Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ykickamoocow

Horner: RB3 A Big Step Forward

Same old story - how is he a nice person just because he likes to jump into a pool? Just like DC is a gentleman because he talks nicely and dresses nicely. What anachronistic viewpoints.

The car better the hell be good, after all the time and effort!

I don't agree with you, ykick, about Horner. It seems to me that a team should be run by a right proper b@stard to grab any success....

....we'll see next year; they've got a good car, good lump and good drivers. It SHOULD be a good combination.

Same old story - how is he a nice person just because he likes to jump into a pool? Just like DC is a gentleman because he talks nicely and dresses nicely. What anachronistic viewpoints.

Horner to me seems like a much more modern style team boss. he listens to peoples input and gets the people he needs to get the job done. Horner doesnt try to build a team of yes men which is very different to teams like Toyota and Honda which is full of yes men. Horner also is a much more relaxed kind of boss as he said he wans his drivers to be themselves as i found out when Horner said in 2005 that he didnt mind if Coulthard were to give the one fingered salute to Schumacher. I imagine this relaxed nature also is simular in Red Bull's home base and we all know that people perform their best work when they are not under alot of pressure.

I don't agree with you, ykick, about Horner. It seems to me that a team should be run by a right proper b@stard to grab any success....

Do you do your best work when you have a boss you hate or when you have a boss you like. Remember all those people designing those cars are human as well and i dont think the 19th century style loss like Dennis and Todt is the correct approach. Horner however is a 21st century boss which i think is preferable.

Do you do your best work when you have a boss you hate or when you have a boss you like. Remember all those people designing those cars are human as well and i dont think the 19th century style loss like Dennis and Todt. Horner however is a 21st century boss which i think is preferable.

Fair point. Horner will have his 'baptism of fire' next season. He will have all the ingredients to make a winning team.....now let's see what he does with that. Believe me, I'll be the first to admit I was wrong about Horner if the team proves good...

Red Bull will never get to the top unless they can find a works engine supply as every other team in modern Formula 1. Having said that, I doubt a line up of David Coulthard and Mark Webber can give you a lot of success....DC is indeed a very good driver but is approaching the end of his career (I can see him retiring at the end of 2007) and MW has just been overrated in his early days in F.1, but now he has showed he is no more than an average guy (no better than Klien for sure)...Red Bull could have had a better line up

Newey has got massive pressure on his shoulders to produce a brilliant car, cos everyone's expecting it, nay demanding it. If the RB3 isnt a great car, Newey's reputation is going to be smashed. I feel sorry for him!

Do you do your best work when you have a boss you hate or when you have a boss you like.

I do my best work when I have a boss I respect. In some cases the liking bit comes after the respect arrives.

Newey has got massive pressure on his shoulders to produce a brilliant car, cos everyone's expecting it, nay demanding it. If the RB3 isnt a great car, Newey's reputation is going to be smashed. I feel sorry for him!

I should be a decent car due to the amount of time Newey has had to develop it. In his McLaren days he would be developing the current car right up until the end of the season because McLaren were usally fighting for the championship and needed the developments to keep up with Ferrari. This is not the case with Red Bull and Horner decided quite early on that 2006 was a write off so Newey turned all of his attention on next years car quite early. This means he has had alot more time to develop the RB3 than most other F1 cars he has ever developed.

That mp4-19 was a heap of crap.. Wasn't Newey the lead of that? Im sure he could survive one year of Sh#tness agian.

That mp4-19 was a heap of crap.. Wasn't Newey the lead of that? Im sure he could survive one year of Sh#tness agian.

This is very confusing actually. Someone correct me if im wrong but didnt the MP4-18 never race and right through 2003 McLaren ran a updated MP4-17. I have this memory that McLaren couldnt pass the FIA safety tests and there were other major problems with the car.

Dennis kept saying it was comiong all of 2003, until the last few roudns from memory... so I think they continued working on it and just made it into the 19 model, which was as I said, a heap fo Sh#t.

Dennis kept saying it was comiong all of 2003, until the last few roudns from memory... so I think they continued working on it and just made it into the 19 model, which was as I said, a heap fo Sh#t.

Ive got a old F1 magazine which was published in early 2003 which describes the MP4-18 as the car of the future and a certain title winner. They were certainly wrong wernt they. As to your previous question i dont think Newey actually designed to MP4-18 but he made major modifications to it to make it the MP4-19 which was bad but unfortuantly it was the best you could hope for given the original design.

I just came up with a great reason why Coulthard will do really well next season. Here it goes.

While at McLaren Coulthard was known for saying "This will be my year" and it never turned out as he hoped for one reason or another. Since Coulthard moved to Red Bull he has made no comments about how well he thinks he and Red Bull will go next season until last week when he said he was worried about next season. Here is my logic, when he says his car is going to be great it useally ends up being a dud but he just said that he isnt expecting much next year which means he is going to have a great year in 2007.

Just a few points (my two cents)

1, having a huge ammount of time to design a car dosnt mean it has to be a great car, as alot of the final regulations dont come out until late in the year.

