Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pabloh20

Guitarists!

You're not kidding - you pick up that guitar, caress it lovingly, plug it in to the amp and then expect to hear those wonderful opening chords of Layla........sigh :lol: As Eric Morecambe once said - I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order! I have to be fair, though, I enjoy playing, as bad as I am, I still enjoy playing and I think that's all that matters in the end.

I never pressurise my little fella, I just play it loud - they always like that, don't they ? :D . He likes to run the slide up & down the strings and he likes using the wah wah pedal. I just hope eventually he wants to play. Just have to wait and see.

Sounds like your little lad has a wide a varied influnce - very cool. Is that the only one you have of Satriani?

Ahh, early Fleetwood Mac - I have been to see Pete Green and the Splinter group a couple of times, but would have loved to seen early Mac, especially with Jeremy Spencer.

Just think of how many concerts you're going to have to take him to!! :D

Bold: He he. Indeedy.

Yes, I think any instrument played in front of a young child really captures their imagination - and as long as that happens I'll be happy.

His influence is a bit of me I suppose - 'cos he's around when I have me tunes on. The missus has a large range of tastes though, from classic punk through to what I call we call California Rock. We had to explain at an early age that swearing was a no no - playing punk loud presented a wee problem with the language :blush:

Surfing with the Alien is the only one we have of Satriani, but I've heard a little more and should get my bum into gear and do a bit of album shopping.

Pete Green. Big time hero! Some friends of my parents took me to see Fleetwood Mac when I was a teenager, must have been '69/70 I think - couldn't get Green Manalishi and Oh Well 1+2 out of my head for ages...

Concerts yeah. Can't wait - some friends have said the Australian Pink Floyd are excellent, they are playing here soon so that should be worth a trip.

Just an aside from a softy. When he was born, the day we brought him home from the hospital we were determined the first music he would here was going to be good and something that makes you feel damn fine. At the mo I can't remember the name (I'm at work) of the track, but I think it was the last one of the sound track from Local Hero (Mark Knopfler), think it might be 'Coming Home'. We played it as soon as we got home, even now he falls asleep to it B)

Steve it is.

Okay, so i've got every album, Ep, bootleg, single, picture disc, poster, coaster, sew on badge, window sticker, wrist band, watch, mug, plate, DVD, flag, banner, mouse mat and audio cassette (remember them?) by Westlife. I CAN'T HIDE IT ANYMORE! I LOVE THEM!!!!!!!!!!

You aren't a true fan. You don't have the Westlife condoms.......

Bold: He he. Indeedy.

Yes, I think any instrument played in front of a young child really captures their imagination - and as long as that happens I'll be happy.

His influence is a bit of me I suppose - 'cos he's around when I have me tunes on. The missus has a large range of tastes though, from classic punk through to what I call we call California Rock. We had to explain at an early age that swearing was a no no - playing punk loud presented a wee problem with the language :blush:

Surfing with the Alien is the only one we have of Satriani, but I've heard a little more and should get my bum into gear and do a bit of album shopping.

Pete Green. Big time hero! Some friends of my parents took me to see Fleetwood Mac when I was a teenager, must have been '69/70 I think - couldn't get Green Manalishi and Oh Well 1+2 out of my head for ages...

Concerts yeah. Can't wait - some friends have said the Australian Pink Floyd are excellent, they are playing here soon so that should be worth a trip.

Just an aside from a softy. When he was born, the day we brought him home from the hospital we were determined the first music he would here was going to be good and something that makes you feel damn fine. At the mo I can't remember the name (I'm at work) of the track, but I think it was the last one of the sound track from Local Hero (Mark Knopfler), think it might be 'Coming Home'. We played it as soon as we got home, even now he falls asleep to it B)

Yeah, they do like it - the only thing is they ask you to play teletubbies and such like!! :lol:

If you don't mind me being presumptious, I would recommend you get Flying In A Blue Dream, by Satriani - I think it will have more tracks on it that you will like, if you like Surfing With The Alien. That's not to say Surfing is not a good CD, but you seem to have similar tastes to me and I would get Flying first. Also, if you can find a vid of him playing Big Bad Moon then watch it - it blew me away when I saw it in the documentary in the run up to Sevilla 92 concerts. I thought he must be hamming it up for the vid, then I saw him play it live - wow! :D

There are quite a few distinguished musicians who reckon the British music scene would have taken a slightly different path, or at least branched out on a different path, if Pete Green had stayed in it, that's how highly they rated him. I have a CD signed by Pete Green and the Splinter group and got to say hello to Pete - whoohooo!! :D

I have always just listened to all my normal stuff with my lad and he does like quite a few decent tracks now - Alright Now, Layla, It's A Long Way To The Top (If You Want To Rock n Roll), etc - makes me proud!

