Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shane2

2 Race Engine Rule... Fair Or Not?

2 Race Engine Rule... Fair Or Not?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Is the 2 Race Engine Rule Fair

• Yes
    • No
    • The rule is fair but i think the FIA should punish the teams, not the drivers if one fails

What do you think? I personally think it is unfair

me too.

It's 1 of the most stupid rules in the history of F1....

Just imagine how the season would be without two week engine rule.

Drivers would push its cars to the limit in every race.

even though it probabbly reduces the ammount of cash used by a bit, it isn't worth drivers conserving their revs when they have a huge lead.

me too.

It's 1 of the most stupid rules in the history of F1....

Just imagine how the season would be without two week engine rule.

Drivers would push its cars to the limit in every race.

I AGREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The rule is fair because it applies to all teams equally. I don't agree with it, but it's part of the game now. If you penalise the team instead of the driver, why not penalise the engine manufacturer? So if Williams blow an engine then Toyota take the penalty? After all, they made the thing. I don't see a change in the rules any time soon.

I HATE this f*cking stupid rule. What we viewers want is a fresh 20000 rpm engine for every race, so that the drivers can concentrate on balls out racing . I hate FIA's stupid rules. If they are so worried about safety ,why not ban F1 altogether? I am extremely unhappy about the way FIA is going. I am unhappy that FIA is deaf to real F1 fans. I miss the days before 2005.

The rule is fair because it applies to all teams equally. I don't agree with it, but it's part of the game now. If you penalise the team instead of the driver, why not penalise the engine manufacturer? So if Williams blow an engine then Toyota take the penalty? After all, they made the thing. I don't see a change in the rules any time soon.

can't argue with that so can't vote no.

Would vote yes but only if "but i'd still prefare shorter life engines".

Punishing the team instead of the driver for a failure....really don't understand that one at all.

Yes comes closest because it is by definition fair and I do enjoy seeing drivers having to think, sorts the men from the boys.

By that i meant giving some kind of penalty to the team, not the driver

It's fair but frustrating. I would have personally preferred cost cutting measure being implemented in other areas first before this one.

Apart from the driver and the chassis, the engine is one of the most important aspects of any team or car and probably of Formula One itself. To restrict it is to deal a blow to our sport right where it hurts. My biggest problem with the rule is, as many have said already, that it encourages strategic conservation and that's bad for the spectacle.

What like a fine?

The best idea i could think of, was adding a certain amount of time to the race, say 15-20s for example, and giving the driver the points he finishes with, and the team the points they get with the time adjustment added

I voted "it's fair" and I am glad I was not the only one! I think it's fair, Monza explained it quite well. I also think that sometimes it is boring to see guys turning revs down, but if they allowed aerodynamic changes so cars can surpass each other again like the old days, the 2 race engine rule would perfectly balance flat out speed with strategic planning. I would find that much better than today's rules. I know current rules improved safety so much (remember when every season at least one person died?) but if it is all about safety I'd rather watch a chess championship any day.

This is a tough one, I voted fair but the FIA should penalise the teams not the drivers for a engine change. Nothing worst than seeing a good battle for the title being taken away from a driver because he has a shocking engine.

I'm sure that Kimi will back me up on this one :D

I believe its a stupid rule as well and we are missing out some fine races because of it!It doesn't seem to serve its cost-cutting purposes as well so I think its really a shame that it exists!

the rule is fair, everyone is stuck with it, it aplies to all...

after all its some what of a team sport?

now if i agree with the rule well that's another topic...

the rule is fair, everyone is stuck with it, it aplies to all...

after all its some what of a team sport?

now if i agree with the rule well that's another topic...

Completely agreed with. I think the rule is fair in the sense Gold pointed out, but i don't really agree with it, especially when it's not a driver's fault that their engine blows yet they're punished for it. Comes back to an issue earlier in the season, one driver being punished for doing something questionable was on the grid ahead of somebody who had innocently blown an Engine. I think it could have been the Schumey, Alonso, Button thing at Hungary.

I'm tired of railing against the FIA. I'm going to take a neutral stance and see what happens next season. In theory, we should see less engine blow-ups and perhaps a levelling-off of speeds, both of which are, I'm told, good things. -_-

Does anybody else realize, that F1 is a team sport? What's with this "punish the team, not the driver" bulls##t? Drivers are a part of the team...

And yes, I guess it's fair, although I wouldn't agree with it.

It's fair but frustrating. I would have personally preferred cost cutting measure being implemented in other areas first before this one.

