothing of a subject why on earth do you want to make a post?

If Bush is an imbecile (you spelled it wrong, thus proving my next point), how did he win two presidential elections?

Big generalization about being hypocrits. Then again, most of us originally came from Britain, so...

China becoming richer than the US in 10 years? Not gonna happen. The ticket to the F1 race needs months of saving to afford.

Mate its 3.30am im not bothered by spelling right.

I dont live in america so i cant comment why he won two general elections, but hes so incredibly thick and clearly he does what hes told to do by his advisors, he doesnt write his own speaches, heck does he eevn understand the subject hes discussing?

The chinese government are making huge amounts of money and chinas economy has now eclipsed ours and Germanys too, its just the money never makes it too the people in china. But its embarressing to see an intelligent lad with a lack of world economics understanding!

Mate its 3.30am im not bothered by spelling right.

Why are you up that late (or early in this case)?

I dont live in america so i cant comment why he won two general elections, but hes so incredibly thick and clearly he does what hes told to do by his advisors, he doesnt write his own speaches, heck does he eevn understand the subject hes discussing?

He listens to the advice of his advisors, who wouldn't? He's got better things to do than write speeches, like being the president of a country.

The chinese government are making huge amounts of money and chinas economy has now eclipsed ours and Germanys too, its just the money never makes it too the people in china. But its embarressing to see an intelligent lad with a lack of world economics understanding!

The GOVERNMENT is making the money. That is the key. The country will only be rich once Free Enterprise is the economic system instead of communism.

The fact is though chinas economy will soon eclipse yours so HAH

and the reason i cant sleep is cos of the dogs barking in the farm next door :(

The fact is though chinas economy will soon eclipse yours so HAH

and the reason i cant sleep is cos of the dogs barking in the farm next door :(

Ben, go get yourself a drink and go outside and sit there for a while, you'll feel better. :D

Because america seems to believe the crap that he spouts. We're talking about the same country (well, california) who elected the Terminator for their governor. I often watch wwe and I'm surprised at how the american fans really seem to be proud of their soldiers fighting for the 'protection and freedom of america' (wwe loves to go on about it and shove it down the throats of other countries who really dont give a crap), why you people think your soldiers are fighting for america's protection i really dont know. And they're all so patriotic, but I cant think of anything that they can be proud of, except generating hatred towards themselves from the rest of the world???

Or maybe its because we knew that if we elected the other guy, He'd pull out (lacking manliness) of Iraq and let the terrorists take over and put up another Saddam situation.

Many Americans don't care what the rest of the world thinks. I am one of those many.

Maybe the other guy would be right in doing that. A country like Iraq needs a dictator to keep the country in order. Theree are just as many tirtures etc going now there anyway and murders etc. its not been made any better infact many say its worse! You americans have really ****ed that area of the world up, not only did you train bin laden and many other terrorists and supply the taliban with weapons etc a few years ago, you have only your selves to blame. Its embarressing how ****ing dukb your country is. Infact America is a laughing stock!

Many Americans don't care what the rest of the world thinks. I am one of those many.

And you wonder why the world (in general) hates america. Self-absorbed, trigger-happy and a foreign policy that is always over-aggressive no matter who the president is. Constantly saying 'land of the free' only makes USA look even more stupid, when the fact is the whole of Europe is just as free as any american, and yet I feel a hell of a lot more free walking around England than I would walking around an american city at night

I think we're straying from the point a little. Personally, I agree (a bit) with Mike. How many times recently have you heard a weather report along the lines of :" today has seen the hottest temperatures since 1750 (or some other long ago date)". So that means that this temperature has occurred before. Naturally. Which means that it's rare but not unprecedented. While I'm no fan of pumping tonnes of CO2 into the atmosphere, or cutting down rainforests to make Sh#tty coffee tables, neither am I yet convinced that climate change is man made. Influenced by man, perhaps, but not man made. I don't know how many of our world wide friends have heard of Dr David Bellamy but he was a highly respected naturalist and environmental campaigner who was pilloried and ridiculed for having the temerity to question the peddlars of the global warming theory. And even worse, he suggested that it was a cyclical event that had happened before. Before humans existed. Pretty much killed his career. What percentage of the CO2 in the atmosphere is produced by the burning of fossil fuels? About 14%. What proportion of the atmosphere is CO2? About 0.03% What is the gas most responsible for greenhouse effect? Water vapour.

The problem I have is that there is no debate. We are simply told "this is how it is".

Hell a vocanic euruption(Krakatoa) had a more profound effect on out climate than anything man has done!!!

Hell a vocanic euruption(Krakatoa) had a more profound effect on out climate than anything man has done!!!

Well? All you smart a$$ punks, don't know how to respond to a bit of fact not fiction eh......learn about

science and history before you jump on the bandwagon.............

Well? All you smart a$$ punks, don't know how to respond to a bit of fact not fiction eh......learn about

science and history before you jump on the bandwagon.............

To be honest I don't know much about global warming, but being a fair-skinned english boy I'd be happier if temperatures do not soar too high!!!