You know those times you wish you had your camcorder rolling but didn't? Well I was playing Alright Now and Jack was singing on a microphone/amp thing he has - we're giving it the bifters. I start playing some solos and he carries on singing, doesn't move from the mic and just gives me the :thbup: sign! He was 3 at the time - I nearly dropped my guitar with laughing!! :lol:

Yeah, they do like it - the only thing is they ask you to play teletubbies and such like!! :lol:

If you don't mind me being presumptious, I would recommend you get Flying In A Blue Dream, by Satriani - I think it will have more tracks on it that you will like, if you like Surfing With The Alien. That's not to say Surfing is not a good CD, but you seem to have similar tastes to me and I would get Flying first. Also, if you can find a vid of him playing Big Bad Moon then watch it - it blew me away when I saw it in the documentary in the run up to Sevilla 92 concerts. I thought he must be hamming it up for the vid, then I saw him play it live - wow! :D

There are quite a few distinguished musicians who reckon the British music scene would have taken a slightly different path, or at least branched out on a different path, if Pete Green had stayed in it, that's how highly they rated him. I have a CD signed by Pete Green and the Splinter group and got to say hello to Pete - whoohooo!! :D

I have always just listened to all my normal stuff with my lad and he does like quite a few decent tracks now - Alright Now, Layla, It's A Long Way To The Top (If You Want To Rock n Roll), etc - makes me proud!

You know those times you wish you had your camcorder rolling but didn't? Well I was playing Alright Now and Jack was singing on a microphone/amp thing he has - we're giving it the bifters. I start playing some solos and he carries on singing, doesn't move from the mic and just gives me the :thbup: sign! He was 3 at the time - I nearly dropped my guitar with laughing!! :lol:

Awesome :D The wee ones give us so much pleasure, and at 3 yrs old - magic!! - and I love the way they couldn't give a toss who's watching at that age. Shame we change... Hey, that's probably what makes a rock star anyway, they don't follow the herd!!

Good stuff (and true) about Pete Green, it's always a buzz to meet these people innit? Though I think we are still very lucky to have such a great and varied music scene within the English language (across here and the US, and Inxs Ykick!!) - and I especially love the sense of humour that came out of bands like Madness, Blur etc.

I had a peek at Limewire last night (for downloads) so will get stuck into downloads tonight, I'll take your advice and start with Flying In A Blue Dream. And dust off the air guitar B)

Even though we have tried to show Harry many different types of music - from calssical thru to punk, Blues, Jazz, Pop - we were devastated the other night, and had to ban H from the pc. He listened to girls Aloud. Bread and water should do the trick :naughty:

Awesome :D The wee ones give us so much pleasure, and at 3 yrs old - magic!! - and I love the way they couldn't give a toss who's watching at that age. Shame we change... Hey, that's probably what makes a rock star anyway, they don't follow the herd!!

Good stuff (and true) about Pete Green, it's always a buzz to meet these people innit? Though I think we are still very lucky to have such a great and varied music scene within the English language (across here and the US, and Inxs Ykick!!) - and I especially love the sense of humour that came out of bands like Madness, Blur etc.

I had a peek at Limewire last night (for downloads) so will get stuck into downloads tonight, I'll take your advice and start with Flying In A Blue Dream. And dust off the air guitar B)

Even though we have tried to show Harry many different types of music - from calssical thru to punk, Blues, Jazz, Pop - we were devastated the other night, and had to ban H from the pc. He listened to girls Aloud. Bread and water should do the trick :naughty:

:lol:

Yeah, he's always been good at holding a tune from a young age - you always knew what he was singing, even before he was 2 yrs old. Maybe he's going to be a singer, rather than a guitarist :eusa_think::lol:

Yep, we do have a very varied music scene. It's just a pity some great artists died way before their time......It's tempting to start another thread - if you had a time machine and you could see anyone in concert at any point in time so far, who would it be and why :eusa_think: It would have to be limited to 10 concerts or something, though!! :D

Dust off that air guitar and get going! As Spinal Tap say about Satriani - I can see where his fingers start and I can see where his fingers end up, it's the bit in the middle I can't figure out!

Hold the bread....... :lol:

You aren't a true fan. You don't have the Westlife condoms.......

I do, but they are Indian ones, they don't have all the band members on them........

I do, but they are Indian ones, they don't have all the band members on them........

:lol: That is so wrong........but strangely amusing.

Saw Eric Bibb on Jools Holland's show last night. Very impressed. Detected a faint Zeppelin flavour. May have to purchase some of his stuff.

Oh hell, I just spit out my coffee.....

I play guitar myself and it is a pretty cool instrument to learn because its so versitle and will suite any genre of music. I dont know if many of you will know my choices (I wont put down the obvious like Hendrix, Satriani, Vai etc) but I will put links below the name of the guitarist so you could see a vid of them in action.

Zakk Wylde

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OOrWqIzgxU (acoustic skills/Singing)

(Solo Skills)

Michael Angelo Batio

(His own song)

Dimebag Darrell Abbott RIP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkfphAF56Fk (Good Metal Guitarist)

Thats some for now I got more but I think that Zakk wylde for me is king (for this generation/era) but the other 2 were added as they are different types of genre/style.

I play guitar myself and it is a pretty cool instrument to learn because its so versitle and will suite any genre of music. I dont know if many of you will know my choices (I wont put down the obvious like Hendrix, Satriani, Vai etc) but I will put links below the name of the guitarist so you could see a vid of them in action.

