Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chris Strange

Coulthard Expects To Win Races

I'm one of those typical fools who'll sit there all day convinced that anybody can win next season. I don't think i ever put it past anybody to win until the first race of the season.

You can however make relative predictions.

Unlikely as it is - we might even see a Toro Rosso or Spyker winning - we can't rule it out - we can simply deduce it as unlikely.

Spyker are not going to win because they don't have the budget, their plans for next season would only have started stabilizing after the takeover and Gascoigne's arrival, they don't have the aero department or the resources etc etc

STR are not going to win because they are team nuymber two, and eveyrthing that goes with that designation.

Red Bull as a team have flourished and have all the right people.

No they don't and no they haven't. One swallow doesn't make the summer. Newey presides over more or less the same team that designed the mish mash that was this year's car. They have wasted too much time over a pointless desire to switch between two more or less equivalent engines.

Newey is a proven winning value, same to Coulthard - and i believe Webber is just as capable.

'Knowing how to win' is vastly overrated. Ask JV. Bad to have it as your only USP.

Anybody here who actively criticises DC's comments as ludicrous, overly ambitious and so forth - Can't convince me they're serious Formula One fans because any true fan of the sport would recognize that winning is the ultimate goal. Therefore, let Coulthard suggest he can win, none of us are Red Bull Racing employees - We can't say they'll win or they won't. We can only base our predictions on testing, which in the greater scale of things really doesn't help.

Juyst because you live in that delusional hope doesn't mean others have to subscribe to it. You think they can win, fine dream on. You can come back next year and look at this thread.

BTW, nice to have more McLaren people on the BB :thbup:
I will greatly appreciate if would care to become a regular as the McLaren squad has been diminnished after Kimi pulled a Quisling and moved to the Donkeys while the wonderboy (Fernando) moved to us.

Eh? The Alonlo lovers gang has substantially expanded (coincidentally after he won his title, strange :eusa_think: ), you shall have the lot of them next year.

I don't mind people coming up with reason 1 to 10 about why Red Bull have no chance of coming within a whisker of a win next season,

Ok here are 10.

1. The rules are very similar to this year - virtually identical.

2. Red Bull will pay for not switching to Michelin an year earlier. They have strange plans, this year with the big money switch to Ferrari engines and the decision to stick to Michelin, it seemed like it was all about here and now, improving this year. Suddenly after the massive screw ups with the car, everything became about next year. It is pointless to try and excuse their abysmal performance this year by merely saying they were concentrating on next year.

3. Yes another new engine partner, chosen solely because of Mr, Newey's whims.

4. Drivers that are not known for driving out of their skins - a requirement for winning when your car is good, but not good enough, and in situations like rain when drivers can make a difference.

5. That team needs proper management to win, not a pool jumping playboy who loves switching engines every year, and is probably more concerned about the team image and what advertising deal they can grab for Monaco than how to win.

6. Webber is a whinger. You'll see.

7. Two teams - sharing and waste of resources, and now that Berger holds half of the team they cannot neglect it as easily as they could if they could just own both. And now STR have to design their own car.

8. Another idiot manager, I forget his named, but the same one who kicked Klien out and brought Doorknobs in. They have no idea how to treat their drivers. That way the drivers are not going to give a f$%k about the team.

9. aero - their 2006 car is in every sense a generation behind the Ferrari and Renault. However much they may run their wind tunnels, I doubt if they can catch up so soon.

10. No history of success in the sport.

4. Drivers that are not known for driving out of their skins - a requirement for winning when your car is good, but not good enough, and in situations like rain when drivers can make a difference.

Coulthard has won in cars which havent been extremely competitive. If Red Bull can create the 4th best car then DC can win in it.

History means nothing in formula 1. If a clothing brand can win the world championship then why not a energy drink company.

Coulthard has won in cars which havent been extremely competitive. If Red Bull can create the 4th best car then DC can win in it.

The 4th best car means that there will be 6 better cars on track and a team mate that will be the 7th faster car in front of him, I don't think a 4th best car would help DC to win next year.

