Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pabloh20

Guitarists!

Just found out after a bit of searching, Bruce, that it's called Stranglehold - typical of my Dad to write the wrong song title down!! :D

Ah stranglehold great Ted song, give the above ones a listen too also :thbup:

Lindsay Buckingham

:thbup: respect for that choice. probably the most under rated musician out there. he practically carried most of the modern Fleetwood mac through....his guitar style is very unique...

and for my personal favourite, I like Mark Knopfler, most of the guitarists mentioned above can play better solos in their sleep than knopfler, but when it comes to playing the intrument beautifully and making music come alive using the strings, knopfler has few equals...

Django Reinhardt for showing us all what the blues guitar can be...

Mike Campbell of Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers is really good live on stage....

Anne Wilson of Heart(Nancy was no slouch eigther)

Big hair, awesome live album and that 'voice vox box thing'. Frampton Comes alive; Do you feel like i do?

Never did like Frampton much. Just never inspired me.

What a misery. Let me guess, it's either the smell of fibre glass that's getting you down or you have been listening to Cohen too much?

:and for my personal favourite, I like Mark Knopfler, most of the guitarists mentioned above can play better solos in their sleep than knopfler, but when it comes to playing the intrument beautifully and making music come alive using the strings, knopfler has few equals...

Think you're being a tad harsh there, to be honest. When you look back at some of the stuff he's done, I mean the guy can play and he doesn't go over the top just for the sake of doing it.

Personally, as I said earlier, I think when he plays mellow, or beautifully as you put it, then there's few that can touch him. His latest CD with Emmylou Harris is very good, in my opinion.

Think you're being a tad harsh there, to be honest. When you look back at some of the stuff he's done, I mean the guy can play and he doesn't go over the top just for the sake of doing it.

Personally, as I said earlier, I think when he plays mellow, or beautifully as you put it, then there's few that can touch him. His latest CD with Emmylou Harris is very good, in my opinion.

yes thats what I meant, no over the top solos just for the sake of having one in the song. All his guitar work is blended nicely into his songs. If you really like him you should listen to some of his soundtrack work, local hero, cal metroland, all very very nice!

yes thats what I meant, no over the top solos just for the sake of having one in the song. All his guitar work is blended nicely into his songs. If you really like him you should listen to some of his soundtrack work, local hero, cal metroland, all very very nice!

Ahh I see, sorry stopkidding, it's when you said others can play better solos in their sleep - that was the bit I thought a tad harsh!! :lol:

Yeah, there's probably technically more proficient guitarists, blindingly fast playing, tapping, single handed arpeggios :blink: , etc, but that's not all, in my opinion. Basically, it has to work - in that I mean it doesn't matter how it's done as long as it sounds right. If it happens that playing amazingly fast works, great, or playing a single note works, great too. Knopfler can play an effective solo in most types of music.

Lindsay Buckingham

More than slightly off topic, but this reminded me of the barely guitar-proficient band Half Man Half Biscuit and their beautiful lyric

"Stevie Nick(')s books about Kleptomania"

More than slightly off topic, but this reminded me of the barely guitar-proficient band Half Man Half Biscuit and their beautiful lyric

"Stevie Nick(')s books about Kleptomania"

the recent Stevie Nicks sounds like an out of tune V8 engine with a cracked engine block, she used to sound like a fine ferrari decades ago...

the recent Stevie Nicks sounds like an out of tune V8 engine with a cracked engine block, she used to sound like a fine ferrari decades ago...

Listening to Rumours now....... :D

She's more like a horizontally opposed six rather than an eight. Her early work was flat four, she then went through a four cylinder diesel phase (60 fags a day) and peaked on 'Rumours' with the indistinguishable resonance of a straight six with the creamy smoothness of a seven main bearing crank'.

Westlife are milkfloat with dying battery.

She's more like a horizontally opposed six rather than an eight. Her early work was flat four, she then went through a four cylinder diesel phase (60 fags a day) and peaked on 'Rumours' with the indistinguishable resonance of a straight six with the creamy smoothness of a seven main bearing crank'.

Westlife are milkfloat with dying battery.

Cracking analogy, Steve (I have got this right now - you are Steve aren't you ?) :lol:

Ok, give to me straight, Drib Man, do you like Westlife or not ? :eusa_think:

Damn it, I need to get on this forum more!

One of the best threads ever Pabloh :clap3:

I've just spent the last half an hour being reminded of all the music I've forgotten about over time - ashamed of myself.

Now where are all those TRULY free download sites? Joe Satriani here I come....

Damn it, I need to get on this forum more!

One of the best threads ever Pabloh :clap3:

I've just spent the last half an hour being reminded of all the music I've forgotten about over time - ashamed of myself.

Now where are all those TRULY free download sites? Joe Satriani here I come....

