Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sdoik

Driver Dies From Bathurst Crash Injuries

Porter dies from Bathurst crash injuries

8:31 PM October 8

V8 driver Mark Porter died on Sunday following the critical injuries he suffered in a crash at Mount Panorama in Bathurst on Friday.

Porter and fellow driver David Clark were involved in a high-speed accident during the second last lap in the first race of the Development Series.

The 31-year-old Porter's Holden Commodore spun sideways after striking a wall. Despite his best efforts, Clark could not stop his Ford Falcon from hitting into the stricken vehicle at an estimated speed of 200 kilometres per hour.

V8 Supercars Australia released a statement on Sunday evening expressing its sympathies for Porter's family and offering support for his wife Adrienne and one-year-old son Flynn.

Clark has regained consciousness and is now breathing unaided, but remains in the intensive care unit of Sydney's Nepean Hospital.

The 28-year-old had been in an induced coma, but is now recovering well from a punctured right lung and fractures to his pelvis, right arm and leg.

Source: ABC

Video of the crash - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzBEJQYFe3U...ted&search=

----

In the wake of Peter Brocks death, another tragedy befalls the motorsport world.

My condolences to Mark's family & friends. :byebye:

note - I realise the typo in the title (should be peace instead of piece)

Sad.

I was jsut wondering, in sportscar racing why don't they just mount a single seat in the centre, won't that reduce all those side impact casualties? Doesn't apply in rally driving of course.

Poor man. This is the first death from Australian touring cars in over 15 years. It wasnt that bad of a crash really but the angle in which he was hit was really bad. That is the problem with street courses as there was nowhere he could go. I think this is the 4th death at Bathurst in the tracks 60 year life. This is a very sad day for Australian motorsport and this is the very first fatel accident ive ever seen on television and its not something i ever wish to see again.

My god they looked happy on the podium, don't they have any respect for a dead colleague? What kind of people are they?

My god they looked happy on the podium, don't they have any respect for a dead colleague? What kind of people are they?

He wasnt dead then. He died at 6pm which was over a hour after the podium ceremony.

He wasnt dead then. He died at 6pm which was over a hour after the podium ceremony.

But he was seriously injured, they had to know= no class :mf_tongue:

You're making a distinction that is largely an irrelevant one. It is in terribly poor form to celebrate when a colleague is in a near-fatal condition. Whether or not they thought Porter was dead or near-dead, they shouldn't have been celebrating.

You're making a distinction that is largely an irrelevant one. It is in terribly poor form to celebrate when a colleague is in a near-fatal condition. Whether or not they thought Porter was dead or near-dead, they shouldn't have been celebrating.

The accident occured on Friday in the development series (they use 3 or 4 year of V8 Supercars). All the drivers expressed their concern for his welfare on late Friday and all of Saturday. I imagine they believed (like i did) that he would pull through. Im 100% certain they would not have been celebrating if they knew he was about to die.

Hmmm....does this also apply to M$ in '94?

Hmmm....does this also apply to M$ in '94?

Quite intentional I assure you, that post of mine is a copy of one of bajo's from that thread - I am interested to know if you and others who agreed with you in that thread will apply the same principles here. The crime of course is greater since they were splashing champagne around and grinning all ears by the look of it, surely this must be unimaginable callousness by your standards, and I would presume with my own limited experience, virtually unprecedented in motorsports?

Quite intentional I assure you, that post of mine is a copy of one of bajo's from that thread - I am interested to know if you and others who agreed with you in that thread will apply the same principles here. The crime of course is greater since they were splashing champagne around and grinning all ears by the look of it, surely this must be unimaginable callousness by your standards, and I would presume with my own limited experience, virtually unprecedented in motorsports?

I forgive you your limited experience. Yes to your questions, with the exception to the last one. M$ proved it wasn't unprecedented. Alonso demonstrated a bit of that same callousness when he didn't at least give Fisico a pat on the back or something for his fallen friend. I suppose I expect too much from these kids. That's partly why I deliberately look only at their driving talent, not personality.

I remember year ago this accident occured

It looked huge and straight away over 10 cars all stopped and the drivers rushed out of their car to get the driver (Craig Lowndes) out of the wreakage. There were nearly a donzon drivers who went out of their way to save his life. This is something you would never see in formula 1 which i think is rather sad.

This is something you would never see in formula 1 which i think is rather sad.

I presume you mean the drivers stopping and rushing - that would be pointless most of the time, the marshals would be there first and the medical crews too. Besides, fortunately (or unfortunately) in F1 when you usually see a crash, you just assume that the driver will be fine - remember Karthikeyan last year at China, noone stopped. If we see a crash like Zanardi's, maybe we will see sometyhing different.

I remember year ago this accident occured

It looked huge and straight away over 10 cars all stopped and the drivers rushed out of their car to get the driver (Craig Lowndes) out of the wreakage. There were nearly a donzon drivers who went out of their way to save his life. This is something you would never see in formula 1 which i think is rather sad.

Sorry ykick but back in the day when tracks were more remote and the medical car wasn't just a heartbeat away F1 drivers stopped many a time to help their fallen comrades...........

I presume you mean the drivers stopping and rushing - that would be pointless most of the time, the marshals would be there first and the medical crews too. Besides, fortunately (or unfortunately) in F1 when you usually see a crash, you just assume that the driver will be fine - remember Karthikeyan last year at China, noone stopped. If we see a crash like Zanardi's, maybe we will see sometyhing different.