I won't say that is impossible for DC to win a race next year because I believe in miracles and you have enough faith to make it happend, but there are more poeple using their faith to help another driver so let's wait and see, I would be a big surprise to me if he win a race next year.

I see RB finishing behind Ferrari, Renault, Mclaren, Honda, BMW, Toyota and Williams.

Cavallino - Just to say that it's a view i've expressed, i didn't particularly need to be given the run-down of why what i said is utter rubbish. It's a belief, no need to fluster yourself over it :-) I only have 29 posts remember, i just want to remind you that you can make any presumption, decide anything before-hand - but there is *ALWAYS* A mathematical chance that *ANYBODY* Can win. If there isn't, the sport is a farce.

http://www.toyota-f1.com/public/en/newslist/20051128.html

TF106 Car revealed in November 2005. Two months before the McLaren MP4-21

I am pretty sure Ron went to the press and admitted as much.

The timeline for the MP4-21 (2005 car):

First engine design meeting: August 2004

Engine specification first issue: October 2004

Layout work started on MP4-21: April 2005

First design meeting: April 2005

Gearbox simulation: Mid April 2005

Car specification first issue: May 2005

First scheming of gearbox: May 2005

First dyno test for V8 engine: June 2005

Windtunnel work commences: Early July 2005

First drawing for gearbox: July 2005

Datum sheet Issue, final dimensions: August 2005

First track test for V8 engine: September 2005

Gearbox production begun: September 2005

Chassis manufacturing begun: October 2005

Car mock-up ready:

* Chassis November 2005

* Initial engine November 2005

* Final engine December 2005

First chassis ready for bonding: December 2005

FIA test on first chassis: December 2005

First car build started: December 2005

First car build finished: January 2006

First track test of MP4-21: 23rd January 2006

Cars depart McLaren Technology Centre for first race: Friday 3rd March 2006

I know they started the work on the 22 earlier and put more resources into it since it was ont a contender in any sense of the word.

Regarding chassis, it is not unusual to start chassis maufacturing in october, actually its quite normal.

For example, I heard that Ferrari has 2 chassis and a mockup chassis finished already, and each chassis takes about a month to laminate.

Generally chassis manufacturing begins with the moulding process, that takes a couple of weeks on its own and only then can you start the actual laminating.

Final crash testing for the chassis is also normally done around the middle of december.

Alot of what Toyota have done is not as early as you think when compared to others.

It looks that you can't live with the fact that DC is a good experienced driver and nothing more, and that he'll never going to be WDC... He'll most probably never win a GP again. DC shoud concentrate to qualify regularly in the top ten before speaking such nonsense....

It looks that you can't live with the fact that DC is a good experienced driver and nothing more, and that he'll never going to be WDC... He'll most probably never win a GP again. DC shoud concentrate to qualify regularly in the top ten before speaking such nonsense....

DC managed to win in 1997 when the McLaren wasnt exactly quick. I think it came 4th in the championship. That is why i said what i said. I know Coulthard can win in the 4th best car because he has done it before.

DC managed to win in 1997 when the McLaren wasnt exactly quick. I think it came 4th in the championship. That is why i said what i said. I know Coulthard can win in the 4th best car because he has done it before.

Hahaha, you are one funny and delusionised kid. The 1997 McLaren was fast, only lacked reliability. Williams won 8, Ferrari 5, McLaren 3, and Benneton 1.

Besides, DC was 10 years younger back then than what he is now, and there is absolutely no chance in hell he will be able to win a race unless its an inheritance (see Monaco 3rd 2006).

I only have 29 posts remember

You can have 1 or 10000 posts, it does not matter as long an you show understanding and try to argue your case (as you do).

Hahaha, you are one funny and delusionised kid. The 1997 McLaren was fast, only lacked reliability. Williams won 8, Ferrari 5, McLaren 3, and Benneton 1.

Besides, DC was 10 years younger back then than what he is now, and there is absolutely no chance in hell he will be able to win a race unless its an inheritance (see Monaco 3rd 2006).

