Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ykickamoocow

Save My Sport - To Everyone Living In Australia

Anyone living in Australia probably knows about the new Federal government proposal which could see many sports including formula 1, AFL, NRL, Cricket, V8 Supercars, Tennis etc go to a Pay TV channel which i think would be a terrible thing to happen. This is a real possiblity as it has happened in other countries like New Zealand where they can only watch Rugby Union if they have Pay TV and England which has the same problem with Premier League. Anyone living in Australia can you please sign this petition which channel's 9 and 10 have set up to stop our favourite sports disappearing off free to air channels.

http://www.savemysport.com.au/

Done :angry: I cna't get cable in a goddamned hostel :angry:

But havne't 10 already extended their F1 contract? If it's beyond 2 years from now, I don't care :P By then I'll be rich and/or gone.

Done :angry: I cna't get cable in a goddamned hostel :angry:

But havne't 10 already extended their F1 contract? If it's beyond 2 years from now, I don't care :P By then I'll be rich and/or gone.

Thankyou for signing. This is very important to me as sport is my religion and i would hate to see popular sports like formula 1, AFL and Cricket go to Pay TV where only 1/4 of the population can watch it.

Im pretty sure the NRL and AFL just signed new contracts that are for a few years each aswell, on Free to air....

I fully support your cause.

It'll have a negative affect like It does for Cricket, rugby (and more) here In the UK.

I believe Bernie has made sure that F1 can't be broadcasted by pay-tv and has to be free!As far as i know the FIA and Bernie won't allow that/give permission.Don't have time to look it up though!!

I cannot sign that thing when last week 10 showed the Chinese GP 10 hours delayed into Perth and is showing 'Srg Bilko' after Bathurst @ 15:00 tomorrow instead of the Japanese GP which they will show at 23:05, 10 gours delayed again.

I would rather F1 goes to Foxtel than put up wiuth this from 10, at least then I will see live qualy and a live race and I dont mind paying for it.

I fully support your cause.

It'll have a negative affect like It does for Cricket, rugby (and more) here In the UK.

I presume you get to see qualy and races live? In australia we dont see Qualy at all and hardly ever see a live race. This is the main reason I want to see F1 go to pay TV.

Im pretty sure the NRL and AFL just signed new contracts that are for a few years each aswell, on Free to air....

It doesnt matter. The new system would be a use it or loose it idea where each city has to get 50% of a sport. This sounds good in theory but it is very bad.

This is a dirrect quote from the website.

Like most things that sound too good to be true, "use it or lose" is more complicated than it

sounds. For example, the pay TV industry says the "use it or lose it" rules should include a

requirement that sports are shown nationally (to 50% of the population). However, AFL

coverage would fail this test because free-to-air broadcasters show different, local team

games into each market so that people can support their home side. Showing local games

in different markets means it's unlikely that any game would reach 50% of the population.

The pay TV industry has also said that the test should consider how much of the event is

shown on free-to-air television. What they are not saying is that most of the rights that are

used by free-to-airs are already available to pay TV. That means that under their test an event

that was already being shown on both free-to-air and pay TV could be taken off the

antisiphoning list because it wasn't being "fully used" by free-to-air broadcasters, even though

the so-called "unused" rights were already available to or shown on pay TV. So rather than

increase coverage, this test would see sports being delisted and moving exclusively to pay

TV, leaving viewers to pay to watch something that they were getting for free.

I take it that this isn't pay-per-view but just good ole cable whereas you pay a small sum every month for a variaty of channels, well very good, about time you people down under join the 21st century. The upside is this ykick you might just get better F1 coverage, maybe even live. I gladly pay so's that I get sports live and much more coverage than if it was only on free to air tv....

I take it that this isn't pay-per-view but just good ole cable whereas you pay a small sum every month for a variaty of channels, well very good, about time you people down under join the 21st century. The upside is this ykick you might just get better F1 coverage, maybe even live. I gladly pay so's that I get sports live and much more coverage than if it was only on free to air tv....

Australia has had Pay TV (or cable as you call it) and Pay Per View for a very long time its just that i object to having to pay to watch any sport on television. Sport is like a religion in Australia, would you like to have to pay to get into the church.

Australia has had Pay TV (or cable as you call it) and Pay Per View for a very long time its just that i object to having to pay to watch any sport on television. Sport is like a religion in Australia, would you like to have to pay to get into the church.

Oh God, I thought you were talking about Pay per View which had me feeling sorry for you for a second. Hearing that it's just regular cable, well, I don't feel for you in the least! Stump up the $50/month and quit whining.

Oh God, I thought you were talking about Pay per View which had me feeling sorry for you for a second. Hearing that it's just regular cable, well, I don't feel for you in the least! Stump up the $50/month and quit whining.

$50 a month is huge and thats the cheapest plan. Plus i cant get cable in my area as i live to far away from civilisation.

$50 a month is huge and thats the cheapest plan. Plus i cant get cable in my area as i live to far away from civilisation.

So get a satellite man, that shouldn't run you more than 70$/month. Whereabouts do you live? I've always wanted to go to Darwin and fish in the sea north of there - I hear it's the best fishing in the world.

So get a satellite man, that shouldn't run you more than 70$/month. Whereabouts do you live? I've always wanted to go to Darwin and fish in the sea north of there - I hear it's the best fishing in the world.

I live in the outskirts of Sydney. You also have to remember that im just a student and i cant afford $70 a month for something which i currently get for free.

I live in the outskirts of Sydney. You also have to remember that im just a student and i cant afford $70 a month for something which i currently get for free.

Can't you go in with your housemates?

I think our Fox runs into the 100+ region a month. but we are on the best plan, and have two boxes.

Free to air coverage on sports (lets not get into general tv programs) has and will always be under par. It's about time they got some pressure and the competition will actually make them give a Sh#t about their viewers instead of treating them like idiots. The ball in is in the free to air networks court. They have to shape up and provide better quality coverage for their viewers or hand it over to someone who can and will.