I know its considered unnessecary BUT you can imagine a situation where a driver has a serious crash and another driver is passing by, (there are no marshalls nearby). In V8 Supercars that driver would stop to help the injured driver but im not so certain about F1 as i get the impression that most of them dont really get along.

Sorry ykick but back in the day when tracks were more remote and the medical car wasn't just a heartbeat away F1 drivers stopped many a time to help their fallen comrades...........

Maybe so. But that was in a time when F1 drivers were friends. These days competition overrides compassion and friendship for most drivers.

I know its considered unnessecary BUT you can imagine a situation where a driver has a serious crash and another driver is passing by, (there are no marshalls nearby). In V8 Supercars that driver would stop to help the injured driver but im not so certain about F1 as i get the impression that most of them dont really get along.

Maybe so.

As pumpdoc said it used to happen quite often in the days when a crash meant a driver was in danger. And the fact is that there is nothing a driver can do that marshals and the medical crews won't.

As pumpdoc said it used to happen quite often in the days when a crash meant a driver was in danger. And the fact is that there is nothing a driver can do that marshals and the medical crews won't.

This is a good point. Back in the day, as Bruce said, there wasn't anybody around if you were on the back end of the 'ring so a driver would stop and do what he could until the medical team arrived.

This got me thinking about a discussion with BATracer teammates recently. Anybody remember Martin Donnelly? His Lambo blew into bits and left him sitting, still strapped to his chair, on the track. Another competitor (I forget which) put his car in the way so the field wouldn't scream along and hit Martin.

http://www.f1-facts.com/events/10275

ykick, most of the drivers are friends, but it's hard to see that from the outside, right?

I remember Martin. Thought he'd had it, but he went on to have a successful management career. On topic, very sad news from Oz.

I forgot the drivers are on the right side of the car over there...

shame...

I forgot the drivers are on the right side of the car over there...

shame...

Whats really sad is when you look at the video just after Porter spins you can see him moving. He moves his arms and you can tell he is upset at himself for spinning. You can see clearly that he is very much alive then afew seconds later he was in a second accident which ended his life. As i said before this is the first motor racing death i have ever seen live on television and it isnt a very pleasent feeling.

This isn't the place for it a##hole.

Poor man. This is the first death from Australian touring cars in over 15 years. It wasnt that bad of a crash really but the angle in which he was hit was really bad. That is the problem with street courses as there was nowhere he could go. I think this is the 4th death at Bathurst in the tracks 60 year life. This is a very sad day for Australian motorsport and this is the very first fatel accident ive ever seen on television and its not something i ever wish to see again.

Do you think he was fully strapped in at the time of the accident? Sometimes after an accident a driver doesn't have his wits about him and forgets to wait for instructions from the marshalls before undoing their restraints. In Formula 1 they almost never wait for the marshals but in other series, particularly sports cars which are far more dangerous, the drivers usually have a bit mor eintelligence about them. The accident just didn't look that bad but I suppose if the speed estimate was correct, 200kph, that would have done it. There's virtually no crumple zone on the side of a car.

Also, why didn't Clark observe the yellow flags and slow down? Seemed like there was enough time...

This isn't the place for it a##hole.

Do you think he was fully strapped in at the time of the accident? Sometimes after an accident a driver doesn't have his wits about him and forgets to wait for instructions from the marshalls before undoing their restraints. In Formula 1 they almost never wait for the marshals but in other series, particularly sports cars which are far more dangerous, the drivers usually have a bit mor eintelligence about them.

I suppose its possible as i did see him moving his arms around in the c#ckpit after he spun and before the second impact.

The accident just didn't look that bad but I suppose if the speed estimate was correct, 200kph, that would have done it. There's virtually no crumple zone on the side of a car.

Take a look at the accident again and look at the drivers side door after the impact. The car has got extensive damage there and its easy to imagine that causing serious injuries.

Also, why didn't Clark observe the yellow flags and slow down? Seemed like there was enough time...

I think he was caught up in racing and didnt notce them. When he came around the corner he was busy trying to overtake someone and Porters spin only just happened afew seconds before hand. Its easy to miss yellow flags when they have only been out for a second.

I think he was caught up in racing and didnt notce them. When he came around the corner he was busy trying to overtake someone and Porters spin only just happened afew seconds before hand. Its easy to miss yellow flags when they have only been out for a second.

That's criminal. More should be done to ensure that drivers are mindful of the safety marshals, particularly at such times...

That's criminal. More should be done to ensure that drivers are mindful of the safety marshals, particularly at such times...

I think this kind of accident is justification for a light on the drivers steering wheel which informs them about what is happening in regards to flags. In tracks like Bathurst it is not always easy to see marshalls so i think informing the drivers with a light in their car would be another safety measure.

I think this kind of accident is justification for a light on the drivers steering wheel which informs them about what is happening in regards to flags. In tracks like Bathurst it is not always easy to see marshalls so i think informing the drivers with a light in their car would be another safety measure.

Agree, lights on the steering wheel and lights on the side of the track would have helped prevent this terrible accident from happening.

I was standing at the section of track where the accident happened 5 minutes before hand and I'm grateful that I decided to move further down the mountain.

The Bathurst officials told the crowd nothing of what had happened, we at the track where dependant on outside news. (most of the crowd at Bathust camp at the track) So I'm not sure if the drivers on the podium where aware of the serious nature of the crash. The V8 Supercar community is very tight knit so I'm sure that respect would have been paid if they where aware.

RIP Mark Porter