I wasnt watching F1 back in 1997 so all i know of it is looking at the statistics. Those statistics tell me that the McLaren was a reasonably slow car in comparison to its competitors as they only managed to come 4th in the championship. Also it was only 9 years ago and Coulthard has given no indication that his reaction times are slowing down such as avoidable accidents etc. If Red Bull create a decent car then Coulthard can win in it. Remember most of Coulthard's victories have come from Adrian Newey built cars so it is a proven combination. That is a fact that is hard to ignore.

I wasnt watching F1 back in 1997 so all i know of it is looking at the statistics. Those statistics tell me that the McLaren was a reasonably slow car in comparison to its competitors as they only managed to come 4th in the championship. Also it was only 9 years ago and Coulthard has given no indication that his reaction times are slowing down such as avoidable accidents etc. If Red Bull create a decent car then Coulthard can win in it. Remember most of Coulthard's victories have come from Adrian Newey built cars so it is a proven combination. That is a fact that is hard to ignore.

-DC and Newey a proven combination? Why not just say that DC and Bridgestone is a proven combination as well? DC was lucky enough to be in a Newey designed racer that turned out to be good. It is not the other way around.

-1997 to 2007 is 10 years.

-DC is not the same racer he was back in 1997. And he looked rather ordinary and uninspired for the last 5 races of this season. Even if hell freezes over and he wins a race or two there is absolutely no way he will have a seat in F1 come 2008.

No they don't and no they haven't. One swallow doesn't make the summer. Newey presides over more or less the same team that designed the mish mash that was this year's car. They have wasted too much time over a pointless desire to switch between two more or less equivalent engines.
Bullcrap. RBR stopped developing their car midway through the season in order to provide sole focus on the newey car, that does not necessarily mean they cannot design a decent car, they just wanted to pour all their focus into the 2007 car because they felt they could achieve more from totally redesigning it than by small developments on the 2006 car
Eh? The Alonlo lovers gang has substantially expanded (coincidentally after he won his title, strange :eusa_think: ), you shall have the lot of them next year.

Another laughable one there. Almost the same as your immense knowledge of F1 in coming to the conclusion that Alonso is a cheat because he ran into a tyre :D and funnily enough i have liked Alonso since watching him race, but my hate of schumacher is bigger than my love for alonso trust me on that one ;)

Ok here are 10.

1. The rules are very similar to this year - virtually identical.

More bullcrap. Not only do they have twice as many sets of tyres to play with, there are going to be changes to qualifying, a single tyre suppiler, all engines limited to 19,000 RPM... the effect being things close up
2. Red Bull will pay for not switching to Michelin an year earlier. They have strange plans, this year with the big money switch to Ferrari engines and the decision to stick to Michelin, it seemed like it was all about here and now, improving this year. Suddenly after the massive screw ups with the car, everything became about next year. It is pointless to try and excuse their abysmal performance this year by merely saying they were concentrating on next year.

RBR have used michelin since they first came into F1... and they stopped developing their car in the middle of the season, so in your infinite wisdom, explain how theyre meant to keep pace on a car they stop developing :D

Sounds like you are describing your own hero there. Needing teammates that defer to him. Just look at him in the 2005 ferrari. No wins (unless you count the amazingly stunning drive at indie against 2 jordans and 2 minardis)
5. That team needs proper management to win, not a pool jumping playboy who loves switching engines every year, and is probably more concerned about the team image and what advertising deal they can grab for Monaco than how to win.

Another funny one there. I guess Dietrich Materschitz became the head of a multi-billion dollar worldwide drinks company by accident :D

6. Webber is a whinger. You'll see.
You slag off everyone who is not a german in a red car, so im gonna put that down to your retardedness, as i have barely ever heard Webber complain, if anything he tends to get on with his job and shut up
7. Two teams - sharing and waste of resources, and now that Berger holds half of the team they cannot neglect it as easily as they could if they could just own both. And now STR have to design their own car.

They didn't neglect STR. they where stuck on the same rev limited engine all year, and had to fight against teams that where constantly revising theirs.

9. aero - their 2006 car is in every sense a generation behind the Ferrari and Renault. However much they may run their wind tunnels, I doubt if they can catch up so soon.
How long have renault been involved with F1? What about Ferrari?. RBR have been in F1 for 2 years, and it is both ignorant, and stupid to expect a title challenging, and race winning car within such a short space. I would also like to say once again what do you expect from a team that stops developing their car

Errrm 2005 was their first year, so what do you expect?

-DC and Newey a proven combination? Why not just say that DC and Bridgestone is a proven combination as well? DC was lucky enough to be in a Newey designed racer that turned out to be good. It is not the other way around.

DC is going to be in another Newey designed car. If he managed to win races in other Newey designed cars then it is perfectly possible he can win in the RB3 which is also a Newey designed car.

-DC is not the same racer he was back in 1997. And he looked rather ordinary and uninspired for the last 5 races of this season. Even if hell freezes over and he wins a race or two there is absolutely no way he will have a seat in F1 come 2008.

Of course he was slow in the last 5 races. Christian Horner has openly admitted that they stopped developing the RB2 in July so while every other team was developing there 2006 car and making them faster the Red Bull car wasnt being developed so it wasnt getting faster. The last 5 races really showed the effect of that decision made by Red Bull.

DC is going to be in another Newey designed car. If he managed to win races in other Newey designed cars then it is perfectly possible he can win in the RB3 which is also a Newey designed car.

No. Its like saying that he should be able to win a Bridgestones. RBR is a very different organisation to let say Willimas in 1996 or McLaren 1998-2003. As cav so aptly quoted Aristotle 'one swallow does not make a summer'. I think that sums up Newey an his impact at RBR.

Of course he was slow in the last 5 races. Christian Horner has openly admitted that they stopped developing the RB2 in July so while every other team was developing there 2006 car and making them faster the Red Bull car wasnt being developed so it wasnt getting faster. The last 5 races really showed the effect of that decision made by Red Bull.

Ofcourse he was slow? What is that a given? They came off a poduim in Monaco and said that they now aimed for wins. Then they managed a 5th in Hungary (again a fluke result), and you want me to believe they wrote the season off after these good results? Why did they even have the need to fire Klien if the season was a writeoff? Your excuses do not hold water.

Ofcourse he was slow? What is that a given? They came off a poduim in Monaco and said that they now aimed for wins. Then they managed a 5th in Hungary (again a fluke result), and you want me to believe they wrote the season off after these good results? Why did they even have the need to fire Klien if the season was a writeoff? Your excuses do not hold water.

The only track where Red Bull was really competitive was Monaco and at the begining of the season Red Bull were fighting for very minor points. Christian Horner decided from around July or August to stop the RB2's development all put all of Red Bull's efforts into designing the RB3. This is a documented fact and i have no idea why you cant accept it. Red Bull made a tactical decision and only when we see the performance of the RB3 will we see if its paid off.

No. Its like saying that he should be able to win a Bridgestones. RBR is a very different organisation to let say Willimas in 1996 or McLaren 1998-2003. As cav so aptly quoted Aristotle 'one swallow does not make a summer'. I think that sums up Newey an his impact at RBR.

Red Bull have a extremely experianced design team as they have taken engineers from McLaren, Renault, Honda and Ferrari. Red Bull have the techniqual team to create a fast car and its only a matter of time until we see if they do create a fast car.

I actually have to say that with all of this debate over the issue, it'd be immensely satisfying to see Red Bull win a race next season.

And just to note above; We've seen before that if any sporting team brings in the right people they start to click within a few years. Heck, Ferrari struggled before Schumacher brought Byrne and Brawn along - 2 or 3 years down the line and they were race winning contenders. I think you have to ignore that RBR as an official team has only existed for 2 seasons because Jaguar, and Stewart before that - Have been in Formula One for an extremely long time. I doubt too many mechanics etc have changed since the Stewart Days, and i simply believe that Newey, Mark Smith and co provide a platform with race winning potential.