Apart from the driver and the chassis, the engine is one of the most important aspects of any team or car and probably of Formula One itself. To restrict it is to deal a blow to our sport right where it hurts. My biggest problem with the rule is, as many have said already, that it encourages strategic conservation and that's bad for the spectacle.

I see no reason why a manufacturer has to spend $100M a year on engine development only to throw away engines after each race. This rule brings back a little bit of the sanity back to the paddock and make things a little bit more even for all. As long as the rule is the same for all teams, its fair. wake up to the reality, F1 is more a business now than a sport, face it! A poorly run business would go belly up and F1 is no exception....I rather have these little rules to keep the spending in check and keep F1 in the green......(how these rules get implemented is another story for another debate)....

The best idea i could think of, was adding a certain amount of time to the race, say 15-20s for example, and giving the driver the points he finishes with, and the team the points they get with the time adjustment added

well from 2007 onwards, an engine change will result in a weight penalty rather than a grid penalty which I think is fair and will make it more interesting as it will allow us to compare team mates. Imagine seeing Alonso with a weight penalty lapping old dog sissy-chella!

By that i meant giving some kind of penalty to the team, not the driver

(= Yeah ! This is my answer too. Exactly.

Team could have half (1/2) points to the Team Standings.

And slow teams could change engines (and gearboxes) every race without any penalty.

In case they finishing out of points.

(= Yes. Just adding must be at least 30s+ or 60s max ...

I see no reason why a manufacturer has to spend $100M a year on engine development only to throw away engines after each race. This rule brings back a little bit of the sanity back to the paddock and make things a little bit more even for all. As long as the rule is the same for all teams, its fair. wake up to the reality, F1 is more a business now than a sport, face it! A poorly run business would go belly up and F1 is no exception....I rather have these little rules to keep the spending in check and keep F1 in the green......(how these rules get implemented is another story for another debate)....

well from 2007 onwards, an engine change will result in a weight penalty rather than a grid penalty which I think is fair and will make it more interesting as it will allow us to compare team mates.

(= Agreed with all except last "humor" (deleted) ...

The cost of the materials and energy that go into manufacturing the engines are miniscule in comparison to the design and development costs... With this in mind, it comes as no surprise that having the engine's last longer hasn't reduced costs much at all. In fact, Steve Matchett made the case that the new rules actually increased costs in the short term. If you want proof, just go look at the budgets for the past season which have been reported recently. You'll see they are higher accross the board which comes as no surprise given the logic I have explained.

The most recent rule changes which 'freeze' engine development will reduce costs substantially but they're also draconian and do significant damage to the sport IMO. I Think the time is ripe for another series to become the fastest series in the world and at that point, F1 will have lost its appeal for me.

If the FIA were sensible about reducing costs, they would limit testing and aero development as I have suggested inumerable times on this forum but appears they have other motives in mind. No surprise there either.

I see no reason why a manufacturer has to spend $100M a year on engine development only to throw away engines after each race.

If they want to spend themselves silly, have at it. Corporations spending money stimulates the economy. It's disgusting to me that a sport's governing body is trying to stick it's fingers into how a private company spends it's earned profits.

This rule brings back a little bit of the sanity back to the paddock and make things a little bit more even for all. As long as the rule is the same for all teams, its fair.

On the first sentence, I disagree with the 'sanity'. I think history has proven that insanity in F1 continues despite any rules implemented. Now you say 'more even for all'. That is a dangerous statement to be applied to Formula One, in my opinion. The whole idea of competition is to be the best, the winner, the one who tries harder, spends more time, money, effort than the rest. Formula One shouldn't ever be 'even for all'. You want that? I would humbly suggest GP2 is more to your tastes.....

wake up to the reality, F1 is more a business now than a sport, face it! A poorly run business would go belly up and F1 is no exception....

Whose reality? Yours? I don't accept your version of 'reality' as it applies to Formula One engine homologation. All racing has been a business and a sport, and it continues with that tradition. All the poor businesses I've seen in life have been strangled by the rules and laws an unthinking governing body imposes on it. Formula One is no exception.

I rather have these little rules to keep the spending in check and keep F1 in the green

I would not.

Formula 1 used to be about speed. Now it is about who can find the best way to overcome the restrictions placed by the FIA, which is just not IMO how it should be. Perhaps limiting all the engines to 19,000 RPM will nullify the effect of the 2 race rule somewhat, although i have a worry the sport's technical development may begin to stagnate after 2007