Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

goferrarigo

Kimi To Retire In 2009????

i know not the best source but a little speculation in off seaosn isn't too bad:

Kimi hints at F1 exit in 2009 - 11 November 2006

Kimi R

:kicking::yahoo:

Alonso also said earlier he would retire with 3 tittles, what are these new racers in it for, just the money no passion to stay on and drive like DC?

Alonso also said earlier he would retire with 3 tittles, what are these new racers in it for, just the money no passion to stay on and drive like DC?

What did he mean? drive on with no hope of ever seeing the top step again?

Sorry Ykick

Or the actual meaning which is he'd be happy with his career achievements if he won 3 WDC's to equal Senna before his retirement (late 20's or early 30's, said he wanted to do other things in life instead of carrying on in F1 into his late 30's)...not that he'd quit as soon as he won the 3rd.

Earlier earlier he said his ultimate goal was to win a WDC, he didnt quit after it.

Also wouldnt staying on to drive be just for the money rather then quitting when you've achieved it all and want a new challenge? Although I wouldnt say MS was in it for the money...he was just a 1 trick pony who prolonged the good times, he has no passion for racing unless its in a dominate Ferrari team which is pretty sad and lacks the racing spirit.

It's really as i said in another topic, younger drivers retire earlier simply because being introduced to the sport at such a tender age and succeeding plenty in such a space of time results in the driver giving up on it. I'd be dissapointed to see Raikkonen retire in 2009, not because i think he's such a talent or i'm going to miss him, but because Formula One has given him so much and he's not willing to give all of it back.

Kimi definenetly has talent for racing, but I guess he just doesn't want to make racing his life. I guess they as in Kimi and Alonso has other things that they want to do in life. For sure Kimi will win atlease one WDC title in life time and I guess he and Alonso just want to prove that they are the best at the pinacle of motorsport.

What did he mean? drive on with no hope of ever seeing the top step again?

Sorry Ykick

I will make you eat your words next year.

But drivers like DC do have alot of passion which i think Kimi is lacking. If DC wanted the easy way out he would have left F1 at the end of 2004 but against all the critics (and Cavallino) he joined Red Bull and he had a brilliant 2005 season.

It's really as i said in another topic, younger drivers retire earlier simply because being introduced to the sport at such a tender age and succeeding plenty in such a space of time results in the driver giving up on it. I'd be dissapointed to see Raikkonen retire in 2009, not because i think he's such a talent or i'm going to miss him, but because Formula One has given him so much and he's not willing to give all of it back.

i am yet to see an example of a young driver retiring early. i see it in may other sports, but am yet to see it in f1. this is just what people speculate will happen. who's to say that alonso, kimi and jenson et al won't be in f1 in their mid 30s?

i am yet to see an example of a young driver retiring early. i see it in may other sports, but am yet to see it in f1. this is just what people speculate will happen. who's to say that alonso, kimi and jenson et al won't be in f1 in their mid 30s?

I think Jenson will be in the sport for quite a long time, Raikkonen on the other hand ... i mean ... if you look at their attitudes when it comes to a race weekend - Raikkonen's "Too" calm, as though he doesn't care. Remember how ecstatic JB was to win at Hungary, where as Raikkonen's first win in that Malaysian GP was pretty somber with a small grin. In that sense, i just guess the next generation drivers don't have any feeling for it as a sport, just as a job.

It may very well be a psychological ploy to throw the likes of Alonso off kilter. On the other hand,it may very well be a simple statement. If he indeed does retire, I hope Schumi makes a come-back at the age of 40!

I wouldn't have thought that likely, Kimi doesn't really do the psychological gamesmanship

I wouldn't have thought that likely, Kimi doesn't really do the psychological gamesmanship

Nah that would require him to think. With his brain. :lol:

Do you actually have anything positive to say about any of the drivers still involved in F1?

i know not the best source but a little speculation in off seaosn isn't too bad:

hmm.. so he thinks mc laren will not be that great since he says in his last line.

kimi in one of his interviews (i read this in topgear, indian edition) has said that he would like to try rallying once he is finished with f1...no jokes!

Of course he wont retire in 2009, and he's not really hinting it either! The lengths that some journalists will go to to get a story!

Of course he wont retire in 2009, and he's not really hinting it either! The lengths that some journalists will go to to get a story!

I was gonna say something like that but "Perhaps this Ferrari contract is already my last" would point directly to the 3 year deal he is on now and not any future one so 2009 seems to be clearly indicated as his possible retirement.

It will be interesting to see if the average retirement age gets lower over the next few years. I suspect that after DC has gone, the average could come down to 33-35.

All sports are getting younger participants and putting pressure on the 'older' ones.

If Kimi fails to make an impact at Ferrari in the next two years, I can see his stock drop and he'll go the way of DC; a race-winner, a sometimes WDC contender, but could never complete the deal.