Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Null

US Style Safety Cars?......and other political rants.

hmmmmmmm no, I do not enjoy this idea. That takes away all the negatives about pitting under safety cars and for every good thing (i.e. pitting under safety cars) there must be a bad thing. If one of the backmarkers (who are usually less experienced and not as good, eg sakon) makes an error of judgment and goes round the SC at the wrong time and smacks into a stationary car, potentially with someone inside of it, especially if there are loads of service cars and trucks clogging up the area near the s/f line, then that would make it even worse.

ok, little rant over.... in simple terms.... F1 IS NOT AMERICAN, PLEASE STOP TRYING TO MAKE IT SO.

:king:

hmmmmmmm no, I do not enjoy this idea. That takes away all the negatives about pitting under safety cars and for every good thing (i.e. pitting under safety cars) there must be a bad thing. If one of the backmarkers (who are usually less experienced and not as good, eg sakon) makes an error of judgment and goes round the SC at the wrong time and smacks into a stationary car, potentially with someone inside of it, especially if there are loads of service cars and trucks clogging up the area near the s/f line, then that would make it even worse.

ok, little rant over.... in simple terms.... F1 IS NOT AMERICAN, PLEASE STOP TRYING TO MAKE IT SO.

I agree with your risk assessment - with the current lax standards for the issuance of Super Licenses and minimal enforcement of proper conduct violations, having backmarkers trying to pass the frontrunners could lead to disaster. However, we have seen at least a couple restarts this year that have been hampered by backmarkers holding up the second and third place runners. Of note, Alonso has been a great beneficiary of this but one suspects that this is by his design rather than happenstance. Do we want to eliminate another opportunity for the skill of such a driver to gain him an advantage? I'm not sure where I stand on this issue.

:yawn:

I believe this is a good idea. After a saftey car having the cars in order the racing will be more exciting from the re-start, and it wont be as easy for the leader to have an advantage if there a lapped cars between cars on the lead lap.

I believe this is a good idea. After a saftey car having the cars in order the racing will be more exciting from the re-start, and it wont be as easy for the leader to have an advantage if there a lapped cars between cars on the lead lap.

I like this idea but i don't like that the cars can't pit if the sc comes out. the pit lane is closed

This is from itv-f1.com. It explains it a bit better:

Formula 1 is set to adopt US-style Safety Car regulations following the announcement that the FIA has tweaked several of the sports rules for 2007 after the World Motor Sport Council Meeting in Paris on Wednesday.

Backmarkers will be told to pass the Safety Car and form up in their race positions at the tail of the field, instead of maintaining track position so as not to interfere with the action at restarts.

The move has been prompted after several drivers lobbied the governing body to act following problems at the Canadian Grand Prix, where leaders were hindered by slower cars.

And, just like its IRL Series and Champ Car World Series counterparts, F1 will also close the pitlane during SC periods to ensure drivers don't race back to the pits on safety grounds.

"When the Safety Car is deployed no car is permitted to enter the pits until all are bunched up behind the Safety Car," said a statement.

"This is to remove all incentive for cars to be driven quickly back to the pits for refuelling when the Safety Car is deployed.

"Before a race is resumed any lapped car between cars running on the lead lap must pass those cars and the safety car and then proceed around the track to take up position at the back of the line of cars behind the safety car."

While this will in theory cuts down on advantages gained on in and out-laps, it should provide protection for track officials working at the scene of an incident.

I'm neutral about it all, except maybe the part in bold..... :eusa_think:

i dont really understand it to be honest. If ur a driver and ur engineer says 'safety car deployed' and you're near the end of the lap, are u allowed to dive into the pits or not?

Too bad, this has worked for years with no problems..................

What if you actually need to pit for fuel? How will that work? You can't have guys running out of gas behind the safety car. That would be plain silly. How do you get around that one in the States?

What if you actually need to pit for fuel? How will that work? You can't have guys running out of gas behind the safety car. That would be plain silly. How do you get around that one in the States?

