Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cavallino

Schumacher Cancels Break To Test At Jerez

Schumacher cancels break to test at Jerez

By Jonathan Noble Friday, October 6th 2006, 09:35 GMT

Michael Schumacher has cancelled plans for a post-race celebration at the Japanese Grand Prix so he can fly back to Europe to test, autosport.com has learned.

The Ferrari driver, who is tied at the top of the world championship standings with Fernando Alonso, had originally been set to skip next week's pre-Brazilian GP test at Jerez.

But with the title fight being so close, and even though he is retiring at the end of the year, Schumacher has demanded that he be drafted in for the run.

Instead of staying for the annual post-race Log Cabin party, Schumacher will now fly out of Japan on Sunday and test in Spain on Wednesday and Thursday.

Ferrari are planning to evaluate new aerodynamic components, make their tyre choice for Brazil and evaluate the duty cycle of the engine that only has to last the Interlagos event.

"There are one or two things we want to try in Jerez before we make the tyre selection for Brazil," said technical director Ross Brawn. "The engine will be following a representative duty cycle to make sure we get a check for Brazil."

The only circumstance that could force a late change of plan would be if Schumacher won the drivers' championship here at Suzuka, but even then Ferrari would still be locked in a fight with Renault for the constructors' title.

I don't see Kimi ever being this committed :(

Just normal behaviour for Michael, committed to the last. And why not? It's in his interest to be so. I disagree with your point about Kimi though Cav'. If he gets a sniff of a championship i believe he'll put the extra effort in, as long as there is a Smirnoff waiting at the end of it..... :P

Neither do I but the less of him in the post-race/qualifying press conferences, the better!

Shows how great & committed Michael really is..

Not surprising though & Kimi is no where near this committment. However Kimi is an excellent racer, I think we will have some fun years. Because as we saw in Shanghai, in all honesty I was hoping for Kimi to give Fernando a challenge but that damn engine blew up as usual!

I dont know how committed Kimi is, but when the test comes he proves himself.

In a recent article on itv-f1.com, both Ron and Kimi himself admitted that he can be lazy at times. If you are a tifosi, I don't think you have much to worry about, even if this remains true next season. Kimi, in my opinion, has speed enough to win even when the car isn't perfect. The only thing that would hinder Kimi, I feel, is if the car has a catastrophic failure....and that isn't likely to happen to a Ferrari these days.

Even if my thoughts on Kimi's hard driving style prove true, I doubt he could 'break' a current Ferrari.

In short, he will be '07 WDC. Ferrari will be '07 WCC (my prediction, of course)

In a recent article on itv-f1.com, both Ron and Kimi himself admitted that he can be lazy at times. If you are a tifosi, I don't think you have much to worry about, even if this remains true next season. Kimi, in my opinion, has speed enough to win even when the car isn't perfect. The only thing that would hinder Kimi, I feel, is if the car has a catastrophic failure....and that isn't likely to happen to a Ferrari these days.

Even if my thoughts on Kimi's hard driving style prove true, I doubt he could 'break' a current Ferrari.

In short, he will be '07 WDC. Ferrari will be '07 WCC (my prediction, of course)

Well said Mike! :cheers:

Oh well,

I cant wait for the Japanese Qualifying!!!!!!!!! :beer22::beer22::beer22:

GO SCHUMI GO!! :ferrari::icon2_flag:

He's obviously worried about Alonso's competativness to do this, doubt it was planned ages ago so something came up to scare him maybe.

Whats the record right now, one mechanical failure since 1998? I know the continous streack was broken in the first race of 05. but what was the actual time prior to that race in 05 ferrari last had a malfunction?

He's obviously worried about Alonso's competativness to do this, doubt it was planned ages ago so something came up to scare him maybe.

I smell sour grapes

Whats the record right now, one mechanical failure since 1998? I know the continous streack was broken in the first race of 05. but what was the actual time prior to that race in 05 ferrari last had a malfunction?

bahrain 05 was the third race, and before that was 2002 with rubens having a few engine failures.

Kimi is lazy, and more importantly he hates testing, I read about this as early as 2002, in F1 Racing I think. I hope the Ferrari test drivers do a good job, I have a feeling Ron was relying on his, I can't imagine Montoya or Kimi doing much to help in car development.

Hats off to Michael! This is how a champion should be! Having a hard-nosed blue-collar work ethic is the only way one can become a champion.

Shows how great & committed Michael really is..

Not surprising though & Kimi is no where near this committment. However Kimi is an excellent racer, I think we will have some fun years. Because as we saw in Shanghai, in all honesty I was hoping for Kimi to give Fernando a challenge but that damn engine blew up as usual!

