Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jem of the Shire

Webber Regrets Williams Move

G.W. bush speaks (if that's the term for the appalling drivel that comes from his mouth) English. English is the first language of the country he comes from. If he lived in America but spoke Russian as his first language, founded a Russian library, encouraged Russian scholars to come and study in Russian, gave his children Russian names and regarded Russia as his home I wouldn't say he was American.

This is the root of the debate. Did the Ptolemy children regard themselves as Greek or Egyptian? When they fought for the interests of Egypt against all comers, were they regarding themselves as Greek or as the leaders of Egypt?

Are the Amish American?

Now that is a good question. I'm assuming they have US passports (are they allowed to travel abroad? presumably they don't fly), yet they have a distinct culture that is obviously diffent to the US as a whole.

I would describe them as Amish.

Now that is a good question. I'm assuming they have US passports (are they allowed to travel abroad? presumably they don't fly), yet they have a distinct culture that is obviously diffent to the US as a whole.

I would describe them as Amish.

How you would describe them doesn't really answer the question at hand. How do the Amish describe themselves? More importantly, what national laws govern them? The Amish are legal Americans citizens. They consider themselves so as well*. They need American passports when travelling and are subject to all American laws.

Likewise, when the Ptolemaic Dynasties looked after Egypt, it's laws and it's citizenry, they were Egyptian, regardless of ethnic heritage or cultural practice.

*Though they choose to live away from the current American culture, they will not deny that they are citizens of America.

EDIT: We seem to have gone a bit off-topic. After re-reading the posts above, it's clear we have a different view on what constitutes 'nationality'. No worries. Ptolemy, I concede that your name is Greek, not Egyptian, unless I'm wanting to send you a post, then I suppose I'd better address it 'Egypt'. Lets table this and get back to talking racing ;)

I have quaffed before and will do so again :D . 200 yards? I must look into re-locating to England. In America, we don't have the same 'pub' traditions you Brits have (dammit) <_<It's very impersonal over here.

Whatever do you mean Mike? my 'local' treats me right and the wench's, erm bar maids are tops :D

Whatever do you mean Mike? my 'local' treats me right and the wench's, erm bar maids are tops :D

Yeah, but you live in a proper town. I live in the armpit of California -_-

I find it odd how Webber's move to a team coincides with the teams decline in performance. Is it a coincidence?

In 2004, his final year at Jaguar, "Webbo" scored 7 points. Jaguar were sold in to Red Bull November that year. The RBR 2005 car that got it's first competitive outing in March 2005 was the same car, except now a year behind, that Webber raced the year before, but Coulthard managed to get 24 points in it.

This suggests two non-mutually exclusive points: one, Coulthard is brilliant, two, Webber is crap.

Looking at this year Webber has a grand total of 7 points (so far) and his rookie team mate has 4 (plus a string of stupid mistakes that have cost him a lot more points). One again the same two possibilities: his team-mate is great, Webber is crap. Do you see a common theme developing?

Now, 2003 at Jaguar he scored 17 points, and in 2005 at Williams he got a very respectable 36 points, but when you look at his results it shows that any team he is at have a drop in results once he's been there a year.

Is Webber consistently unlucky, or just not very good. I'd say not very good, and the results suggest that he's very poor at car development.

If he gets his arse kicked when he's back at Jaguar-renamed-Red Bull Racing I suspect he'll retire before the end of the season.

Seems like a really nice bloke though.

You seem to forget that mark has retired from races on numerous occassions this year due to technical failures whilst being in the top four or five, so he has thrown away about 20 odd points due to that!!!

Edit

People may consider Ptolemy to be an Egytian name, but it's Greek. The name Michael is English. It can be used by Germans, Poles, Danes or Inuit, but it's still English. Someone once told me the Colossus of Rhodes straddled the harbour and provided the evidence to support this claim of "everyone knows that" - everyone may think the moon is made of cheese - this doesn't make it so.

He may have put Egypt to the forefront of his mind, but it was a Greco-Egypt that had its place in a Hellenic empire.

Ah, my dear man, the name Michael is Hebrew.

The dynasties started by Ptolemy are Egyptian Dynasties to be found in the chronicles of Egyptian history, not Greek - except as a cross-reference.

I leave you to debate the rest.

Ah, my dear man, the name Michael is Hebrew.

The dynasties started by Ptolemy are Egyptian Dynasties to be found in the chronicles of Egyptian history, not Greek - except as a cross-reference.

I leave you to debate the rest.

Michael is not a Hebrew name - it may have a origin in Hebrew, but "Michael" is English just as Michelle is Italian and Mikhail is the Russian version. In exactly the same way "Ptolemy" is Greek name. Martians could choose to call themselves Schumacher, it wouldn't make them German.

You may wish to argue the Ptolemaic dynasties are Egyptian because they are located in Egypt, but you may as well claim the the current Islamic culture is the same as the ancient one because if it's location.

To say that a culture is determined by which "Chronicles" it occurs is utterly fatuous - unless you come from some Tolkienesque world. If you wish ascribe the Ptolemaic dynasty to some chapter it would be included in the successor states - which are all Greek, and geographically cover the area from Epirus to India - and that's not cross-referenced in anyway.

Whatever.

I can't quite figure out why any one would want to insist that a Greek name is Egytian because that's the first place they heard of it in assoication with, but you can hold whatever opinion you want.

For the hard of seeing, no one here has insisted that the name is Egyptian. Not one soul.