Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mock

'Game Over' For Webber - Purnell

F1 Home > News Room > F1gossip > View Article

Oct.12 (GMM) If Mark Webber's move to Red Bull backfires, it could spell 'game over' for his formula one career.

Those are the words of Tony Purnell, who was team boss at the Milton-Keynes factory when it was called Jaguar.

The Briton praised energy drink mogul Dietrich Mateschitz for pumping in the cash and assembling a top lineup for 2007, but warned that the pressure could pile on Webber's shoulders.

Purnell, who heralded Webber as the 'new Schumacher' when he drove for Jaguar in 2003 and 2004, told F1 Racing magazine: "If success isn't forthcoming, the blood-letting could be x-rated and that's no environment in which any driver can perform."

He warned that, unlike in the team's Ford-owned Jaguar guise, Webber is unlikely to be encouraged into a leadership position at Red Bull.

Purnell said of the 30-year-old Australian: "If it doesn't work it could be game over, because he's no longer a youngster -- and that would be tragic because Mark would make a great champion."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I for one will not be sad to see him go. He has achieved little imo

How many drivers have been called 'the next schumacher' over the years. I know that Frentzen was, back in 1996. Webber deserves his place in F1 but it doesnt look likely that he's going to be a champion, cos he needs to be in the right car. And I dont think Red Bull is going to be the right car.

How many drivers have been called 'the next schumacher' over the years. I know that Frentzen was, back in 1996. Webber deserves his place in F1 but it doesnt look likely that he's going to be a champion, cos he needs to be in the right car. And I dont think Red Bull is going to be the right car.

I really feel sorry for Webber. He moved to a team which had been competitive in formula 1 for nearly 20 years and just as he joined the team they went through a huge slump. Webber probably thought that switching to Williams would mean he would have a race winning car but unfortunatly that hasnt happened.

He is an idiot for leaving Williams. And for tricking them, he doesn't have the luxury that Alonso has or Michael still has of being able to p**s off a team and yet have them willing to sign him any day. Not as bad as JV, but it is interesting that Renault kept Fisi rather than considering him.

I for one will not be sad to see him go. He has achieved little imo

He's never been given a car which has allowed a decent examination of what he's capable of. He has outscored his team-mate in every season that he has raced so far, which again, doesn't give itself to locating the limits of his ability, especially so when you consider the poor quality/inexperience of those team-mates.

Next season he'll be up against a proven performer and although I don't expect the car to be much good, his performance vs Coulthard will hopefully give us a decent yardstick to measure his ability against.

I'm looking forward to that very much. Mark has shown that he's sometimes very quick, to my eyes at least. the comparison with DC should throw more light on the subject.

I'm looking forward to that very much. Mark has shown that he's sometimes very quick, to my eyes at least. the comparison with DC should throw more light on the subject.

Indeed, though I feel he will be found lacking, as he has been known universally for one lap qualifying speed rather than any consistent race speed.

RB indeed who was seen to be very quick with Ferrari seems to be languishing behind JB, which is something I had found unthinkable before the season started, and yet I have had to apologise mid season for assuming such a thing

I was going to say that he'd matured and didn't fall off the road as much. But then I remembered Japan. And then I looked further back into the season.

He's never been given a car which has allowed a decent examination of what he's capable of. He has outscored his team-mate in every season that he has raced so far, which again, doesn't give itself to locating the limits of his ability, especially so when you consider the poor quality/inexperience of those team-mates.

Next season he'll be up against a proven performer and although I don't expect the car to be much good, his performance vs Coulthard will hopefully give us a decent yardstick to measure his ability against.

I don't think that in 2005 Heidfeld was either slow or unexperienced. And he has proved to be better than Webber (although he has been outscored in the standings for having had to skip the last 5 races due to an injury..but before he was ahead of Mark)

RB indeed who was seen to be very quick with Ferrari seems to be languishing behind JB, which is something I had found unthinkable before the season started, and yet I have had to apologise mid season for assuming such a thing

don't worry u were 1 of many. Why people thought Jenson would be slower than Rubens, I have no idea, jenson was brilliant in 2005 just as he was in 2004. Rubens was not doing anything special at all.

I don't think that in 2005 Heidfeld was either slow or unexperienced. And he has proved to be better than Webber (although he has been outscored in the standings for having had to skip the last 5 races due to an injury..but before he was ahead of Mark)

Fair enough - I confess to not checking that! :D

If we can use that as a yardstick then that would make him mid-division at best. Someone has offered me even money that he outscores Coulthard over the season. If I decide that my gut trusts that info, then I might just take them up on it (the Coulthard side of the bet).

Fair enough - I confess to not checking that! :D

If we can use that as a yardstick then that would make him mid-division at best. Someone has offered me even money that he outscores Coulthard over the season. If I decide that my gut trusts that info, then I might just take them up on it (the Coulthard side of the bet).