Glad you like it Medilloni, though it wasn't really my idea - a few of us thought it would be a good to have a thread about guitarists and I just started it. I think we were moaning in the Westlife thread about music and such like!! :lol:

Nevertheless, I think it has worked as I wanted to hear about new guitarists and there's certainly been a fair few in this thread to check out. Nice timing with Christmas around the corner, now let me get my Santa Claus present list........ :D

Glad you like it Medilloni, though it wasn't really my idea - a few of us thought it would be a good to have a thread about guitarists and I just started it. I think we were moaning in the Westlife thread about music and such like!! :lol:

Nevertheless, I think it has worked as I wanted to hear about new guitarists and there's certainly been a fair few in this thread to check out. Nice timing with Christmas around the corner, now let me get my Santa Claus present list........ :D

Strange you should mention Christmas list, don't tell anyone, but Santa is bringing an electric guitar and amp for my youngest. Proud to say at 9, he's into heavy metal and blues guitar. Should be a nice noisy one this year :D

Strange you should mention Christmas list, don't tell anyone, but Santa is bringing an electric guitar and amp for my youngest. Proud to say at 9, he's into heavy metal and blues guitar. Should be a nice noisy one this year :D

I've been trying to get my Son interested in playing the guitar, he's 5, but he doesn't show any interest yet :( Ah well, there's still time. :)

Can't get much better than that - heavy metal & blues guitar, bliss! :lol: I wish I had started learning to play the guitar earlier in life, when I had more time on my hands. I was in my 20s and you just don't get the same free time to learn when you're working, etc.

Who's the guitarist he's aspiring to be, Medilloni?

Cracking analogy, Steve (I have got this right now - you are Steve aren't you ?) :lol:

Ok, give to me straight, Drib Man, do you like Westlife or not ? :eusa_think:

Steve it is.

Okay, so i've got every album, Ep, bootleg, single, picture disc, poster, coaster, sew on badge, window sticker, wrist band, watch, mug, plate, DVD, flag, banner, mouse mat and audio cassette (remember them?) by Westlife. I CAN'T HIDE IT ANYMORE! I LOVE THEM!!!!!!!!!!

I've been trying to get my Son interested in playing the guitar, he's 5, but he doesn't show any interest yet :( Ah well, there's still time. :)

Can't get much better than that - heavy metal & blues guitar, bliss! :lol:I wish I had started learning to play the guitar earlier in life, when I had more time on my hands. I was in my 20s and you just don't get the same free time to learn when you're working, etc.

Who's the guitarist he's aspiring to be, Medilloni?

So so true. Painful innit? I've learnt 7 chords in 20 years....

My wee one started at 6 and got fed up, found the best way is to make sure there's no pressure, just keep having games playing the air guitar and play it LOUD :) He's picked it up over the last year, takes guitar at school now and loves it.

Who's he aspiring to? Not sure really. Loves locking himself in his room to: Gary Moore, Black Sabbath, Pat Benatar, Red Hot Chilies, Motorhead, Jeff Beck, Muddy Waters and once caught him air-mikeing to Louis Armstrong - I had a tear in my eye :blush:

I think his fave at the moment is Surfing With the Alien (Joe Satriani) - must get the album, we've just got the single on a compilation CD. Blew him away recently with Fleetwood Mac - before they got spoilt ;) it was Albatross that did the trick....

EDIT: Just trying to think how it all started, he got into staying in the kitchen - we usually cook to music (!?). Now there's a thing, what can I cook to Girls Aloud? Jelly? Anything tasteless?

HEY! Only kidding. Don't mean to upset anyone!

So so true. Painful innit? I've learnt 7 chords in 20 years....

My wee one started at 6 and got fed up, found the best way is to make sure there's no pressure, just keep having games playing the air guitar and play it LOUD :) He's picked it up over the last year, takes guitar at school now and loves it.

Who's he aspiring to? Not sure really. Loves locking himself in his room to: Gary Moore, Black Sabbath, Pat Benatar, Red Hot Chilies, Motorhead, Jeff Beck, Muddy Waters and once caught him air-mikeing to Louis Armstrong - I had a tear in my eye :blush:

I think his fave at the moment is Surfing With the Alien (Joe Satriani) - must get the album, we've just got the single on a compilation CD. Blew him away recently with Fleetwood Mac - before they got spoilt ;) it was Albatross that did the trick....

EDIT: Just trying to think how it all started, he got into staying in the kitchen - we usually cook to music (!?). Now there's a thing, what can I cook to Girls Aloud? Jelly? Anything tasteless?

HEY! Only kidding. Don't mean to upset anyone!

You're not kidding - you pick up that guitar, caress it lovingly, plug it in to the amp and then expect to hear those wonderful opening chords of Layla........sigh :lol: As Eric Morecambe once said - I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order! I have to be fair, though, I enjoy playing, as bad as I am, I still enjoy playing and I think that's all that matters in the end.

I never pressurise my little fella, I just play it loud - they always like that, don't they ? :D . He likes to run the slide up & down the strings and he likes using the wah wah pedal. I just hope eventually he wants to play. Just have to wait and see.

Sounds like your little lad has a wide a varied influnce - very cool. Is that the only one you have of Satriani?

Ahh, early Fleetwood Mac - I have been to see Pete Green and the Splinter group a couple of times, but would have loved to seen early Mac, especially with Jeremy Spencer.

Just think of how many concerts you're going to have to take him to!! :D