Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

narain fan

Barrichello To Push For 'Change' At Honda

arrichello to push for 'change' at Honda

Brazilian veteran aiming to be heard in 2007

01/11/06 13:55

Zoom

30 points for Barrichello and 56 for Button in '06

Rubens Barrichello, while effectively blaming the Japanese marque for his mediocre season, has vowed to push for 'change' at Honda in 2007.

The Brazilian spent six years as Michael Schumacher's team-mate at Ferrari, but struggled with his new car after switching to Honda and failed to reach the podium this season.

Barrichello told Italian magazine Autosprint: "Here we do too much PR and we think too little about driving. I'm fighting to change this situation."

The 34-year-old hit out specifically at the Honda car's inferior traction control system and says he spent too much time working to improve it.

Barrichello also struggled to adapt after developing an unique braking setup at Ferrari, and criticised Brackley based Honda for not listening to his requests for changes.

He said: "They didn't want to change the system. Besides, you know, you can't just arrive in a new team and start beating your fists on the table to impose your will. Now that I'm more accustomed, I can do that."

Source GMM

arrichello to push for 'change' at Honda

Brazilian veteran aiming to be heard in 2007

01/11/06 13:55

Zoom

30 points for Barrichello and 56 for Button in '06

Barrichello also struggled to adapt after developing an unique braking setup at Ferrari, and criticised Brackley based Honda for not listening to his requests for changes.

He said: "They didn't want to change the system. Besides, you know, you can't just arrive in a new team and start beating your fists on the table to impose your will. Now that I'm more accustomed, I can do that."

Source GMM

I expect Barrichello to do better vs Button next year as he's had a year to settle in. Drivers must find it very frustrating when they are expected to be fast but when they want to tailor the car so they can do just that they encounter resistance from the team. JV at Sauber in 2005 had that problem. I like Reubens, he waved to me when I yelled at him in the drivers parade in Montreal 1999-he seems like a good guy :) .

^_^ Well that made me smile. It's obviously the car and team at fault if I can't beat my team mate............ How many times have we heard that one?

He does have a point regarding the style over substance thing, though, I'll give him that.

I expected this after previous excuses from him. He said during the season Honda had fixed the problem he had with the braking and all of a sudden at the end of the season history is rewritten and they didn't...

Nothing about needing a year to fit in, Button beat Jacques in his first season when the car had been tailored to Jacques. This is just excuses from Rubens, instead of holding his hand up and saying that he underperformed.

:lol: love the way how Honda fell behind on development mid season cos barrichello was getting what he wanted and the car imo was suffering hence their mid season slump. He claimed they had solved the problems he had but now they never did, make your mind uo mate!

First of all define was the meaning of beaten: Button scored more points than Jacques in his first season but Jacques was in front during many races and the engine blown up! Did you see 2006 qualy stats? Button 9 vs. Barrichelo 9. So who is the faster? Button scored more points, so maybe he is a better driver or more consistent but faster? Heidfield 5 vs. Jacques 7. Heidfield is faster? Heidfield scored more points. Is he a better driver? Don

[quote name='Argento' post='151465' date='Nov 1 2006, 06:45 PM']First of all define was the meaning of beaten:[/quote]

When you both finish, you are ahead of your team mate 3 times out of the 4. (Jenson - Jacques)

And when you score almost double the points of your team mate despite mechanical problems around twice as much as your team mate (Jenson 3-5 Rubens in races, plus blow up in practice for Jenson)

Barrichello is always crying about something, its never his fault, always someone else's.

He'll do it next year to, when he is beaten again.

Barrichello is always crying about something, its never his fault, always someone else's.

yes he should learn the art of losing with grace from sato .scoring jus y1 point to jenson's 300. :rolleyes2:

Somethings never change...

yes he should learn the art of losing with grace from sato .scoring jus y1 point to jenson's 300. :rolleyes2:

I'm sure he'll learn it as soon as you learn to count. (this being never, of course.)

When Rubens left Ferrari he wanted to prove he was ready to be first driver on a team. That's what he thought he could find on Honda. He proved himself wrong, and now doesn't want to admit it. He made the wrong choice... He had much more future as 2nd driver in Ferrari then now. He said he was tired of having to obbey the team to help Michael, but if he had waited one more year... Schumi'd be gone. Now he's lost it and there's no turning back. I'm sad for him... I would expect more this last season...

I would expect more this last season...

Me too, he was the disappointment of the season for me. Thought he'd be very motivated in a new team to finally up his pace and show the world of F1 why he is a good driver in his own right. Instead he's looked pretty unimpressive and inconsistent, mix that up with his excuses and it doesn't look good. :(

He needs to be pretty even with Button next year IMO to justify his comments.

Me too, he was the disappointment of the season for me. Thought he'd be very motivated in a new team to finally up his pace and show the world of F1 why he is a good driver in his own right. Instead he's looked pretty unimpressive and inconsistent, mix that up with his excuses and it doesn't look good. :(

He needs to be pretty even with Button next year IMO to justify his comments.

What he says is true, even though he is whining about it. He was trying to get the team to make the car more like he was used to at Ferrari. I don't see that as a bad thing; certainly the Honda would be a better car if it emulated the Ferrari a bit, no? I would argue that what the team learned about TC from Rubens, helped Button as well. I've noticed on the onboards that the last few races Button has been leaning on the TC a bit more than he was at the season's start (and getting better results, too).

Kay has a mighty good point, too. If Rubens cannot match Button, then he needs to be shelved.

Interesting point Mike.

Personally I suspect Honda will be pushing for a change from Barrichello. He was well and trully trounced. Read the start of the Jenson Rules thread in the cafe to see a detailed analysis. Then read on to see why its in the cafe. No doubt he'll get a bit closer next year but I think Jenson will generally beat him. Re qualy: one gets points for finishing, not qualifying these days.

Ok, not too much to say about this subject, really, but for some irrational reasons (one of them, I'm sure is that Rubens is from Brazil) I kinda like the guy. Even when he raced for Ferrari. I just find interesting how strongly our own biasing modifies our perceptions. I think almost no one would rank Rubens above Felipinho nowadays, even when Rubens performed as flawlessly as Massa did at Interlagos many times in the past, racing for Ferrari. If the current Barrichello is the same guy that raced for Ferrari in the past (meaning, this isn't his evil twin) I think that the dip in performance must really be more related to the car-driver connection than to the actual driving skill of Rubens. Now, if that is caused because the Honda team did not a good job or because Rubens failed at adapting is an entirely different matter. But I would not doubt of Rubens driving skills, at least no more than I would doubt about Massa's.

ppl were talking abt coming into new teams as no excuse. i disagree, coming from a top team to a mid field team will be a bigger challenge than coming from a mid field to a big team, like the TC thingferrari probably had level 10 and honda maybe just had level 6 so it will take time to get accustommed to it. i think 07 will be a better year for barri.

I would argue that what the team learned about TC from Rubens, helped Button as well. I've noticed on the onboards that the last few races Button has been leaning on the TC a bit more than he was at the season's start (and getting better results, too).

Indeed, perhaps leaning too far though if his TC-free qualifying effort in Brazil was any indication... Seems Jenson relies on TC a bit more than many people around here would let on.

Yep, Monza is correct and several have acknowledged that his lap was pretty brilliant considering the problem.

As for being in a new team, it isn't an excuse a full year later, it was an excuse it Bahrain, Malaysia and Aus and perhaps Imola, but after that, it was up to him to produce the goods.

I really can't see the use in these comments, it looks like he's shot himself in the foot, as Honda are going to be less willing to work 100% with him if they think he'll criticise and blame them.

Jenson seems to get better every year so I expect Barrichello to slump even further next year

Jenson has plateaued and will not get any better. It is all down hill from here.

Jenson has plateaued and will not get any better. It is all down hill from here.
thatts rubbish,i expect him to get better and peak somewhere in 08-09 perhaps if it coincides with an improvement from honda,he will be wdc :) .

thatts rubbish,i expect him to get better and peak somewhere in 08-09 perhaps if it coincides with an improvement from honda,he will be wdc :) .

What have you been smoking?