If you pit when the pits are closed you go back to the end of the line for the restart.

I was thinking the same thing. I also dont like this idea because it removes some uf the luck in formula 1. I love it when a safety car comes out at the worst time for some drivers and the best time for others and drivers who usally wouldnt do very well can get a very strong result. China in 2005 was a great example. The safety car come out at a terrible time for Coulthard so he went back from about 5th to about 10th and Klien who was outside the points ended up coming 6th due to the safet car. This adds a extra level of excitment which i fear we will loose with these new rules.

Aha. That clears that one up, then. I'm not opposed to the introduction of this rule in the name of safety except for one thing. It seems to be designed as a reaction to an accident that hasn't happened yet and probably never will.

Aha. That clears that one up, then. I'm not opposed to the introduction of this rule in the name of safety except for one thing. It seems to be designed as a reaction to an accident that hasn't happened yet and probably never will.

Better to do this than wait til a track-cleaning marshall gets hit by something. Usually in this sport a rule is brought in as a result of a serious injury or fatality. But sadly it does affect the racing cos safety cars do throw a big twist into races and create a bit of drama

I had a terrible attack of talking out of my arse in my last post. I'd forgotten Tom Pryce. Stupid gorilla. But, I still think that getting past a backmarker is a skill. Effectively what this means is: Driver A and driver B are negotiating traffic and driver A is doing a better job of it and increasing his lead. Blammo! something brings out the safety car. Driver B gets all those pesky backmarkers taken out of his way for free.

It wasn't broken so why fix it?

I suppose it's a case of 'fix it until it's broken...'

I am still neutral on this....can anyone give me a convincing reason to sway one way or the other?

I don't buy into the 'Its American so it's crap' argument. We've been doing motorsports over here for as long as you Europeans have...we know a thing or three about the subject...

your motorsport is Sh#t though! If it was good then there would be more american drivers and more american mechanics etc working in F1, however at the moment, F1 is pretty anti-america and pro-european when it comes to these things.

If a driver HAS to pit for fuel then that is grossly unfair with the safety car and them having to go to the back, its like the 10 grid slot penalty for dead engines, not the drivers fault but they are the ones to get punished!

If a driver HAS to pit for fuel then that is grossly unfair with the safety car and them having to go to the back, its like the 10 grid slot penalty for dead engines, not the drivers fault but they are the ones to get punished!

It wouldnt even be the teams fault. I would be so mad if a driver i liked got this penalty just because the safety car came out at the wrong time. Essentually a drivers choice would be to run out of fuel or end up at the back of the feild. Every driver in F1 needs to pit for fuel and getting punished for that seems idiotic.

Agreed but I can remember thinking on a couple of occasions: boy a safety car right now would be perfect!

your motorsport is Sh#t though! If it was good then there would be more american drivers and more american mechanics etc working in F1, however at the moment, F1 is pretty anti-america and pro-european when it comes to these things.

You forget that the general population of North America couldn't care less about F1 except for maybe soccer. You make the assumption that a North American Driver or Mechanic actually has a desire to be in F1. The truth is they don't. I know you guys find this hard to believe, but F1 isn't even on the sport radar in America. Over here the general population doesn't care.

Without MS, JV and a poor performing Scott Speed, F1 will really fade away to obscurity on this side of the Atlantic.

You forget that the general population of North America couldn't care less about F1 except for maybe soccer. You make the assumption that a North American Driver or Mechanic actually has a desire to be in F1. The truth is they don't. I know you guys find this hard to believe, but F1 isn't even on the sport radar in America. Over here the general population doesn't care.

Without MS, JV and a poor performing Scott Speed, F1 will really fade away to obscurity on this side of the Atlantic.

I think thats good. Lets try and keep the rednecks away from our great sport.

Heh well 2 of those 3 are leaving/left and I expect Speed won't last that long,goodbye America(hopefully) :king: