Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Player(1)

Brundle Comparing Driving Style's

I'll look at the vid a bit later, but I must say that Brundle has always got Alonso's style wrong. I will correct him after I see what he has to say this time ;)

Blitz, I love your avatar! Good job!

I love the aggressive turn in of FA. It looks awesome on TV. One thing has me puzzled however is how FA / Renault dont suffer from excessive front tyre wear.

I love the aggressive turn in of FA. It looks awesome on TV. One thing has me puzzled however is how FA / Renault dont suffer from excessive front tyre wear.

very very awkard style, looks pretty clumsy to me, he depends alot on the car, whilst Mclaren having to alter their earo package for 2007.... But take Kimi for instance, smoothness personified, he will make any designer look good, one of only a few drivers that look that way....

very very awkard style, looks pretty clumsy to me, he depends alot on the car, whilst Mclaren having to alter their earo package for 2007.... But take Kimi for instance, smoothness personified, he will look any designer look good, one of only a few drivers that look that way....

really? not only did he beat Kimi with a slower car last year but he was handicapped by his driving style aswell? wow you've opened my eyes....Alonso did even a better job in my mind now ;)

Wouldnt surprise me in the least if Hamilton and other young drivers start to emulate Alonso's style because it clearly gets the job done especially when defending. Oh and having a slippy rear end and locking your fronts ala Kimi/Schumacher sounds the more awkard to me even if it is typical karting style...anyone tell them they have a diff now?

Note: Remind me to transcribe Peter Windsor's article about Alonso's driving style sometime.

really? not only did he beat Kimi with a slower car last year but he was handicapped by his driving style aswell? wow you've opened my eyes....Alonso did even a better job in my mind now ;)

:lol::lol::lol::clap3:

I was comparing driving styles you i...t.!!!! Obviously it works for Alonso together with his dependence on a heavier front suspension, but it's an looks an awkward style... do you grasp it now, or do I need to explains things further???

Wouldnt surprise me in the least if Hamilton and other young drivers start to emulate Alonso's style because it clearly gets the job done especially when defending. Oh and having a slippy rear end and locking your fronts ala Kimi/Schumacher sounds the more awkard to me even if it is typical karting style...anyone tell them they have a diff now?

Note: Remind me to transcribe Peter Windsor's article about Alonso's driving style sometime.

I certainly agree with the Karting analogy Player 1, and on that subject, one of the great things about Karts is that they allow you to drive with your own driving-style preference (easy to set a Kart up in many ways) - and they all have advantages and dissadvantages at times. Maybe if you've been through the ranks driving with a fixed style over the years, those that struggle to adapt to the technology of F1 are shown up as worse than they actually are? Who knows...

Personally I thought they were all great to watch, and I would love to have seen Massa's style now, compared to the eratic steering input he used to have (allegedly?)

One thought though, I can't help thinking that of the three styles shown, who would be the worst to suffer if /when traction control was banned?

Another thinks.... I reckon Button suffers from some critiscism due to his un-spectacular driving style. As in: 'he's not quick 'cos he's not leary'. Which I wouldn't agree with by the way :P

One thought though, I can't help thinking that of the three styles shown, who would be the worst to suffer if /when traction control was banned?

Well certainly Button would suffer the least. As to the rest, obviously if Alonso is pushing the car through the corner, then I wouldn't expect him to suffer too much without TC. Kimi and Michael would probably suffer the most with the former probably suffering just a wee bit more given his relatively jerkier style.

As to karting - how do you drive a kart that pushes fast? As f ar as I'm concerned, the more push the slower it goes...

As to karting - how do you drive a kart that pushes fast? As f ar as I'm concerned, the more push the slower it goes...

True, but snap oversteer kills momentum if you're kart has a viscous clutch. I'd rather run understeer in those circumstances.

Well certainly Button would suffer the least. As to the rest, obviously if Alonso is pushing the car through the corner, then I wouldn't expect him to suffer too much without TC. Kimi and Michael would probably suffer the most with the former probably suffering just a wee bit more given his relatively jerkier style.

Im hopeing that DC is still in F1 in 2008 when TC is banned because i believe he will be able to adapt better than most other drivers as he has a very smooth driving style and has experiance driving a formula 1 car without traction control.

True, but snap oversteer kills momentum if you're kart has a viscous clutch. I'd rather run understeer in those circumstances.

Provided it's predictable, I've never had any oversteer that I couldn't cope with and my experience at the wheel of a kart includes a number of races in the rain on slicks. As to understeer, there's really no way that I know of to deal with it without reducing speed, inclusive of counter-steering and trail braking. Maybe you know something I don't? :eusa_think:

Im hopeing that DC is still in F1 in 2008 when TC is banned because i believe he will be able to adapt better than most other drivers as he has a very smooth driving style and has experiance driving a formula 1 car without traction control.

Shut up about DC already, for Christ's sake...

The day i start caring about what you think is the day that The Pope admitts that god doesnt exist.

A point to remember when considering how each driver will fare without TC...all of them progressed up through the lower series, many of them from F3000, and most won races and even championships there. AFAIK, there was no TC in F3000. I would expect most of the top-flight drivers to adapt pretty quickly.

It's been my experience that most understeer drivers cannot understand how to go fast with oversteer and vice-versa. Personally, I see an understeer driver going only as fast has his car/kart will allow whereas an oversteer driver can push beyond the car's limit and trust his instincts to correct anything that goes wrong. Simplistic explanation, but it will do, I suppose ;)

Its much easier to be consistent with understeer though, surely?

Oversteer can too easily trip you up especially if your having it anywhere near the exit, you just won't be able to get on the power... So one slight mistake and you'll screw a lap up.

Its much easier to be consistent with understeer though, surely?

Oversteer can too easily trip you up especially if your having it anywhere near the exit, you just won't be able to get on the power... So one slight mistake and you'll screw a lap up.

Agreed. This is why most classical driving schools will teach you to be an understeer driver, not an oversteer one. The best oversteer drivers are the ones who can go over that edge, lap after lap, like Michael, Mika, and a few others. The worst are erratic, like Narain and Sato; fast on occasion, but mostly erratic.

Provided it's predictable, I've never had any oversteer that I couldn't cope with and my experience at the wheel of a kart includes a number of races in the rain on slicks. As to understeer, there's really no way that I know of to deal with it without reducing speed, inclusive of counter-steering and trail braking. Maybe you know something I don't? :eusa_think:

Karting in the rain is far more predictable (and fun :P ) than the dry, in my experience. I wasn't saying that understeer was faster, merely that speed can be lost if the engine gets bogged down by the inherent qualities of a viscous clutch. (Do your karts have these or a conventional clutch?)

Whilst i too hate understeer i don't think it is slower than oversteer. Although with the former the nose is being pushed away from the apex, with the latter, the tail is. Without stating the obvious to a seasoned hand, anything other than perfect balance and anything introducing an element of scrub that isn't always pushing you forwards is of course slower.

I've only ever raced karts without a clutch of any kind, therefore you do have to deal with the inherent push that a fixed axle gives. Of all I've seen I'd say MS is the most 'classical' in dealing with this - and of course it depends on the type of corner we're talking about.

But being simplistic, if there's heavy-ish breaking involved you will trail brake, easing off right to the apex with immediate power from being off the brakes. The idea is to scrub off the speed you need before the apex, so a small degree of slip is perfect up to the apex, any after the apex is generally slow. The most satisfying way of killing understeer is with a perfectly timed flick to the apex, un-weighting the rear just long enough to get the nose in.

For high speed bends you will have a tiny bit of understeer, but oversteer is bad news on faster bends. Weird, many really love oversteer (myself included) but the only place you need bucket-fulls of it is most loose surface stuff.

Yup, driving in the wet is the best! All of the above still applies, it's just that if you're on the limit your underwear fills up faster :blink: Understeer is pretty easy to kill on a Kart compared to cars, one of the reasons being that the power to weight ratio is permanently changing - most of the weight being your body, which is why you'll see most karters leaning their head (the one on the shoulders ;) ) and more body weight to the outside of the bend when it's wet, odd technique, but certainly seems to help the outside tyres bite better.

The odd play on clutched Karts puts the onus on 'smooth', the clutch is a damned nuisance and 'kills the moment' of the normal karting techniques - mind you, there's so much viscous clutch karting about now that maybe it teaches more about using a smoother technique.....

Sorry I'm not so clued up in these things. What is understeer and what is oversteer?

Understeer - The front of the car pushes (understeers) away from the corner apex and the driver has to turn in sharply.

Oversteer - The back of the car pushes out (oversteers) and you effectively are turning too sharply through the corner and the driver has to re-correct and opposite lock the steering wheel.

*Sorry, I dont know if that makes sense, its hard to describe B)

understeer is lack of fron end Grip ,which causes the car to "Under-Steer"

over steer is just the opposite,surplus front end grip :)

Understeer - The front of the car pushes (understeers) away from the corner apex and the driver has to turn in sharply.

Oversteer - The back of the car pushes out (oversteers) and you effectively are turning too sharply through the corner and the driver has to re-correct and opposite lock the steering wheel.

*Sorry, I dont know if that makes sense, its hard to describe B)

understeer is lack of fron end Grip ,which causes the car to "Under-Steer"

over steer is just the opposite,surplus front end grip :)

Not quite :)