It could also mean that if you got it wrong you have dug yourself deeper in the Sh#t.

2, With a customer engine in modern formula one, you are deluding yourself if you think you can mount a championship challenge. I would imagine buying Cosworth and building your own engine may have been a better long term plan. With customer engines you are just treading water. (Sauber?)

3, Newey is very good at what he does, but the Red Bull fans are setting themselves up for a big dissapointment. In my opinion they are putting all thier hopes in one basket. I wonder what will be the Red Bull fans opinion of the great Newey if the car turns out to be another Sh#t heap?

Just a few points (my two cents)

1, having a huge ammount of time to design a car dosnt mean it has to be a great car, as alot of the final regulations dont come out until late in the year.

It could also mean that if you got it wrong you have dug yourself deeper in the Sh#t.

2, With a customer engine in modern formula one, you are deluding yourself if you think you can mount a championship challenge. I would imagine buying Cosworth and building your own engine may have been a better long term plan. With customer engines you are just treading water. (Sauber?)

3, Newey is very good at what he does, but the Red Bull fans are setting themselves up for a big dissapointment. In my opinion they are putting all thier hopes in one basket. I wonder what will be the Red Bull fans opinion of the great Newey if the car turns out to be another Sh#t heap?

You also have to remember that while Newey was with Williams they dominated and McLaren were nowhere. Then Newey joined McLaren and McLaren suddenly became competitive and Williams started to decline. Coincidence, i think not.

You also have to remember that while Newey was with Williams they dominated and McLaren were nowhere. Then Newey joined McLaren and McLaren suddenly became competitive and Williams started to decline. Coincidence, i think not.

The Williams was undoubtably a great car in a simpler era, where as now to make a championship winning car you must have a car designed together with a dedicated engine.

Red Bull a championship contender with a customer engine? I dont think so, no matter how good Newey is.

I must also point out that for some time now Newey has not been the only genius working in F1.

Red Bull a championship contender with a customer engine? I dont think so, no matter how good Newey is.

You forget that since the introduction of the engine freeze Red Bull will use exactly the same engine that Ferrari (or Renault) will be using. In previous years Ferrari would give their customers a older version of their engine but they cant do that anymore.

I must also point out that for some time now Newey has not been the only genius working in F1.

True but he is the best one. Newey would have alot more championship winning cars if it wasnt for the mercedes engine in the bback of the McLaren. McLaren could have won the title in 2000, 2001, 2003 and 2005 if they had a more reliable engine.

You forget that since the introduction of the engine freeze Red Bull will use exactly the same engine that Ferrari (or Renault) will be using. In previous years Ferrari would give their customers a older version of their engine but they cant do that anymore.

True but he is the best one. Newey would have alot more championship winning cars if it wasnt for the mercedes engine in the bback of the McLaren. McLaren could have won the title in 2000, 2001, 2003 and 2005 if they had a more reliable engine.

Do you really believe that the Renault or Ferrari will be allowed to run at the same revs or be of the same quality?

Do you really believe that the Renault or Ferrari will be allowed to run at the same revs or be of the same quality?

I prsume you mean do you believe Ferrari or Renault will give Red Bull the same engine they use on there factory cars and my answer would be yes because it is written into the FIA rules which say each engine made by a manufacture but be identical in every way.

I prsume you mean do you believe Ferrari or Renault will give Red Bull the same engine they use on there factory cars and my answer would be yes because it is written into the FIA rules which say each engine made by a manufacture but be identical in every way.

Im talking about revs and questioning the quality of the engines.

Its a well known fact that Ferrari gave Sauber less revs and the engines were made from the lesser quality parts they wouldnt use in thier engines.

And before you say the engines were the ones from the year before, the last three years of Sauber they had the same engines as Ferrari

Im talking about revs and questioning the quality of the engines.

Its a well known fact that Ferrari gave Sauber less revs and the engines were made from the lesser quality parts they wouldnt use in thier engines.

And before you say the engines were the ones from the year before, the last three years of Sauber they had the same engines as Ferrari

Under the FIA rules regarding engine freeze the engine manufacturer must create identical engines for each team it supplies. This means they will use the same materials and the engines will have the same performance and reliability.

Under the FIA rules regarding engine freeze the engine manufacturer must create identical engines for each team it supplies. This means they will use the same materials and the engines will have the same performance and reliability.

I was talking about engines which are identical.

I mean the customer teams can be supplied with parts that are maybe below the quality that the supplier uses in thier own.

Also they can turn the revs down if they want.

Just out of interest, where do you as a Red Bull/ DC fan see the team at the end of next year?

Just out of interest, where do you as a Red Bull/ DC fan see the team at the end of next year?

I would like to see Red Bull in a position next year to regulary score points with the occasional podium and i with abit of luck id like to see a win. Im not expecting Red Bull to be championship contendors next year but i would like to see them as a competitive team which are able to beat teams like Renault, Ferrari and McLaren.