Zakk Wylde

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OOrWqIzgxU (acoustic skills/Singing)

(Solo Skills)

Michael Angelo Batio

(His own song)

Dimebag Darrell Abbott RIP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkfphAF56Fk (Good Metal Guitarist)

Thats some for now I got more but I think that Zakk wylde for me is king (for this generation/era) but the other 2 were added as they are different types of genre/style.

I have only just managed to get to watch these as I can't watch them in work and I am not getting too much free time at home at the moment!! :lol:

Anyway, I quite enjoyed those, 5p33 (not sure what else to call you, sorry). I had heard of Zakk, but not seen/heard him play before, at least I don't think I have (I have a very bad memory :D ). I particularly enjoyed the acoustic. What cd/stuff would you recommend for a first time listener of his music ?

I didn't think I'd heard of Batio, but I have actually heard that before somwehere, but I have no idea where - as I say, poor memory.

The only thing I would like to ask is that you when you said you didn't put down the obvious of Hendrix, etc - is that because you don't like them/rate them, or because they had already been discussed?

I know I have dragged this one out from the dead. Its been 2 years since a post :lol:

But I have to say my favourite guitarist of all time would have to be Hendrix, followed closely by Carlos Santana, then Dave Grohl of the Foo Fighters.

Tenacious D are pretty handy with guitars too, totally love Jables and Kage! :lol:

I know I have dragged this one out from the dead. Its been 2 years since a post :lol:

But I have to say my favourite guitarist of all time would have to be Hendrix, followed closely by Carlos Santana, then Dave Grohl of the Foo Fighters.

Tenacious D are pretty handy with guitars too, totally love Jables and Kage! :lol:

Geez, this is a blast from the past.

Tenacious D are superb, unfortunately I can only listen to them when I am in the car by myself, because of obvious reasons with a 6yr old! :lol:

I am actually going to see Buddy Guy on Sunday, my Mum & Dad got me a ticket for my birthday, so I am really looking forward to that as I have never seen Buddy live.

On a sad note, Jeff Healey died, after a battle against cancer. Such a shame, great guitarist.

Blackmore, Tommy Emmanuel and Michael Hedges. And Phil Campbell actually. And Jan Akkerman come to think of it.

But if I had to pick one, it would always be Blackmore.

Blackmore, Tommy Emmanuel and Michael Hedges. And Phil Campbell actually. And Jan Akkerman come to think of it.

But if I had to pick one, it would always be Blackmore.

Steve Vai, crying machine, bad horsie.

Big David Gilmour cleans it up for me.

No one else makes me want to pick up my guitar more than him. Anyone who hasn't yet go out and grab the Remember that Night DVD. It's worth it just for echoes.

Not forgetting bass guitarists:

- Jaco Pastorius (if you've heard of him you'll know how good he is)

- Mick Karn, ex Japan - made fretless bass playing an artform

- John Giblin mate of Kate Bush amongst others. Awesome geezer.

Not forgetting bass guitarists:

- Jaco Pastorius (if you've heard of him you'll know how good he is)

Agreed, he was the effing man.

Well, I went to see Buddy Guy last night and man, what a concert and what a showman. One of the most enjoyable concerts I have been to.

I have quite a few videos which include Buddy as part of the line up, but you just don't get the full experience of the dynamics of his playing on those. He did his usual trick of walking off stage whilst playing and went right through the audience, upstairs as well! Sat next to people and even on people whilst playing. Had the crowd eating out of his hand! :lol:

Well, I went to see Buddy Guy last night and man, what a concert and what a showman. One of the most enjoyable concerts I have been to.

I have quite a few videos which include Buddy as part of the line up, but you just don't get the full experience of the dynamics of his playing on those. He did his usual trick of walking off stage whilst playing and went right through the audience, upstairs as well! Sat next to people and even on people whilst playing. Had the crowd eating out of his hand! :lol:

Sounds brilliant. Hendrix was influenced by Guy. That tells you all you need to know really.

If only Westlife did that thing going through the audience. They could keep going to the back, leave the theatre and fall into a vat of boiling acid. Now, i would pay to watch that.

If only Westlife did that thing going through the audience. They could keep going to the back, leave the theatre and fall into a vat of boiling acid. Now, i would pay to watch that.

Seems a shame to waste all that money on acid.... I think self inflicted ritual disembowelment would be a more efficient way of getting rid of them. :D

Then they would be "dying without sings" :D

Then they would be "dying without sings" :D

*dribbler laughs then just has to groan a little bit*.

John Goodsall from Brand X http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmP8NC2EOLE

Ah Brand X.... Moroccan Roll and Unorthodox Behaviour. Two classic albums when Phil Collins was still "good". Percy Jones played bass then, though I think.....

Well if you liked that stuff, then another good plank-spanker was Al Di Meola...

Whilst I mention Phil Collins, I read a thing recently about how he got his (very distinctive) drumming sound - apparently they treated the sound of his drums using something called a reverse gate. In the 80s very hard to set up apparently especially live (although nowadays a doddle). This is a an electronic gizmo that changes the shape of the sound waveform to give a harder more punchy sound to the drums (and I just thought it was 'cos he was a good drummer!)