I dont know how committed Kimi is, but when the test comes he proves himself.

Kimi is naturally fast. Give him a good car and he will get the job done. This is why he is called the ice man. The interesting aspect of this for next year is his integration into the Ferrari Family. I think this would be very important if Kimi ever wants to win a Championship. The Atmosphere in the Mclaren team is very clinical, very professional, picture everyone wearing spotless white lab coats in the Mclaren Technology Centre. This suited Kimi pretty well. He came drove the car and walked away.

The Atmosphere at Modena is very different, the Ferrari F1 operation looks like an assembly of mechanics in a neighbourhood garage over the weekend, its not as polished or fancy, but never the less very effective. Kimi needs to get this emotional team behind him or else Ferrari will fade back into being average. Massa isn't the one to arouse the passionate tifosi within the team.

did you see how Schumacher hugged practically everyone after his Chinese victory? A gesture like that is very powerful emotionally and motivates the team to perform at a very high level.

Who is Alonso? :blink:

Are you talking about the guy that complains a lot, and blames everybody else, the same one that has a lot of time without stepping the high step of the podium?

If you are talking about his guy, I don't think that MS did it because of Alonso, maybe he is doing it because he want to win, he got a job to do, and maybe he want to enjoy his last moments in F1, I don't see Alonso here, do you?

The only thing that would hinder Kimi, I feel, is if the car has a catastrophic failure....and that isn't likely to happen to a Ferrari these days. Even if my thoughts on Kimi's hard driving style prove true, I doubt he could 'break' a current Ferrari.

There was a thread (I believe started by you on 'Does Kimi break his toys'). Well, the real test will be if he can break a Ferrari, in which case he would just have to find a job as the pilot of the Lockheed Blackbird or something faster. Breaking a Ferrari ? That's an interesting concept, how many times have Ferrari had mechanical failures in the last 4 - 5 years ?? Can't remember off hand except MS in Oz this year (now I'm confused)

did you see how Schumacher hugged practically everyone after his Chinese victory? A gesture like that is very powerful emotionally and motivates the team to perform at a very high level.

Well said, Michael is way beyond just a driver, he is essentially a team guy - the best leaders lead from the front and take their team with them. Whether Kimi will be able to do that is conjecture, he does not seem as naturally as expressive or emotional and he would need to really get the team behind him..

hehe sorry did i rock the boat with some logic?

There was a thread (I believe started by you on 'Does Kimi break his toys'). Well, the real test will be if he can break a Ferrari, in which case he would just have to find a job as the pilot of the Lockheed Blackbird or something faster. Breaking a Ferrari ? That's an interesting concept, how many times have Ferrari had mechanical failures in the last 4 - 5 years ?? Can't remember off hand except MS in Oz this year (now I'm confused)

Gone and confused me aswell, dont think you can count driver error as mechanical failure.....or is MS a robot after all?

And I'm sure that he's not going to dedicate himself as Schumi did nor to bring the team around him! I feel sorry for those great F 056 engines that Kimi's going to break next year. :beer22:

As Sir Frank was stating he is not taking F1 seriously enough, yes he was there in 2003 and 2005, but you don't see him impassioned about it!

I just read that over at itv. I think Frank has the right of it. Frank and Ron still talk and I suspect Frank's views are a result of those 'talks'.

I will say this, if Kimi goes as fast as I think he's able to go, in an unbreakable Ferrari, then we will see F1 become a Ferrari show in the next few years. I'm not sure that will be good for the (absurd) concept of the 'show'.

For those that want different drivers winning each race (as a part of improving the show), I would think Ferrari would be the LAST place everyone would want Kimi....

I just read that over at itv. I think Frank has the right of it. Frank and Ron still talk and I suspect Frank's views are a result of those 'talks'.

I will say this, if Kimi goes as fast as I think he's able to go, in an unbreakable Ferrari, then we will see F1 become a Ferrari show in the next few years. I'm not sure that will be good for the (absurd) concept of the 'show'.

For those that want different drivers winning each race (as a part of improving the show), I would think Ferrari would be the LAST place everyone would want Kimi....

Still has these same thoughts after Suzuka Mike, I must admit I also read that lazy bit on itv and it's not good, he's gonna need to motivate himself and the red team.....

Frank's words are worrying, he is saying something that really concerns me right now - where is this team going to go?

Certainly Ferrari can handle this..or will the team fall apart without M$? A true tifosi would have more faith in Ferrari, no?

In the long term, yes. In the short term there are worries. There is of course a lot to live up to, which cannot be easy.