Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jenson_Rules

2006 F1 Season Review

I can't believe the season is finally over and Alonso has won the 2006 F1 Drivers World Championship with his team, Renault winning the constructors championship.

I thought this would be a good place to keep all our thoughts on the season, what we thought the best races were, whom we thought the best teams were, most improved teams, most disappointing, most surprising etc. Same goes for drivers, best rookie, whom deserves to be dropped etc.

Personally I think the best races of the year were Hungary, Turkey, Brazil, Australia and maybe Suzuka too. Hungary 2006 will always hold a very special place in my heart as will Brazil, never at the beginning of this year did I think I would cry because Schumacher was retiring. Such a shame. I am yet to decide on the years best overtaking manouvre, and I am also yet to decide who had the best race of the year, but its out of Alonso/Button in Hungary and maybe Button/MS in Brazil, and theres a few others to chose from also.

Team wise, well most improved team is a tough one, but I think BMW have to take this, for a transition year they have wiped the floor with Williams which many of us didnt expect at the beginning. Most disappointing is going to be between Williams, Red Bull, Honda, Mclaren or Toyota. For how much they invest the latter 3 should have had much better seasons, and Honda really did fail to deliver on their pre-season promise. Mclaren, a whole season without winning a race, my my how very disappointing. However Williams have had a dismal, dismal year, infact I think their season has almost been a joke so I'm going to have to go with Williams. The best team has been Ferrari, they turned their season around and despite finishing the season 2nd, showed truely what an amazing team they are. Renault have also been good but Ferrari as a whole complete package win that one for me. Again most surprising is going to have to be Honda, they started well, lost momentum and fell far behind. At that point I thought they would be only occasional point scorers but they turned their season around, and even shockingly won a race and finished the season being pretty close to Renault in terms of performance, this is why I think they are the most surprising.

Rookie of the year goes to Kubica, No rookies other than him have stood out. Nico failed to deliver on his early promise, whereas speed was nowhere. Driver of the year, Schumacher. I don't think that requires an explanation other than he was pretty spectacular this year. Alonso comes a close second. Massa has surprised me this year and has improved a great deal, still doesnt mean I like him though. Kimi has been the most disappointing, he just hasnt seemed interested in the season all year, a severe lack of motivation leads him to being a disappointing 5th in the championship with no wins since Suzuka 05. Button deserves a mention for his mighty fine finish to the season and for completely dominating rubens.

Overall this season has been excellent, and now I just can't believe it's 5 months till the 2007 F1 season. May the winter pass in a flash!

Man of the year 2006 (in F1) in my opinion :)

1) Alonso is flawless races. He drives practicly withouth mistakes. Very solid driver. In all conditions, and on all tracks. Maybe he lacks ... hmmm ... I don't know how to say. He isn't such "sharp" racer like Kimi, or maybe so good in working with team like MS ... but it's very good, solid, and complete driver. He deserve his second title. He drives like an experienced driver, but he is still young. But like I said, in my opinion he lacks some personality like Schumi or Hakkinen have, or isn't so spectacular like Kimi. But it doesen't mean, that he is worst!

2) MS. For me .. he was last link between this, and old F1 era. Era of Senna, Prost, Mansell, Hill and even Hakkinen. And ... I'm sorry, that this is the end. Specialy, as Shumi show, that he is still great races, and race winner. He has a racing in his heart, and he loves F1. This is the end of an era. Schumi .. I could say, that i'm not your biggest fan because of A1 in 2002, Jerez 1997 or Monaco 2006. But today F1 world lost great character, F1 personality. For me it is fenomenal how good he was/is though 16 years of F1 driving. Look when is Coulthard now, when Hakkinen. And just look what Schumi show us today. Good work, I will miss You, because In my opinion we lost a link wit F1 golden era ...

And if we talk about Rookie of The Year. Easy answer for me. Specialy after today. It will be Kubica.

- 3rd in his 3rd F1 GP

- 5 times (of 6 races) in top ten when we talk about qual

- he finished all races of the season in which he started !! How many rookies manage that?

- 3-3 in races with experienced quick Nick

PS: I'm also happy with Honda and Button first win :)

yes this has been a brilliant season, maybe the best that i've seen (thats since 1998), and amazing title fight. The two title contenders were brilliant all year long, never had off days. I also think Kimi and Jenson were fantastic all season for their teams, but had to put up with poorish machinery. Massa had some great moments, but not enough of them. Fisi, sadly, was again a bit disappointing but he did improve on his lame 2005 performance. BMW did well as their 'first' season but I'm not overly impressed as they are just a renamed Sauber team with Sauber people, but now with a lot more dosh. If they dont improve in 2007 then BMW arent doing a good job. Super Aguri have done an amazing job getting to where they are now from where they were 11 months ago.

Sad to see Montoya go, he was a great racer and almost a world champion, with a fiery personality. Same with Villeneuve, I think he was a bit hard-done-by by BMW, and Mario was a bit of a twat in that area.

And of course schuey, still the best in the business, what a ledge.

Roll on 2007, with Alonso and Raikkonen resuming their battle, and hopefully Button too. And will Hamilton live up to the promise!!!

It has indeed been a wonderful season!

you have betrayed your allegiance to jenson by replacing your avatar with some woman!

Agreed, it has been a jolly entertaining season, with most races (Barcelona apart) providing plenty of entertainment value along the way.

My driver of the year would be Schumacher (Michael) for the display of determination that he has treated us to throughout the year. I am prepared to overlook Monaco since he is retiring.

Team wise, I will plump for Renault, simply for having their Sh#t together from the get go and maintaining that throughout the year, with even the mass dampers episode only having a minor effect on their year.

I disagree with JR that Honda have been disappointing, although I suspect that is because my expectations for them were nowhere near as lofty at the beginning of the year.

Rookie of the year. Hmm, not really sure that there has been one. I am not entirely convinced by Kubica, although I can't quite put my finger on what is missing. Rosberg looked good to begin with but has been disappointing for most of the year - perhaps if Williams can put together a half decent car next year we'll see a bit more from him. Who is Scott Speed?

My anti-driver of the year award goes to Kimi Raikkonen. You can almost smell his lack of motivation this year and I don't care if it comes from having a Sh#t car or from the knowledge that he was moving on at the end of the year. From a prospective WDC I would expect a bit more.

Anti-team of the year goes to Williams. 'Nuff said.

And finally I would like to applaud the FIA for their outrageously biased decisions this season which in part helped it to become the excellent spectacle that it was.

you have betrayed your allegiance to jenson by replacing your avatar with some woman!

yes he has, betrayed jenson even before the year of his first win is over

It's the off season, therefor kimberley from girls aloud (m fave!) gets my avatar and the rest get my sig!

Jenson will soon return in march!

. Kimi has been the most disappointing, he just hasnt seemed interested in the season all year, a severe lack of motivation leads him to being a disappointing 5th in the championship with no wins since Suzuka 05.

u rili cant blame him hes had a Sh#t car all year and its the same story as it has been 4 ages the driver can only do so much and hes done all he can hes deserved better than the unriliable and this year just slower maclaren

u rili cant blame him hes had a Sh#t car all year and its the same story as it has been 4 ages the driver can only do so much and hes done all he can hes deserved better than the unriliable and this year just slower maclaren

well surely that explanation can be attributed to Jenson too, who u keep attacking?