Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ctrl300

It's A Deal

FIA and car manufacturers agree F1 deal

By Alan Baldwin Wednesday, November 15th 2006, 09:50 GMT

Formula One's governing body and leading car manufacturers, who at one time threatened a breakaway series, have struck a deal to end a long battle over how the billion-dollar sport should be run.

International Automobile Federation (FIA) president Max Mosley and BMW's Burkhard Goeschel said agreement had been reached on all outstanding issues.

They told correspondents from four major European daily newspapers from Germany, Britain, France and Italy at a lunch in Munich on Tuesday that a new document would be drawn up and signed in the near future to govern the sport for at least the next five years.

Formula One's commercial supremo Bernie Ecclestone signed an agreement with the five-strong GPMA group - Renault, DaimlerChrysler, BMW, Honda and Toyota - last May.

That deal, concerning the financial side of the sport, effectively killed off any lingering threat of a so-called 'rival series' that had been mooted as manufacturers pressed for a far greater share of the revenues.

However, technical details and issues of governance, control of the regulatory process, had still to be agreed with the FIA although the ruling body announced in August that they and the GPMA were in "full agreement' about the future of the championship.

The existing 'Concorde Agreement' that governs the sport expires at the end of 2007 but all teams have committed for a further five years.

The Munich announcement emphasised the new-found harmony between both sides.

The Financial Times said both Mosley and Goeschel described the deal as "a major breakthrough, unquestionably a fundamental change in the way we go about managing the rules.

"We defined the objectives of road relevance, lower costs and social relevance and then we defined the rules," they added.

The paper said that individual team management, people such as McLaren boss Ron Dennis, would be bypassed in future and discussions about the rules would take place with the manufacturers at main board level.

All of the 11 current teams, due to expand to 12 in 2008, are currently either owned by a manufacturer or linked to one through an engine supply contract.

An FIA spokesman said the independent teams, such as Williams, would not lose out in the decision-making process, however.

"The FIA's role has always been to protect the independent teams and we will continue to do that," he said.

Mosley is keen to push Formula One towards a greener future, with the FIA mapping out an energy-saving revolution for the next five years.

The governing body has already announced a freeze on engine development from 2007 with the focus now on "modern and relevant technologies" to save energy and benefit the ordinary road user.

"We will make research work in F1 more road relevant," Mosley said on Tuesday.

"We will move F1 from the technology of the 20th century to that of the 21st century, to move away from F1 being labelled as a dinosaur.

"The tide of world opinion has just turned regarding global warming. With the changes we have made, we have caught the tide. If we had missed it, F1 could have become irrelevant."

www.autosport.com

Good riddance, lets get back to business. The only thing remaining now is the sudden death of Mr. Oswald Jr. and we are good to go!

Fools. They came to an agreement without first seeing the FIA's finalised rules. Idiots. They deserve the fleecing they will get.

Fools. They came to an agreement without first seeing the FIA's finalised rules. Idiots. They deserve the fleecing they will get.

I know, I predicted this but still, they gave in on every single thing, even the ones where I wanted them to prevail. The only concession they probably got was getting some more cash out of Bernie.

Global warming? Max's whole approach to the matter is wrong. It is very easy to rpely to anyone who alleges that F1 contributes to global warming. What doesn't? Every single thing we do is, and everything that isn't survival critical is unnecessary in that sense. Other sports? What about the olympics? hundreds of thousands of people gathering in one place to accomplish nothing. Art? Museums? Wasting all those fossil fuels to keep those huge buildings running and maintained? Close them, we want to prevent global warming. F1 and global warming, what a tenuous argument :(

I know, I predicted this but still, they gave in on every single thing, even the ones where I wanted them to prevail. The only concession they probably got was getting some more cash out of Bernie.

Global warming? Max's whole approach to the matter is wrong. It is very easy to rpely to anyone who alleges that F1 contributes to global warming. What doesn't? Every single thing we do is, and everything that isn't survival critical is unnecessary in that sense. Other sports? What about the olympics? hundreds of thousands of people gathering in one place to accomplish nothing. Art? Museums? Wasting all those fossil fuels to keep those huge buildings running and maintained? Close them, we want to prevent global warming. F1 and global warming, what a tenuous argument :(

Speak for yourself, I live in Canada where it tends to get cold in the winter and I'm in favour of global warming if at all possible and if my favourite sport contributes to this through the consumption of fossil fuels then I'm for that as well! In fact, I'm in favour of changes that would bring even greater fuel consumption like larger engines, higher average speeds and longer races just to name a few, regardless of the positive environmental effects that have been threatened.

Global warming is inevitable, nodoby is going to give up their current standards of living and people who odn't have them will not stop aspiring to them. a minor percentage reduction will accomplish nothing. we need a new energy source in any case..

the whole idea of racing being green is nonsense. what do you go to the racetrack for? Speed, Gasoline, and burning rubber not relaxing walks, the smell of French fries and compost.

the whole idea of racing being green is nonsense. what do you go to the racetrack for? Speed, Gasoline, and burning rubber not relaxing walks, the smell of French fries and compost.

I hear you, but if all the cars were electric or somesuch, I would still watch F1. For me it's about the speed and on-track battles, not so much the powerplant. I'd say open up the engine regs to anything, provided it fits into a capacity/RPM/MPG sort of guideline. If Toyota want to run a hybrid and Ferrari want to run a hydrogen lump then have at it. May the best technology win. Sooner or later, using F1's own brand of natural selection, you'd end up with the whole grid using what works best.

I hear you, but if all the cars were electric or somesuch, I would still watch F1. For me it's about the speed and on-track battles, not so much the powerplant. I'd say open up the engine regs to anything, provided it fits into a capacity/RPM/MPG sort of guideline. If Toyota want to run a hybrid and Ferrari want to run a hydrogen lump then have at it. May the best technology win. Sooner or later, using F1's own brand of natural selection, you'd end up with the whole grid using what works best.

I agree with that, let the teams run whatever they want and we'll surely see the best technology on display... I will be sad if ever the day comes when petrol-powered engines disappear from the grid. Particularly if they are replaced with those awful-sounding diesels or silent electric jobs.

If on the other hand, some sort of green nonsense is forced on the teams and F1 ceases to be the fastest series in the world, I shall gladly drop it in a heartbeat.

No.

"However, technical details and issues of governance, control of the regulatory process, had still to be agreed with the FIA although the ruling body announced in August that they and the GPMA were in "full agreement' about the future of the championship".

:thbup:

No.

"However, technical details and issues of governance, control of the regulatory process, had still to be agreed with the FIA although the ruling body announced in August that they and the GPMA were in "full agreement' about the future of the championship".

Hmmm....perhaps I'm misunderstanding the article. It seems to me that it says the GPMA and the FIA were in full agreement about F1's future. That is a vague statement that could mean anything, and when dealing with Mad Max, it's best not to leave such a large opening. The devil is in the details, and the first sentence seems to suggest that the details have yet to be determined.

Just me being cynical.... :D

Good stuff. Now all we need is someone to assassinate Mosely and where good to go :eusa_think:

Good stuff. Now all we need is someone to assassinate Mosely and where good to go :eusa_think:

check other thread, but max plans to retire by 2010.

If Jean Todt becomes the leader i will stop watching the sport. Theres no way he will be a fair candidate considering his corporate allegiance to ferrari

If Jean Todt becomes the leader i will stop watching the sport. Theres no way he will be a fair candidate considering his corporate allegiance to ferrari

I agree but for different reasons. What we need is someone who is p**sed off with the way F1 is run and will bring in changes for the better, changes that will bring back old-time wheel-to-wheel death defying racing amongst men. I'd start with someone like Paul Stoddart.

I agree but for different reasons. What we need is someone who is p**sed off with the way F1 is run and will bring in changes for the better, changes that will bring back old-time wheel-to-wheel death defying racing amongst men. I'd start with someone like Paul Stoddart.