And I expect to win the loto next Xmas!!!! :D

Hey David you must realise you are a former F1 driver. Enjoy your last F1 season and keep talking so we last a minute or two more to forget you!

And I expect to win the loto next Xmas!!!! :D

Hey David you must realise you are a former F1 driver. Enjoy your last F1 season and keep talking so we last a minute or two more to forget you!

If i could see the similiarity between RBR having two talented and experienced drivers, a world-class technical team, huge financial backing and therefore optimistic views for a win - and you winning the Lottery on a pre-determined Christmas Date ....... I'd be the one saying that Coulthard is an old cook who should give up. Thankfully, i'm doing the opposite. :)

I cant believe the hype.

1, A lead driver clearly past his best, and has only 1 or if he is very lucky 2 seasons left in him

2, A second driver who has not ever really shined

3, A team that has only ever shown potential as Stewart, Ford completely screwed up that team when they bought it and in the last two years Red Bull never improved the situation.

4, A customer engine, ok its a Renault but I find it hard to believe they can consistently win with it and history says you can only win with a customer engine when all the planets are in alignment.

5, Newey, granted he is very skilled but I think he will find it hard to do a Williams or a Mclaren. One man (who I might add has not designed a champion winning car since 1999) cannot steer the whole team to the top, certainly in just one car build.

6, Management who's sole basis is marketing and stunts, need to focus on one team. If they have been sensible they have let Newey concentrate on the RB3 alone.

Sadly, the main thing I have heard Red Bull fans pinning their hopes on is Newey, I fear this is only going to set them up for a big disappointment.

If Red Bull fails miserably the first thing we will hear is how Sh#t Newey is and what a mistake it was to hire him.

one more point is that red bull do not have a long term future in this sport. the ceo has announced after 2-3 years leaving the sport so motivaton and team will be leaving very soon.

i think most memebers are argueing that dc can win one or 2 races(by luck) but not be a tittle challenger at least for next year if not for later years..

I cant believe the hype.

1, A lead driver clearly past his best, and has only 1 or if he is very lucky 2 seasons left in him

2, A second driver who has not ever really shined

3, A team that has only ever shown potential as Stewart, Ford completely screwed up that team when they bought it and in the last two years Red Bull never improved the situation.

4, A customer engine, ok its a Renault but I find it hard to believe they can consistently win with it and history says you can only win with a customer engine when all the planets are in alignment.

5, Newey, granted he is very skilled but I think he will find it hard to do a Williams or a Mclaren. One man (who I might add has not designed a champion winning car since 1999) cannot steer the whole team to the top, certainly in just one car build.

6, Management who's sole basis is marketing and stunts, need to focus on one team. If they have been sensible they have let Newey concentrate on the RB3 alone.

Sadly, the main thing I have heard Red Bull fans pinning their hopes on is Newey, I fear this is only going to set them up for a big disappointment.

If Red Bull fails miserably the first thing we will hear is how Sh#t Newey is and what a mistake it was to hire him.

Very good post, and all too true.

The homolgated Renault will not be equal for both teams as the one submitted earlier to the FIA will not have the finetuning of the one the factory team willl put into their cars. Eg, the customer engine will not be as powerfull at lower revs as the factory teams engine.

Ah, DC's yearly prediction. What would Formula One be without it?

Dammit, I'm with ykick on this. DC will step into that sleek, Newey-built can of Red Bull and pull off a win or three.

I'm still deciding if I believe that or not...........

Ah, DC's yearly prediction. What would Formula One be without it?

In rwality DC didnt say that he was going to win next year and it wasnt a prediction. The press have just made a story out of very little information.

Dammit, I'm with ykick on this. DC will step into that sleek, Newey-built can of Red Bull and pull off a win or three.

It is rather scary when someone agree's with me.

I'm still deciding if I believe that or not...........

Off course you believe it :P

It is rather scary when someone agree's with me.

I know the feeling, happened to me once. Makes you stay up at night wondering what you did wrong :(

I know the feeling, happened to me once. Makes you stay up at night wondering what you did wrong :(

Now im curious. What on earth did we agree about? :eusa_think: