Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Player(1)

2007 Mclaren

http://formula-1.updatesport.com/news/arti...lonso/view.html

McLaren has designed its 2007 car to suit Fernando Alonso's unique driving style.

The Spaniard's countryman, 2006 test and race driver Pedro de la Rosa, made the revelation in the Madrid based newspaper 'Marca'.

"They have designed mostly the front suspension with Fernando in their minds," de la Rosa said.

25-year-old Alonso, F1's newly back to back world champion for Renault, is noted for having one of the most distinctively aggressive driving styles -- particularly on corner turn-in.

De la Rosa, who is hoping to occupy the full time seat alongside Alonso next year, also said Alonso 'uses the brakes very hard'.

Pretty clear indication McLaren are going to try for the "Ferrari built around MS" approach. More good times ahead :clap3:

Defenitely good news for Alonso.Give McClaren a few years and they could be back to former glory :D

NOT good news. I had hoped for a neutral car that could suit both Alonso and Hamilton. No real worries, though, as I believe Hamilton can work with the car anyhow. He'll adapt (something the 'old dog' Fisico could not do).

NOT good news. I had hoped for a neutral car that could suit both Alonso and Hamilton. No real worries, though, as I believe Hamilton can work with the car anyhow. He'll adapt (something the 'old dog' Fisico could not do).

McLaren always built their car around Mika and as a result Coulthard had to change his natural driving style. I imagine Renault did they same thing for their 2006 car and GF was forced to drive car which wasnt designed for him. Unfortunatly it is always the way with formula 1.

McLaren always built their car around Mika and as a result Coulthard had to change his natural driving style. I imagine Renault did they same thing for their 2006 car and GF was forced to drive car which wasnt designed for him. Unfortunatly it is always the way with formula 1.

Actually, in a 2001 interview with DC in F1 Racing, DC was asked about this. He said that Alex Wurz had been lying a bit when he said the car suited him [Alex] because it was more like his and Mika's style. DC stated that the car was very neutral and suited both him [DC] and Mika. Wurz' comments were a way, according to DC, to put himself [Wurz] in the same league as a World Champion.

In 2003, the car was more 'pointy' according to DC so it suited Kimi more than him.

So the R26 is either a neutral car or else Flavio talking up Fifi to challenge/take the 2006 title was just motivational to get him to be a better 2nd driver? I'm undecided

So the R26 is either a neutral car or else Flavio talking up Fifi to challenge/take the 2006 title was just motivational to get him to be a better 2nd driver? I'm undecided

AFAIK, last year's Renault was neutral, but evolved into a car more suited to Fernando as the year progressed. With the success of the mass dampers in the later '05 races, the 2006 car was then designed around the mass damper concept (which suited Fernando more than Fisico). When the mass dampers were removed, the car then suited Fisico more than Alonso until the front was made a bit pointier again a few races later.

I think the point here was, that Fernando's unique driving style need a car specially designed for him. For sure it doesn't fit Hamilton or any other driver. So it's not question about Mika or anyone else, but only Fernando, because his style differs really so much.

I think the point here was, that Fernando's unique driving style need a car specially designed for him. For sure it doesn't fit Hamilton or any other driver. So it's not question about Mika or anyone else, but only Fernando, because his style differs really so much.

That remains to be seen. I feel that Hamilton will adjust to it.

Dont you think you are all jumping the gun abit. McLaren have not confirmed their 2nd driver and it is just as likely that Pedro will retain his position within the team.

Dont you think you are all jumping the gun abit. McLaren have not confirmed their 2nd driver and it is just as likely that Pedro will retain his position within the team.

Ron is a legend. I have faith in him to do the right thing and put Hamilton in the race seat. Mclaren aren't going to move forward with de la rosa as race driver. Plus he's about 36 now

Your constant attempt to try to create this rumour is pathetically failing.

1. ofcourse every driver does better with a car designed for their driving style.

2. on his journey to his first f1 championship he has already shown plenty of ability to adapt to the car. He's earned the status for a team to build around him, it dosent change history though no matter how much you cry.

3. Alonso has said he dosent understand why people think F1 is too easy these days because the feel of the car can change from 1 lap to another (everyone knows the tires are so optimised to temprature ranges which would cause this by themselves and many other drivers have talked of car's changing in such ways) and he is known to be faster over a race distance then anyone else (knowing when to push, conservering tyres until then, being consistant and not making mistakes) and not just for a couple like others that get fastest laps which means he is performing better then others in varying conditions over a race distance.

With all the testing work Wurz has done for Williams, I think the car will be designed around his driving style.

EDIT: Made the post readable (I must have been drunk when I wrote it the first time...).

Could we be wrong, could Ron go in for an experienced lapdog, though I would guess Lewis will be quite willing to act as the lapdog for his rookie year :eusa_think:

Your constant attempt to try to create this rumour is pathetically failing.

1. ofcourse every driver does better with a car designed for their driving style.

2. on his journey to his first f1 championship he has already shown plenty of ability to adapt to the car. He's earned the status for a team to build around him, it dosent change history though no matter how much you cry.

3. Alonso has said he dosent understand why people think F1 is too easy these days because the feel of the car can change from 1 lap to another (everyone knows the tires are so optimised to temprature ranges which would cause this by themselves and many other drivers have talked of car's changing in such ways) and he is known to be faster over a race distance then anyone else (knowing when to push, conservering tyres until then, being consistant and not making mistakes) and not just for a couple like others that get fastest laps which means he is performing better then others in varying conditions over a race distance.

If you mean with rumour about his different driving style, it is not my invention, just read the article.

And when you say that he is known to keep his performance during the races, well, I think we all remember also from this season situations, when the car hasn't been perfect for Fernando, and his performance has dropped really dramatically (I don't mean like half a second, but more like five seconds per lap).

I think the point of this news was, that the same way Fisico suffered last year about the extraordinary Renault car setup, Hamilton is going to suffer next year. Just wait and see.

Or at least we have to see first at least one season, when Fernando AND his team mate can be fast with the same car. We haven't seen that yet, but maybe Hamilton can do it, who knows.

That said, Alonso is great driver anyway, of course.

Oh, or maybe next season's Mclaren doesn't fit anybody's driving style. :P

Could we be wrong, could Ron go in for an experienced lapdog, though I would guess Lewis will be quite willing to act as the lapdog for his rookie year :eusa_think:

Actually, I think you're right about Hamilton wanting to learn from Alonso. Smart move.

If you mean with rumour about his different driving style, it is not my invention, just read the article.

Alonso does have a different driving style. I'm not sure how much influence that will ultimately have on the car.

And when you say that he is known to keep his performance during the races, well, I think we all remember also from this season situations, when the car hasn't been perfect for Fernando, and his performance has dropped really dramatically (I don't mean like half a second, but more like five seconds per lap).

On itv-f1.com there was a comparison of Alonso's 2005 and 2006 seasons. It proved Alonso's consistency. Also, in an issue of F1 Racing Pat Symmonds was quoted as saying Fernando was very consistent (included in that article were statistics showing this). It is quite accepted that Alonso is consistent.

I think the point of this news was, that the same way Fisico suffered last year about the extraordinary Renault car setup, Hamilton is going to suffer next year. Just wait and see.

That isn't clear to me at all. Fisico has a different driving style than Hamilton or Alonso. Fisico has the most unique driving style on the grid and it's very possible that something about how the Renault handles affected him. This does not mean that Hamilton, Pedro or even Paffett will be affected the same way. I would give Hamilton and Paffett a better chance of sorting the car than Pedro or Fisico simply because they are younger and have had less time to refine their driving styles.

Or at least we have to see first at least one season, when Fernando AND his team mate can be fast with the same car. We haven't seen that yet, but maybe Hamilton can do it, who knows.

That said, Alonso is great driver anyway, of course.

:clap3: Objectivity at last! ;)

Oh, or maybe next season's Mclaren doesn't fit anybody's driving style. :P

<_<

They're building a car to suit their lead driver? No Shiit? Soon they'll be putting pedals in that are condusive with foot operation, seats that are 'human' shaped and wheels that have no sides on them, making them 'circular'.

This Macca sound cutting edge.

If they feel Alonso is the more likely of the 2 to win the WDC theyre bound to adapt the car to him, however they can still make setup changes to make them suitable for the other drivers.

They're building a car to suit their lead driver? No Shiit? Soon they'll be putting pedals in that are condusive with foot operation, seats that are 'human' shaped and wheels that have no sides on them, making them 'circular'.

This Macca sound cutting edge.

*sniff, sniff* I smell sarcasm.... :eusa_think:

And your point is??? I smell bullsh!t.....

And your point is??? I smell bullsh!t.....

Don't worry even if he ment that as an insult it's actually would be a comment on how far a team would value Alonso meaning his worth more effort then any other driver...but your right it is complete bulls##t thats been proven wrong before.