I would take the Webber side of that one for even money ;)

As an aside. Heidfeld was only 4 points ahead of Webber at the time of his 'injury'. It is worth noting that without the Webber/Heidfeld switcheroo that was done at Monaco they would have been even on points. Given the number of c*ck ups Webber made that year and the times Heidfeld benefited from these (Malaysia for example) I think Heidfeld's lack of points proved him to be both slow and uninspiring. This year Webber has clearly improved significantly, whereas Heidfeld has done little to impress and is now being showed a thing or two by a rookie.

As for the Coulthard/Webber match up. I'm looking forward to it!

[quote name='duest' post='145805' date='Oct 12 2006, 02:29 PM']As an aside. Heidfeld was only 4 points ahead of Webber at the time of his 'injury'. It is worth noting that without the Webber/Heidfeld switcheroo that was done at Monaco they would have been even on points. Given the number of c*ck ups Webber made that year and the times Heidfeld benefited from these (Malaysia for example) I think Heidfeld's lack of points proved him to be both slow and uninspiring. This year Webber has clearly improved significantly, whereas Heidfeld has done little to impress and is now being showed a thing or two by a rookie.[/quote]
fair opinion, but I disagree.
Remember Heidfeld got williams' 1 and only pole position of 2005, he also finished 2nd the same race (beating his team-mate). Nick also drove well at monaco to come 2nd, making clean pass on alonso. Webber tried the same move and looked like a rookie, outbraking himself. They were quite evenly matched but at the time I got the feeling that Heidfeld was the more consistent reliable points scorer. I disagree that he has done little to impress this season, as he has been driving well every race, not just every now and then. He was nearly always ahead of Villeneuve (and in the points) he scored a good podium at hungary whilst many others made errors. He was only 'shown a thing or 2' by Kubica at monza, and dont forget Heidfeld (having outqualified Kubica) was pushed onto the dirt at the start which lost him a load of places and he later got a drive-thru penalty, so couldnt really show what he could have done.

As much as I'm not a fan of DC, I see him spanking the Aussi's a$$ next year and exposing him for the fraud that he is.....................

As much as I'm not a fan of DC, I see him spanking the Aussi's a$$ next year and exposing him for the fraud that he is.....................

I think it will be a close match, altho I expect Webber to have a slight edge in qualifying. If DC gets whooped, I think it'll be his final year. But if its the other way round, DC could go a couple more years yet, which would be great. I cant imagine that 1 will thrash the other, they're both pretty consistent and reliable

I think it will be a close match, altho I expect Webber to have a slight edge in qualifying. If DC gets whooped, I think it'll be his final year. But if its the other way round, DC could go a couple more years yet, which would be great. I cant imagine that 1 will thrash the other, they're both pretty consistent and reliable

Hey, if I have to put up with another year of ykick's avatar to see Webbo out of F1, that's a fair trade. What would be better is that both just Sh#t all over each other and both be gone............

Hey, if I have to put up with another year of ykick's avatar to see Webbo out of F1, that's a fair trade.

Trust me. My avatar is going nowhere. Even when DC is no longer in F1 his face will still be on my avatar.

DC loves racing so if 07 is his final year, I expect he'll race somewhere else in the world. My fear is that if Newey does produce a great car, its full potential wont be exploited by its driver line-up

Trust me. My avatar is going nowhere. Even when DC is no longer in F1 his face will still be on my avatar.

Ya know ykick I just noticed that your DC avatar and your Holden sig have alot in commen......they both have a flat wide face and are ugly as hell!!!!

DC loves racing so if 07 is his final year, I expect he'll race somewhere else in the world. My fear is that if Newey does produce a great car, its full potential wont be exploited by its driver line-up

DC has won all 13 of his races in Adrian Newey designed cars. This is a important fact to remember as the Newey-Coulthard combination is a proven race winner. I also firmly believe Coulthard is a better driver than he was when driving a McLaren. Since he has joined Red Bull he is a far more confident driver as he is now treated like the number 1 driver which has improved his results. Red Bull have a brilliant design team as well as 2 fully operational wind tunnels. These facilities are almost as good as Toyota who have a much bigger budget.

Ya know ykick I just noticed that your DC avatar and your Holden sig have alot in commen......they both have a flat wide face and are ugly as hell!!!!

It doesnt matter what Coulthard looks like to me. And as for the Holden Torana it is a 1970's muscle car, i dont know of a single 1970's muscle car in the entire world which looks pritty.

He is an idiot for leaving Williams. And for tricking them, he doesn't have the luxury that Alonso has or Michael still has of being able to p**s off a team and yet have them willing to sign him any day. Not as bad as JV, but it is interesting that Renault kept Fisi rather than considering him.

why you need always to put JV in so now go **************************************************

This tiraide has be deleted, pumpdoc