Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

F1 FANatic

Lukiest Driver To Win A Wdc

This whole discussion reminds me of an expression a professor I had in college loved to utter: "Hitler lost the war because winter trapped his troops in Russia. If it were not because of 'General Winter', the Soviet Union would have been thoroughly defeated". Well, that meant ignoring the 20+ millions of deaths the soviet paid to win the eastern front. Luck plays an important role, no matter who do you support, you will all recall some time when your favorite driver won/lost a race because of sheer luck. But that cannot divert you from the truth, and truth is: no amount of luck can make you a WDC without the talent and the effort.

I do not think any amount of luck would have made a champion that year of Divina Galica! (does anybody remember her?) :eusa_think:

I think when you refer to luck, you have to remember the opposite, where was the driver unlucky?

People tend to jump on drivers too quickly for saying they had a lucky win, or someone retiring was lucky for them. If you look back in their career, you'll usually find a few times when they were miserably unlucky, so most of the times, it balances out.

Yep thats a fair point. Alonso had a crash in Monaco 2004 when he could have won Scuhmacher had the stall on the grid, and tire failure in Japan 98, Hakkinen was injured in a horrible accident... Luck is something that comes and goes in most forms of sport

I do not think any amount of luck would have made a champion that year of Divina Galica! (does anybody remember her?) :eusa_think:

I remember! And Desiree Wilson, but she did have talent.