Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

narain fan

Winter Testing Thread: 06-07

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/55397

Bridgestone agree to increase testing

By Jonathan Noble Monday, October 23rd 2006, 16:26 GMT

Formula One teams have reached agreement with Bridgestone for a third test to take place this winter, autosport.com has learned.

A number of teams were concerned that they would not have enough preparation time for 2007 when only two three-day tests in December were originally pencilled in.

However, after a series of discussions between team bosses and the Japanese tyre manufacturer, agreement has now been reached for an extra session to start in Barcelona on November 28.

The two original tests will then go ahead at Jerez in Spain over the following weeks.

Although Williams had been one of the key pushers for the extra test, because of their change of engine for 2007, their efforts were supported by a number of other outfits who want to get as much mileage as possible on Bridgestone tyres following their switch from Michelin.

Williams director of engineering Patrick Head said: "All the other teams on Michelin have got to get used to running those tyres and getting the best out of those tyres, so it is not just us that want those nine days of running before the end of the year."

autosport

testing this year

28 November Barcelona

29 November Barcelona

30 November Barcelona

6 December Jerez

7 December Jerez

8 December Jerez

13 December Jerez

14 December Jerez

15 December Jerez

testing this year

28 November Barcelona

29 November Barcelona

30 November Barcelona

6 December Jerez

7 December Jerez

8 December Jerez

13 December Jerez

14 December Jerez

15 December Jerez

still month left :yawn:

Most of the teams test together with the exception of Ferrari who tend to do it privately so you should see it at some point

hey shane, (or anyone else who might know)

do the regular team drivers begin testing right away, or do the team test drivers do the majority of winter testing.

just curious

hey shane, (or anyone else who might know)

do the regular team drivers begin testing right away, or do the team test drivers do the majority of winter testing.

just curious

Ussually some new people are tested out during winter, but most of hte times the drivers are there as well teh test drivers do more laps though (i think)

just for curiousity and no offense meant but is this your first season of watching F1???

Its normally the test drivers, the main race drivers don't normally start working on them till at least after the new year normally

Ussually some new people are tested out during winter, but most of hte times the drivers are there as well teh test drivers do more laps though (i think)

just for curiousity and no offense meant but is this your first season of watching F1???

ok thanks, no ive been watching F1 for quite some time, just never been into as much technical things as i am into now. there was a period where i lost touch with it all together.

even so, i've never paid a lot of intention to the winter break, before the advent of the internet, getting news about that in the US was pretty difficult :)

no offense taken my friend

Its normally the test drivers, the main race drivers don't normally start working on them till at least after the new year normally

The only exceptions would be if a driver is new to the team. That usually means the new race driver will be in the car all winter. I would not be surprised to see Kimi and Alonso in their new cars this year.

woohhooo as im now living close to the place most temas do thrie winter testing (circuit de catalunya) i cna go watch all the winter testing for FREE anywhere in the circuit - even better is that its on for sooo many weekends over the break, so when you lot are having F1 withdrawl symptoms ill be getting my fix :clap3:

The only exceptions would be if a driver is new to the team. That usually means the new race driver will be in the car all winter. I would not be surprised to see Kimi and Alonso in their new cars this year.

if this is, as i suspect, true any offers from non-Alonso fans to shoot him & give someone else a chance at the WDC - KR id shoot for free :P

A spokeswoman for Formula One's sole tyre supplier has denied suggestions that the first test of the winter period may have to be called off or curtailed.

Despite announcing on Monday the signing of contracts with the six formerly Michelin shod teams, rumours this week hinted that Bridgestone was struggling to put together enough tyres for the three-day test scheduled for Barcelona at the end of this month.

Bridgestone only agreed recently to supply the extra test, after some outfits expressed concern that two Jerez sessions in December was not enough post-season running.

"All of our partners will have tyres (at the Barcelona test)," the Bridgestone spokeswoman reportedly told Auto Bild.

Speculation persists, however, that Bridgestone has not managed to construct enough development tyres in its proposed 2007 design to fully supply the November test.

Hinting that chiefly irrelevant 2006-specification tyres may therefore have to be used at Barcelona, an unnamed Bridgestone worker explained: "We were engaged for too long in the (2006) title fight."

Hi everyone, this is my first post on the forum and I have never been to a Grand Prix. I am looking to start going next season.

My question is, will any testing be taking place in the UK and is it possible to attend?

Hi everyone, this is my first post on the forum and I have never been to a Grand Prix. I am looking to start going next season.

My question is, will any testing be taking place in the UK and is it possible to attend?

I think there are testing days in England (not sure which track) and you are allowed to attend. Hopefully a English member will beable to answer your question in more detail.

Hello new person and welcome to the forums. As far as I'm aware there are only tests at Silverstone in the UK, and some straightline testing at Bruntingthorpe. Not sure about access for the public.

Welcome AyrtonNumber1, hopefully you will stick around and enjoy the forum... Particularly when things start to kick off near the start of the season.

Thanks Wez, I can't wait. Have been watching F1 on the tele since I was about 12. I'm 29 now and want to realise my dream and go to a Grand Prix. Will have to be as a spectator instead of a driver though :(

Welcome Ayrtonnumber1, enjoy your stay.

Back on topic, BMW Sauber had already cancelled one november test because there were no Bridgestones available, even though Bridgestone had said they would supply tyres earlier.

Will kimi or alonso test for mclaren in november/ decmber???

As far as I know, Alonso's Renault contract ends on 31 December only...

Back on topic, BMW Sauber had already cancelled one november test because there were no Bridgestones available, even though Bridgestone had said they would supply tyres earlier.

Im worried Bridgestone are going to favour their "loyal teams" over the new comers next season.

A definate problem for Mclaren, Renault and co is that they will have a lot less data on the tires per track than Ferrari, Toyota and so on.

Im worried Bridgestone are going to favour their "loyal teams" over the new comers next season.

A definate problem for Mclaren, Renault and co is that they will have a lot less data on the tires per track than Ferrari, Toyota and so on.

Im worried aswell as Bridgestone do have a history of favouring some teams over others.

Im worried aswell as Bridgestone do have a history of favouring some teams over others.

Indeed... A certain red team...

Since when has favouring Ferrari ever bothered the FIA? :P